PDA

View Full Version : McDonald's and Health

RhodeHouse
10-10-2008, 02:17 PM
Well, AGAIN, I just received a clean bill of health from my doctor. AGAIN! Despite eating McDonald's and weighing in excess of 300lbs, I am healthy as a horse. How could this be? So many on here tell all of us how bad McDonald's is for you.

Please explain to all of us how I can have a BP of 120/78 and a resting heart rate of 67 BPM at 318lbs? Is it possible that exercise is the driving force in the health of our bodies? Not diet? Again, I've proven, in real life, that one can eat McDonald's whenever they please, and still be healthy.

Now, i know there are a few of you that will come back saying that blood work and BP are justtests at that point in time, of how healthy we are. So, I must be really good at being healthy at the right time. I must have mind control over my body to tell it that I have to be healthy, NOW?

So, in celebration of my clean bill of health, I went to the Golden Arches and had 4 cheeseburgers and a large shake. I would've gotten more, but I was driving.

Moral of this very important, groundbreaking study, eat McDonald's, train hard, and you'll be fine.

ehubbard
10-10-2008, 02:41 PM
A celebration with no naked ladies?

El Destructo
10-10-2008, 03:03 PM
I have known chain smokers who have lived long lives also, ...just not many of them.

hellagrant
10-10-2008, 03:13 PM
Man I totally agree with you. As long as you excercise enough, McDonalds is perfectly fine. Its got tons of fat but it can provide pretty much everything your body needs (protein, carbs, etc).

I started a post about 3 weeks ago about overweight people eating McDonalds. The finger was being pointed at the fat people not McDonalds. If someone is fat and lazy, then they should never eat McDonalds. But for those of us who workout, it is fine.

Shouji
10-10-2008, 03:17 PM
Someone should seriously consider making a mockumentary to "Super-size me" and show these fools that Micky D's is actually OK, so long as you take care of yourself.

johnnyo_99
10-10-2008, 03:23 PM
Someone should seriously consider making a mockumentary to "Super-size me" and show these fools that Micky D's is actually OK, so long as you take care of yourself.

excellent idea

Lones Green
10-10-2008, 03:34 PM

if i am not mistaken, this has already been done.

the guy ate mcdonalds, just below his maintenence calories, and lost weight.

hellagrant
10-10-2008, 03:34 PM

That is an awesome idea. I remember that documentary quite well. Typical American, liberal, hippy bull****, blame others for your own problem. America's problem is that it is filled with fat lazy people who watch too much TV and sit all day long.

JasonLift
10-10-2008, 04:42 PM
You cannot go from never eating mcdonalds then eating it for every meal for a month. No tolerance. It'd be like never drinking then drinking vodka everyday for a month.

All my stats have always looked great and the people at Taco bell know me on first name basis.

BFGUITAR
10-10-2008, 05:37 PM
How often is when ever you please? I too eat McDonalds when ever I want. I just don't want it often.

vdizenzo
10-10-2008, 05:56 PM
Long live Mayor Rhodes.

Chris Rodgers
10-10-2008, 05:56 PM
How often is when ever you please? I too eat McDonalds when ever I want. I just don't want it often.

Not sure about Rhodes, but I had an Angus value meal for lunch the past two days. I definitely get the I know you, hey how are you today, when I am in the drive thru. I maintain a fairly lean 170 lbs like this.

RhodeHouse
10-10-2008, 06:22 PM

Sometimes 1x per week, sometimes 2x a day. Whenever I please. If I had to guess, probably 8-10x a month.

Try the Double QPC with Big Mac sauce on it. YAY!

It's just not that bad for you.

BFGUITAR
10-10-2008, 06:37 PM
8-10 times a month really isnt a lot lol. I would assume one meal at McDonalds would be a double bigmac combo

Even if it were a not more than that, considering how many calories you need a day to live your body would probably eat right through it. I don't see anything unhealthy about that at all.

