PDA

View Full Version : what is a re-feed?

Eric Cartman
09-27-2008, 04:28 PM
Someone suggested I "re-feed" for 2-3 days to overcome my recent cutting plateau.. I've googled this but can't figure out what it means.. can anyone help?

EC

WillNoble
09-27-2008, 05:29 PM
Berardi answers:

http://www.johnberardi.com/articles/qa/wannabebig_2.htm

Refeed = planned increase in calorie intake that lasts 8 – 12 hours and usually consists of a large increase in carbohydrates. Refeeds usually occur when dieting and are planned in order to provide a brief day of psychological relief as well as a number of physiological benefits that we’ll discuss later. An example of a refeed is following a strict diet of 1500kcal 5 days per week and consuming 2500kcal of clean bodybuilding foods (the additional kcal coming mostly from carbohydrates) on the other 2 days.

Eric Cartman
09-29-2008, 02:13 PM
He does make a good case for a re-feed to have good pyschological benefits, giving mental relief from the calorie restrictions of a diet...

But he doesn't make a good case for it having any physical benefits, he even says that it doesn't...

EC

RhodeHouse
09-30-2008, 01:55 PM
A Re-Feed is what you do immediately after you finish eating. It's also known as getting seconds. Every meal is a feast, just like Thanksgiving. Go back for 3rd's. That's a Re-Re-Feed.

WillNoble
09-30-2008, 01:56 PM
A Re-Feed is what you do immediately after you finish eating. It's also known as getting seconds. Every meal is a feast, just like Thanksgiving. Go back for 3rd's. That's a Re-Re-Feed.

hahaha Rhodes you've been gone too too long

Brad08
09-30-2008, 02:25 PM

LMAO

SW
09-30-2008, 03:46 PM
A lot of guys refeed to restore leptin levels in the body, to do what you mentioned, break throught the weightloss plateau. The psychological factor helps, too.

Eric Cartman
09-30-2008, 04:22 PM
So does this essentially mean that 5 days cutting, 2 days bulking per week is a better formula for losing weight then 7 days cutting?

ryuage
09-30-2008, 04:43 PM
no it means 7 days dieting a week with a refeed for as long as you choose and feel necessary.

are refeeds required? probably not... people have gotten lean before they knew what leptin was or what a refeed was. Is it beneficial? probably so.

SW
09-30-2008, 04:46 PM
no it means 7 days dieting a week with a refeed for as long as you choose and feel necessary.

are refeeds required? probably not... people have gotten lean before they knew what leptin was or what a refeed was. Is it beneficial? probably so.

Christian told me once that refeed was only necessary on a very low calorie restriction, so yeah, I agree.

ryuage
09-30-2008, 05:47 PM
Christian told me once that refeed was only necessary on a very low calorie restriction, so yeah, I agree.

Depends on your definition of low, but in any diet where calories are restricted regardless of how many I think they would be beneficial. The larger the calorie the restriction the bigger and more frequent it would be needed.

McLaughlin
09-30-2008, 07:37 PM
Shoot if that's re-feed... I re-feed a few times a day, I'm getting some mad skills in the re-feed section.

Got to work on my re-re-feed now for this winter bulk session.

RhodeHouse
09-30-2008, 08:43 PM
I get leaner by just cleaning up my diet. No leptin levels or compasses used by me. I must be making it too easy. Maybe I should try this so I can ensure that I never make any progress.

ryuage
09-30-2008, 09:01 PM
I get leaner by just cleaning up my diet. No leptin levels or compasses used by me. I must be making it too easy. Maybe I should try this so I can ensure that I never make any progress.

getting leaner and being ripped are two different things... Once you get beyond a certain point it will matter. Any joe schmo could get leaner by cleaning up their diet, especially coming from a high body fat.

Eric Cartman
09-30-2008, 11:10 PM
Well I over-ate tonight, had 3 chicken enchildas instead of just 1...

It left me feeling like I had ruined all the hard work of that day... not sure it gave me psychological relief at all!!

ryuage
10-01-2008, 08:30 AM
then don't do it... and learn how to properly do a refeed before overeating just because you wanted to.

TopCat
10-01-2008, 05:24 PM
getting leaner and being ripped are two different things... Once you get beyond a certain point it will matter. Any joe schmo could get leaner by cleaning up their diet, especially coming from a high body fat.

Pretty much. Leptin, thyroid and other hormone systems wont really begin to crash until you are pushing you body with severe calorie restrictions and/or getting to the single digits bf% if I remember correctly.