PDA

View Full Version : Alcohol on weekends

jpw204
10-01-2008, 09:36 AM
Hello,
I am going to get flamed for this so hard, but what the hell. On most weekends, my friends and I party pretty hard about 90% of Friday and Saturday nights. I personally consume 15-20 beers on each of those nights, sometimes more. This is not an exaggeration, I am trying to get an honest answer. The rest of the week, and during the day on weekends, I stick to a good diet, with the occasional bad meal here or there. So my question is, how detrimental is this drinking to making gains at the gym?

I recently lost 30 lbs over the course of 6 months, and am hanging around 196 now. All this was done while continuing to drink like this on weekends, while lifting 3-4 days a week, and a good diet otherwise. My gains have been marginal at best, and I just started Rippetoe's 2 weeks ago. What do ya'll think?

drew
10-01-2008, 09:41 AM
It's not having a positive effect. Why the need for 40 beers on a weekend? How hard would it be to cut that down to like 5 per day?

You may not be seeing much of an effect now, but eventually it will catch up to you.

jpw204
10-01-2008, 09:45 AM
I guess there is no need for it, but it's just too damn fun ;) But in honesty, I guess my tolerance is just crazy because of how I (we) partied at school 6 nights a week Senior year. I am going to make the change for the better, starting this weekend. Maybe 6 beers in an evening. My friends and I just get plain ******ed when we drink, which is awesome, but weekend workouts typically suck because of this. Then I feel like I am in detox every Monday. boo...bon voyage 30 pack weekends...............

jpw204
10-01-2008, 09:45 AM
Now I can buy some more protein with all the extra loot I will have...woohoo

brihead301
10-01-2008, 09:52 AM
Hey man, obviously it's not good for you, but at least you're not just drinking your ass off all the time, and never lifting and always eating like crap.

I train hard, and I eat mostly healthy, but I also drink my ass off on the weekends. I'm not quite 20 beers on friday and saturdays EVERY weekend, but I drink every single weekend, and I have a few beers on weeknights. I'm in pretty good shape, but I have somewhat of a gut. If I cut out the drinking, I'd be stronger, and I'd be leaner. I know this. But I like drinking my ass off and partying, so I do it.

I'm just happy that I'm not like some of my other friends that are my age that drink their asses off, but don't lift. They are all starting to get big ol' nasty beer guts and man boobs.

So there's really no positives in drinking like you do, but it ain't gonna kill you. Keep lifting and eating right, and you'll be okay. If you want to compete one day, then you may want to cut back though.

McLaughlin
10-01-2008, 10:53 AM
I'd switch to liquor.. but that's because I love whiskey.

On a more serious note, I'd definitely recommend cutting back. Try like you said and stick to a sixer each night... make your weekends a lot cheaper that way. Like you said, then you could go buy some protein or another good supp.

jpw204
10-01-2008, 11:20 AM
O how I also love Jack and Coke, or Jack and Water. Yea, I have laid off that **** as of late. Ironically I had some last Friday, combined with 5 dollar Golden Monkey drafts...blacked out from 12:15 am on.....

I am going to lay off the booze for a while. Kick it back to like a 6-pack a night on weekends. At least for the winter. I am from the Philly area though, and summertime means most nights are spent at the Jersey shore, where blacking out is the norm. That's another 8 months off though.

Also....Go PHILLIESSSS!!

Unreal
10-03-2008, 08:18 AM
There are tons of articles out there on this. Here is one
http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sex_news_sports_funny/a_muscleheads_guide_to_alcohol_1

Donnajo
10-03-2008, 09:54 AM
I think if you are drinking until you black out that is a real issue. It is amazing how this is found to be acceptable and ok. Also , what this must be doing to your liver. I take it you are young but that is and will catch up to you internally. Think about the health of your insides too. Have some drinks but if you are drinking to the extreme of blacking out that is binge drinking and the sign of alcohol issues. JMO.

