PDA

View Full Version : Do you get anything out of a belt?

Invain
10-07-2008, 09:57 PM
I've been curious about this for a while because I feel like I'm pretty much one of the only people I know that doesn't train with a belt in deads and squats.

Besides the safety factor, what do you guys really get out of a belt, in general? The very few times I've pulled or squatted heavy with a belt I felt like I was getting nothing out of it. Does anybody else experience no gain when wearing a belt? Could it not be tight enough? I tried max effort deads with a belt a few weeks ago and got literally 0 pounds out of it, if anything it made the lift a teeny bit harder because I'm not used to the pressure from the belt, sounds funny I know but it just felt off to me.

Reko
10-07-2008, 10:27 PM
It takes getting used to. I didn't at first but then I started figuring out how to use it and am slowly getting it tighter and getting more out of it. But I do get a noticeable amount yes.
Not hard like a suit or shirt to figure out but it wasn't instant for me anyways.

NASAKYCHAIRMAN
10-08-2008, 06:15 AM
Great back support and hold the bp shirt in place.

smokinHawk
10-08-2008, 06:38 AM
what type of belt do you have?
i have a "golds gym" belt, that pretty much does nothing, maybe supports just a tad, i use that on my warm up sets.
then i have an inzer 10mm lever belt that rocks, you defiantly feel the support, and helps keep your back upright and from rounding, also i can use it to push my abs against the belt.

johnnyo_99
10-08-2008, 08:32 AM
I believe the bigger your gut the more effective a belt becomes too, your able to push against it with a full breath of air which provides more support. I've always found the belt to be more intrusive with deadlifts, when worn tight enough I think a belt is very beneficial for squats.

deeder
10-08-2008, 08:40 AM
I can't put a number on it, but yes, I feel much stronger in a belt. For example, if I do 315lb squat raw then do it in a belt, the belted squat will be much faster out of the hole.

Blackhawk08
10-08-2008, 08:44 AM
I dont get anything out of belts, I just use em for support on deads.

RedSpikeyThing
10-08-2008, 09:04 AM
I get stability out of it. A 350 squat with a belt feels lighter than a 315 squat without one. I know it helps for deads but I don't think I could describe why.

I can't put a number on it, but yes, I feel much stronger in a belt. For example, if I do 315lb squat raw then do it in a belt, the belted squat will be much faster out of the hole.

yeah same here.

sayagain
10-08-2008, 09:32 AM
I definitely feel stronger on squats with a belt. You have to really push your gut into it. I don't feel like I get much on deads though.

BFGUITAR
10-08-2008, 12:03 PM
I just feel more secure with a belt. Really a belt won't make you stronger than you are but it will help you push yourself as much as you can.

Detard
10-08-2008, 12:08 PM

Agreed. I find it especially with rep sets. If I have a belt on it wont take as much out of me as if I did it raw, thus saving all my strength for singles, doubles and triples.

Lones Green
10-08-2008, 12:13 PM
Agreed. I find it especially with rep sets. If I have a belt on it wont take as much out of me as if I did it raw, thus saving all my strength for singles, doubles and triples.

i agree.

BigTallOx
10-08-2008, 03:22 PM
i have a "golds gym" belt, that pretty much does nothing (snip)
then i have an inzer 10mm lever belt that rocks(snip)

Yup. I love my 10mm lever belt. Especially for squats, taking a deep breath and pushing my gut against the belt makes heavy squats MUCH easier for me, ( but I typically only wear my belt when I squat max singles or doubles ) For deads, I'm not sure if I really get any more weight out of it, but I feel much more tight/secure.

Invain
10-08-2008, 04:43 PM
Thanks for the responses so far. Next time I use a belt I'll try to get it as tight as possible and push my gut into it.

jbrin0tk
10-08-2008, 05:02 PM
I agree with most. I have an Inzer 13mm lever belt and, like smokinhawk said, it rocks. I definitely feel more supported and stronger with it on. Coming out of the hole with it is alot easier than without it. The only bad thing is that, like others have said, it's hard to get to the bar with deadlifts. I'm getting used to it, but I've always pulled with no belt. With squats it's very tight and I like it that way, but it sucks not being able to adjust it without a screwdriver. That's its only drawback. Of course, if you get a belt with the prongs then that is not an issue.

MPB
10-08-2008, 05:57 PM
I like to squat all the way down as low as possible, and it helps my back from rounding so I use it. I don't use it for deads, it just gets in the way for me. It just feels like I'm gonna tear my groin off and it's impossible to breathe in before I pull.

joey54
10-08-2008, 06:50 PM
As mentioned, the belt makes weight I can use without one feel easier. I read before that the key to getting the most out of the belt when squatting and deadlifting is not to make it as tight as possible, but rather have it fit "snug". this allows for the abs to push against the belt effectively, like some others have mentioned above. I find it hard to get into deadlift position with the belt on, I have the Inzer belt like the others mentioned, but do feel it certainly helps.

Ben Moore
10-08-2008, 08:50 PM
I can easily get 50-75lbs out of a belt. APT has a new 13mm belt that is very solid if anyone is looking for an affordable option.

WillNoble
10-08-2008, 09:34 PM
I can easily get 50-75lbs out of a belt. APT has a new 13mm belt that is very solid if anyone is looking for an affordable option.

An epic belt for sure

not even a sponsored athlete and I'll recommend it over all others

Fuzzy
10-08-2008, 10:09 PM
I never use belts in any lift.... just feels wrong.

LocAss24
10-09-2008, 09:43 AM
I believe the bigger your gut the more effective a belt becomes too, your able to push against it with a full breath of air which provides more support. I've always found the belt to be more intrusive with deadlifts, when worn tight enough I think a belt is very beneficial for squats.
Definitely helps when squatting, thanks for showing me Jon :hello:.

Eric Downey
10-09-2008, 09:59 AM
I like having something to push against