PDA

View Full Version : Considering competing - a few questions

brihead301
10-01-2008, 09:42 AM
I was considering competing, but I'm not sure if I can at this point (well, I know I can, but my lifts aren't even near competition worthy yet).

I'm not sure what my 1RM's are, but my current 5RM's are:

ATG Squat - 265 lbs.
Deadlift - 365 lbs.
Bench - 220 lbs.

I know these lifts are just average, but I figure if I start getting in with competitive people it will help me get stronger.

So anyway, I want to do all raw and all natural lifting 1st off. Second, I've read that they have deadlift only competitions. I'm actually most interested in deadlifting rather then going for the big 3 total. Either way, I'd still like to get into competing.

I live in Philadelphia, and I'm not really sure how to find a powerlifting place to go. I type "powerlifting competitions in Philadelphia" and stuff like that into google, but all I found was national powerlifting federations that occasionally hold competitions in Philly.

Basically, how do you get started in this stuff?

drew
10-01-2008, 10:02 AM
Go to powerliftingwatch.com there is a link to search meets by state.
Find a meet and enter. Use your 5RMs as your openers, go up 20 lbs for your 2nd attempts, then do whatever you want for the 3rd.
Don't worry about being "competition-worthy" everyone starts somewhere.
Most full meets offer single lift competition within the meet.

Ben Moore
10-01-2008, 10:35 AM
Yep - you'll never feel like you're ready. Get into a meet and go.

brihead301
10-01-2008, 10:47 AM
So all it takes to become a competitive powerlifter is to just sign up for a competition?

I thought that you had to be part of a "powerlifting gym' or something like that?

There are people there with lifts that aren't really impressive like mine too?

Jonah
10-01-2008, 11:05 AM
So all it takes to become a competitive powerlifter is to just sign up for a competition?

I thought that you had to be part of a "powerlifting gym' or something like that?

That's pretty much it. If you've got money they've got a spot for you.

Once you find a meet, find out what federation/organization it belongs to and get a copy of their rule book (most are online). That'll give you more info about what you can wear, what you can use, and how the lift should (in theory) be judged.

NASAKYCHAIRMAN
10-01-2008, 11:09 AM

So anyway, I want to do all raw and all natural lifting 1st off. Second, I've read that they have deadlift only competitions. I'm actually most interested in deadlifting rather then going for the big 3 total. Either way, I'd still like to get into competing.

Link for Pl meets and federation state chairman in PA:
http://www.powerliftingwatch.com/pennsylvania

All you have to do is sign up and compete in almost any federation of you picking. I do recommend reading the rules of that particular federation you plan to compete in.

You don't need to be a member of pl gym to compete.

Don't be concern if you lifts are competitive or good enough, just go and have fun!!!

Several federations offer unequipped division, drug tested and deadlift only competition too. If you have more questions, just email or call the meet director.

Reko
10-01-2008, 11:15 AM

Yup, anyone can do it, and there will be all levels of lifters there from new people, to people getting back into it, to people who have been doing it forever. Maybe you will find a PL gym to join by talking to some of the guys and seeing where they train.

brihead301
10-01-2008, 11:24 AM
Hell ya!! I'm stoked now. I actually found a push/pull or deadlift only comp that's on December 13th, and it's like 15 minutes away from my house. I emailed the guy already, hopefully he replies soon.

I'd love to find a gym where serious powerlifters train at. The gym I go to now looks like a 'hardcore' gym. You know the beat down gyms with old equipment, and not many people in it (unlike one of those crappy commercial fitness places). But no one powerlifts there. Hell, I think I saw maybe one other person ever deadlift there, and he doesn't go anymore. Everyone else is all 'biceps day today, chest day tommorow, etc...'.

I'm gonna sign up for that comp though. I should be pulling in the low 400's by December.

Thanks for the replies fellas.

Reko
10-01-2008, 11:25 AM
No probs. Best of luck and have fun! Hit some PRs, that's what is all about!

NASAKYCHAIRMAN
10-01-2008, 11:59 AM
Hell ya!! I'm stoked now. I actually found a push/pull or deadlift only comp that's on December 13th, and it's like 15 minutes away from my house. I emailed the guy already, hopefully he replies soon.

I'd love to find a gym where serious powerlifters train at. The gym I go to now looks like a 'hardcore' gym. You know the beat down gyms with old equipment, and not many people in it (unlike one of those crappy commercial fitness places). But no one powerlifts there. Hell, I think I saw maybe one other person ever deadlift there, and he doesn't go anymore. Everyone else is all 'biceps day today, chest day tommorow, etc...'.

I'm gonna sign up for that comp though. I should be pulling in the low 400's by December.

Thanks for the replies fellas.

That's great!!

COMPETITION EQUIPMENT CHECK LIST

1. Gym bag
2. Bp shirt(2), dl suit or none if competing unequipped.
3. wrist wraps
4. singlet
5. belt
6. Cooler
7. Protein shake & variety of snacks
8. H20
9. Towel
10. Digital Camera
11. Membership card
12. Extra $$$$
13. Extra clothes
14. Pen
15. Rubbing ointment
16. Deodorant
17. Vitamin H20
18. Camcorder

Also, don't forget to post your meet results!

brihead301
10-01-2008, 12:13 PM
That's great!!