WORLD
10-03-2008, 10:44 AM
Besides the fact that you screw up your next day from being hungover and not being able to eat, its simply not good for you to drink that much every weekend! I used to drink like that but I just don't enjoy it anymore (well, maybe on special occasions).

I think it would be hard to find studies relating alcohol consumption vs muscle growth/retention and strength, but you should be able to tell by listening to your own body.

The more you sacrifice the better results you'll get. Why don't you try having only a few beers for the next month and track your results? Do a little test on yourself.

jpw204
10-03-2008, 12:05 PM
I typically never get hung over, which is part of the problem. I will admint, days at the gym, following a night out are usually tought. But in terms of feeling like ****, I generally wake up at 9 and am capable of going out for a bike ride. I am going to cut back a bit though, see what happens. Only problem is, I am going to be in Vegas for 6 nights at the end of October, all bets are off when i'm there. No pun intended.

jpw204
10-06-2008, 08:13 AM
I consumed a total of.....drum roll pleaseeeeeee..................about 15 or less drinks this weekend. Pretty damn good if I say so myself.

Andrew Cohn
10-06-2008, 08:21 AM
I like to party too but why not try limiting to one drinking night per weekend. I lost 10 pounds for Nationals this year while only allowing myself to drink once per weekend. I have also lost 4 pounds in the last 4 weeks while starting my new bouncer gig which has only allowed me to drink heavily 2 times in the last 4 weeks.

If your gonna go at it hard though, try to stick to vodka and diets as they get the job done and dont have a whole lot of calories.

kevowamo
10-06-2008, 01:32 PM
if you're happy with your results in the gym, and happy with gettin f'd up, keep drinking 15-20 because that window of fun closes fast, i would assume. you have the rest of your life to lift. enjoy being young

Progress
10-06-2008, 01:46 PM
Exercise some self-control and drink in "moderation" while all your buddies are getting ****ted. The self-discipline should do you good overall.

BigTallOx
10-06-2008, 01:56 PM
So my question is, how detrimental is this drinking to making gains at the gym?

There's a good podcast on this topic by Marc David Here (http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/marcdavidpodcast.htm) is a link to his info on Bodybuilding.com. You can subscribe to his podcasts through iTunes. Released on 6/30/08 there's "Effects of Alcohol on Muscle Building Explained". It's presented as just the honest facts and is very informative.

Basically, my take on what he presents is that unless you're cutting weight, drinking in moderation is fine.

WildJames
10-06-2008, 06:31 PM
Never understood the fascination with 'getting ****faced' anyway.

beaverfootball
10-06-2008, 08:58 PM
you and your drunk buddies should take a sober 30 day period. It would be a good way to check out the gains your missing and your excuse for them could be so that you will lower your tolerances by not drinking for 30 days

Shangers
10-06-2008, 10:22 PM
I find that I can get away with 1 or 2 of these "blackout island" days and still make gains. The key is to keep a 2 day buffer zone between the days you get ****faced and when you work out. Here's an example:

mon: chest
tuesday: legs
thursday: shoulders
friday: back
friday night: 20 beers/gram of blow/some weed to sleep
saturday: repeat if desired.
sunday: recover

rinse and repeat.

butcher2
10-06-2008, 10:43 PM
I find that I can get away with 1 or 2 of these "blackout island" days and still make gains. The key is to keep a 2 day buffer zone between the days you get ****faced and when you work out. Here's an example:

rinse and repeat.

You'll never be as good as you could be though if you're getting smashed every weekend. When you're young, you can get away with drinking; as you get older it will catch up with ya. And seriously if you're drinking 40 beers two days out of the week, you're going to be doing damage and effecting your gains. But as long as its a lifestyle you're content with, that's all that matters. For me, I want to move as much weight as I possibly can, so drinking definately needs to be in moderation.

jpw204
10-07-2008, 07:49 AM

rinse and repeat.

Hell yes. That was gold. On another note, I am surprised to know some people on here still get down hard.

