PDA

View Full Version : football

texron
10-03-2008, 08:02 AM
Hey guys,
this is my sons first year for football, he's 12 and in 7th grade. Right now he's a center, but that could easily change next year. My question: what kind of lifting and conditioning can I have him do in the off season to prepare him for next years 8th grade team. We take our football pretty seriuos here in TX:evillaugh: Also, the boy is so slow he can't get out of his own way, he's a big kid but not very strong. I'd appreciate as much detail about lifting and conditioning/spped work for a 12-13 year old as possible.
Thanks everyone.
Ron

Twirl
10-03-2008, 09:43 AM
Starting Strength routine for strength. Ladders, sled dragging, sprints, and plyos. Just general plyometrics, in order to get faster and more agile you have to work on it and run/jump.

texron
10-03-2008, 10:25 AM
Starting Strength routine for strength. Ladders, sled dragging, sprints, and plyos. Just general plyometrics, in order to get faster and more agile you have to work on it and run/jump.

Thanks man, I thought SS might be a good place to start, you think 3 days lift, 2 days conditioning/speed work? I have him flipping a light (80lb) tire also, he thinks it's fun :-)

WillNoble
10-03-2008, 11:11 AM
http://www.elitefts.com/ws4sb/WS4SB.pdf

texron
10-03-2008, 11:44 AM
http://www.elitefts.com/ws4sb/WS4SB.pdf

hey Will, I've seen that, you think it's okay for a 13 year old? Maybe scale it down a bit?

WillNoble
10-03-2008, 12:28 PM
yeah I wouldnt get so heavy into ME lifting for someone that age, give him another year, but the explosive jumping/sprinting etc. would be great for him. Im at work now, I'll give a more detailed answer later tonight

texron
10-03-2008, 12:38 PM
yeah I wouldnt get so heavy into ME lifting for someone that age, give him another year, but the explosive jumping/sprinting etc. would be great for him. Im at work now, I'll give a more detailed answer later tonight

THANKS!!! I'd appreciate it, I really would like the whole Friday night lights thing :) he's very good, just a little slow, speed wise, . Wish you could teach aggresiveness :outnumber:

WillNoble
10-04-2008, 12:00 PM
The biggest thing you need to realize with your boy is that he's 13, he's still got time to mature, and trust me...he will

I wouldnt really push weight training for him until he hits the summer before h.s., but for now work with him on his footwork. Quick feet = good line play.

If I had a son that age and in that situation I would work mainly with bodyweight movements, such as:

Pushups
Situps
Crunches
Free Squats
Assisted pull-ups
Leg Lifts
Split Style Depth Squats

the list is endless.

I would then utilize the speed and agility section of WS4SBIII. Its going to be a good challenge for him, but not insanely taxing on his body.

In regards to Starting Strength, I think its a great book and a great workout. I am very fond of Rippetoe and his work. HOWEVER I am more fond of Defranco's work when it comes to football. The guy has proven results and I, for one, wished that he had been around 8 years ago when I first started playing college ball, so I could go train there in the summers.

Again, have patience with your boy, he still has alot of growing to do. Most important of all make sure he's having fun...its just a game

Ben Moore
10-04-2008, 02:21 PM
The biggest thing you need to realize with your boy is that he's 13, he's still got time to mature, and trust me...he will

I wouldnt really push weight training for him until he hits the summer before h.s., but for now work with him on his footwork. Quick feet = good line play.

If I had a son that age and in that situation I would work mainly with bodyweight movements, such as:

Pushups
Situps
Crunches
Free Squats
Assisted pull-ups
Leg Lifts
Split Style Depth Squats

the list is endless.

I would then utilize the speed and agility section of WS4SBIII. Its going to be a good challenge for him, but not insanely taxing on his body.

In regards to Starting Strength, I think its a great book and a great workout. I am very fond of Rippetoe and his work. HOWEVER I am more fond of Defranco's work when it comes to football. The guy has proven results and I, for one, wished that he had been around 8 years ago when I first started playing college ball, so I could go train there in the summers.

Again, have patience with your boy, he still has alot of growing to do. Most important of all make sure he's having fun...its just a game

Great advice. I played ball in TX in high school and I wish someone had told me all of this when I was playing...15 years ago...

texron
10-04-2008, 03:38 PM

Pushups
Situps
Crunches
Free Squats
Assisted pull-ups
Leg Lifts
Split Style Depth Squats

the list is endless.

Thanks for the great post....For sure I want him to have fun, it's pretty cut-throat here in TX even in 7th grade. He gets up every morning at 5:45 to be at practice by 6:30. Has practice from 6:30-9:00 M-F. I'm a proud pop, just want to give him the best chance of sucess. THANKS A LOT FOR YOUR HELP!!!!

WillNoble
10-04-2008, 03:43 PM
I can appreciate that. While my state (Kentucky) was nothing like Texas in regards to football, but I can definitely relate as football is a very serious thing in the fall here

texron
10-04-2008, 04:20 PM
I can appreciate that. While my state (Kentucky) was nothing like Texas in regards to football, but I can definitely relate as football is a very serious thing in the fall here

I think theres a resolution in the Texas House to have infant boys Tatoo'd with a football image at birth..I'm sure it will pass :-) There are 3 high schools in the city I live in, they built a new stadium that holds 20,000 for when 2 of them face each other. It draws a bigger crowd than when the local college plays.

