PDA

View Full Version : My Crossfit Experience

deeder
09-30-2008, 11:40 PM
A Crossfit gym opened up in my city recently (within the last 6 months I believe) and a couple of guys that I work with started training with them about a month ago. Before they joined they asked me if I knew anything about it and if it would be good for them. I had read the website, and checked the W.O.D on occasion but I had never done any myself. Considering their goals I said yeah, Crossfit would be a good way to train.

So, they've been going at lunch and coming back beat up as hell. Half the time they don't even finish the workouts. So they finally talked me in to coming for a session to see what it's really like. I was doing a 'deload' week from my powerlifting training before starting a new program anyway...

The day that I went we did 3 rounds for time of:

800m run
50 GM's with 45lbs
50 situps (full situps on an 'abmat')

I finished in about 29min 15seconds I think. I finished second in the group that I was with. Even though I feel I did pretty well it kicked my @$$!!!

I haven't run seriously in more than a year and a half. The 800m runs don't sound like much but by the end of each I felt like I was going to die. The GMs were easy for me and were more of a 'dynamic rest' than anything. I haven't done a full situp in a LONG time, so the situps were pretty tough. I usually just do crunches or any number of other ab exercises.

Anyway, the conclusion is, Crossfit kicked my ass. It definitely wouldn't fit with my powerlifting training but if I were just training for general fitness, weight loss, etc. then I would definitely be doing Crossfit.

If you've been thinking about checking it out, DO IT! I had a lot of fun during the workout, and at least at the gym that I went to, the atmosphere was great! The people were very friendly and there was a 'friendly competitive' environment. Everyone was pushing themselves to win, while at the same time cheering on all the other people.

I thoroughly enjoyed my Crossfit experience!

manowar669
10-01-2008, 06:29 AM
Too bad your first WOD was one of the more boring ones. I hate running anyway.

I like the WODs with 2-3 barbell exercises, done rapidly. Something like Diane or Fran.

Or something like this:

21-15-9 reps of,
Bodyweight bench press
225lbs deadlift (for a 180lb male)
pullups

It might only take you 6-8 minutes (if you're good), but you'll be sucking wind for while after that, and sore for a day or two all over your body. Of course, you should first do the standard crossfit "warmup", done every workout day. It is 45 pullups, 45 ring dips, and 45 overhead squats (with a bar), situps, hyperextensions. Stretch.

I like the ME days too. And the 5x5s (or 7x3s) of Squat, deadlift, presses, cleans, etc.

KingWilder
10-01-2008, 10:47 AM
personally I love fran

21-15-9 for time
95lb Squat Thrusters
Pull-ups

Another good one:

5 rounds for time
275lb Deadlift x 5 reps
10 burpees

ZenMonkey
10-01-2008, 11:53 AM
I love the idea behind it. I like to incorporate it in my 3day workout split on the off days.

JeffreyXL
10-01-2008, 02:54 PM
Used crossfit while preparing for the army which worked great for me. Though imo its good for a change and for GPP although Crossfit seems to focus on a lot of stuff which is good for some i.e. Rugby players, army, gymnastics, mma (all with a few changes) but for many its too random. If you wanna be good at something you have to specialize yourself. Its a choice you have to make, otherwise you will be mediocore at a lot of stuff but never be the best in something. Just my .02 cents.

Hazerboy
10-02-2008, 12:36 AM
If you wanna be good at something you have to specialize yourself. Its a choice you have to make, otherwise you will be mediocore at a lot of stuff but never be the best in something. Just my .02 cents.

Thats kind of the point of crossfit and GPP - its supposed to *prepare* you to do whatever kind of physical activity you want, be it endurance running, sprinting, weightlifting, strenght training, gymanstics, fighting, etc. Most people who do crossfit just want to be healthy and stay in shape.

Fuzzy
10-02-2008, 07:55 AM
I predict Crossfit will overtake Scientology as the new high profile celebrity cult.

Brad08
10-02-2008, 08:09 AM
I love the idea behind it.

What idea is that? Work hard, and improve GPP?

Anthony
10-02-2008, 08:55 AM
otherwise you will be mediocore at a lot of stuff but never be the best in something. Just my .02 cents.

