PDA

View Full Version : Update - how much longer?...

diesel_dan
10-06-2008, 12:22 AM
So heres a quick update photo of where i'm at. Weighing in at 185 right now. How many more pounds do you guys figure before I see those abs?

edit - I realize it's a crappy pic, but it's the best I could do for now. I will try to get better ones later.

Patz
10-06-2008, 06:21 AM
I mean this in the most serious way...

You don't HAVE any.

You're pretty lean. Your abs (had they been well-developed) should be poking through long before now. The abs you DO have (the inverted kind) are going to require extreme leanness in order to show up.

Pounds? I have no idea. Maybe another 10-15?

diesel_dan
10-06-2008, 07:17 AM
Thanks mrelwooddownd. It's been a goal to see them clearly and so far I haven't obtained it. See, I've NEVER directly worked abs... just a lot of core work (squats etc). And the reason for that is I always read on here that core work would be enough (same for curls etc). Maybe I should start? What do you mean by the "inverted kind"?

Cards
10-06-2008, 08:30 AM
squats and deadlifts only really work your core if you actually use them to stabalize your self during the exercise....which most people don't. Don't worry about your abbs, it's almost the winter. Focus on building what you have so next summer you WILL have abbs.

diesel_dan
10-06-2008, 12:26 PM
Well I am pretty certain I am squatting correctly. Anyways, I live in Florida so winter around here is non existent. It is time for a good bulk though... I'll make sure to hit the abs this time around

pipes
10-06-2008, 02:17 PM
Why are you so concerned about just your abs?

Patz
10-06-2008, 04:31 PM
Thanks mrelwooddownd. It's been a goal to see them clearly and so far I haven't obtained it. See, I've NEVER directly worked abs... just a lot of core work (squats etc). And the reason for that is I always read on here that core work would be enough (same for curls etc). Maybe I should start? What do you mean by the "inverted kind"?

I mean inverted in the way that by the time they show up, you'll look like you're completely sucking your stomach in all the time. You'll look sickly.

I definitely believe in some ab work. Residual ab work from squats and deads and things is really only for general strength and stability. Unless you have great genes and already own a big set of abdominals, you'll need to hit them directly.

If you're hapy with your build, then don't go overboard with the bulk. Just eat at maintenance and keep the protein up, hit the abs, and see what you look like in another couple months. You've already got that separation down low that a lot of people wish for, so you'll probably be pleased at where a little work can get you.

foodist
10-07-2008, 12:53 AM
Might it be a case of extra skin from before you lost the weight? Also, abs are overrated. I'd rather have 19" arms and a keg stomach than 14" arms and a six pack.

I guess the grass is always greener? Anyway, you look good, don't get too concerned over this.

diesel_dan
10-08-2008, 07:34 PM
Seeing my abs has just been something i've always wanted to achieve. I don't mind bulking up more, i've been cutting for a while now. I'll just be sure to throw in direct ab work this time. Hopefully in a couple months i'll see some results. Thanks for the advice guys.

must_eat
10-08-2008, 11:33 PM
u have to work your abs to if you want to see them bro. just cant do squats and expect abs to come through. Do weight crunches, do side thrust and leg lifts bro trust me.

BFGUITAR
10-09-2008, 04:26 PM
u have to work your abs to if you want to see them bro. just cant do squats and expect abs to come through. Do weight crunches, do side thrust and leg lifts bro trust me.

You can do all the crunches in the world and not see abs. To see abs lose fat, that simple.

diesel_dan
10-09-2008, 04:56 PM
You can do all the crunches in the world and not see abs. To see abs lose fat, that simple.

Whilst this is true, my abs are clearly underdeveloped (result of no direct ab work). It wouldn't be worth cutting down to 6-8% body fat before I can see them compared to developing them and only having to cut down to say 10-12%.

Nosaj
10-10-2008, 04:08 AM
This site pisses me off sometimes, some people posting some horrible advice on a regular basis. I think it has to do mostly with the ignorant powerlifting mentality a lot have adopted since sponsorship has went in that direction. Nothing against powerlifting, but don't give bodybuilding advice unless you've been in that boat before, i.e. have great abs, or at least used too.

/end rant

To the OP: You look good man, cut seems to have done you well. Abs are just around the corner, seriously. Squats, deadlifts, etc. (read: heavy compound movements) are great for mass building, but it seems you're looking for separation and striations in your abs, so you're going to have to train differently. Having done no direct ab work previously, you should respond nicely to a change of pace and incorporate some heavy ab exercises 2-3x a week. Depending on if you decide to cut/bulk (seems like you're leaning towards a bulk) you'll either force some ab muscle growth, or at least maintain what you do have (if not build a bit) while you reduce bf%. All that being said, abs are built in the kitchen. If you were lower bf%, you'd have abs.

If I were you, I'd eat a maintenance for a bit, change the routine up a bit to include 9-12 sets of weighted abs 2-3x a week (maximum). See how your body responds to the change of pace, and then decide if you want to cut or bulk. I personally think since abs are your goal, and you're relatively lean, a brief cut would get you nice and motivated once you finally reach your goal of being lean and shredded, and then just slow bulk so you never really lose your abs too much.

The only people who ever really need to lose their abs are powerlifters, there is no reason you can't cut down, stay lean, and then slow bulk while maintaining at least a hint of your abs while you bulk. Putting on too much fat just makes for extra bf% reduction at the end of your bulks, wasted time imo. I'd say cut to 8%, maintain for a month, then bulk to no higher than 13-14%. Rinse, repeat. Perfect for bodybuilding, you'll gain mass overtime and feel pretty good with a shirt off even at your highest bf% (even 14% has a shadow of abs). Just my opinion, good luck.

Oh, and for reference, I'd say you're hovering in the 15-16% bf range right now.

diesel_dan
10-11-2008, 12:12 AM
Nosaj thanks for stepping in on this and posting. I like your idea of cutting down and maintaining for a week before a slow bulk etc. I agree with everything in your post as well.

Oh and I just did a skinfold caliper test, I am indeed sitting at about 16% bf.

Thanks again man.

foodist
10-11-2008, 02:09 AM
The only people who ever really need to lose their abs are powerlifters, there is no reason you can't cut down, stay lean, and then slow bulk while maintaining at least a hint of your abs while you bulk. Putting on too much fat just makes for extra bf% reduction at the end of your bulks, wasted time imo. I'd say cut to 8%, maintain for a month, then bulk to no higher than 13-14%. Rinse, repeat. Perfect for bodybuilding, you'll gain mass overtime and feel pretty good with a shirt off even at your highest bf% (even 14% has a shadow of abs). Just my opinion, good luck.

^^ I agree with him. I re-read my post and realized that it didnt really help you any to say what i did. But basically- yes, hit your abs directly and i'm sure you'll see a change. And i absolutely agree with the slow bulking + persistently clean eating. I don't want to give the impression that i was advocating dirty bulking or something. I didn't mean to say that. But what i did mean to say is that in the grand scheme of things abs are really just for show, and not that important strength wise (thus not that important in my mind). Anyway, Just keep lifting heavy and eating clean, add in the ab work and you'll see some progress i'm sure.

jAy_Dub
10-11-2008, 02:07 PM
This site pisses me off sometimes, some people posting some horrible advice on a regular basis. I think it has to do mostly with the ignorant powerlifting mentality a lot have adopted since sponsorship has went in that direction. Nothing against powerlifting, but don't give bodybuilding advice unless you've been in that boat before, i.e. have great abs, or at least used too.

/end rant

Amen to that bro. Its sad, because it gets worse everyday it seems.