Tennessee Mike
09-23-2008, 02:45 PM
Most impressive deadlift set ever.Un ****ing real

thoughtshewas18
09-23-2008, 02:48 PM
what a freaking BEAST

joey54
09-23-2008, 03:33 PM
I hope no one comments about the straps because that was freaking insane.

thewicked
09-23-2008, 03:36 PM
:omg::omg::omg::omg::omg:

Gable
09-23-2008, 03:55 PM
Wow...just freakin WOW...

McLaughlin
09-23-2008, 04:24 PM
That's one of the coolest things I've seen in a while.... he didn't use a mixed grip, which is strange to me but hell, it obviously works for him.. lol.

=Travis=
09-23-2008, 04:34 PM
That's one of the coolest things I've seen in a while.... he didn't use a mixed grip, which is strange to me but hell, it obviously works for him.. lol.

Because he used straps.

McLaughlin
09-23-2008, 05:14 PM
I see.

I don't know anything about straps or belts or any of that.

Lones Green
09-23-2008, 05:23 PM
i saw that on PL watch and was amazed. the guy has an amazingly strong trunk.

about the straps, its still very impressive with the straps, but without them it would be even more impressive. i would think his grip strength must be quite good with all the lifting he does, but then again it is 815 for 3 reps.

joey54
09-23-2008, 06:43 PM
i saw that on PL watch and was amazed. the guy has an amazingly strong trunk.

about the straps, its still very impressive with the straps, but without them it would be even more impressive. i would think his grip strength must be quite good with all the lifting he does, but then again it is 815 for 3 reps.

Right on! Straps or no straps, impressive as hell. If he was wearing a belt it was still impressive as hell. That is pure brute power there. And, I am sure his grip strength is just fine.

Ben Moore
09-23-2008, 07:04 PM
He's cleaned and pressed the inch dumbbell - his grip is fine...;)

dumbbell
09-23-2008, 07:59 PM
Freakin' AWESOME!

And it's just another day at the gym.

Animal.

Big_Byrd52
09-23-2008, 08:41 PM
what is he? STRONGMAN I ASSUME? dam caps... i personally love seeing strongman do the real DL cause it really puts things in perspective. u kinda get numb to what they are doin cause everyone else there is doin it and the weights arent really known most of the time. but ive recently seen mark felix do 881, kevin nee do 903, this guy do 815x3... all truly impressive

Ben Moore
09-23-2008, 09:16 PM
Sam - he's a pro strongman that competes in IFSA (did?) Search his name on youtube - he's got some crazy videos.

Ben Moore
09-23-2008, 09:21 PM
65jovqRDaDs&hl

Big o Boy
09-23-2008, 09:39 PM
wow... that was nasty.

Bohizzle
09-23-2008, 10:05 PM
ridiculous. He also used to be a 105+ kg weightlifter for russia.

Lones Green
09-24-2008, 03:30 AM
yeah, the guy is very well rounded. powerlifter, oly lifter, strongman, i think i even read something about him doing the highland games.

that would have been impressive even in a suit.

Brad08
09-24-2008, 06:18 AM
another lifter doing 420, on Koklyaev's youtube page

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xB-3NQctsdo

RhodeHouse
09-24-2008, 06:52 AM
Real lifters do it without straps.

nhlfan
09-24-2008, 01:56 PM
that was freaknasty

3whitelights
09-24-2008, 02:10 PM
Real lifters do it without straps.

Is this to imply that Misha isn't a real lifter? If so, I'm wondering about the logic here.

He is a strongman, not a powerlifter, so he will most likely not be judged on how he holds his deadlifts in training. Many strongmen use straps in training to prevent bicep tears and to really focus on all the other muscles, as well as to let the grip recover from regular grip training, farmers walks, etc.

Also, it's not like he's got a weak grip. I'm pretty sure he holds the world record on the axle (thick bar) clean and press, with a double overhand grip.

vdizenzo
09-24-2008, 02:17 PM
Very strong, but I am never overly impressed when dl's are done with straps. I follow strongman and I am a fan of Misha.

Ben Moore
09-24-2008, 02:29 PM
Is this to imply that Misha isn't a real lifter? If so, I'm wondering about the logic here.

He is a strongman, not a powerlifter, so he will most likely not be judged on how he holds his deadlifts in training. Many strongmen use straps in training to prevent bicep tears and to really focus on all the other muscles, as well as to let the grip recover from regular grip training, farmers walks, etc.

Also, it's not like he's got a weak grip. I'm pretty sure he holds the world record on the axle (thick bar) clean and press, with a double overhand grip.

Relax man - I'm pretty sure Rhodes said that tongue in cheek.

3whitelights
09-24-2008, 06:39 PM
Relax man - I'm pretty sure Rhodes said that tongue in cheek.

