PDA

View Full Version : Weight Training Combined With Martial Arts

SW
09-29-2008, 06:43 PM
A bit of background. I was doing Muay Thai kickboxing and lifting weights for a month or so, (lots of previous lifting experience) then I hurt my back badly in an unrelated incident to either activity. October 1st I'm back to Muay Thai, I've been lifting for almost a month and my back is 100%.
I want some opinions, I'll be doing Muay Thai 3 times per week, and most of you know how intense that will be. My question is what do you think my lifting regimen should consist of? I know this is goal dependent, and that's the thing, I'm not sure what to go for.
As I see it, training for size would be difficult. So I'm left with either training for endurance or strength/power. I'm curious as to what you guys would be think would compliment long term Muay Thai experience. I appreciate your thoughtful consideration, guys. Just seeking opinions here, possibly some of you had to make the same decision at one point? What do your coaches tell you is optimal? Thanks!

Twirl
09-30-2008, 06:41 AM
Some form of a crossfit programm would probably be awsome. Overall endurance and strength training, can never go wrong with it =D

Bohizzle
09-30-2008, 10:47 AM
I'd say go for pure strength because you're already going to be training your muscular endurance during muay thai.

SW
09-30-2008, 11:56 AM
I'd say go for pure strength because you're already going to be training your muscular endurance during muay thai.

This was definitely one of the thoughts that crossed my mind. Also, take into account I'd be getting lots of good cardio at Muay Thai, and my CNS might not be able to handle lots of HIIT or things like that.

LoneJeeper
10-01-2008, 03:49 PM
Hey Nick, glad you're sticking with it all.

I always found that the flexibility I gained help me stay more injury free for weightlifting, but i was usually too damned tired from one to do the other to the degree i was hoping for. Especially for the bjj, i couldn't lift heavy and be sore for that. your mileage may vary.