PDA

View Full Version : Olympia lifting?

chris mason
09-28-2008, 10:58 PM
Vincent, how did it go? Did anyone see it? Do we have the results?

Travis Bell
09-28-2008, 11:04 PM
Yeah I've kinda been wandering the forums for results as well. Haven't seen anything yet

NASAKYCHAIRMAN
09-29-2008, 07:44 AM
I got this from PLW & another forum:

Heavyweights
1. Rob Luyando
Shawn Lattimer 1/3/6 reps

Lightweights
2. Joe Mazza 500 - 7 reps

198 Coker 4 reps at 700

Frankle 6 reps at 600 !!!

Kellum easy 10 reps at 500 to Coker's 8. The crowd went nuts.

Actually Mendy won the 800 and 700 with 3 and 6. Russo, Luyando, Meeker 2 reps 800.

Meeker 12 at 600.

Glenn Russo, 308, attempted a 1,000 pound bench press on Saturday at the Powerlifting Supershow held at the Olympia in Las Vegas, Nevada. Scot Mendelson and Tiny Meeker also made unsuccessful attempts at the weight. Here's video of Russo's:

Xb5dHxPfu8M

I truly hope that Glenn Russo is ok. I think that bench press safety racks should be used at all Powerlifting/Bp meets throughout the USA!!!!

Ben Moore
09-29-2008, 08:06 AM
Good Lord - has anyone heard if he's ok???

Bohizzle
09-29-2008, 08:10 AM
OMG :( really hope he's ok, that looked terrible!

Dkalban
09-29-2008, 08:14 AM
one word: OUCH!

Travis Bell
09-29-2008, 09:15 AM
Good grief. Thats awful. If you watch, the spotters actually backed away when he started going down. Big big mistake on their part. Not their fault that this happened, but that wouldn't have happened at a powerlifting meet.

No word on my boy Vincent though?

Travis Bell
09-29-2008, 09:39 AM
I did read on another forum that Russo did get up ok

Rob Luyando
09-29-2008, 12:22 PM
I took the Heavy's in all three weights. Grandick hit 700 for a double and 6 for a tripple I believe.

Light weight was pretty much dominated by Coker and Frankle

Supers not sure whot took the money.

1000lbs challenge should have never taken place. Glenn Russo is lucky to be alive scaryiest **** I ever watched. No disrespect to Russo or Meeker but seriously should you have hit a grand for a single before you are going to attempt it for a double? Mendy is just Mendy so no suprise he would try it. The 1000 lbs challenge killed the crowd. The crowd was jamb packed during the light weights and emptied out after Russo's near death exsperience.

Travis Bell
09-29-2008, 12:53 PM
Thanks for posting Rob!! Great job!

Yeah that was pretty scary (saw on video) for Russo but I was glad to hear that he was fine and finished the rest of the competition

Lones Green
09-29-2008, 01:04 PM
i'm glad to hear Russo is okay. thats one of the worst bench accidents i think i've ever seen.

congrats to Rob!

youngguns
09-29-2008, 01:38 PM
wow, that could've ended so horribly...

Guido
09-29-2008, 01:49 PM
Good for Russo that he's okay. I'm not surprised that Frankl dominated in lightweights. I saw him break the 220 all-time record back in July and he was unbelievable.

vdizenzo
09-29-2008, 05:02 PM
I got credit for 5 reps with 600. I went twice with it just about following myself because I had no idea what to do under the bar. I skipped the 800 and 700 to save up for the 6. There was no rules briefing and I could not hear/figure out how the reps were being called. Regardless, I should have performed better.

Vegas was great. Got to hang out with lots of very cool guys. Had dinner with Ryan, Rob, Rhodes, Kenny, and "The" Chad Aichs Friday night. Good times.

KarstenDD
09-29-2008, 05:29 PM
Too bad it wasn't a better run event. Other than that it seems like it was generally a good show, for the most part. It sucks that you couldn't have done better but I guess you can start training for worlds or what ever your next meet is going to be. Good job though.

P.S. I missed you on Friday

Rob Luyando
09-29-2008, 05:40 PM
Hey Vin great seeing you and had fun keeping up with you at dinner. One of the high lights of dinner for me was talking benching with Chad Aichs. Funniest part was Chad was talking about different benchers and then started ripping on Rob Luyando's form as he brings the weight down. I let Chad go on for a while and then asked him if he was talking about the same Rob Luyando that he was eating dinner with. He was like your not Rob I started dying laughing. He said I look way sexier in person. Just glad he didn't really bad mouth me cause i would had my hands full with his big ass. LOL! Good times!

Lones Green
09-29-2008, 06:08 PM
Hey Vin great seeing you and had fun keeping up with you at dinner. One of the high lights of dinner for me was talking benching with Chad Aichs. Funniest part was Chad was talking about different benchers and then started ripping on Rob Luyando's form as he brings the weight down. I let Chad go on for a while and then asked him if he was talking about the same Rob Luyando that he was eating dinner with. He was like your not Rob I started dying laughing. He said I look way sexier in person. Just glad he didn't really bad mouth me cause i would had my hands full with his big ass. LOL! Good times!

that is hilarious, haha

Travis Bell
09-29-2008, 06:21 PM
haha that would be hilarious!

Vin, sorry to hear you didn't perform as you'd wanted to, but I'm glad you had a good time!

vdizenzo
09-29-2008, 06:45 PM

I did not hear that story. That alone was worth the weekend. By the way, I yanked Rhodes' shorts down at Hooter's. Too bad for him he was not wearing any underpants. I didn't know the big guy could move that fast.

