PDA

View Full Version : NEW Westside Barbell Video

Travis Bell
09-27-2008, 04:01 PM
I've been working on this for the last couple of weeks and finally got it done. All the footage is from within the last two weeks on our RE day which has taken place of DE day.

The video has a bit at the end with Lou explaining why we do what we do

http://atlargenutrition.com/westside_trainingfootage.php

MPB
09-27-2008, 04:09 PM
Holy thighs, what's the name of the first lifter in the video? He makes that look very easy.

What I would give to train in that kind of environment...

Reko
09-27-2008, 04:14 PM
So, what exactly is RE then? His explanation didn't make much sense, it sounded like it was ME, but with a couple sets?

Travis Bell
09-27-2008, 04:20 PM
The first guy is Luke Edwards.

Reko, RE has taken place of our DE day, not ME. So instead of moving a light weight for repeated sets of 2 or 3, now he has them using heavier weights for repeated sets of singles or doubles. They use a lot more tension weight on RE day rather than straight weight (which is mostly used on ME day) and they never use more than briefs on RE day. Staying in only briefs keeps the weight from getting too high.

RedSpikeyThing
09-27-2008, 04:23 PM
Great video!
Travis, how do they decide on what weight to use for RE days?

Travis Bell
09-27-2008, 04:28 PM
Lou keeps an eye on things and suggests a particular weight for them to work up to and hit most of their work sets at. Its not based off a percentage so much as perceived exertion I guess you could say. As you can see in the videos, both Luke and Greg had plenty more in the tank, but they stopped there.

The deadlift training on RE day is always done with band tension, or sometimes not done at all (depends on how the lifters are feeling) and on ME its done with no band tension and occasionally off pins.

I should add, this would not be a good idea for beginner or intermediate lifters to try and model after, rather its best for lifters who have an extensive knowledge of training and who know their body and how it responds to training. These guys spend a ton of time in their rehab stuff keeping their bodies in shape and repaired for the next workout.

Glad you guys liked the video!

RedSpikeyThing
09-27-2008, 04:29 PM
Thanks!

I should add, this would not be a good idea for beginner or intermediate lifters to try and model after, rather its best for lifters who have an extensive knowledge of training and who know their body and how it responds to training. These guys spend a ton of time in their rehab stuff keeping their bodies in shape and repaired for the next workout.

Gotcha :thumbup:

ACaslow
09-27-2008, 04:45 PM
I love it.

I have always enjoyed watching the westside crew in video tearing it up...
Great footage, keep it coming.

Reko
09-27-2008, 04:53 PM
Lou keeps an eye on things and suggests a particular weight for them to work up to and hit most of their work sets at. Its not based off a percentage so much as perceived exertion I guess you could say. As you can see in the videos, both Luke and Greg had plenty more in the tank, but they stopped there.

The deadlift training on RE day is always done with band tension, or sometimes not done at all (depends on how the lifters are feeling) and on ME its done with no band tension and occasionally off pins.

Glad you guys liked the video!

So for a bench day it would be with dbl minis or straight purples or something, done from the ground (as opposed to a reverse band), and then straight weight for max work?

Lones Green
09-27-2008, 05:37 PM
for the record, Matt Smith is an animal.

thats a crazy week of lifting. heavy singles, doubles, and triples in briefs on what is now RE day, then max effort work in more gear on ME day. they are also pulling twice a week? is this correct?

i understand these guys all have their diet and supplementation in check 100%, and do plenty of recovery work.

that is a TON of stress on the body and CNS, i don't think my body could handle that. then again, i am nowhere near the level Matt and Greg are on.

that just blows my mind that they can recover from a training week like that!

thanks for getting that footage Travis, i enjoyed it. i will watch it before my lower sessions this week. :evillaugh:

Travis Bell
09-27-2008, 07:28 PM
So for a bench day it would be with dbl minis or straight purples or something, done from the ground (as opposed to a reverse band), and then straight weight for max work?

the RE method only applies to squat work. We keep the DE method for bench work.

campania
09-27-2008, 07:47 PM
the RE method only applies to squat work. We keep the DE method for bench work.

is the RE work just to take a break from the DE work? I'm assuming they'll go back to the speed work after a while, right? Have you ever done something like this for benching even though you're currently keeping the speed work?

powerboy93
09-27-2008, 07:51 PM
ahh soo ****ing dumb! the vid wont load for me :(

Travis Bell
09-27-2008, 07:55 PM
no, they've been doing this for about a year. They wave the tension weight so its not always that crazy of a weight. The first set of videos is at the end of a band cycle and the second set of videos is the first week of chain weight cycle.

In theory at least, yes I have done something similar in my bench work. For instance, last week I ended a band cycle with doubled purple bands for triples with 255lbs bar weight which comes out to about 455lbs at the top (around 88% of my max) but I was still able to move it fast. This sort of work helps build more brute, power type strength. Now this week, I'll go back to doubled mini bands, so the tension weight and the bar weight will come out to less than 88%. Thats where its different than the RE method for squatting.

Travis Bell
09-27-2008, 07:56 PM
ahh soo ****ing dumb! the vid wont load for me :(

close the screen and try it again. I just tried it and it worked

SGT ROCK
09-27-2008, 09:36 PM
Travis thanks for posting that. I have learned alot from Louie over the years and he is a great person for sharing his knowledge. Thanks for posting that so the rest of us can learn as well.

