PDA

View Full Version : Bah, weight gaining coming slow again

berfles
10-04-2008, 11:08 AM
Time to up my calories a bit I guess. Two weeks ago I gained 2lbs, last week I gained .9lbs and this week I gained .6lbs. I'm at an all time high of 185.1 so I guess I just need to add 200-300 more and see if that gets me going again. I'm surprised I've gained as long as I have with the same number of calories, went from 170-185 without eating any more than I've been as of late.

Time to install my calorie program again and see just how many I've been eating and go from there. This may not bode well for my bench goal by the end of the year. Have to buckle down more.

Progress
10-06-2008, 01:52 PM
Good luck, man. I know how it is to be perpetually bulking and have to force the food down. I love to eat, don't get me wrong, but overeating with regularity isn't the easiest thing to do.

Stay with it!

berfles
10-06-2008, 02:15 PM
Thanks. I'm going to need some motivation because I'm just feeling run down again, not really looking forward to working out, all because of how slow weight is coming. I feel more full than usual too.

I need to think of something else to eat that'll give me another 300 calories. I've been thinking about putting cream into my shakes, I heard there are a lot of calories in that.

Tom Mutaffis
10-06-2008, 04:36 PM
Weight gain can be tricky, my body tends to stall and even fall back and then will bounce up after a heavy weight training session and a lot of sleep.

Are you using one "cheat day" to go crazy on the calories or doing everything on a day by day system where you cycle carbs / macros?

Maybe focus on maintaining your weight while getting stronger or lowering bodyfat for a few weeks and then go back into hardcore eating. It is easy to get burnt out on one goal, especially when you have been working at it for a long time.

That or you can just read about what some other guys on gainers programs are doing and motivate yourself that way. When I don't want to train I picture all of the accomplishments that others have had and think about how well I will do in my next contest / meet because I did not skip a day.

Invain
10-06-2008, 04:40 PM
Since you're making shakes, do you ever use olive oil? You'll never even notice a couple table spoons and it'd add a couple hundred cals. Some type of heavy cream would work as well, but it'd probably be a little expensive. Do you put ice cream in your shakes?

berfles
10-06-2008, 04:46 PM
Since you're making shakes, do you ever use olive oil? You'll never even notice a couple table spoons and it'd add a couple hundred cals. Some type of heavy cream would work as well, but it'd probably be a little expensive. Do you put ice cream in your shakes?

Yep to ice cream and olive oil. I put about a tbsp of oil and one cup of ice cream in.

Weight gain can be tricky, my body tends to stall and even fall back and then will bounce up after a heavy weight training session and a lot of sleep.

Are you using one "cheat day" to go crazy on the calories or doing everything on a day by day system where you cycle carbs / macros?

Maybe focus on maintaining your weight while getting stronger or lowering bodyfat for a few weeks and then go back into hardcore eating. It is easy to get burnt out on one goal, especially when you have been working at it for a long time.

That or you can just read about what some other guys on gainers programs are doing and motivate yourself that way. When I don't want to train I picture all of the accomplishments that others have had and think about how well I will do in my next contest / meet because I did not skip a day.

I just eat the same stuff every day and get around the same calories every day. I really don't like any food anymore so it's not that I'm just sick of the same stuff.

I'm just feeling really nuts now that I set that damn bench goal of 315 by January 1 because now I feel like any time I don't gain at least 1 pound I'm hindering progress. I'm weary of taking it easy for a week because I feel like I need every chance to get to my goal.

Invain
10-06-2008, 05:13 PM
Put butter on anything you eat that'd taste normal with it. Try 2 - 3 tbsp of olive oil instead of 1, seriously you probably won't taste it.

berfles
10-06-2008, 05:29 PM
Bleh, butter makes me sick. I'll try some more oil though. I need to re-work how many calories I'm getting and find some files on my other OS here so I don't have to manually add all my shakes into the program. Once I do that maybe I won't feel so overwhelmed.

berfles
10-06-2008, 06:33 PM
Son of a bitch. That was the worst workout I've had I think. I was benching 245 in my 5x5 and only got one set with 5 reps. 5/4/3/1 and didn't even attempt fifth set. I added 10lbs and just did a single for the fourth.