RhodeHouse
10-10-2008, 07:25 PM
8-10 times a month really isnt a lot lol. I would assume one meal at McDonalds would be a double bigmac combo

Even if it were a not more than that, considering how many calories you need a day to live your body would probably eat right through it. I don't see anything unhealthy about that at all.

There's nothing unhealthy about McDonald's at all. Now, we've disagreed on just about everything. The whole McDonald's is good/bad for you thing is old and tired. I'm doing my best, as per request of Travis, to be nice, so this is hard for me. The simple fact of the matter is, it's not bad for you if you exercise properly and take care of yourself.

In fact, starting tomorrow, I'm going to count how many times I eat McDonald's.

So, let's not turn this into the typical thread. Skinny guys say McDonald's is bad. Jacked strong guys say it's fine. Us big, strong, jacked guys will continue to grow and get stronger. You skinny guys... do whatever your hearts desire. I'm just psyched that I'm healthy eventhough I eat the Devil's food. And, don't try to agree with me. We've argued about this countless times. Backpedalling is not ok and I don't want to see you do it. It's embarrassing. Stick to your guns.

RhodeHouse
10-10-2008, 07:29 PM
A celebration with no naked ladies?

Damn! I knew I forgot something. Your way would've been so much better. Where were you when I was in need of that idea? Nice job. Way to let me down. Hope you're happy with yourself.

BFGUITAR
10-10-2008, 08:01 PM
I'm not trying to agree with you, I am. I have said over and over that McDonald's in moderation is fine... your obviously living healthy proof of that.

lol all ive said is eating McDonalds 10 times a month isn't unhealthy... I haven't disagreed with you. Your not eating McDonald's for breakfast lunch and dinner and possibly for a midnight snack. If you did and had a clean bill of health I would be very surprised but the fact that you only eat McDonalds 10 times a month (which isn't often at all) and you have a clean bill of health means what you are doing works. Anyone and everyone could benefit from eating McDonalds that often as long as they exercise properly like you have shown.

I don't think you eat McDonald's often enough to prove that it's healthy no matter what (which can be done if you ate McDonald's all the time for months and months while exercising the same way). You have proven that eating McDonalds 10 times a month has no apparent negative health effects, which I completely agree with even if there was no proof. Everything in moderation, and you have proven that.

I can also be psyched about consuming something bad and living to tell the tale... give me a drop of diluted hydrochloric acid that ill mix in with my gallon of water... woo I drank hydrochloric acid and lived to tell the tale...

If your preaching to everyone here to eat McDonalds 10 times a month I have no idea why anyone would argue.

RhodeHouse
10-10-2008, 09:50 PM
I'm not trying to agree with you, I am. I have said over and over that McDonald's in moderation is fine... your obviously living healthy proof of that.

lol all ive said is eating McDonalds 10 times a month isn't unhealthy... I haven't disagreed with you. Your not eating McDonald's for breakfast lunch and dinner and possibly for a midnight snack. If you did and had a clean bill of health I would be very surprised but the fact that you only eat McDonalds 10 times a month (which isn't often at all) and you have a clean bill of health means what you are doing works. Anyone and everyone could benefit from eating McDonalds that often as long as they exercise properly like you have shown.

I don't think you eat McDonald's often enough to prove that it's healthy no matter what (which can be done if you ate McDonald's all the time for months and months while exercising the same way). You have proven that eating McDonalds 10 times a month has no apparent negative health effects, which I completely agree with even if there was no proof. Everything in moderation, and you have proven that.

I can also be psyched about consuming something bad and living to tell the tale... give me a drop of diluted hydrochloric acid that ill mix in with my gallon of water... woo I drank hydrochloric acid and lived to tell the tale...

If your preaching to everyone here to eat McDonalds 10 times a month I have no idea why anyone would argue.

How's life up there on your pedestal? Honestly, the best thing for you is to not read my posts. You always pull this same, holier than thou, backpedalling, BS.