Semper Fi

jbrin0tk
09-27-2008, 10:23 PM
Pretty cool, Travis. Thanks for sharing. I've noticed in different training logs that a lot of people's DE days for squatting have turned into fairly heavy workouts, often with multiple bands, and I was kinda wondering what was up with that. I got it now, haha. And great camera work, man!

jbrin0tk
09-27-2008, 10:39 PM
I also meant to ask you, Travis, why have they started doing that? Or why has Lou instructed them to start having an RE day as opposed to a DE day? It seemed like they did DE day for years, and it seemed to work pretty well. I'm just curious as to why Lou's decided to switch it up. Thanks, Travis.

essentialherb08
09-27-2008, 11:34 PM
DANG! thats heavy stuff. The force is strong with ya'll lol. So 800 lbs + 200 pounds of bands... thats like 1000 lbs. Question? why not just add the 200 extra with just weights? does this build more speed or what?

smitsky
09-27-2008, 11:43 PM
That's a great video. Thank you Travis. Those weights are insane!

:omg:

Brad08
09-28-2008, 07:11 AM
I love it.

I have always enjoyed watching the westside crew in video tearing it up...
Great footage, keep it coming.

+1

Their vids are great.

bill
09-28-2008, 07:25 AM
Cool video, I'm guessing the RE is to add another potential strength/ muscle gain day without using going Max Effort? Just another tool as opposed to the DE?
lol, maybe Lou would say should up and lift something heavy and fast!

Travis Bell
09-28-2008, 07:42 AM
DANG! thats heavy stuff. The force is strong with ya'll lol. So 800 lbs + 200 pounds of bands... thats like 1000 lbs. Question? why not just add the 200 extra with just weights? does this build more speed or what?

That would be for max effort day

Lones Green
09-28-2008, 07:59 AM

bands hammer the lockout! this is important especially when in gear

Erik 23
09-28-2008, 11:31 AM
Travis this is a cool video.but i have a question,Do you all do this for bench press also in place of De day. if so is there any type of template to go buy like percentages or anything.this seems more like a not so heavy max effort day with the working up to singles and doubles as you said. is there a certain number of sets you all try to shoot for.and is there a reason that louie has stopped de day or do you guys do them occasionally but maybe just trying new things now.

Lones Green
09-28-2008, 01:04 PM
Travis this is a cool video.but i have a question,Do you all do this for bench press also in place of De day. if so is there any type of template to go buy like percentages or anything.this seems more like a not so heavy max effort day with the working up to singles and doubles as you said. is there a certain number of sets you all try to shoot for.and is there a reason that louie has stopped de day or do you guys do them occasionally but maybe just trying new things now.

Erik, Travis mentioned how he does his DE bench day earlier in the thread.

Viking_Power
09-28-2008, 01:27 PM
Travis, you guys are animals, and all belong outdoors.

essentialherb08
09-28-2008, 07:24 PM
That would be for max effort day

Eek! Post that video up too!

essentialherb08
09-28-2008, 07:32 PM
Dang I cant believe that i am chatting with some world class lifters here. THANK YOU WBB!!!

Travis Bell
09-28-2008, 08:39 PM
Eek! Post that video up too!

That will probably be our next series. These type of videos take me a good amount of time to film (takes me an hour to get to Westside) edit and add in all the extras, plus keep on top of my own lifting and school LOL so it may be a month or two before I get the next one out, but there will be a next one!

smitsky
09-28-2008, 08:41 PM
That will probably be our next series. These type of videos take me a good amount of time to film (takes me an hour to get to Westside) edit and add in all the extras, plus keep on top of my own lifting and school LOL so it may be a month or two before I get the next one out, but there will be a next one!

Thanks for putting the time in, and getting these up and running.

We really appreciate it.

BigTallOx
09-28-2008, 08:58 PM
Thanks for posting this.

SELK
09-29-2008, 12:17 AM
Ive been playing around with this the last few months - never knew westside guys where as well! so far results have been good. here is how i split it up:

day 1:
ME (reverse band squats, squats against bands, full gear squats etc)

day 2:
RE - usually use around 310lbs bar weight with blue bands + green bands.
then reverse band deadlifts (wendlers 5/3/1 pretty much)

Its not 'speed' work because the blues and greens add a fair amount of tension. I dont know for sure, but i estimate its around 600-650 at the top the way i have it setup.

day 2 i squat to a box, day 1 i dont.

In the past few months ive taken my squat from an 722lbs to an easy unofficial 800 @ ~220lbs, same gear, drug free to if it matters.

Its early to tell, but i think i perfer this over traditional speed work.

Erik 23
09-29-2008, 05:02 AM
Erik, Travis mentioned how he does his DE bench day earlier in the thread.

Sorry bout that i thought i read all the posts i guess i didnt now i see where he posted about the bench.

So he says its not for bench but squats and i guess deadlifts also.and said he used tried a re day for one of his workouts recently.

Travis is lou working on any articles on this, where can i read up more on this Re day style of training.

Man you guys have so many new and great methods im just trying to keep up with what you guys are doing.

Travis Bell
09-29-2008, 09:21 AM
No articles at this time. Next article is going to be on endurance training combined with strength training