There are a lot of people who use CrossFit as a "base" and then "specialize" on top of that. Of course, for most that's not the intent, so it's a moot point. But as an example, my wife has been crossfitting for 3 years and just broke the Canadian Deadlift record unofficially (310 @ 105).

Chubrock
10-02-2008, 08:58 AM
But as an example, my wife has been crossfitting for 3 years and just broke the Canadian Deadlift record unofficially (310 @ 105).

And she's hot. Very hot. Haha, good to see you pop up on the board midget.

Reko
10-02-2008, 09:04 AM
Nothing wrong with midgets here!

Chubrock
10-02-2008, 09:41 AM
As far as this is to believe, Anthony is even shorter than you haha.

KingJustin
10-02-2008, 03:25 PM
I'm of course a huge advocate of CrossFit. I did Westside for awhile, and my powerlifting gains on CrossFit were just as good as when I followed Westside, and in addition my endurance/stamina/olympic lifts/general compound lifts improved substantially. Everyone's body responds a little bit differently, and mine happens to respond very well to CrossFit.

Also, CrossFit isn't just cardio. What is described in the op's post is a "metcon." Everyone thinks of CrossFit as just metcons because they are sort-of unique so it stands out, but CrossFit also does a lot of heavy work. There's (slightly) more max-effort work in CrossFit than in Westside. And the system works really well, because your muscles get taxed in a high-rep kind of way during the metcons and then they get taxed in a heavy-weight kind of way on the max-effort type lifts. So, essentially you're doing the same kind of things powerlifters do, but you get a bunch of added benefits. (Not to say that for most people CrossFit is the most effective way to powerlift)

And lastly, even for powerlifters, CrossFit metcons are really helpful. There's endless articles by Dave Tate (and others) talking about the importance of GPP. That's basically what the metcons are. Yes, it's true that at a powerlifting meet you are doing a single rep and your cardio is not a factor. But, when training for the meet, you're probably doing some sets of 5+ reps of heavy squats. That is pretty taxing cardiovascularly, and if you are not in shape you might miss a lift in part because of a lack of cardio. So, improve your recovery ability/work capacity, add some stamina, and develop some movements you're not great at...

Chubrock
10-02-2008, 05:10 PM
. There's (slightly) more max-effort work in CrossFit than in Westside. ...

Come on Justin, you know that's false. A typical PLing split is calling for some sort of ME work at least once a week.

Anthony
10-02-2008, 05:31 PM
Come on Justin, you know that's false. A typical PLing split is calling for some sort of ME work at least once a week.

And if you look at the big picture, CF averages about the same.

Chubrock
10-02-2008, 06:08 PM
CF averages out two Max Effort sessions per week?

Edit:

In August I saw 3 Max Effort Days (one chinup, one squat and one dead). In July there were 6 ME days, though you don't see many ME "5s". Same thing for June. May had 5 ME days.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that Crossfit doesn't have their heavy work. I'm just saying that they don't have more Max Effort days than a typical PLing split.

Sensei
10-02-2008, 07:01 PM
There's a ton of variation between the WoD listed on the CrossFit homepage and the WoDs conducted by affiliates.

There are some things I love about CrossFit and some things I don't care for. Just like any other program or gym, there are success stories and not-so-successful stories.

Chubrock
10-02-2008, 07:12 PM
There's a ton of variation between the WoD listed on the CrossFit homepage and the WoDs conducted by affiliates.

There are some things I love about CrossFit and some things I don't care for. Just like any other program or gym, there are success stories and not-so-successful stories.

I agree. I should've mentioned that when talking about "crossfit" I always mean the main HQ website. You are quite right that there are a million ways to structure things.

KingJustin
10-02-2008, 07:47 PM

Edit:

In August I saw 3 Max Effort Days (one chinup, one squat and one dead). In July there were 6 ME days, though you don't see many ME "5s". Same thing for June. May had 5 ME days.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that Crossfit doesn't have their heavy work. I'm just saying that they don't have more Max Effort days than a typical PLing split.

If you count the 5-5-5-5-5's, there' 12 ME lifts in July.

But yeah, now that I look closer at it, you're right. I guess most powerlifting splits have plenty of additional 5x5 type work and if they don't get to count it towards ME work then I guess CF can't either. At any rate, there still is a significant amount of ME work that is complimented by some 5x5 type work, heavy metcons, and moderate metcons (i.e. "Fran"). If you add in a little extra heavy work on your own, in addition to the main site WODs, then you can get really strong. I guess it's convenient to use Anthony as an example.

