PDA

View Full Version : OMG ( regarding meet weigh-in )

BigTallOx
10-05-2008, 02:18 AM
Last friday, I had a pathetic ME bench session ( I'm guessing because I was recovering from a cold and did heavy squats and deads the day before ). So, I figured that I should stay completely out of the gym for the next 9 days before my meet. Which I did. I weighed in for the meet yesterday, and OMG! I weigh 290! I've been trying to gain some weight, but I had no idea I gained 5 pounds since my last workout. My belt still fits the same, so it must be good. Hopefully it will translate into bigger numbers at the meet. Wish me luck.

fulldaddy
10-05-2008, 07:09 AM
Good luck BTO. I would certainly attribute your subpar ME bench to following squats & DL's the day before. I don't know how you made it through 9 days out of the gym - I'd be interested to hear if you'd do it again that way. I did 5 days and it drove me nuts - didn't like it at all but all my lifts ended up being above my expectations. Get after it.

Travis Bell
10-05-2008, 07:15 AM
Alot of the bigger guys need more time to recover before a meet. Some of your lifters will not take a lift 10 days out from a meet. Now they will still come in and do recovery work, but nothing heavy.

BigTallOx
10-05-2008, 07:35 AM
I don't know how you made it through 9 days out of the gym

Me either to tell you the truth.

I'd be interested to hear if you'd do it again that way.

Later today/tomorrow, I'll post how the meet went for me. I sure feel ready to go right now.

Andrew Cohn
10-05-2008, 02:31 PM
More body weight will always mean bigger weights.

As far as recorvery, I myself take about 10 days off before a meet. No heavy lifts, some recovery work and maybe one or two really light speed workouts but thats it. It's amazing how the body and cns recover and supercompensate come meet day!:omg:

BigTallOx
10-05-2008, 06:10 PM
Well, I now have 2 meets under my belt. The 9 day rest was definitely the right thing to do. My bench was up 7.5 kilos from the meet last month, and my deadlift was up 30 kilos from the meet last month. Unfortunately, I had more in me on both of them. I need to learn how to plan my attempts better.

Andrew Cohn
10-06-2008, 07:45 AM
Dont you hate it when that happens! I did a meet in March and was primed for my first 501 pull. I took it on my third attempt and grinded it to a lockout but get 3 reds on account of a slight "up and down." So I train my ass off for 16 weeks until the USAPL Raw Nationals. I was all set to pull 501 or 507 on my third attempt. Well training had gone so perfectly leading up to this meet that my 2nd attempt of 490 flew up like a feather. So I take 512 for a 3rd attempt and a big PR. Not only do I get it but my coach looks at me after and tells me "523 would have been the correct attempt, 530 probably would have gone." Oh well, hindsight is always 20/20! That's what the next meet is for!