PDA

View Full Version : Sumo deadlifts

BFGUITAR
10-09-2008, 08:27 AM
I remember people mentioning here that if a person were to squat wide, that it is very important to wear something like briefs or a suit for hip support. Do you guys feel the same is needed for sumo deads?

EDIT:

Lets just say they aren't needed... I am planning on competing. Do most feds allow briefs anyways (Keep in mind I live in Canada and will compete in Canadian feds)?

As well, is there a difference between deadlift briefs and squat briefs or are they the same thing?

Cricket_Fire
10-09-2008, 09:02 AM
When I went down to Westside a couple months ago, Louie told me to wear my squat suit bottoms whenever doing sumo pulls

SGT ROCK
10-09-2008, 02:32 PM
DL briefs and squat briefs are the same thing. Most feds allow legless briefs, some allow briefs with legs like Predators. I feel all off season pulls should be raw. Pre contest add in briefs and then your suit.

Semper Fi

BFGUITAR
10-09-2008, 02:39 PM
Thanks!

For squats woudl you recommend I wear briefs all the time? I assume if a squat suit is allowed they would allow briefs?

deeder
10-09-2008, 02:51 PM
If you're planning on doing an IPF competition (CPU in Canada) then you can't wear briefs, and it's only single ply gear. If you're going to wear a suit straps down for all your squats/deadlifts (which there is nothing wrong with) then I'd recommend buying one a couple sizes too big. That way, you get a little bit of support/compression, but you're not always getting 100lbs out of gear :p

BFGUITAR
10-09-2008, 03:01 PM
Ok, sinlge ply gear. What are some brands your recommend?

I want to learn to squat wide so I guess singly ply gear would be something I should use? Would I use them all the time during training?

And how does buying a suit a little big help exactly? Would I not be able to use straps at all? (sorry for all the questions I've spent my time learning about lifting technique and not gear, yet)

deeder
10-09-2008, 03:09 PM
Ok, sinlge ply gear. What are some brands your recommend?

I want to learn to squat wide so I guess singly ply gear would be something I should use? Would I use them all the time during training?

And how does buying a suit a little big help exactly? Would I not be able to use straps at all? (sorry for all the questions I've spent my time learning about lifting technique and not gear, yet)

I've only ever worn Metal powerlifting gear. So I can't really comment on the other brands. I really like the new Metal King line but it's probably not the greatest for a beginner (with gear, that is), either the Viking or the regular material would be a good place to start.

The only reason I recommend buying a training suit a little bigger is because you don't need a tight suit to keep your hips healthy. For me anyways, the only reason to train in a loose suit all the time is to keep the hips healthy. Training in a tight suit is great, because you get to use more weight, but I don't see any reason for it.

I've been wearing a deadlift suit 2 sizes too big for me that I get maybe 20lbs out of. I get over 100lbs out of my King Sumo deadlifter that I wear for competition.

BFGUITAR
10-09-2008, 03:42 PM
Interesting thanks!

Also if it's a bit big that allows some growing room :D
But again back to my first question. Do I need briefs for sumo deads? (so I don't mess up my hips)

SGT ROCK
10-09-2008, 03:54 PM
Single ply briefs, Inzer has groove briefs. Unless you are entering an IPF or raw meet, the fed probably allows briefs. Do NOT use briefs on every squat session. Don't become gear reliant as a beginner.

Semper Fi

Sean S
10-09-2008, 03:55 PM
Yes, I would were some kind of brief or a suit with the straps down for heavy sumo pulling. I always wear something for anything other than very light sumo pulls. Whether you go with single ply or double ply or briefs vs. a suit really depends on your goals and future competition.
The Metal pro briefs are relatively easy to use and could be used for wide stance squatting as well. If you plan on competing in a single-ply meet, you could go with one of the Metal V-type suits. The original Metal single-ply material provides some support, but it stretches out and molds to your body pretty well. The viking and king materials are stiffer, but would provide more carryover.

Lones Green
10-09-2008, 03:55 PM
you can pull raw sumo, yes.

briefs would not be a bad idea.

BFGUITAR
10-09-2008, 04:11 PM
Well are there Canadian feds that allow briefs and no suit and vice versa? Why get briefs for hip support if I can get a suit and use it with the straps down?

