PDA

View Full Version : integrating plyometrics with Rippetoes program

Brendonia12
10-04-2008, 07:29 PM
So, I want to start on the Rippetoes program, and I also want to be doing plyometrics, wind-sprints, and some distance running. Rippetoes is 3x's a week, how should I organize these excersizes so that I still have proper time to rest and what not??

KingJustin
10-05-2008, 09:11 AM
If you are setting it up M/W/F...

I would do your sprints and some plyos on Saturday. Do your distance running on Tuesday and do some quick plyos after the M/W/F workouts.

Also, in all honesty that's going to be a whole lot on your body so you're going to have to take some days off. My recommendation is that you be flexible about working out on Saturday/Sunday, and if your body is beat up then take off on Monday and Tuesday and move everything over 2 days (i.e. monday's workout on tuesday, tuesday on wednesday, etc.) even though it will throw your days off a little.

ljs102
10-05-2008, 03:41 PM
I also just started SS on a slow bulk for lacrosse. I'm doing the split M/W/F and want to incorporate endurance, speed, and agility training. Do you guys think it would be best to do the cardio/speed training on lifting days or off days? I've been lifting for about a year but just started Rippetoe and want to stay in top shape and gain speed while gaining muscle for my sport.

KingJustin
10-05-2008, 07:33 PM
^^^

If you are going to play lacrosse then incorporating cardio is definitely important. That said, it's not easy to put on weight, so make sure you are eating a ton of food.

Starting strength is a really good program, and essentially doing the same thing I outlined above would work very well for developing a base for lacrosse. That said, you might want to just do CrossFit instead. Just go to the main site and do the workout listed every day, in addition to a warm-up (3 rounds of 10 of push-ups, overhead squats, glute-ham sit-ups, pull-ups). Kill yourself on the cardio workouts and bring serious intensity on the max-effort work and you will have some great results.

Kenny Croxdale
10-13-2008, 08:43 AM
So, I want to start on the Rippetoes program, and I also want to be doing plyometrics, wind-sprints, and some distance running. Rippetoes is 3x's a week, how should I organize these excersizes so that I still have proper time to rest and what not??

One of the problems with most athletes isoverly ambitious programs that tear you down more than they build you up. With that said, your program falls into that catagory.

Add in either plyometrics or wind-sprint, not both. Plyometrics can be peformed prior to your weight training session or you can "superset" plyometircs with you weight training sets, so to speak.

This "supersetting" of a strength movement with a power or speed movement is "Complex Training." it is a very effective method of increasing strength, power or speed, dependent on how you write your program.

My suggestion for wind-sprint would be to peform them in a seperate session on the same day.

Weight training, plyometrics and wind-sprint develop the fast twitch IIA and IIB muscle fiber. Performing distance running develops slow twitch I muscle fiber. That means you asking you to do two different things at the same time.

Also, distance running (endurance training) has been show to be detrimental to incresing strength, power and speed. So, what is the reasoning for your wanting to put it in your program.

Kenny Croxdale

ljs102
10-13-2008, 09:22 AM
I can't speak for the OP, but here is what I do and why:

I don't do very long distances, sometimes I will do 60 minutes on the eliptical and at most I will run 2.5 to 3 miles. I do this more to keep fat gains to a minimum and improve stamina. I want to gain a little endurance but key on agility and quickness. I play basketball and lacrosse, and do plyometrics and shorter sprints. In my sport and for my position stamina is very important, but more important is a quick first step, change of direction, and quickness in short 10-30 yard bursts.

KingJustin
10-13-2008, 02:39 PM
Lacrosse was my sport so I understand the demands of it pretty well. For the most part, lots of long distance stuff that builds endurance isn't really necessary. It's a lot more important to do things that benefit other aspects of cardio, like short-rest sprint repeats, for example.

Kenny makes goods points. And he's right about doing plyos before the workout rather than after. I shouldn't have suggested the inverse.

Your best bet is really to do CrossFit and add in a little speed work, plyometrics and sprint repeats.

speed_expert
10-20-2008, 02:20 PM
plyos/speed/running all done BEFORE lifting, and on the same days.

KingJustin
10-20-2008, 02:27 PM
I agree on the plyos part, and for the speed part I think it's debatable ... it depends a lot on whether you're doing sprint repeats for cardio or to improve your sprint speed. The former and you definitely want to do it after. The latter and you probably want to do it before, but keeping in mind that it might detract from your lifts a little so you'll have to prioritize.

But, I think any kind of long-distance-running or running for cardio, it's a mistake to do that before lifting. If you use any kind of intensity, then you're not going to be able to lift at the right intensity afterward.

speed_expert
10-20-2008, 02:29 PM
I agree on the plyos part, and for the speed part I think it's debatable ... it depends a lot on whether you're doing sprint repeats for cardio or to improve your sprint speed. The former and you definitely want to do it after. The latter and you probably want to do it before, but keeping in mind that it might detract from your lifts a little so you'll have to prioritize.

But, I think any kind of long-distance-running or running for cardio, it's a mistake to do that before lifting. If you use any kind of intensity, then you're not going to be able to lift at the right intensity afterward.

Personal experience...I always lifted more when lifting after speed. :)