PDA

View Full Version : Riptoe's Starting Strength Form check.

Motor ftw
09-27-2008, 07:23 PM
http://www.viddler.com/explore/LOLMudkipz/videos/2/

Am I doing it right?

I gotta know so I can continue to work out right.

In this video, I have all the 4 Workouts: AGS Squat, Benchpress, Standing Military press, and dead lift.

I don't got the Power clean because It's hard for me to learn and do it lol.

DON'T SAY ANYTHING ABOUT HOW MANY SETS OR REPS I DID. IT JUST A FORM CHECK!

Kastro
09-27-2008, 08:04 PM
Read the book. Seriously.

Motor ftw
09-27-2008, 09:43 PM
Read the book. Seriously.

? what parts am I not doing right? :confused:

I dont got the book. :bang:

40 Nunc
09-27-2008, 10:15 PM
Holy ****! Is that your knees popping?

Motor ftw
09-28-2008, 09:00 AM

Haha yeah. AGS Squat had me knees popping. But I ran 2 Miles today before that, so it's probably because of that.

Am I doing this Workout right? I need opinions.

Motor ftw
09-28-2008, 09:00 AM

Haha yeah. AGS Squat had me knees popping. But I ran 2 Miles today before that, so it's probably because of that.

Am I doing this Workout right? I need opinions/advices.

Ben Moore
09-28-2008, 09:12 AM
http://www.viddler.com/explore/LOLMudkipz/videos/2/

Am I doing it right?

I gotta know so I can continue to work out right.

In this video, I have all the 4 Workouts: AGS Squat, Benchpress, Standing Military press, and dead lift.

I don't got the Power clean because It's hard for me to learn and do it lol.

DON'T SAY ANYTHING ABOUT HOW MANY SETS OR REPS I DID. IT JUST A FORM CHECK!

First of all - this is no way to ask for help. When you post a vid or ask for help you automatically open yourself up for criticism.

Second, buy the book. The poster above is right in telling you that. There are many details that you're not going to get by merely skimming a post some guy made on the internet. Go get the book and read it from beginning to end.

Jorge Sanchez
09-28-2008, 09:13 AM
Before I watch more than 10 seconds of your video, you should NEVER come out of the rack facing forward.

You need to read and watch a lot of squat form info. Starting Strength, the book, is a great place to start. Sensei also has tons of really good squat RX videos. You can find them by searching this site of youtube. You need to start from scratch with your form. You're incredibly loose. Your back is rounding a lot. You're coming too far forward on your toes. You're not pushing your knees out far enough. Pretty much everything that can be wrong with a squat is.

Your deadlift, bench and press are only slightly better. You're way too loose with all of your lifts. On the deadlift, your hips start too high and your back is rounded. Bench, you're not getting tight under the weight and it looks like you have no leg drive. OHP, you're hyper-extending your back.

In conclusion, your form is really off, but you can improve lots with a little work. Buy Rippetoe's SS and read it a couple of times.

paul0101
09-28-2008, 09:58 AM
You're going too low, go heavier and you'll feel the difference. On the squat you want to be doing at least 150% of your body weight. I do over 200kg's and wouldn't dare go that low lol

Ben Moore
09-28-2008, 10:39 AM
You're going too low, go heavier and you'll feel the difference. On the squat you want to be doing at least 150% of your body weight. I do over 200kg's and wouldn't dare go that low lol

Too low??? Please expand on this thought.

Brad08
09-28-2008, 10:58 AM
You've got some work ahead of you but I just want to say "good work" on at least trying to lift properly and not shying away from squats and deadlifts. You'll get the hang of it. Just keep working.

Motor ftw
09-28-2008, 11:13 AM
You've got some work ahead of you but I just want to say "good work" on at least trying to lift properly and not shying away from squats and deadlifts. You'll get the hang of it. Just keep working.

Thanks guy. I'm a noobie at Working out. This is my 2nd week and I thought I should post a video since I'm still into Working out.

I'll try to lift heavier and get my back flat and watch more Squat videos.

Thanks for the advice once again. :ninja:

Ben Moore
09-28-2008, 11:41 AM

I agree man - at least you've made that step. you can always tweak form but you have shown you have the drive to jump in and do it.

jbrin0tk
09-28-2008, 01:01 PM
Like others have said, good work on deciding to incorporate squatting and deadlifting into your lifting routine. You'll be happy you did. So many times you see people who are starting out doing way too many isolation exercises (i.e. bicep curls, leg press, etc.) and not enough compound movements.

Jorge gave you some great advice. As for rounding the back, once you get set up, push your chest out and try to focus on holding that position throughout the squat. That should help you with rounding your back. Granted, it's not easy, but everything takes hard work. Also, when you start your descent on squats, break at the hips first, not the knees. In other words, stick your butt back first and keep doing that. Think about it as if you are trying to sit on a chair that is too far behind you. That should help with your knees tracking over your toes.

And for deadlifting, get your hips down more. Not like you are doing a squat, but moreso than you are in the videos.

Jorge Sanchez
09-28-2008, 07:05 PM

Don't listen to this guy.

Motor ftw
09-29-2008, 09:09 PM
Like others have said, good work on deciding to incorporate squatting and deadlifting into your lifting routine. You'll be happy you did. So many times you see people who are starting out doing way too many isolation exercises (i.e. bicep curls, leg press, etc.) and not enough compound movements.

Jorge gave you some great advice. As for rounding the back, once you get set up, push your chest out and try to focus on holding that position throughout the squat. That should help you with rounding your back. Granted, it's not easy, but everything takes hard work. Also, when you start your descent on squats, break at the hips first, not the knees. In other words, stick your butt back first and keep doing that. Think about it as if you are trying to sit on a chair that is too far behind you. That should help with your knees tracking over your toes.

And for deadlifting, get your hips down more. Not like you are doing a squat, but moreso than you are in the videos.

Thanks dude! This makes me gonna fix my form a lot.

Gotta flat out my back for Strength! :ninja:

jbrin0tk
09-30-2008, 08:52 PM
Thanks dude! This makes me gonna fix my form a lot.

Gotta flat out my back for Strength! :ninja:

You're welcome, man. Good luck!

thrillhouse
10-12-2008, 01:40 PM
Your squats were OK. Not great, but OK. Knees & feet were too close together IMO.

Your deadlifts were awful. Your back is rounded, you legs are barely bent. Initial power in the deadlift is generated in the legs; then it gets transferred to the back as the lift progresses. Get your butt down, keep your back straight and your chest up.

When you're pressing, at the top of the press your head should be under the bar. Starting position is the top of your pecs, and your spine/legs/arms will be in a straight line (relatively, anyway) at lockout.

You've got the right idea though, Rip is THE source. I wish I'd read his books when I was your age...my training would have been radically different.

Detard
10-12-2008, 02:04 PM
Squats - Try kicking your stance out a little wider. Work on your back flexibility so that you can ARCH and not ROUND. Remember to puff your chest out and hold your air tight. You dont really need to sit in the bottom like your doing either. Remember to lead with your hips/ass and sit BACK into it.

Deadlift - Get your hips low and ARCH your back. Like I said before, work on your flexibility.

Bench - Try touching a little lower towards your stomach. Remember to stay tight and plant your feet into the ground. Tuck your elbows too.

If you want to get a true critique, use heavy weight because your form will definitly change at heavier loads.