You prove that you enjoy causing trouble because, well, I can't say what I really think for fear of offending someone. Suffice it to say, you clearly want to start some sort of argument about this, depending on which side you decide to take. It just hit me. You're a Liberal. Can't stick with one decision. Gotta flip flop back and forth. understood. I understand your problem.

Travis Bell
10-10-2008, 10:10 PM
I freaking love McDonalds. I'll usually go for the double cheeseburgers because they are cheap and I can get 4 or 5 of them. Biggest mistake I made was applying that same principle to the grand ol' cheesy gordita crunch from Taco Smell. That one had me hurtin for a few hours

chris mason
10-10-2008, 10:55 PM
Had a Big Mac and fries for lunch today! :)

Rhodes, the truth is that heredity has more to do with generalized health than anything. You can tweak the variables, but heredity is what allows people to smoke daily and live to be 100, or guys like you to weight 300+ lbs and eat like crap and still have low BP while others are lean and follow a "perfect" diet yet have hypertension (as just one example).

BFGUITAR
10-11-2008, 12:02 AM
My decision has been the same this whole time. If you don't believe me look at all my posts and they have been consistent. My decision isn't simply a yes or no because believe it or not life is more complicated than that. Yes, in life there are more answers than yes and no, it may be a shock to you but bare with me. You see, there are things in life that have the possibility of hurting someone or making them sick but only under certain circumstances. For example, if you drink too much alcohol you will die, very simple. So if someone asked you "is alcohol bad?" would you say yes or no? By saying no, you imply that the possibilities of harming yourself by consuming alcohol is nearly zero. If you say yes, it means that there is no safe amount of alcohol to consume. The answer is obvious, no alcohol is not bad, BUT this only applies if it is taken in moderation. Moderation means not enough to kill yourself or cause ridiculous body damage.

Is McDonald's unhealthy? No, but only in moderation. As you have shown moderation can mean 10 times a month. Does that prove eating McDonald's every day, day in day out is? It's a different question. You don't see that I am agreeing with you?

And if I were American no way in hell would I vote for Obama. Yeh... lets get 30% of all our energy from wind... yeh right. Looks like someone's advisers failed physics...

WildJames
10-11-2008, 04:21 AM
I consider McDonalds food to be disgusting and of poor quality, that's why I choose not to eat it. Plus I've worked in plenty of those places to know how little sanitation efforts are usually made in fast food restaurants. Just not my cup of tea. I cook my own food.

joey54
10-11-2008, 06:32 AM
Loaded Steakhouse Burger from Burger King. It has freaking mashed potatoes on it!!!!!

essentialherb08
10-11-2008, 11:30 AM
There's nothing unhealthy about McDonald's at all.
Try eating McDonald's every meal every day and keep training then see if nothing goes wrong...

cphafner
10-11-2008, 04:58 PM
Had a Big Mac and fries for lunch today! :)

Rhodes, the truth is that heredity has more to do with generalized health than anything. You can tweak the variables, but heredity is what allows people to smoke daily and live to be 100, or guys like you to weight 300+ lbs and eat like crap and still have low BP while others are lean and follow a "perfect" diet yet have hypertension (as just one example).

I had a quarter pounder w/cheese and fries. Delic

Gable
10-11-2008, 05:07 PM
I freaking love McDonalds. I'll usually go for the double cheeseburgers because they are cheap and I can get 4 or 5 of them. Biggest mistake I made was applying that same principle to the grand ol' cheesy gordita crunch from Taco Smell. That one had me hurtin for a few hours

I'm with you on that one.. I like to get 4 double cheesers from the lovely arches about once a week, if I can..

Taco Bell is ok sometimes.. dont eat it before a squat session.. Taco Bell on the way up aint near as good as it is on the way down.. I wont make that mistake again.. :D

cphafner
10-11-2008, 05:46 PM

We get screwed here in NYC. Double cheeseburgers are never on the value menu. The value menu at the Wendy's by my office starts at $1.39. The new double stacker is $1.99. Cost of living here is just too damn high. I miss Jack in the Box for good cheap burgers.

