PDA

View Full Version : Keto Diet for Cutting.

cunniff1981
10-07-2008, 08:02 PM
I know in this powerlifting game it's gain more weight that the normal response, but I feel that I can compete better in the 90kg class. SO I need to loose about 4-5kgs. I am thinking of doing a keto diet for a month or so, has anyone done a keto diet??

If so, what was your experiance?? Loose muscle or strength?? Or gain strength???

boomersooner
10-10-2008, 09:28 PM
you're going to lose alittle bit of strength and you're going to be exhausted. you're only depleting glycogen stores though, so you will not keep off all of what you get rid of.

i'd recommend decreasing your calorie intake by 300-500 and walking on a treadmill for 40 minutes 3 or 4 times a week.

if you do that, you should be able to get 5 or more pounds off in 2 weeks.

jimmachak
10-13-2008, 07:59 PM
Bro I don't advise a strict keto diet. You can manipulate your carbs, especially your preworkout carbs, so that you have enough energy to train and still lose the weight you need. Going on a keto diet, a serious keto diet, is a whole other world altogether. PM me bro if you want specifics.

Captain_Crunch
10-14-2008, 03:14 PM
I used a carb cycling diet from Shelby Starnes which worked great. Lost 9 lbs in first two weeks. Pretty easy to follow as well.

cunniff1981
10-14-2008, 07:05 PM
I am doing the full keto for a month to loose as much weight as possible. Would like to sit about 86kg buy the end of it. Will be working hard to keep all of my strength, then going into carb cycling after for gaining after. Thanks for your replies.

essentialherb08
10-15-2008, 12:27 AM
Do it up ketosis works . Staying strict and doing cardio only enhances teh loosing fat part. And eat good fats too they'll help plenty as well.

Kastro
10-15-2008, 01:51 AM
Keto works, period.

boomersooner
10-16-2008, 08:01 PM
keto is depleting your glycogen stores

you're going to be very disappointed when you gain all the weight back that you "lost". i gurantee it

doing a keto diet for any time less than about a month to a month and a half is a waste of time. it takes a long time for ketosis to take effect.

essentialherb08
10-17-2008, 12:38 AM
...Ketosis is using ketones (fat) as your bodies main source of fuel, not depleting your glycogen stores. While it does deplete them somewhat its only for a couple of weeks if any, your body just makes glucose from the protein you are eating.
A month is a little short but if you do good cardio then you'll lose an all right amount of fat and weight. I'd do it for a bit longer if I were you unless you got a competition or something coming up.

It does not take long for you to go into ketosis. Once your body uses up its normal amount of glycogen stores then ketosis kicks in. The more anaerobic exercise you do the quicker your body uses up the glycogen but it recognizes that carbohydrates arnt on the menu anymore so it uses the next avaliable fuel source being body fat dietary fat dietary protein and muscle tissue, but providing that your protein levels are up your body wont break down muscle tissue. You'll know if you start getting significantly weaker. Iv'e been eating low no carb for the past couple of months and my strength and muscle are building up quite nice.... That said if you want to make sure your in ketosis buy some Ketostix at Walgreens piss on them and they'll let you know.

cunniff1981
10-19-2008, 11:51 PM
First week is over on keto.
Lost 4.2kg (I know that 1.5 or 2kg is water weight) so more like 2.2kg of fat.
My strength has not gone down at all. So far I feel that I have continued the way I was training before. So far I am really liking the diet.

To be honest not that bothered if I loose a little muscle just as long as my strength stays up there.

Not eating carb is hard work though. There is sugar in almost everthing, you really have to read all the labels. But it going well and I feel that I can keep this going for a while. Not going to carb up till the fourth week though so I can get my best results. Then depending on the weight loss may up the calories and try building some muscle with it. Supposed to be lots slower but lots leaner so will try that.

Cheers for the responses.

viperc8
10-20-2008, 07:00 AM
can you guys post your ketosis diets so I can see how you guys are doing it..

DTF
10-20-2008, 08:35 AM
I love keto but do the phaze 2 kind so about 80-90 carbs a day plus a cheat meal once a week starting 14 days in.

markdk86
10-20-2008, 01:07 PM
you're going to lose alittle bit of strength and you're going to be exhausted. you're only depleting glycogen stores though, so you will not keep off all of what you get rid of.

i'd recommend decreasing your calorie intake by 300-500 and walking on a treadmill for 40 minutes 3 or 4 times a week.

if you do that, you should be able to get 5 or more pounds off in 2 weeks.

Uhh, huh, no....

markdk86
10-20-2008, 01:10 PM
...Ketosis is using ketones (fat) as your bodies main source of fuel, not depleting your glycogen stores. While it does deplete them somewhat its only for a couple of weeks if any, your body just makes glucose from the protein you are eating.
A month is a little short but if you do good cardio then you'll lose an all right amount of fat and weight. I'd do it for a bit longer if I were you unless you got a competition or something coming up.

It does not take long for you to go into ketosis. Once your body uses up its normal amount of glycogen stores then ketosis kicks in. The more anaerobic exercise you do the quicker your body uses up the glycogen but it recognizes that carbohydrates arnt on the menu anymore so it uses the next avaliable fuel source being body fat dietary fat dietary protein and muscle tissue, but providing that your protein levels are up your body wont break down muscle tissue. You'll know if you start getting significantly weaker. Iv'e been eating low no carb for the past couple of months and my strength and muscle are building up quite nice.... That said if you want to make sure your in ketosis buy some Ketostix at Walgreens piss on them and they'll let you know.

<3. 3-4 days is average to develop a state of ketogenisis. Faster if you go with some glycogen depleting workouts in the first initial days. The theory is wonderful, just I get cranky as **** without carbs.