PDA

View Full Version : whey/casein protein shake immediately after lunch/dinner?

samadhi_smiles
10-04-2008, 12:51 PM
Hello,

I'm in the process of trying to gain weight. This time though I want to gain slow enough so that I don't get a bunch of fat added to my body (I'd prefer a longer time bulking and going slower than do it fast and add a bunch of fat). I'm wondering if its a good idea to add a whey/casein shake (with 2% milk) to my diet immediately after lunch and dinners. I already drink one (with 5g creatine) immediately after lifting (fullbody 3x a week).

Whey releases fast into the body, but my reasoning is that if I just ate a meal that is high protein/low GI carb/high (good) fat, then the whey will release much slower into my system (since all that other stuff is slow releasing). So, it will be an easy way to add 70g of protein to my diet.

Or is this a bad idea and just likely to add on LBs of fat?

I also eat 2 cans of tuna a day (in between meals) and everyday always eat 3 hardboiled eggs with my cereal in the morning and either chicken, fish, or red meat for dinner (with veggies and good carbs) and usually at least some protein at lunch (yogurt usually with a pbj sandwhich). So, I'm not doing TERRIBLE on protein already, but I figure a little more won't hurt (I probably get 120g typically, and want to get up to around 200g/day). I weigh 140ish last time I weighed and am trying to get up to around 150ish (lean).
ps nitrean strawberry flavor, uhhh YUM tastes freakin' GOOD :drooling:

Progress
10-06-2008, 01:50 PM
Don't complicate matters so much. If you've calculated your macros so that you're eating the appropriate macro-nutrients daily it won't really matter when you drink a shake or eat a particular meal. That being said, it is beneficial to eat a carb/protein meal or shake before and after workout.

As long as the shake you mentioned fits into your macros, drink it when you please.