PDA

View Full Version : Now that I'm back to squatting, critique

berfles
10-02-2008, 01:29 PM
It's been a rough journey with squats and deads but I think I'm finally healed enough to do them both. My squat goes up every week and so far I just passed my record with a measly 225 5x5 today. Keep in mind I've only technically been squatting for about 6 months with all the times I had to stop.

Anyway, off the bat I can see my ass seems to come up a bit faster than the rest of me and I might be locking my knees too hard. Any other suggestions? I don't even like posting this because my squat is less than my bench (I think), though last week I was doing my 5x5 with 220lbs and I did 10 reps my last set and could have done 10 again with 225 during my last set today so I'm not sure where that puts me at for a max...

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b251/jfindon/th_DSCN7550.jpg (http://s21.photobucket.com/albums/b251/jfindon/?action=view&current=DSCN7550.flv)

=Travis=
10-02-2008, 01:53 PM
Your knees are coming in on the way up, push them out.

berfles
10-02-2008, 02:01 PM
Alrighty, I see they I do tend to pull them in a bit on the way up. I'll take note of that for next week, thanks.

Detard
10-02-2008, 02:21 PM
What the **** are you listening to?

berfles
10-02-2008, 02:28 PM
What the **** are you listening to?

Hahaha, I get more comments about what I listen to than my lifts :D

I think at the time I had some ghost show on Discovery. I lifted way early today and my Zune isn't charged so no music and Scrubs (my usual lifting noise) wasn't on :)

one rep under
10-19-2008, 10:34 PM
haha thats awesome that you lift to scrubs! probably the best show ever made

must_eat
10-20-2008, 12:23 PM
the squats look good 2 me :)

Sensei
10-20-2008, 08:12 PM
Looks pretty good. If I were lifting with you I'd slap you in the gut and scream at you to get tighter. Your knees are coming in which tells me that you aren't engaging your glutes and hams as much as you could.

Reko
10-20-2008, 08:53 PM
lift faster on the way up

johnnyo_99
10-21-2008, 03:13 PM
Positives:
bar position was good
breathing looked good
kept your head up and drove through the lift with your traps
nice arch in lower back

Needs improvement:
widen your stance
break at the hips first, not the knees and sit back into the squat more.
putting to much weight on the balls of your feet, all the weight should be on your heels. you should be able to point your toes up during the lift.
knees cave in to compensate for the weight, lower the weight to protect your knees until you correct your form and/or improve glute/ham strength.
Knees should not go past your toes, keep shins as vertical as possible.

Jorge Sanchez
10-21-2008, 03:58 PM
Knees out.

Other than that, solid lift. Depth looks good. You could probably sit back a bit more, but if you focus on pushing your knees out that should take care of itself.

anonymous1
10-22-2008, 02:44 PM
If this is "good", I've been watching way too many Rippetoe critiques and obsessing too much. This is basically what I do, and can't seem to keep my knees out while at the same time maintaining depth.

Do you have a tendency to fall forward a bit on your toes?