Reko
10-09-2008, 04:21 PM
There are probably some that allow both.

I wear briefs for all wide squatting. All. Don't regret it a bit.
I do pull conventional however, and don't find the briefs to help out at all so I just pull raw.

deeder
10-09-2008, 04:36 PM
Well are there Canadian feds that allow briefs and no suit and vice versa? Why get briefs for hip support if I can get a suit and use it with the straps down?

From what I've heard the CPO (Canadian Powerlifting Organization) is pretty big here too. AFAIK, they are non-drug tested, double ply gear. I believe they allow briefs and a suit. Don't quote me on it though, I haven't done that much looking... My goals are within the IPF.

BFGUITAR
10-10-2008, 01:34 PM
From what I've heard the CPO (Canadian Powerlifting Organization) is pretty big here too. AFAIK, they are non-drug tested, double ply gear. I believe they allow briefs and a suit. Don't quote me on it though, I haven't done that much looking... My goals are within the IPF.

What is the main difference between the two? Is the IPF more popular?

SELK
10-10-2008, 02:00 PM
in canada there are 3 main federations.

CPO - which is affiliated with the WPC
they are double ply, open back bench shirts, breifs allowd, monolift.

IPA - which is affiliated with the GPC
same rules as CPO, just have to wear a closed back bench shirt.

CPU - affiliated with IPF.
singly ply gear, walked out squats, drug tested.

IPA has meets i think just in calgary, CPO is in montreal and toronto i think. CPU has them in a few different cities.

BFGUITAR
10-10-2008, 06:48 PM
Thanks! I live in Toronto, so I assume CPO is the way to go for me? I have never used a monolift... I have no idea how to approach it. That means I would have to buy double ply squat suit (What does double ply mean as opposed to single?), an open back bench shirt, and briefs for deadlifts? Or could I just used the double ply suit with straps down?

Personally CPU seems more for me. It seems to be the least geared. I don't think I want to use a bench shirt (at least not often). Plus I walk out all my squats.

Ok, I looked at CPU and couldn't find anything Toronto specific, but a few of the meets were within a 2-3 hour drive, and one in the city I go to school in lol. I did find the Ontario Powerlifting Association which has a lot of information. I never knew getting started in the sport was so complicated :confused:.

SELK
10-10-2008, 10:04 PM
double ply just means 2 layers of material rather then one, typically it will add a few more lbs to your lifts then the singleply and last a bit longer.

You dont have to use double ply in the CPO if you dont want, you can be raw, singleply, whatever. I wouldn't worry about the monolift, my first meet used one and i figured it out in a few minutes. Walkouts for the big squatters just become sort of dangerous.

For your first meet, just do something close to you to get your feet wet kind of thing - i dont think ive ever met someone who just does one meet, its to much fun. dont worry to much about gear.

If a CPU meet is closer, do it. Read the rules online or whatever before you go to make sure that you are performing the lifts how they want them done.

BFGUITAR
10-11-2008, 11:44 AM
Already read them, doesn't seem too bad :)

You squat 800 lbs, that's what I would consider big squatting lol

Another question... is a loose fitting squat suit still suppose to be tight just not "I want to die" tight?

SELK
10-11-2008, 01:31 PM
thanks!

A squat suit should be fairly tight in my opinion. Should be at least - snug. If you can hit depth with 135lbs on the bar your gear is probally to loose. For your first suit you dont need something that is all that powerful or tight, just something to learn in.

i dont know if i should talk, my first suit was a metal pro squatter 1 size to big. I loved it, but it would only be legal in ipa/cpo here in canada.

Captain_Crunch
10-11-2008, 01:58 PM
Your best bet in Canada if you want to have fun at a meet and avoid alot of politics is to go with one of the multi ply feds ounce you get a few meets under your belt.

Detard
10-11-2008, 02:09 PM
Ryan, I did an OPA meet with Sean back in June. Check out www.ontariopowerlifting.org for meet info. I may be heading to buffalo for an SSA meet (google syndicated strength alliance). Your welcome to come. Shoot me a message on MSN or PM

Cricket_Fire
10-11-2008, 03:13 PM
I agree with Captain Crunch tbh. I did a CPO meet in Toronto this May and it was great fun; learned a lot aswell