PDA

View Full Version : Beginner: wanting to gain weight

Scrawnymoke
09-29-2008, 10:26 PM
Hey guys I'm fairly scrawny (120 lbs 17 yrs old), and I want to start adding some pounds of mass/muscle. I read an artcicle on the FAQS and it said my total calorie intake should be around 3000 which seems like a lot to me.

Are there any sites which provide the calories of all foods? Does anyone have any guides or recipes to follow to make a protein/high calorie meals through out my day?

Does it matter how many meals you eat a day? I was thinking breakfast,lunch, protein shake, dinner, protein shake.

Heh, sorry if I have so many questions since nutrition is confusing.

Eric Cartman
09-29-2008, 11:14 PM
It would be a big mistake to up your calories to 3000 right away... you want to first figure out what your maintenance level calories are. Your maintenance level of calories is the amount you eat that causes you to neither lose or gain weight. Once you have figured out that number, you want to add about 400-500 calories extra on a bulk. Eating 5-6 meals a day is a good way to do that.

Track calories on www.fitday.com

You don't really need a "recipe" for protein... you just eat the basic foods that are high in protein like egg white, chicken, tuna, lean steak, shrimp, milk, etc... and include in your meals healthy carbs and green leafy vegetables.

My advice would be for you to slowly increase your calories if you're not sure what your maintenance is... if you add too many calories at the beginning, you're gonna gain lots of fat, and then you'll look like me, a fat kid with muscles.

Good luck!

EC

Brad08
09-30-2008, 08:30 AM
Hey guys I'm fairly scrawny (120 lbs 17 yrs old), and I want to start adding some pounds of mass/muscle. I read an artcicle on the FAQS and it said my total calorie intake should be around 3000 which seems like a lot to me.

Are there any sites which provide the calories of all foods? Does anyone have any guides or recipes to follow to make a protein/high calorie meals through out my day?

Does it matter how many meals you eat a day? I was thinking breakfast,lunch, protein shake, dinner, protein shake.

Heh, sorry if I have so many questions since nutrition is confusing.

Unless you're a dwarf, 120 lbs at 17 is skinny and you probably have a fast metabolism, which means 3000 calories a day will be no big deal.

nutritiondata.com has good nutrition info, as does fitday .

guides or recipes? yeah, take a half gallon of milk (preferably chocolate), add a few scoops of protein powder, add a scoop or two or three of your favorite ice cream, add a frozen banana or two (or strawberries, etc), throw in some chocolate malt powder if you want, and drink it throughout the day. Drink one EVERY day while lifting your ass off.

Keep an eye on the scale. If it starts moving up, you're on track. It should move up a little bit each week.

DON'T worry about "lean" this or "lean" that. Don't throw out the egg yolks. Don't order off the Weigh****chers menu to find your "lean" steak. Just start eating. And keep eating. Hit McDs for a sack of double cheeseburgers (at a buck each, two of these gives you around 50g. of protein). Wash it down with some of your shake described above. Repeat. Before you go to bed, 4 slices of toast with tons of peanut butter and honey on top, washed down with another quart of milk.

Does it amtter how many meals you eat? Not really, but it can be easier to eat a boatload if you spread it out throughout the day.

SW
09-30-2008, 08:53 AM
You're new, and want to bulk. This is good.
3,000 calories sounds about right, a good starting place for you. Keep the food you eat fairly clean (junk is ok, but make sure to keep that in moderation, a pile of saturated/trans fat is no good at all). Pop is HORRIBLE for you, and even diet turn into formaldehyde (sp?) in your stomach. Limit yourself to a couple of cans per day, max. Drink plenty of milk, for a myriad of reasons. Chicken, eggs, milk, fruit and vegetables should be about 70% of what you should be eating, and plenty of it. No need to really count every calorie or macro, just make sure you're getting at least 3k calories in of these quality food in per day. Lift 3-4 times per week, there are wbb routines around, and they're of high quality. They are in the articles section, I believe.
I will come back in a minute and post a very good thread, called "What a bodybuilder eats". The list is invaluable.
A couple more things, man. Sleep 8 hours every night. I know it's fun to stay up, go out, etc, but there are 3 things you absolutely need to have right, and on a CONSISTENT basis: Sleep, Diet, Lifting.