Chubrock
10-02-2008, 08:17 PM
then you can get really strong.

I think it really comes down to what you consider really strong and in what arena you plan on testing that strength. As far as the Crossfit community goes, yes you can become very strong. Compared to someone who competes solely based on their big 3, then the strength levels don't raise as many brows. It's all based on perception.

KingJustin
10-02-2008, 09:15 PM
Yeah, but consider
(1) nobody in CrossFit is trying to be a SHW, so you have to compare them to natural, raw lifters in the 140-220lb or so classes
(2) they don't train only the specific lifts, so they aren't going to benefit from having perfect form
(3) CrossFit judging is a bit more strict than some feds
(4) CrossFit lifters don't have weak points: dips, pull-ups, overhead press, snatch, clean & jerk, etc. are all lifts where they pick up a lot of ground compared to powerlifters, and
(5) for the most part, they don't have the same leverage benefits of powerlifters, which doesn't necessarily mean they aren't as strong. For example, someone 6' tall probably would want to be around 250(?) as a powerlifter, and as a CrossFitter they are going to want to be around 180. The true powerlifters at 180 lbs, however, simply are going to have leverage advantages. At 250 this becomes kind of inconsequential because of the added muscle mass that makes up for it, and the impossibility of someone 5'5 getting that big. But, that's not to say the person isn't really strong -- they could probably show it in a strongman/fixed ROM type event.

I'm not saying CrossFitters are truly stronger than Powerlifters, but I think that you can get really strong doing CrossFit, and in addition you can get a lot of other physical benefits...

Chubrock
10-03-2008, 04:58 AM
Yeah, but consider
(1) nobody in CrossFit is trying to be a SHW, so you have to compare them to natural, raw lifters in the 140-220lb or so classes
(2) they don't train only the specific lifts

Your numbers:

(1) The natural part is debatable (sp?). Not everybody in CF is natural.

(2) What you outlined there is the reason the numbers aren't any bigger. After a certain point, there just isn't the specificity to continue progressing. Not everything can go up at the same time. Will CFers get strong, yes, but you're not going to see any "CF made" 600lbs DLers or squatters.

Anthony
10-03-2008, 05:18 AM

They average about 1-2 ME sessions per week mostly in the 1-5 rep range. Is that more than a typical WS split - no, but it's comparable - especially when you consider workouts like "Linda" and "Lynne" are thrown in for good measure.

Don't get me wrong, a specialized powerlifter has the potential to be stronger than someone who doesn't specialize. BUT, there are still some extremely strong folks in CF.

Chubrock
10-03-2008, 09:03 AM
BUT, there are still some extremely strong folks in CF.

I don't disagree with that at all.

ryuage
10-03-2008, 04:19 PM
:lurk:

Reko
10-05-2008, 10:53 PM
I generally have 2-4 ME lifts in a given week with my power lifting routine, so 8 to 16 a month. I don't think CF is the ideal way to get strong in a PL/SM way. You will get stronger than you were, but if those are your goals (and you want to specialize) I think there are better options.

shansen008
10-19-2008, 07:56 PM
Crossfit convert here....

All this talk is moot. From my experience, the value of Crossfit can not be measured by discussion. I read up on it and studied videos of the lifts and theory behind Crossfit for nearly a year before i decided just to give it a shot. This is after about 3-4 years of steady training in different ways. Ive been through all the WBB routines, ive done BGB, ive done HIIT in conjunction with all of them. Nothing, and i mean nothing has made me feel as good as Crossfit.

Am i as strong as when i was doing the other style of workouts? Nope, from a pure numbers standpoint most of my lifts have come down, but so has my body weight. Ive been as heavy as 297lb, and now im at 205lb. Im visibly leaner, you can see my developed abs now. And while i may not lift as much as i used to, my ratio is actually better since my bodyweight is so much lower. I went from from barely being able to do a 2 pullups, to busting out sets of 10 dead hang pullups....and thats just for the warmup before the WoD.