Shangers
10-07-2008, 10:59 AM
Don't get me wrong, not boozing is still the way to go if you want to make gains. Prior to last weekend I went like 3 weeks without partying at all. No booze or anything. I also ate really clean and took my fishoil caps, creatine, multi, etc. It was very noticeable how much stronger I was in the gym and all my lifts felt really smooth. The little aches and pains in my knees, elbows, etc all went away as well which was cool.

Also, you should realize that someone of your age(I'm assuming you're in college) is in a position to make some very impressive gains if you want. I got stronger from age 17-20 than from when I was 14-17 or when I was 21 to today. Your body is probably in that perfect state to grow muscle and gain strength, but if you want to spend those years getting ****faced and not take advantage of the perfect timing it's your choice. Besides boozing hardcore really messes with your testosterone which is always a bad thing.

samadhi_smiles
10-07-2008, 02:08 PM
apart from the dehydration and empty calories, I would think the main worry would be decreased testosterone levels.

You're infinitely better off ripping a bong a time (or five) with your friends than drinking a case of beer (you'll also have better convesations :)).

WORLD
10-07-2008, 02:21 PM
Exercise some self-control and drink in "moderation" while all your buddies are getting ****ted. The self-discipline should do you good overall.

:withstupi:

brihead301
10-07-2008, 02:29 PM
No matter how you put it, gains will be better without the alcohol. Depending on how serious you are about lifting/bodybuilding/powerlifting/etc...whatever you do, that should influence your desicion.

Me, I love lifting to get stronger and bigger, but I also love to drink and party. I lift M/W/F and I usually drink on fridays and saturday nights and get pretty drunk, I have a few on weeknights too, but not every night. I'm doing fine. I'd probably have a flatter stomach if I didn't drink as much as I do, but I'm in pretty damn good shape though - both strength and physique.

jpw204
10-07-2008, 05:02 PM
Don't get me wrong, not boozing is still the way to go if you want to make gains. Prior to last weekend I went like 3 weeks without partying at all. No booze or anything. I also ate really clean and took my fishoil caps, creatine, multi, etc. It was very noticeable how much stronger I was in the gym and all my lifts felt really smooth. The little aches and pains in my knees, elbows, etc all went away as well which was cool.

Also, you should realize that someone of your age(I'm assuming you're in college) is in a position to make some very impressive gains if you want. I got stronger from age 17-20 than from when I was 14-17 or when I was 21 to today. Your body is probably in that perfect state to grow muscle and gain strength, but if you want to spend those years getting ****faced and not take advantage of the perfect timing it's your choice. Besides boozing hardcore really messes with your testosterone which is always a bad thing.

Good call. I am 22 now, 23 tomorrow (tear). I have been told by my friend that after 25, it becomes much more difficult to build muscle. I have to tell ya, I didn't drink too much this weekend, and I felt great on my 3rd week of Rippetoe's. Not sure if it's the routine, the drinking, or both. Probably both.

On another note, I highly approve Rippetoe's. My deadlift is going through the roof in just the third week, and squats/bench has gone up 5 and 10 lbs each week since starting, comfortably.

molson1903
10-08-2008, 06:04 PM
I , for the most part struggle with a similar problem, I also drink and i know its not good for my body, its just too dang fun

Bako Lifter
10-08-2008, 07:16 PM
If you're trying to cut back on the beer, but still wanna get smashed... shot gun 4 in a row and pound the another four within the next hour? It's hard but it'll feel like you've had like 15.

BigTallOx
10-08-2008, 08:05 PM
I have been told by my friend that after 25, it becomes much more difficult to build muscle.

IMHO, you friend doesn't know what he's talking about.

butcher2
10-08-2008, 08:33 PM
Don't quote me on this, but I believe men don't even start to reach their muscular peak til post 30...so to say that its difficult to put muscle on after 25 is ludicrious.

jreed110
10-09-2008, 01:58 AM
Personally I'd throw back a few extra beers than you usually do, that way you'll end up throwing the rest back up!