I guess now I have to take a break, I must be burned out. This pisses me off.

Invain
10-06-2008, 08:30 PM
When's the last time you've switched up your training? I personally hate 5x5's.

berfles
10-06-2008, 09:13 PM
Honestly it's been awhile, but I stick with it because usually after a week off I pick back up and the gains start flying again. I really like 5x5s for strength. I was going to switch my routine when my bench was stuck at 225 but then it started gaining again and I got up to 245 without trouble. Now I'm stuck again and I don't remember what got me over the hump. I think it was just gaining some weight because I didn't try any supplementing workouts.

Hopefully it'll work like that again and once I get by 245 I'll get up to at least 265 before getting stuck, I figure once I can rep 265 for at least 6-8 reps I should be ready to try 315 once.

Tom Mutaffis
10-07-2008, 08:55 AM
I'm just feeling really nuts now that I set that damn bench goal of 315 by January 1 because now I feel like any time I don't gain at least 1 pound I'm hindering progress. I'm weary of taking it easy for a week because I feel like I need every chance to get to my goal.

There is some correlation between bodyweight and strength, but not as much as people think. Gaining 1 lbs per week will not be completely lean mass, and bodyweight leverages do not seem to play quite as big of a role in the bench press. For most people it is achievable for them to get somewhere close to 2X bodyweight raw bench press for a single with proper training, technique, rest, and diet. This may take months or even years of discpline though.

Right now it sounds like you are overtrained so I would take a break for about a week and maybe try adding some new foods into your diet. Some good foods for weight gain include milk, natual protein, and balanced shakes.

AtLarge published an article on the bench press and there are some powerlifting experts in that section of this forum if you need training / form tips.

berfles
10-07-2008, 10:06 AM
There is some correlation between bodyweight and strength, but not as much as people think. Gaining 1 lbs per week will not be completely lean mass, and bodyweight leverages do not seem to play quite as big of a role in the bench press. For most people it is achievable for them to get somewhere close to 2X bodyweight raw bench press for a single with proper training, technique, rest, and diet. This may take months or even years of discpline though.

I can understand that, while at my job and losing weight I went from a max of 210-215 to about 240.

Right now it sounds like you are overtrained so I would take a break for about a week and maybe try adding some new foods into your diet. Some good foods for weight gain include milk, natual protein, and balanced shakes.

I agree with this as well, I never sucked that badly for a session even when I needed a break before. Thing is the rest of my lifts are fine, so do you think I should finish out the week so I can actually take a full week off or just stop now and have to skip bench next week while resuming everything else? I'd rather just finish the week so I can actually relax all next week instead of part now and part then.

Tom Mutaffis
10-07-2008, 03:10 PM
Why not just do some low volume, low intensity work incorporating machines instead of compound free weight movements for the rest of this week. Next week skip your bench workout and move up to free weights for all other muscle groups but keep them lighter and lower volume again to allow more efficient recovery.

One thing that you should be doing is switching up your bench press training, most people plateau because they do not have enough variation which in turn does not allow for proper recovery, and also does not force any strength adaptation.

I have made more strength gains training 1-3 times per week than I did when training 4-5 times per week, simply due to the added rest and recovery. If you want to train frequenty (which does promote better aesthetics) then you need to train smart.

berfles
10-07-2008, 03:44 PM
I don't have any machines to work on, I work out in my basement with my power rack.

One thing I was never sure about was what a low weight is considered. What percentage of my 1RM should I be using in the low weight situations?

I also wonder if by adding more triceps work hurt my progress instead of helping. I started hitting them harder because they're my sticking point in bench, while before I only did a couple extra sets of triceps and relied on the bench for most of the work.

EDIT: I think I'll just do a few light sets with my normal exercises to finish the week, then take all of next week off. I am feeling queasy for some reason and was going to do a normal session of deads but I don't have it in me right now.