I for one am appreciative of all the styles i tried. I learned something from all of them, but im now a Crossfitter for life. Its not for everyone, its a very humbling system. It all just depends onw hat your goals are. If you are more concerned about adding another 5 pounds to your PR on the big 3...then be a power lifter. If you want to be an overall athletic animal, Crossfit in addition to your specific training for your chosen sport is the way to go.

As with everyting else though.....diet and sleep are key.

KingJustin
10-19-2008, 09:20 PM
Unless you are at the top of the sport or think you could be, I don't know why anyone would want to be a powerlifter over a crossfitter (defined as being good at all parts of Fitness, regardless of what methodology you use to get there). I think it's a lot more impressive to be good at everything that at one thing. It is more applicable in real life and in sports. Your general health tends to be a lot better, and you generally look better, too.

That's not to say I don't have a lot of respect for the sport of Powerlifting or the lifters on this board. I think you guys are animals, and I think you are generally more elite than the elite CrossFitters at this point -- the idea of CrossFit is sort-of, kind-of new and we're still seeing big jumps every year.

Chris Rodgers
10-19-2008, 09:34 PM
Unless you are at the top of the sport or think you could be, I don't know why anyone would want to be a powerlifter over a crossfitter (defined as being good at all parts of Fitness, regardless of what methodology you use to get there). I think it's a lot more impressive to be good at everything that at one thing. It is more applicable in real life and in sports. Your general health tends to be a lot better, and you generally look better, too.

That's not to say I don't have a lot of respect for the sport of Powerlifting or the lifters on this board. I think you guys are animals, and I think you are generally more elite than the elite CrossFitters at this point -- the idea of CrossFit is sort-of, kind-of new and we're still seeing big jumps every year.

I can't speak for all of the powerlifters, but I would rather be a powerlifter over crossfitter because I enjoy the training more. A lot of us like to take our sweet time in the gym and don't want someone timing our efforts, lol. I think crossfit type training isn't something to sneeze at, it's just not my cup of tea(not that I even like tea, maybe Iced Tea).

Anthony
10-20-2008, 09:08 AM
Honestly, I'd rather lift heavy things all the time and never do conditioning work. A hell of a lot easier on the brain - that's for sure! But for my goals, the benefits outweigh the negatives.

Chubrock
10-20-2008, 09:13 AM
, I don't know why anyone would want to be a powerlifter over a crossfitter (defined as being good at all parts of Fitness, regardless of what methodology you use to get there).

Some people would rather work towards being really good at one thing than fairly good at a bunch. It's not a guarantee that either person will reach their destination, but some people are willing to sacrifice everything else in that persuit.

KingJustin
10-20-2008, 02:22 PM
Some people would rather work towards being really good at one thing than fairly good at a bunch. It's not a guarantee that either person will reach their destination, but some people are willing to sacrifice everything else in that persuit.

I think that made sense until all these CF comps started happening. It makes sense to be really good at something so that you can compete. But, now you can compete at everything at once.

It's kind of like why I think MMA is superior to boxing or wrestling or BJJ..

Also, I'm kind of exaggerating and making more bold statements than I really feel here...

Chubrock
10-20-2008, 02:49 PM
I think that made sense until all these CF comps started happening. It makes sense to be really good at something so that you can compete. But, now you can compete at everything at once.

I see what you're saying, but the only people that are competing at CF are people from within CF. While you may be considered "elite" within the CF community, it doesn't mean you'll rate in the outside world. That's what I was getting at. Some people are more interested in being top dog at their respective interest than being decent at a large arrangement of things. Very much the idea of big fish in a big pond versus big fish in a small pond.

Reko
10-20-2008, 03:51 PM
I can't speak for all of the powerlifters, but I would rather be a powerlifter over crossfitter because I enjoy the training more. A lot of us like to take our sweet time in the gym and don't want someone timing our efforts, lol. I think crossfit type training isn't something to sneeze at, it's just not my cup of tea(not that I even like tea, maybe Iced Tea).
I'm all about hitting a 1RM PR. That's why I train.

My lifetime goal (with regards to any sport) is to squat 1,000 pounds. After that, maybe I'll go for a huge bench or deadlift. If not, its staying competitive in PL while working my way down the weight classes. Its opposite of the conventional path most take, but as of now thats what it is. If it happens sooner rather than later, maybe I'll push it and see where it takes me, what my family status is, etc.