Thanks to the Southside guys for helping me prepare. Special thanks to my wife, Kenny and Rhodes for their help the whole weekend. "The" Chad helped out a bunch also. Lot's of funny stories from the weekend.

I plan on competing in the 275's in early 2009. Now it's just time to get stronger. I have good advice from Rob and Ryan gave me some tips also. I feel like I am on the right track.

chris mason
09-29-2008, 06:58 PM
Lol on the Aichs story Rob!

Vincent, 5 reps is pretty darn good!

Jonah
09-29-2008, 07:49 PM
I yanked Rhodes' shorts down at Hooter's. Too bad for him he was not wearing any underpants. I didn't know the big guy could move that fast.

Somehow I knew this would happen :p

drew
09-30-2008, 06:28 AM
Well done Big guy. Hopefully the next time around they'll be better organized.

chris mason
09-30-2008, 06:56 AM
Vincent, do any of you guys have pics or video of your experience?

PriestCometh
09-30-2008, 01:20 PM
There was one big fat guy who fell down the steps. It was only funny cuz he was alright.
Wait, who was that.........................?

It was cool seeing rob, VINNY, latt, ryan, john cena backstage, Bolton, Becca, Tiny, Chad Aichs and as always, glenn, fry, frankl and the smallest fat guy(heck). I think I spotted for everyone, because the spotters they had there kept disappearing. I got to handoff to Jesse Kellum. I am still amazed by how f'n smart this guy is. Amazing time. It looks like fun. I will do the next one. I just came from a uspf meet. I wanted to come and support all of these f'n animals.

vdizenzo
09-30-2008, 02:29 PM
There was one big fat guy who fell down the steps. It was only funny cuz he was alright.
Wait, who was that.........................?

It was cool seeing rob, VINNY, latt, ryan, john cena backstage, Bolton, Becca, Tiny, Chad Aichs and as always, glenn, fry, frankl and the smallest fat guy(heck). I think I spotted for everyone, because the spotters they had there kept disappearing. I got to handoff to Jesse Kellum. I am still amazed by how f'n smart this guy is. Amazing time. It looks like fun. I will do the next one. I just came from a uspf meet. I wanted to come and support all of these f'n animals.

Priest, it was great to see you again. Hey, you can laugh at me for falling down the steps, but you can't call me fat. You even said I looked good right to my face.

vdizenzo
09-30-2008, 02:31 PM
Vincent, do any of you guys have pics or video of your experience?

Chris, I know I have at least my lifts. I'll get on that. Not sure what else the wifey got.

AdamBAG
09-30-2008, 02:52 PM
Wow, really impressive showing from all the lifters!

I agree that they need to start using the "face saver" racks. I did some side spotting at the Europa and there isn't a damn thing you can do when these beasts have over 700 on the bar. There is no place to get a hand hold on the bar.

I'm really glad Russo was ok.

PriestCometh
09-30-2008, 03:28 PM
Priest, it was great to see you again. Hey, you can laugh at me for falling down the steps, but you can't call me fat. You even said I looked good right to my face.

You did look good. It just wouldnt have been as funny.
Very cool seeing you vin. Next time I will be liftin with you
cats.

That was scarier than the dump by russo. Glenn dropped it over his head. It looked like when he went to stabilize it, it just kept surfing over his head and then, bam that sh^t popped out of his hand on the fly. Scary stuff.

I thought you hit the back of your head on the rail when you fell.

Thank god nobody got hurt. Everybody lifted like maniacs. They should have just went with kilo plates.

RhodeHouse
09-30-2008, 07:38 PM
I even wore a nice, 4xl, red ALN shirt while lifting off for Vincent. I'm pushing your drugs, Chris. I'm a bilboard, baby!

It was a very cool event. The contest was a huge CF. Very poorly organized. For an event so big, it was horribly put together. If people were trying to get powerlifting on the map and out to Johnny Average, they failed. The 1000lb benches were just like any other big meet. BOMB! Then, the crowd bailed.

This could have been great contest, but they really failed miserably. The athletes were not treated like the professionals they are. It's kind of embarrassing for the sport. If I was in charge, things would be different. I've got ideas, man.

But, it was really great to see all the guys and the Olympia atmosphere, itself. Very cool.

Hazerboy
09-30-2008, 08:20 PM
Is it even possible to spot that much weight, especially when the lifter just loses it?

jessekellum
09-30-2008, 09:56 PM
Priest,thanks for the help at the meet.See you when you come down here to train.JK

chris mason
09-30-2008, 11:29 PM
Chris, I know I have at least my lifts. I'll get on that. Not sure what else the wifey got.

Cool.

chris mason
09-30-2008, 11:29 PM
I even wore a nice, 4xl, red ALN shirt while lifting off for Vincent. I'm pushing your drugs, Chris. I'm a bilboard, baby!

It was a very cool event. The contest was a huge CF. Very poorly organized. For an event so big, it was horribly put together. If people were trying to get powerlifting on the map and out to Johnny Average, they failed. The 1000lb benches were just like any other big meet. BOMB! Then, the crowd bailed.

This could have been great contest, but they really failed miserably. The athletes were not treated like the professionals they are. It's kind of embarrassing for the sport. If I was in charge, things would be different. I've got ideas, man.

But, it was really great to see all the guys and the Olympia atmosphere, itself. Very cool.

Good stuff!