PDA

View Full Version : How would this be for an ME cycle (bench)?

butcher2
10-02-2008, 12:45 PM
Hey everyone. I am just curious as to how this would for a ME cycle for a raw bench. My best raw bench at the moment is 325. Anyway, here is what I propose (kinda of got the idea from Travis's long so maybe he could chime in).

Week One: Floor Press 1 RM
Week Two: Doubled Minis Flat Bench 1 RM
Week Three: Flat Bench 3 to 1 RM
Deload: High rep DB's or 4X5@60%

I would then repeat the cycle after the deload week trying to beat my floor press RM. Any thoughts or suggestions? Reason I have not included boards as it seems my low end strength suffers if I focus on boards for my raw ME work. Thanks in advance!

Hazerboy
10-02-2008, 02:24 PM
Looks good to me man. I've done a few westside cycles and its come to my attention that the routine is definitely more about figuring out what works for you.

that being said, you probably won't need a deload week. Unless I'm mistaken, Deload is more for when you're putting up HUGE numbers or doing a lot of shirted work. Lots of people have gotten really strong without it. Buut, if you feel like you need it, go for it. also, have you done rep work at some point or another for all of your ME stuff? Besides banded/chained exercises, I've found that I make a lot better gains on my ME stuff once I've gotten some rep work on the exercise under my belt.

Lones Green
10-02-2008, 02:30 PM
Looks good to me man. I've done a few westside cycles and its come to my attention that the routine is definitely more about figuring out what works for you.

that being said, you probably won't need a deload week. Unless I'm mistaken, Deload is more for when you're putting up HUGE numbers or doing a lot of shirted work. Lots of people have gotten really strong without it. Buut, if you feel like you need it, go for it. also, have you done rep work at some point or another for all of your ME stuff? Besides banded/chained exercises, I've found that I make a lot better gains on my ME stuff once I've gotten some rep work on the exercise under my belt.

good post.

you are going to be the best judge, because you should know your body better than anyone. if you don't, you just need more time under the bar and you'll figure it out.

that being said, those are good choices for raw work. i'm guessing you get stuck at lockout?

PriestCometh
10-02-2008, 04:57 PM
After deload, I love adding chains and pinpresses.

butcher2
10-02-2008, 07:05 PM
So what about:

Week One: Floor Press 1 RM
Week Two: Doubled Minis Flat Bench 1 RM
Week Three: Close Grip with chains (1 set of chains, adding bar weight)
Week Four: Straight weight flat bench 3-1 RM
Week Five: Repeat with floor press and run it again trying to break floor max?

For the past 4 months I've been doing a scheduled deload every 4th week, but I guess it hasn't really made much of a difference as far as the weight moves. Maybe if I just keep with those 4 exercises and keep rotating 'em it work out better?

Hazerboy
10-02-2008, 07:11 PM
Give it a try, looks good to me. there are more experienced guys out there than me that could review this but they'll probably tell you the same thing - looking through the journals its amazing how simple some of their routines are. You might want throw in a deload every couple cycles if you start burning out.