Reko
10-20-2008, 04:00 PM
I don't know if I could be considered elite or have the potential for it, but I'm certainly going to find out.

pert121
10-27-2008, 04:54 PM
Crossfit sounds really interesting, I def would like to give it a shot, a place here in PA just opened or I just heard of it I guess since I just moved here/. I think it would be good to try and see if it can be incorporated into a strength training routine, because in strongman, strong and conditioned are both needed!

KingJustin
10-27-2008, 07:46 PM
Crossfit sounds really interesting, I def would like to give it a shot, a place here in PA just opened or I just heard of it I guess since I just moved here/. I think it would be good to try and see if it can be incorporated into a strength training routine, because in strongman, strong and conditioned are both needed!

If you do strongman, you should try "Linda:"
10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1 reps for time of:
Deadlift 1.5x BW
Bench BW
Squat Clean .75x BW

So, if you weigh 200 lbs... deadlift 300 lbs 10x, bench 200lbs 10x, squat clean 150lbs 10x. Then do each 9, then 8 .. etc. Time starts on your first rep and ends when you finish the last round on Squat-Cleans.

Reko
10-27-2008, 07:56 PM
Even better I think would be X reps of tire flip, X reps of stone over bar and then some KB/DB swings, X being relative to what tire/stones you have available, although without the 10-9-8... thing. just a big set done a couple times after rest if need be. or keep looping for 60 seconds. or improve on your time each set from the last time.

KingJustin
10-27-2008, 08:26 PM
Well, yeah, that too for sure. "Linda" is just easy to compare to other people. But yeah we did a lot of work with tires and all sorts of other stuff at my old CF gym.

pert121
10-28-2008, 05:54 AM
Well, yeah, that too for sure. "Linda" is just easy to compare to other people. But yeah we did a lot of work with tires and all sorts of other stuff at my old CF gym.

Both ideas sound interesting, King Justin, I am not familiar with Linda, is it on the board here or where would I find some info on that?

Thanks

Big_Byrd52
10-28-2008, 09:40 AM
Too bad your first WOD was one of the more boring ones. I hate running anyway.

I like the WODs with 2-3 barbell exercises, done rapidly. Something like Diane or Fran.

Or something like this:

21-15-9 reps of,
Bodyweight bench press
225lbs deadlift (for a 180lb male)
pullups

It might only take you 6-8 minutes (if you're good), but you'll be sucking wind for while after that, and sore for a day or two all over your body. Of course, you should first do the standard crossfit "warmup", done every workout day. It is 45 pullups, 45 ring dips, and 45 overhead squats (with a bar), situps, hyperextensions. Stretch.

I like the ME days too. And the 5x5s (or 7x3s) of Squat, deadlift, presses, cleans, etc.

it may have already been asked cause i havent read it all yet, but how often are the ME days done? and can u give a full WOD example?

Big_Byrd52
10-28-2008, 09:58 AM
I see what you're saying, but the only people that are competing at CF are people from within CF. While you may be considered "elite" within the CF community, it doesn't mean you'll rate in the outside world. That's what I was getting at. Some people are more interested in being top dog at their respective interest than being decent at a large arrangement of things. Very much the idea of big fish in a big pond versus big fish in a small pond.

thats like saying a decathlete isnt really any good because they do ten track events instead of just one. maybe some people enjoy the challenge of having to master many different events, or they may only crack top ten at a single event, but in the whole slew come out on top as the best well rounded athlete. Powerlifting has 3 events, but if u focus on 1 to the exclusion of the others, u will find urself short. the best powerlifters are the most well rounded.

manowar669
10-28-2008, 10:09 AM
it may have already been asked cause i havent read it all yet, but how often are the ME days done? and can u give a full WOD example?

http://www.crossfit.com/cf-info/excercise.html

Scroll down until you see 'THE "GIRLS"/NAMED WODS' (the original WODS) and below that 'WODS'. There are videos (wmv) of the workouts. Of course, that's not all of them, and that doesn't show 5x5s, 7x3s, etc. ME days vary too, but around 1-3 ME days per 6 workouts. Today's WOD is ME cleans (after your "warmup" of pullups, dips, squats, situps, and hypers). 3 days ago was ME squat, ME military press, and ME DL.

Crossfit sounds really interesting, I def would like to give it a shot, a place here in PA just opened or I just heard of it I guess since I just moved here/.