That's what I figured at first, but it's tough to detect internet sarcasm. That's why I asked rather than jumped on his case. Everything else in my post still holds.

Jinkies
09-24-2008, 09:26 PM
They are aloud to use straps in competition.

so he trains with straps....

nuff said.

BradDunn
09-29-2008, 12:54 PM
I had the pleasure and honor of competing with Misha In Ukraine and Finland in August and he is a phenominal athlete. Yes, very well rounded and a great strongman.
Concerning the straps, big deal. Our grip is tested in other ways and straps are not always allowed. Training to pull three singles in a powerlifting meet is different than having to carry 350lb farmers walk cylinders in each hand, doing a helacious arm-over-arm pull, then deadlift 770lbs for reps in the same day, as we did in Finland.
I do not mean this in an arguementative sense, just saying that it is all impressive in its own rite. I train with and w/out straps in training based on what other things/events I am using my grip for.
Anyway, bottom line is Misha is an animal!

BTW, Glad to be back on the board. I have had a long absence due to many factors but everything is looking good and I am stoked about my training and preparations for competing again when the opportunity presents itself.

RhodeHouse
09-29-2008, 09:25 PM

I am a big fan of Misha. He was my favorite of the IFSA athletes. But, I just watched Andy Bolton do 5 reps with 800lbs with NO STRAPS. He would've done a few more if the collar didn't fall off.

I never said I thougbt he was weak or had a weak grip. I'm just not impressed with the use of straps on a pull. I think that's the worst part about strongman contests. If they are "strongmen", why do they have to use straps? Grip is a test of strength, just as much as the whole pull, itself. I'd LOVE to wear straps as a powerlifter. I have no doubt I'd pull 800. I'm just against the use of straps on the pull.

chris mason
09-29-2008, 09:33 PM
I am a big fan of Misha. He was my favorite of the IFSA athletes. But, I just watched Andy Bolton do 5 reps with 800lbs with NO STRAPS. He would've done a few more if the collar didn't fall off.

I never said I thougbt he was weak or had a weak grip. I'm just not impressed with the use of straps on a pull. I think that's the worst part about strongman contests. If they are "strongmen", why do they have to use straps? Grip is a test of strength, just as much as the whole pull, itself. I'd LOVE to wear straps as a powerlifter. I have no doubt I'd pull 800. I'm just against the use of straps on the pull.

Lol, you're just grumpy!

I understand why strongmen use the straps. They have a lot of thick handled apparatus and other tests of grip strength. They are using the deadlift as a test of hip and back strength.

Any way you slice it, pulling 800+ lbs for reps is silly strong!

Kenny-SFW
09-30-2008, 02:10 AM
Just watched in person this weekend Andy Bolton deadlift 800 for 5 reps he only stopped because the collar came off one side and the weights fell off. It looked like he was doing speed work. No Straps!!!!! :omg:

=Travis=
09-30-2008, 07:31 AM

Well then that brings the gear argument then. It would be the same as a raw versus a geared squat.

mjc1021
09-30-2008, 09:11 AM
Wow, that was super strong.

RhodeHouse
09-30-2008, 10:25 AM
Well then that brings the gear argument then. It would be the same as a raw versus a geared squat.

I knew this was coming. It wouldn't be a raw vs. geared squat. It would be raw vs. geared deadlift. If you read my post, I said, "I'd LOVE to wear straps as a powerlifter." I'm as big of a gear whore as there is. I just don't like straps on the deadlift. And, I pull raw, so I'm really against straps. Like Chris said, I understand why they use straps. Thick handled apparatii and the pull is a test of hip, leg, and back strength for a strongman.

This is not a raw vs. geared topic. It's about my opinion on straps and the deadlift.

=Travis=
09-30-2008, 10:55 AM
I knew this was coming. It wouldn't be a raw vs. geared squat. It would be raw vs. geared deadlift. If you read my post, I said, "I'd LOVE to wear straps as a powerlifter." I'm as big of a gear whore as there is. I just don't like straps on the deadlift. And, I pull raw, so I'm really against straps. Like Chris said, I understand why they use straps. Thick handled apparatii and the pull is a test of hip, leg, and back strength for a strongman.

This is not a raw vs. geared topic. It's about my opinion on straps and the deadlift.

Oh, I agree there is a difference between straps and no straps, I just figured I'd make the analogy.

Travis Bell
09-30-2008, 11:12 AM
Lets not have that debate again. Raw v. Gear has been discussed enough

Ben Moore
09-30-2008, 11:17 AM
RAW!!!

=Travis=
09-30-2008, 11:24 AM

LOL - I didn't mean to start that but I knew that was a possibility of making such a comment.

RhodeHouse
09-30-2008, 12:49 PM

No argument here. I'm a total gear all the way guy. But, I have some injuries, so I'm a raw all the way guy, now. Gear is for cheaters.