here is the best list of amazing foods I've ever seen. http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=46565&highlight=bodybuilder+eats

Steven001
09-30-2008, 09:02 AM
Everyone is going to tell you to Eat Eat Eat, listen to them, and do exactly that. I'm on a bulk just now - a little heavier than you though, at 159lbs. I find it hard to put on weight, but it's an excuse most people will use. The only way to gain weight it by eating!

manowar669
09-30-2008, 09:06 AM
Perfect candidate for Rippetoe's Starting Strength + GOMAD (Gallon of milk a day). The milk (preferably whole milk) makes getting your calories and protein easy. Easy to shop for, easy to measure, and easy to get down liquid calories. Just drink milk along with what you're eating now (preferably good food, eggs, meat, fish, fruit, nuts, veggies). If you can't do a gallon a day, start with half a gallon, and see where your weight goes.

Program link
http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/The_Starting_Strength_Novice/Beginner_Programs

Eric Cartman
09-30-2008, 09:48 AM
Hit McDs for a sack of double cheeseburgers (at a buck each, two of these gives you around 50g. of protein). .

You're not gonna receive any worse advice than this... :tuttut:

Steven001
09-30-2008, 09:52 AM

What's wrong with doing that on a "Dirty Bulk"?

Reko
09-30-2008, 10:17 AM

False, that is great advice. :tuttut:

Brad08
09-30-2008, 10:28 AM

LoL OK kiddies, here's a test: how many of you scrawny 17 year olds have gained 50 pounds on lean chicken, fruits/veggies and whole grain carbs? Because here's the truth: you may gain a few pounds here and there eating like a Fitness Model but in the long run, you're so goddamn worried about teaspooning out your precious calories and keeping an eye on your lower abs that you won't gain any appreciable muscle, and 5 years down the road, you'll be maybe 10-15 pounds heavier and be busting out of your Hollister tees.

And while you're at it, riddle me this: how can you get fat on double cheeseburgers (two = 880 calories) but NOT on 880 calories of chicken breast? Are chicken calories MAGIC calories maybe??

Anyway, TRICK QUESTION B!TCHES. You can't get fat on chicken b/c none of you scrawny "mom budget" teenagers can EAT 880 calories of chicken, 5 times a day, every day, for the next 12 months. Which is why you'll stay tightly between the fibers of your g@ylord clothes.

SW
09-30-2008, 11:59 AM
The chicken isn't magically packed with all sorts of bad ****. You don't need to eat like a fitness model. Lean chicken > Double Cheesburgers. Every time.

Brad08
09-30-2008, 12:07 PM
The chicken isn't magically packed with all sorts of bad ****. You don't need to eat like a fitness model. Lean chicken > Double Cheesburgers. Every time.

Yeah because if you eat double cheeseburgers, you'll drop dead in no time, whereas chicken eaters are the epitome of health. Er...wait. THE F'ING KID IS 17 YEARS OLD FOR ****S SAKE! He can either:

(a) broil a dozen chicken breasts each and every day, at a cost of probably several dollars per pound, per day, then carry them with him in little ziplock baggies, open them up like a self-righteous prick, and proceed to spend 30 minutes choking down dry-assed chicken by the poundful (literally, b/c it takes a boatload of chicken to hit 50-100 g. of protein) while the girls laugh at him for being such a douchebag, all so he can hope to avoid the dreaded deliciousness of a cheeseburger, or

(b) eat some F'ing cheeseburgers for $.99 on his way to pop one in the hot cheerleader who's impressed with his new-found massiveness.

Notorious
09-30-2008, 12:14 PM

Ben Moore
09-30-2008, 12:39 PM

^^^^^^I'd just like to point out he's not part of 1-0-7 :D We're getting through to someone!!!

Seriously though - there's nothing wrong with double cheeseburgers when trying to gain weight. Not something to do all the time, but it's not going to hurt him at 17yo either...

RhodeHouse
09-30-2008, 12:53 PM
LoL OK kiddies, here's a test: how many of you scrawny 17 year olds have gained 50 pounds on lean chicken, fruits/veggies and whole grain carbs? Because here's the truth: you may gain a few pounds here and there eating like a Fitness Model but in the long run, you're so goddamn worried about teaspooning out your precious calories and keeping an eye on your lower abs that you won't gain any appreciable muscle, and 5 years down the road, you'll be maybe 10-15 pounds heavier and be busting out of your Hollister tees.