Where in PA?

Big_Byrd52
10-28-2008, 01:33 PM
for those that incorperate it into powerlifting, how do u do that? i think i would need 2 days during the week for upper and lower of heavy weights and the rest is up for grabs.

markdk86
10-28-2008, 01:45 PM
for those that incorperate it into powerlifting, how do u do that? i think i would need 2 days during the week for upper and lower of heavy weights and the rest is up for grabs.

Go on the forum and look into ME Blackbox. Its a combination of heavy lifting with MetCon days for conditioning.

Big_Byrd52
10-29-2008, 08:09 AM
didnt see it on this or the crossfit forum. could u provide a link for me?

markdk86
10-29-2008, 12:46 PM
http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=3925&page=1

I had a full article on it but I must have deleted it. I was going to send it to you. It was $10 from Performance Menu.

Chubrock
10-29-2008, 06:17 PM
maybe some people enjoy the challenge of having to master many different events, or they may only crack top ten at a single event, but in the whole slew come out on top as the best well rounded athlete. Powerlifting has 3 events, but if u focus on 1 to the exclusion of the others, u will find urself short. the best powerlifters are the most well rounded.

I'm saying pretty much the same thing as this quote. Specificity rules. Just like you said, the best powerlifters are the most well rounded when competing in a 3 lift meet. However if you compare a well rounded PLer to say a DL specialist, typically the specialist will pull bigger numbers. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with being well rounded, but specificity is always going to make the difference when attempting to be that much better.

Big_Byrd52
10-30-2008, 08:24 AM
I'm saying pretty much the same thing as this quote. Specificity rules. Just like you said, the best powerlifters are the most well rounded when competing in a 3 lift meet. However if you compare a well rounded PLer to say a DL specialist, typically the specialist will pull bigger numbers. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with being well rounded, but specificity is always going to make the difference when attempting to be that much better.

no doubt.

markdk86
10-30-2008, 10:14 AM
One gripe I have about CrossFit is all the equipment needed sometimes. It makes me wish I had my own personal space. It just isn't possible for me to take up so much of the gym sometimes. running from station to station.

manowar669
10-30-2008, 10:32 AM
One gripe I have about CrossFit is all the equipment needed sometimes. It makes me wish I had my own personal space. It just isn't possible for me to take up so much of the gym sometimes. running from station to station.

People at the gym WILL look at you funny when you jump from say deadlifts to pullups, then run out the door for your 800m run, and then back a minute later to do another round.
I don't think you need that much equipment. I workout at home, and the only thing I'm missing is a 15ft climbing rope and a rower. There are substitutes for most of the exercises. i.e. I just pinch 2 25lb plates together for Kettlebell swings. I have a basic squat rack, barbell, and 500+ lbs of iron. That's most of it. I made a 20lb medicine ball by cutting a slit in a $3 rubber basketball from walmart, filling it with sand, and sealing it up. My "rings" cost me $10.43 from home depot (pvc and rope + clamps). The dogs go crazy when I run up the stairs, out the door, down the street, then back, down the stairs, rep out 21 deadlifts (or whatever), then run back up and out, etc. Neighbors probably think I'm nuts too.

Reko
10-30-2008, 11:17 AM
Apparantly, it's cool to superset and take up multiple statrions if other people aren't doing CF while you are:
http://www.crossfit.com/journal/library/cfjissue1_Sep02.pdf

Left hand side, "day 2" of how to get kicked out of your gym in 10 days or less.

KarstenDD
10-30-2008, 05:18 PM

How do you think elite powerlifters got there? They trained for it. If you want to be a top level, elite powerlifter, you need to train for it.

KingJustin
10-30-2008, 05:41 PM
^^ Let me change that to...
Unless you think you are simply genetically much more gifted at powerlifting, and have the ability to be an elite level powerlifter...

Reko
10-30-2008, 06:00 PM
Unless you think you are simply genetically much more gifted at powerlifting, and have the ability to be an elite level powerlifter...

But how would you know without years and years of training?

KarstenDD
10-30-2008, 06:19 PM

The thing about powerlifting is that you get back what you put in. If you do everything you can to total 2000#s or whatever the actual multi ply number is to be classified as elite then you can do it. Granted anyone can do crossfit and if you do everything you can to dominate crossfit then you can probably do that too. But, genetics are a cop out.

