PDA

View Full Version : How competition works

BFGUITAR
10-01-2008, 12:42 PM
I am kind of curious as to the levels of competition. What exactly is in between a local meet and an international meet (if they exist). Would there be something like city, county, state/province, national? I would also assume that it gets a lot more competitive the higher up you go.

So exactly how does the system work? I live in Canada, is it much different than in the US?

Darracq
10-01-2008, 01:10 PM
There is no system, its just who ever shows up.

Reko
10-01-2008, 01:25 PM
Actually, I think there are some meets where you need to be invited to or pass a certain total at a qualifier. I don't konw as I have not made it to that level and am no where near it.

drew
10-01-2008, 01:27 PM
Higher level meets usually require that you qualify in a meet before you can lift (Nationals, Worlds).

Most meets are open to everyone. If you're not sure, call the meet director and ask (should have contact info on the meet entry form).

Big_Byrd52
10-01-2008, 01:58 PM
theres not much organization at all. PL is too disjointed to have those kind systems at this point. i think the instituition of such a structure would go a long way in unification tho.

Travis Bell
10-01-2008, 02:02 PM
When the WPO was still alive, you had to qualify for that. I believe it was that you had to go and total at a national level meet, then go to WPO semi finals and then you were qualified for WPO finals which were at the Arnold Classic.

Now that the WPO has died, for the Pro meets there is typically a qualifying total that you must reach before you can enter in the meet. It doesn't matter where you total it, just so long as you hit that given total. Otherwise you have to get invited if you're a bench only lifter like myself.

Lones Green
10-01-2008, 02:12 PM
theres not much organization at all. PL is too disjointed to have those kind systems at this point. i think the instituition of such a structure would go a long way in unification tho.

i agree

Travis Bell
10-01-2008, 02:24 PM
Problem is, as we saw with the WPO, one person at the head of such an organization can royally screw the entire thing up

Now the obvious answer would be to have a board at the head, not one person. Problem with that is where does the money come from? Usually comes from one person. Kind of a vicious circle

Least the way I see it I guess

Detard
10-01-2008, 03:45 PM
Sean (aka. Rusty) has qualified for Nationals next year in moose jaw. I think Deeder will be competing too. Me and Sean competed at the Golden Triangle Open which was open to anyone (members of the OPA), and those who qualified for nationals, can go.

Ben Moore
10-01-2008, 03:47 PM
Sean (aka. Rusty) has qualified for Nationals next year in moose jaw. I think Deeder will be competing too. Me and Sean competed at the Golden Triangle Open which was open to anyone (members of the OPA), and those who qualified for nationals, can go.

Yeah, but those are those crazy Canucks - they always do things a little different ;)

BFGUITAR
10-01-2008, 10:22 PM
Amazing! I would like to qualify for nationals as well lol. Next year Ill be pushing my upper limit for sure. My strength is sky rocketing and my bodyweight isnt moving :).

Big_Byrd52
10-02-2008, 06:30 AM
Problem is, as we saw with the WPO, one person at the head of such an organization can royally screw the entire thing up

Now the obvious answer would be to have a board at the head, not one person. Problem with that is where does the money come from? Usually comes from one person. Kind of a vicious circle

Least the way I see it I guess

the money doesnt have to come from one person. with all the different feds and meet directors trying to make a buck, it dilutes the head to head competition and titles except all time dont mean much. what has to happen is one fed must create a sense of acomplishment for the lifters, loyalty of those to the fed and structure. Make only one avenue for pro status and make the pro status mean something. I have said before KK had a great thing going, but many slips, missed oppertunities and the ever present judging issue buried him. it will take the backing and support of the current top lifters and major meet promoters, the problem is, noone wants to relinquish control for the greater good. they see the drop in coinage from no membership cards fees and fear their meets may lose turnout. What they fail to see is the greater possibilities with a strong united front in the long run, loyalty to the fed and increased turnout for the premier fed will increase entry fees to offset and even surpass the amount generated by the fed fees.

only when the sport is approached as a business, not a hobby, will it be able to produce an enduring, dominating, unified federation.