COMPETITION EQUIPMENT CHECK LIST

1. Gym bag
2. Bp shirt(2), dl suit or none if competing unequipped.
3. wrist wraps
4. singlet
5. belt
6. Cooler
7. Protein shake & variety of snacks
8. H20
9. Towel
10. Digital Camera
11. Membership card
12. Extra $$$$
13. Extra clothes
14. Pen
15. Rubbing ointment
16. Deodorant
17. Vitamin H20
18. Camcorder

Also, don't forget to post your meet results!

I'm going to do it unequipped, so I don't need a bench shirt.

Also, I guess it's a rule that you have to wear a singlet?

About the belt, I've never trained with a belt either, so I guess I don't need one of those either. At least not yet.

The snacks makes sense, because I'm sure I would have more energy on a full stomach, but why the protien shake? Does that help you lift better if you drink it right before?

And what would the rubbing ointment be for? Hands I guess?

Thanks man.

BigTallOx
10-01-2008, 12:23 PM
well, I know I can, but my lifts aren't even near competition worthy yet.

I felt exactly the same way before my first meet. Don't worry about it. Everybody starts somewhere. If nothing else, the meet will be documentation of where you started.

Basically, how do you get started in this stuff?

I searched the web and found a group of powerlifters to workout with.

Lones Green
10-01-2008, 12:37 PM
I'm going to do it unequipped, so I don't need a bench shirt.

Also, I guess it's a rule that you have to wear a singlet?

About the belt, I've never trained with a belt either, so I guess I don't need one of those either. At least not yet.

The snacks makes sense, because I'm sure I would have more energy on a full stomach, but why the protien shake? Does that help you lift better if you drink it right before?

And what would the rubbing ointment be for? Hands I guess?

Thanks man.

you have to wear a singlet. the rubbing ointment is something like blue heat or biofreeze, to warm up joints and muscles.

brihead301
10-01-2008, 12:50 PM
Gotcha. I never wore a singlet before. I'd imagine that I look funny as hell in one of those things.

I've always trained by myself simply due to the fact that any training partner I ever had was not down with training hard. Then again, I always used to do the bodybuilding thing.

I gotta find myself some powerlifters to lift with now, because I know they will be even more motivated then me.

I never imagined myself competing in PL comps. I'm friggin excited!!

Lones Green
10-01-2008, 12:51 PM
Gotcha. I never wore a singlet before. I'd imagine that I look funny as hell in one of those things.

I've always trained by myself simply due to the fact that any training partner I ever had was not down with training hard. Then again, I always used to do the bodybuilding thing.

I gotta find myself some powerlifters to lift with now, because I know they will be even more motivated then me.

good! it will become second nature.

drew
10-01-2008, 01:24 PM

Don't worry about looking funny in a singlet, everyone will be wearing one.

PriestCometh
10-01-2008, 02:18 PM
Clarion Bench Press Classic October 5 ADAU Clarion PA
IPA Power Challenge October 18 IPA Leesport PA
Central PA Open October 25 ADAU Bigler PA
All-Americans & World Cup November 2 WNPF Philadelphia PA
Raw Benchpress Meet November 8 N/S Somerset PA
War for the Sword November 8 SSA Warren PA
Senior Nationals November 22-23 IPA York PA
Christmas Carnage December 6 IPA Leesport PA
Coal Country Classic December 7 ADAU Bigler PA

brihead301
10-01-2008, 02:33 PM
I will definately be doing some comps VERY soon!!

Do you get some sort document telling you what you lifted after you are done? Or do you just keep mental note of it?

PriestCometh
10-01-2008, 02:45 PM
Everyone is worthy enough to compete. Dont worry about other peoples numbers.
Worry about breaking your own personal records. If you keep breaking your own records
eventually you will be kickin a$$.

Everyone who has the guts to get on the platform and let it all hangout deserve to lift
in a meet.

PriestCometh
10-01-2008, 02:55 PM
Check the website for the fed you compete in and they will have the results posted.
They also might have the results posted in PowerliftingUSA magazine.

BradDunn
10-01-2008, 04:44 PM
Yeah, just go, have fun, and get some experience. You will not regret it. I am not a powerlifter per say, but the best thing I ever did in route to competitng as a professional strongman was entering that first little amateur show and getting a taste for the sport. I ended up meeting guys that gave me tons of encouragement and they are great friends of mine to this day. That was over 4 years ago.
Go set some PR's. You will do great!

Chris Rodgers
10-01-2008, 07:14 PM
I will be competing in the IPA meet in Leesport, PA on Octovber 18th.

Chubrock
10-01-2008, 08:01 PM
I had an excellent time at my first meet. Don't put any undue stress on yourself. Just sit back and take everything in.

brihead301
10-02-2008, 07:08 AM
Chris, I looked up where Leesport PA was. That's actually not far from me. I may go to that one, I'm not sure. At least I would know someone if I were to do that. I will PM you if I am going to go.

BTW, you are a freak of nature my friend - 1540 total at a weight of 165 lbs. That's nuts.