PDA

View Full Version : Correcting imbalance

BBShort
09-25-2008, 03:16 PM
When doing any upper body work my left arm is noticably weaker than my right (I'm right handed), and also a bit smaller. It hasn't been a big problem until recently and now I have discomfort in the elbow and shoulder areas of the left arm. I feel like it's likely from the imbalance as the right arm always locks out first on bench or skullcrushers, the right arm touches first when doing floor presses (right tricep is larger), it's even easier to do curls or any type of shoulder raise, any ideas on how to help this? I was thinking of adding in a couple extra sets on the 2 bench days of left arm only extensions and curls, not really heavy but enough to try and spark some gains.

40 Nunc
09-25-2008, 03:29 PM
I had a similar issue when I started (I'm also right handed). I just continued to lift as heavy as possible with good form and everything balanced out after a month or so. I stayed away from dumbells in the beginning and focused more on BB curls, BB skull crushers, etc so that both arms worked together and shared the weight.

Thats what worked for me. Hope this helps.

Tom Mutaffis
09-26-2008, 02:09 PM
I would force yourself to do more isolateral work (dumbells, machines where each arm works independently, etc.) - it is easier to hide the imblance and injure yourself with a barbell.

Doing extra work may lead to overuse issues or problems with recovery on the weaker muscles. Strength imbalances will correct themselves if you train with proper technique.

It is frustrating but as Nunc mentioned should resolve within a couple of months.