KingJustin
10-30-2008, 07:32 PM
But how would you know without years and years of training?

I think it's pretty obvious when you're much more geared toward pure-strength. The indicators I guess would be that you can get strong pretty quick, and you can't improve your cardio very fast.

And you get back what you put into anything fitness related.

Again, I realize I'm overstating my point, but I think powerlifting (pure-strength) is the equivalent of being really good at boxing, whereas CF (total fitness) is like being really good at MMA. How many people consider powerlifters as "the best athletes in the world?" How about Decathletes?

MPB
10-30-2008, 11:04 PM
I don't think you understand it. Mixed Martial Artists train in what they do because they want to be complete fighters. Powerlifters aren't here to be the best athletes in the world, they are just here to smash ****ing weights, whatever it takes to squat/bench/deadlift as much as possible. Nothing more than that.

It's starting to sound like some people (not trying to offend you KingJustin) I know who say "so what if you're stronger, and can lift more than me. I don't care, I can still knock you out with a punch."

KingJustin
10-31-2008, 02:37 PM
Well, I definitely understand that powerlifters just want to move a lot of weight. If that's your mindset and you simply enjoy it a lot more than cardio -- cool, I can accept that. Admittedly, really great cardio will probably do nothing for your life. And I also would say the top powerlifters (many of them are on this board, which is awesome) are at a higher level than the top CF athletes right now.

BUT, I am simply making the case that imo there are numerous benefits to working towards total body fitness (even if you don't follow the particular methodology of CF) over powerlifting. One of them is that, imo, it's simply more impressive to be pretty good at everything than very good at one thing and below average at everything else. Like Phil pointed out, it's kind of like being good at nothing but squats--yeah, that's awesome you squat a lot and it's damn impressive to be able to get under a bar and squat 1,000 lbs and be terrible at everything else (and I'm not trying to understate this: this accomplishment is much more impressive than the totality of what I can), but imo it's more impressive to have an 800 lb squat, a 550 lb bench, and a 750 lb DL. And, to a greater degree, to be good at all parts of fitness. It's just more functional.

MPB
10-31-2008, 02:59 PM
I'd rather be very good at one thing (or having big three's) than to be pretty good at everything else. But I also make sure that I always work on my weaknesses so they don't hold me back later on. I just don't think it benefits you that much in real life to be athletic and have great cardio, unless you're an athlete. I guess it's just a difference of opinion

teeroy
01-04-2009, 07:27 PM
... Of course, you should first do the standard crossfit "warmup", done every workout day. It is 45 pullups, 45 ring dips, and 45 overhead squats (with a bar), situps, hyperextensions. Stretch. ...

For some reason I haven't been able to find where this is specified on the crossfit site and knowing the standard warmup is obviously pretty important so if I'm not finding this what else am I now finding. Do you have a link to where this is specified?

Sensei
01-04-2009, 09:44 PM
Pretty sure he was joking there Tee...

KingWilder
01-05-2009, 05:42 AM
For some reason I haven't been able to find where this is specified on the crossfit site and knowing the standard warmup is obviously pretty important so if I'm not finding this what else am I now finding. Do you have a link to where this is specified?

Standard Warm-Up is

3 Rounds of 12-15

Overhead Squat (with bar or pvc)
Pull-Ups
Dips
Crunches
Back Extensions
Samson Stretch (15-30 seconds per leg)

if the WOD includes any of those (for speed), you obviously wouldn't do it as part of your warm-up (or you could lower the volume)

SEE 1.8 of the CrossFit FAQ
http://www.crossfit.com/cf-info/faq.html#General7

TKisner
01-05-2009, 09:32 AM
Kingjustin why do you automatically assume that powerlifters are out of shape slobs? You make it sound like if you choose crossfit your going to look like david and if you choose to powerlift your going to look like someone who eats every meal at Mcdonalds. Your going to build more muscle powerlifting plain and simple hence you have the potential to look better. And If someone has a high bench squat and deadlift assuming they do some amount of conditioning what would their weakness be?

teeroy
01-06-2009, 05:38 PM
Ah, its in the FAQ. I figured it would be under the Start Here link so I was poking around there.

Thanks, there's a lot of info in that FAQ that I'll be reading through.