PDA

View Full Version : Coldasice's Workout..Critique

Coldasice
10-07-2008, 10:48 PM
Hey..I've been using the same workout for quite a while and it has helped my size really well, although my strength hasn't been going anywhere..so I'm thinking I need to switch up the routine..

To give you an idea, here's what my routine looks like:

Monday- Legs (and abs)
-5 sets of squats X 5 reps
-4 sets leg press X 9~10 reps
-calf raises

Tuesday- Tris and Back**
Tris- 3X10 reps skull crushers
2X10 Cable pulldowns
2X10 Triangle Push-ups

Back-3X8 Pullups
3X10 Bent over Barbell rows
3X10 seated rows

WED- OFF

Thursday- Lower Back and Abs
-5X5 Deadlifts
-4X10 Back raises...I'm not sure what it's called lol

Friday- Bi's and Chest and Abs
Bis- 3X8 barbell curls
2X10 dumbell curls
2X10 reverse barbell curls

Chest- 5X5 Flat bench
-Incline dumbell press (2X8)
-Dips 2X10
-or Flat dumbell press..etc

**I used to do Chest before bi's and Back before tri's, but my arms are lagging so I made them a priority until they catch up.

Does anyone have any suggestions for how I could switch this up or alter it..?

Thanks

Coldasice
10-08-2008, 09:08 AM
Anything?

40 Nunc
10-08-2008, 10:23 AM
Rippetoes Starting Strength...

Coldasice
10-09-2008, 06:51 PM
Any other suggestions or critiques?

Nosaj
10-10-2008, 04:26 AM
I'd say deadlifts/shrugs are lacking intensity or weight. You've made some great gains, but back is weak compared to chest, which looks great. You've learned out in comparison pics, which is great too. I'd suggest trying some rack pulls, helped me a ton in throwing some mass on my back during my last bulk (fun throwing lots of weight around too!). I know you said you do a leg day and 5x5 deadlifts, but honestly, it doesn't look like it. The legs look good, but for them having energy priority on Monday, and then doing deadlifts in addition later in the week, something isin't adding up. Make sure you're upping intensity (weight, reps, etc) each week, keeping form solid, etc. etc. etc. It just seems like lats/delts are lagging, and legs could be brought up too. This is constructive criticism though, you look great and you've been training your ass off, that's clear. Keep up the great progress.

Coldasice
10-10-2008, 09:05 AM
I know thats the problem Im having with my routine..I'm trying to up the intensity and throw on some more weight each time but I can't (I'm finding this with my squats...altho yesterday went into the gym and added on another 30lbs to my DL for 4 reps!)...but with almost everything else in my routine I can't seem to up the weight (bench, barbell rows, etc).

Nosaj
10-11-2008, 01:27 PM
I know thats the problem Im having with my routine..I'm trying to up the intensity and throw on some more weight each time but I can't (I'm finding this with my squats...altho yesterday went into the gym and added on another 30lbs to my DL for 4 reps!)...but with almost everything else in my routine I can't seem to up the weight (bench, barbell rows, etc).

Switch exercises completely, then come back to the ones you've been doing lately. (i.e. try some isolation movements out instead of compound movements, etc.) Also, have you taken a break lately? Every couple months its good to take a week or two to just recover completely, rest does a body good.