PDA

View Full Version : shooting pain starting from the glutesdown through the leg

justen caputo
09-29-2008, 03:43 PM
i was wondering if anyone has had this problem.i pinched my l left side of my lower back doing box squats about 4 weeks ago.it wasn't really nothing big.about 2 weeks ago i woke up with extreme pain shooting down my left leg,but am still able to squat without pain.i'm avoiding deadlifts for now or until it gets better.i've been waking up to immense pain everyday to the point of not being able to sit in a chair or put on socks for the first hour,but after 3-4 hours after waking up,i'm pretty much fine.should i work through it or take some time off.

Ben Moore
09-29-2008, 03:51 PM
It sounds to be disc or nerve related - go to the doc and ask for an MRI.

Detard
09-29-2008, 04:11 PM
Sounds like a sciatic nerve. I had a pinched sciatic nerve and had the exact same pain you are describing. I had to do 8 months of physio, 2-3 times per week, with ZERO activity. Your problem may not be as bad as mine was though. Probably best to get it checked.

justen caputo
09-29-2008, 04:37 PM
it's unbearable in the morning,to the point of wanting to scream as i'm trying to put a pair of socks on.it sucks because i'm in the middle of the 9 week sheiko routine and a meet in a month and a half.i'm getting it checked out this week.

Ben Moore
09-29-2008, 04:50 PM
Sounds like a sciatic nerve. I had a pinched sciatic nerve and had the exact same pain you are describing. I had to do 8 months of physio, 2-3 times per week, with ZERO activity. Your problem may not be as bad as mine was though. Probably best to get it checked.

Pain down the leg does not necessarily mean sciatic nerve. It could also mean a bulging or herniated disc. There's a ton of things that it could be - thats why I recommended the MRI.

Not saying it's not sciatic pain, but with nerves I tend to be safe ;) I've had 3 friends think it was sciatic and turned out to be disc related. 2 had surgery and one rehabbed for over a year.

justen caputo
09-29-2008, 05:06 PM
do you guys have any suggestions on sleeping positions that would help lessen the pain upon waking up?

Silverhawk
09-29-2008, 06:47 PM
I suffered from severe sciatic pain for well over a year, and found that sleeping on my back with a pillow under my knees, or sleeping on my side with a pillow between my knees seemed to help quite a bit.

SoreFoot8343
09-29-2008, 09:24 PM
I've been dealing with this same issue on and off since I broke my back in 98'. Been hurniating disks often since 98'. Like others said. it could be a bulging disk(s) pressing on nerves. The sickning pain going down the leg is most likely your sciatic nerve that is usually affected from back issues, pulled glutes/piroformus (sp) and the irritated muscle is just aggravting the nerve which runs thru. As far as sleeping at night, a soft fluffy mattres will more than likely kill you than help you. I have to sleep on an extra firm bed or in really bad cases the FLoor. But definatly do the pillow under the knees or between the knees if you lay on your side. Taking motrin or icy/hot is nice but I found it doesnt help when the alarm goes off as I found myself back in the same perdicament. Definatly try and get a MRI so you know exactly what your dealing with! (cuz with that you might end up with some REALLY good pain rx <EG>). PS. Usually if I remember and not in a rush, I try and stretch before I even thing about getting out of bed. IE: single leg up bent to your chest while other leg is laying flat, etc... Hope this helps you.. Feel better man...

mattdunkin
09-30-2008, 04:09 AM
It is funny you mentioned it was @ the 2nd week that you started to feel the pain,because when I injured my back in 2000,I thought everything was fine until the 2nd week when it hit and it got worse from there.Sciatica will put some of the toughest people down-I dealt with the pain for 1 and a half years-the only thing that helped lessen the pain was hydrocodone and at times it would literally make me scream.I was @ 290 when I injured myself and in about 4 months was down to 225-my doctor told me to stop training which of course I didn't-I tried to work around it until it was unbearable just driving to the gym to train.My cousin is also a doctor and one thing he had me do was to buy a cheap mattress and I put that in the living room and would watch tv laying down-any type of sitting would just aggravate it.I ended-up not training for 7 years due basically to just getting lazy and spending hours in the pool halls trying to turn semi-pro,but say two years and maybe two months ago,I went to the gym with a friend and the iron bug bit me again and now I'm feeling better and stronger at 35 than I was at 27 and competing as often as possible.Good luck with everything,bro.

justen caputo
09-30-2008, 04:16 AM
thanks for the help guys.this thing is so frusturating not being able to deadlift

justen caputo
09-30-2008, 04:22 AM
also,i have no back pain whatsoever,and the pain seems to sit behind my knee and upper calve.

smitsky
09-30-2008, 09:16 PM
also,i have no back pain whatsoever,and the pain seems to sit behind my knee and upper calve.

This sounds like it may not be Sciatica. I have nerve damage from a bout of Sciatica I suffered after last years WNPF Worlds in Nov.

If it is Sciatica, and it may still be, the Mckenzie exercises are used to get the pain to go back into the back where it is originating from. Back pain is easier tolerated than leg pain which is horrible.

Try this link:

http://www.lasportsandspine.com/pdfs/McK-1-05-1.pdf

Email me if you need more help.

Ben Moore
09-30-2008, 09:24 PM
This sounds like it may not be Sciatica. I have nerve damage from a bout of Sciatica I suffered after last years WNPF Worlds in Nov.

If it is Sciatica, and it may still be, the Mckenzie exercises are used to get the pain to go back into the back where it is originating from. Back pain is easier tolerated than leg pain which is horrible.

Try this link:

http://www.lasportsandspine.com/pdfs/McK-1-05-1.pdf

Email me if you need more help.
Good link - thanks!

smitsky
09-30-2008, 09:31 PM
Good link - thanks!

You're welcome.

I created a Thread to document my case here:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=6109711

smitsky
09-30-2008, 09:44 PM
OP, I took a look at the name of your Thread, "shooting pain starting from the glutesdown through the leg," This sounds like Sciatica. My left glute muscle is still really tight, even though the Sciatica left almost a year ago!

The Piriformis Muscle get's involved in a big way with this. It's situated in the glute area...

justen caputo
10-01-2008, 05:33 PM
update -i tried sleeping on my side with my leg swung over my body like a hip stretch and jacked up on 3 pillows.i woke up in 50%less pain.i was also able to light deadlift today.the doctor said it is sciatica.he has me schedueled for physical therapy.should i go or is it the same stuff i usually do like stretching,lifting etc.