PDA

View Full Version : Using a Bench Shirt; Westside Programming Question

smitsky
10-05-2008, 08:39 PM
I have been following the Westside Template for a few months now, and I have a question regarding when I should use a Bench Shirt.

I am 7 weeks out from a USAPL meet. I have a new single ply Katana S/S. I need to break the shirt in. I was told that 6 workouts was enough to get the shirt working to my chest.

I will be using the shirt on Sunday. Since I go heavy with the shirt, I figure that this is the equivalent of a ME day.

I will now switch my DE day to Wednesday.

I've heard that Westside does Shirt Work on ME day. Is this true? If so, how does this work? Does Shirt Work becore the Core Exercise, or is another Core Exercise performed prior to Shirt Work?

Let's start from there.

Thanks in advance :)

Travis Bell
10-05-2008, 08:48 PM
we do core work on ME squat days

on ME bench if we are using shirts we work up to a single on either whatever boards we are using or off the chest.

smitsky
10-05-2008, 09:05 PM
we do core work on ME squat days

on ME bench if we are using shirts we work up to a single on either whatever boards we are using or off the chest.

Thank you Travis. Much appreciated.

:)

Travis Bell
10-05-2008, 09:44 PM
No problem bud :)

drew
10-06-2008, 06:13 AM
We do the same at Southside. Heavy boards and shirt work on ME day.

Good luck getting your shirt working before the meet.

smitsky
10-06-2008, 08:30 PM
We do the same at Southside. Heavy boards and shirt work on ME day.

Good luck getting your shirt working before the meet.

Thanks a lot drew. :)

NASAKYCHAIRMAN
10-08-2008, 06:38 AM
The key is to find out what can touch in your new shirt! When you do you next Max Effort Workout, you should know what weight it will take to touch. This will prevent from not touching on the competition platform. Also, practice holding the weight for 2-3 secs because you'll have to wait for a start command in the USAPL. The judges will be looking for your elbows to be completely lockout. When I competed at the 8-31-08 USAPL Bp Nationals, a lot of lifters missed their openers due to not having their elbows lockout.

If you don't mind, keep us informed about your next shirt workout.

smitsky
10-08-2008, 08:36 PM
The key is to find out what can touch in your new shirt! When you do you next Max Effort Workout, you should know what weight it will take to touch. This will prevent from not touching on the competition platform. Also, practice holding the weight for 2-3 secs because you'll have to wait for a start command in the USAPL. The judges will be looking for your elbows to be completely lockout. When I competed at the 8-31-08 USAPL Bp Nationals, a lot of lifters missed their openers due to not having their elbows lockout.

If you don't mind, keep us informed about your next shirt workout.

Thanks for the tips J. T.

I competed in the USAPL New Jersey States Bench Press Championship this March. The two lifts were passed that I was able to hit, and my last attempt failed during lockout. I was not judged fairly on my first attempt. I held the weight for long after the "rack" command was given before racking it. One judge was watching another ball game and red-lighted me for jumping the rack command :clown:

This same judge red-lighted me for lifting my head a tiny bit on my second attempt. This time he was justified.

I'll watch my elbows, thanks.

I'll probably not be able to touch without a lot of Board Press to break it in. I haven't had any luck with weight over 295, so I'll work up to, and try to breech that level.

I already hold the weight for a while before starting, which I learned from reading about Metal Militia's training.

I will post my workout this weekend. Thanks.

smitsky
10-12-2008, 08:09 PM
I was in a lot of pain today, trying to break my shirt in. If anyone can offer any tips, please take a look at my Training Journal. There's a link posted in my signature.

Thanks.