And while you're at it, riddle me this: how can you get fat on double cheeseburgers (two = 880 calories) but NOT on 880 calories of chicken breast? Are chicken calories MAGIC calories maybe??

Anyway, TRICK QUESTION B!TCHES. You can't get fat on chicken b/c none of you scrawny "mom budget" teenagers can EAT 880 calories of chicken, 5 times a day, every day, for the next 12 months. Which is why you'll stay tightly between the fibers of your g@ylord clothes.

You're fbrilliant. That's awesome.

to the OP, eat everything you can get your hands on. I don't care how tall you are, at 120lbs, you shouldn't stop eating until you're 200lbs, minimum. Someone find JM Blakeley's Big Boy's Menu for him. I gotta get back to work.

WillNoble
09-30-2008, 12:55 PM
are you kidding me, yall are debating what a 120lb. 17 y/o kid should be eating????

I mean seriously at his age and lack of weight, he should be eating everything under the sun to pack on size...because guess what, if he listens to yall about supposed "clean bulking" (read: undereating) all he'll ever be is a 127lb 19y/o kid.

I swear to god this forum is just stupid sometimes

SW
09-30-2008, 01:52 PM
Yeah because if you eat double cheeseburgers, you'll drop dead in no time, whereas chicken eaters are the epitome of health. Er...wait. THE F'ING KID IS 17 YEARS OLD FOR ****S SAKE! He can either:

(a) broil a dozen chicken breasts each and every day, at a cost of probably several dollars per pound, per day, then carry them with him in little ziplock baggies, open them up like a self-righteous prick, and proceed to spend 30 minutes choking down dry-assed chicken by the poundful (literally, b/c it takes a boatload of chicken to hit 50-100 g. of protein) while the girls laugh at him for being such a douchebag, all so he can hope to avoid the dreaded deliciousness of a cheeseburger, or

(b) eat some F'ing cheeseburgers for $.99 on his way to pop one in the hot cheerleader who's impressed with his new-found massiveness.

Witty. He is 17 y/o, eating cheeseburgers once in a while isn't a bad thing, but it's a great idea for him to develop the eating habits that will be more beneficial to him later in life. People who bring their lunch to work/school are self righteous pricks? I remember when people thought that was dedication.

To the OP- Good luck man. Hope the advice helped.

Dkalban
09-30-2008, 01:55 PM
Yeesh, and i thought i had trouble gettiing calories. Guess no more eating lean for me. I want to be big myself, not some damn A&F pretty boy.

Eric Cartman
10-02-2008, 08:27 PM
Please stop promoting bad nutrition. You don't want to eat 500 grams of fat and a bunch of processed disgusting food that will make you unhealthy.

There are plenty of HEALTHY alternatives to pack on the weight. Why not eat a double turkey burger with cheese and add fries that you baked in the oven, drink it down with a chocolate protein shake?

Oh i forgot, this would take effort, and we are a nation of lazy fat asses!!!

manowar669
10-03-2008, 10:28 AM
Don't bulk on junk food like THIS (http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=3980303__________________) kid did (pics, hilarious thread)

Follow up thread (funny) HERE (http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=107611711)

Steven001
10-03-2008, 10:51 AM
Don't bulk on junk food like THIS (http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=3980303__________________) kid did (pics, hilarious thread)

Follow up thread (funny) HERE (http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=107611711)

He looks like he just eat solid for 1.5 years with no lifting at all.... :eek:

RedSpikeyThing
10-03-2008, 11:44 AM
I don't understand the confusion. If you can gain weight cleanly, do it. If you can't, eat some garbage. Who cares?

Ben Moore
10-03-2008, 09:26 PM
I don't understand the confusion. If you can gain weight cleanly, do it. If you can't, eat some garbage. Who cares?

Exactly...

TopCat
10-03-2008, 09:43 PM
Going nuts isn't always great. HOWEVER, in cases like this I think it makes for a good learning experience to just go nuts and find out that it is possible to put on weight. I know that at one point I thought it was impossible. That is, until I let loose and broke that mindset.

User Name:
10-05-2008, 04:30 AM
That kid gained 30kg on his face.