PDA

View Full Version : hook grip help

minotaur70
10-01-2008, 06:44 PM
Hey
about 6 months ago I had surgery to reattach my bicep tendon after a tear I got deadlifting.
I decided to switch to hook grip because I don't want a repeat tear.
I am struggling- not with the pain- I can deal with that- but with keeping the grip locked in. I have been told its a rock solid grip- so what am I missing?
Once I get to about 500lbs it feels like the bar slips in my grip.
Previously I was deadlifting 660, so it frustrating to be struggling with grip at 550.
Help? Oly lifters?

Notorious
10-01-2008, 07:41 PM
Do you use chalk? I found hook grip wasn't helping me much if my hands were all sweaty and my thumbs were just slipping.

Auburn
10-01-2008, 07:52 PM
Some people use tape on the thumb to increase friction. I've also heard of some filing ridges in their thumbnails for the same effect.

Just to make sure, you are wrapping the thumb around the bar and not just gripping over it?

SGT ROCK
10-01-2008, 08:31 PM
First thing, throw away your straps. Do db shrugs for high reps, hold your last set of your dl sets for an extra few seconds. Ensure all the pressure is with the MIDDLE finger and thumb, thats the key to the hook. LIGHTLY chalk the entire thumb in addition to light chalking of the hands. Dial the grip in before you start to pull, dont rush it. Take the slack out of the bar and then start to pull.

Semper Fi

fpr
10-01-2008, 09:23 PM
does the hook grip take away from developing forearm strength at all?

Fuzzy
10-01-2008, 10:07 PM
Chalk my friend, also, clamp as many fingers over the thumb as possible, I can hold more weight with a hook grip than a mixed grip.

Take your time starting the lift, really tighten the grip and minimize the slack, its a hood grip but for dead lifting purposes you want it as high as possible in your hand.

minotaur70
10-01-2008, 10:31 PM
cheers- I have been chalking and using tape. I was starting to wonder if thumb size has anything to do with how good you can hold on.

minotaur70
10-01-2008, 10:34 PM

Just to make sure, you are wrapping the thumb around the bar and not just gripping over it?

this may be the problem- I have just been grabbing the bar as I would normally with overhand, except instead of going thumb over fingers- I have been going fingers over thumbs with the middle finger and index finger locking over the thumb. I haven't really been trying to wrap my thumb around the bar.

Chubrock
10-02-2008, 08:40 AM
I may have to try using the hook grip. I've got fairly small hands, so I'm wondering how solid this grip will end up being.

Anthony
10-02-2008, 09:19 AM
Chubs, a hook grip is solid even if you only have two fingers on the thumb. Problem is most people find it extremely painful when starting and don't stick with it long enough.

Chubrock
10-02-2008, 09:40 AM
Yea, I'm worried about even getting two over the thumb. I'll play around with it and see what's up.

Fuzzy
10-02-2008, 07:56 PM
I can choke my thumb with 3, close to 4 fingers when I lift.

It does take time to get used it, lots of tape ad chalk will help.

jthomas
10-03-2008, 04:45 AM
I have used a hook grip for almost 3 years. Your thumbs will become fairly numb from killing all of the nerve endings. This is the most anatomically correct grip though. As long as you get 2 fingers around that thumb you should never drop anything. I have never dropped a weight from grip issues with a hook grip. Just make sure you chalk all the way around both thumbs, front, back and sides.

Anthony
10-03-2008, 05:20 AM
85 reps of c&j yesterday with a hook grip - in 12-13 minutes - thumbs are a little bruised but no problems.

Fuzzy
10-03-2008, 05:59 AM
85 reps of c&j yesterday with a hook grip - in 12-13 minutes - thumbs are a little bruised but no problems.

I by no means pretend to understand crossfit, but that's just stupid.

minotaur70
10-03-2008, 06:02 AM
so am I right in thinking I should be first wrapping my thumb around the bar and then gripping with the fingers, rather than just grabbing the bar with the thumb and locking it in with the fingers?

Anthony
10-03-2008, 06:06 AM
I by no means pretend to understand crossfit, but that's just stupid.

The C&J isn't some mysterious movement that is only regulated to heavy singles. Get off your purist high horse.

Fuzzy
10-03-2008, 06:12 AM
The C&J isn't some mysterious movement that is only regulated to heavy singles. Get off your purist high horse.

I never said it would be, but it's a large, complicated movement. I am also no purist, my weightlifting club regularly partake in sessions with the local crossfit here.

My form breaks down after 25 body weight jerks, I can't imagine the risk or what the hell form would like after 85 weighted jerks. In fact, could you get a video the next time you do it? I'm really interested to see form.

Was it a power jerk by any chance? That would make more sense, a split jerk would be far harder.

There is unconventional, then there's.... 85 clean and jerks.

Anthony
10-03-2008, 06:41 AM
I never said it would be, but it's a large, complicated movement. I am also no purist, my weightlifting club regularly partake in sessions with the local crossfit here.

My form breaks down after 25 body weight jerks, I can't imagine the risk or what the hell form would like after 85 weighted jerks. In fact, could you get a video the next time you do it? I'm really interested to see form.

Was it a power jerk by any chance? That would make more sense, a split jerk would be far harder.

There is unconventional, then there's.... 85 clean and jerks.

It's only complicated compared to other barbell movements. Gymnastics contains infinite amount of movements that are far more complex. But that's neither here nor there ... I just don't buy the "it's so complicated you can only do it once" ... If you are a competitive weightlifter and need to specialize, then hell yes. But it's also an insanely powerful tool for conditioning for those of us who are not concerned about competing in WL.

It was also pretty damn light at 135 pounds. Especially for a guy with your size and power. Think about it - that's an average of about 6 lifts per minute or one every 10 seconds. And yes, power jerk.

Was every rep perfect? Nope. But I'm willing to bet that every heavy single rep you see in your club (or any club for that matter) isn't perfect either.

Point is, everyone has a theory on what it's bad/dangerous/stupid, but only when they fail to understand the big picture or the purpose, and always when they've never felt the benefits first hand.