WillNoble
10-04-2008, 04:37 PM
hahaha yeah I know what you mean, My H.S. would get 6000 - 8000 a game. I remember visiting a smaller college when I was being recruited and laughed when they told me they averaged around 2000 spectators a game

Sensei
10-04-2008, 05:12 PM
I agree completely w. Will. I'd just add that it is a great time right now to get him used to some barbell exercises - going pretty light and maybe occasionally setting a rep record here and there.

Jim Wendler had a great, great article at elitefts.com (probably been at least 5 years since he posted it) about mistakes high school FB players make in the weight room - if I can find the link, I'll add it here. http://elitefts.com/documents/training-high-school-athletes.htm

WillNoble
10-04-2008, 05:14 PM
Anon Delivers:

http://www.elitefts.com/documents/westside_training_football.htm

http://www.elitefts.com/documents/training-high-school-athletes.htm

WillNoble
10-04-2008, 05:16 PM
A few more good ones:

http://www.elitefts.com/documents/lifts_for_football.htm

http://www.elitefts.com/documents/elite_kids.htm

http://www.elitefts.com/documents/basement.htm

texron
10-04-2008, 05:55 PM
I agree completely w. Will. I'd just add that it is a great time right now to get him used to some barbell exercises - going pretty light and maybe occasionally setting a rep record here and there.

Jim Wendler had a great, great article at elitefts.com (probably been at least 5 years since he posted it) about mistakes high school FB players make in the weight room - if I can find the link, I'll add it here.

Anon Delivers:

http://www.elitefts.com/documents/westside_training_football.htm

http://www.elitefts.com/documents/training-high-school-athletes.htm

Thanks for all the help, I'll remember you guys when my boys playing for..wait for it...The Bears!!!

Sensei
10-04-2008, 06:33 PM
Thanks Will.

40 Nunc
10-04-2008, 06:37 PM
I'm in the same boat Texron. This is my son's first year of ball but 8th grade. He's on 'B' team as a middle linebacker but he's got pretty good speed and hands so there is talk of moving him to 'A' team once he learns the plays. But he's also a bean pole! 14 y/o 5'6" and 118 lbs. I was thinking about starting him on Rippetoes SS for next season.

What part of Texas? I'm in north Dallas myself.

texron
10-04-2008, 07:26 PM
I'm in the same boat Texron. This is my son's first year of ball but 8th grade. He's on 'B' team as a middle linebacker but he's got pretty good speed and hands so there is talk of moving him to 'A' team once he learns the plays. But he's also a bean pole! 14 y/o 5'6" and 118 lbs. I was thinking about starting him on Rippetoes SS for next season.

What part of Texas? I'm in north Dallas myself.

Denton, my son is the starting center, he's the oppisite of your son, he's big 5'5" and 148 13 y/o this week, slow as can be. i was the fastest kid in my school school so its tough watching him run :drooling:

40 Nunc
10-05-2008, 06:26 AM
Holy crap! 148 lbs and only 13... My son turns 14 tomorrow and I'm going broke trying to feed him. You'd think he put on some weight but he just keeps getting taller...

I used to ride my quads out by you... Rocky Ridge & Muenster...

Ben Moore
10-05-2008, 09:03 AM
Denton, my son is the starting center, he's the oppisite of your son, he's big 5'5" and 148 13 y/o this week, slow as can be. i was the fastest kid in my school school so its tough watching him run :drooling:

haha - I went to school at Northwest in Justin.

texron
10-05-2008, 09:04 AM
Holy crap! 148 lbs and only 13... My son turns 14 tomorrow and I'm going broke trying to feed him. You'd think he put on some weight but he just keeps getting taller...

I used to ride my quads out by you... Rocky Ridge & Muenster...

LOL!! I'm hoping for a giant:omg: Yes, our food bill is huge between him and me. he carries some of his weight where his kidneys are, on his sides towards the back, kinda wierd. he should start filling out the next couple years which should produce the giant I'm hoping for:)

texron
10-05-2008, 09:06 AM
haha - I went to school at Northwest in Justin.

My in-laws live there, we don't get there much:evillaugh: Northwest is HUGE now, don't know if you've been back much but they built a HUGE stadium for the school districts in Northwest.

Ben Moore
10-05-2008, 09:35 AM
My in-laws live there, we don't get there much:evillaugh: Northwest is HUGE now, don't know if you've been back much but they built a HUGE stadium for the school districts in Northwest.

Yeah at one point they had pictures of the new indoor practice facility and weightroom - awesome stuff.

texron
10-05-2008, 11:56 AM
Yeah at one point they had pictures of the new indoor practice facility and weightroom - awesome stuff.

A lot of colleges would be envious

powerboy93
10-05-2008, 02:46 PM
to get him faster- run hills. we did 30 of them each practice.

texron
10-05-2008, 07:30 PM
to get him faster- run hills. we did 30 of them each practice.

heh, you haven't been to N. texas have you? What hills? I get what you're saying though.