Travis Bell
10-11-2008, 09:55 PM
Taco Bell on the way up aint near as good as it is on the way down.. I wont make that mistake again.. :D

You ain't kidding. I love that stuff, but it seriously delt my digestive system a blow that I'm not likely to forget

We get screwed here in NYC. Double cheeseburgers are never on the value menu. The value menu at the Wendy's by my office starts at $1.39. The new double stacker is $1.99. Cost of living here is just too damn high. I miss Jack in the Box for good cheap burgers.

Man thats a bummer! Not much of a value if they don't even include the double cheeseburger.

You should come to Ohio. The heart of it all :)

Ben Moore
10-11-2008, 09:58 PM
Speaking of the 'Bell - Will turned me on to the Triple Steak Burritos - those things are gold.

Gable
10-11-2008, 10:03 PM
Speaking of the 'Bell - Will turned me on to the Triple Steak Burritos - those things are gold.

I've seen these mentioned at great lenghts lately..

I need to try them... soon.

JasonLift
10-12-2008, 08:09 AM

When I lived in another state for awhile I was pissed the first time I got charged taxes going through a fast food drive thru. And that I couldn't buy cold beer in walmart.

cphafner
10-12-2008, 10:17 AM
You ain't kidding. I love that stuff, but it seriously delt my digestive system a blow that I'm not likely to forget

Man thats a bummer! Not much of a value if they don't even include the double cheeseburger.

Damn I miss the south. Everything was cheap as dirt. The price I pay for living in a metropolis.

anonymous1
10-12-2008, 10:34 AM
I can't believe this is a debate. McDonalds food is not healthy. It is a bunch of low quality garbage made out of the cheapest crap they can make taste good with artificial flavorings to cover it up.

That said, weight training and a diet based around good foods with McDonalds occasionally for extra calories is fine. This whole topic is very slow and "special" - edited for censorship.

McDonalds, inactivity and surplus of calories is unhealthy. Really as long as you're not storing fat the body just burns off the triglycerides before they cause clotting or related health problems.

RhodeHouse
10-12-2008, 02:56 PM
Try eating McDonald's every meal every day and keep training then see if nothing goes wrong...

Dave Tate did it for 13 years. Already been tested.

RhodeHouse
10-12-2008, 03:00 PM
I can't believe this is a debate. McDonalds food is not healthy. It is a bunch of low quality garbage made out of the cheapest crap they can make taste good with artificial flavorings to cover it up.

That said, weight training and a diet based around good foods with McDonalds occasionally for extra calories is fine. This whole topic is very slow and "special" - edited for censorship.

McDonalds, inactivity and surplus of calories is unhealthy. Really as long as you're not storing fat the body just burns off the triglycerides before they cause clotting or related health problems.

This thread was not a debate. It was me posting my findings at my doctor's appointment. Most agree that McDonald's is fine, and they are right. Those who disagree are wrong. It's that simple. No debate. The facts are out there. Nothing to discuss.

Brad08
10-12-2008, 04:42 PM
3 Bacon Egg & Cheese biscuits + 2 milks this AM for the win

RichMcGuire
10-12-2008, 06:17 PM
I agree. Eating Mcdonads in moderation (like only 10x a month) is an awsome way to rack up total kcals. While some people may need to be careful because of heredity, I like to order 4 plain cheeseburgers and add 30 olives and a tbsp of real mayo to each burger to make olive burgers. Along with this is a large fry. It gets to around 2k calories. I ate mine everyday after I lifted when I bulked. But scientifically, too much of anything IS bad for you. I mean, too much water can kill you.. but that doesnt make water bad for you.

I say eat some mcdonalds and kfc and get strong. Worry about details later.

KarstenDD
10-12-2008, 06:28 PM
Nothing to discuss.

WRONG! We need to discuss how awesome the Holy Arches are. The correct answer is very.

RhodeHouse
10-12-2008, 06:40 PM
WRONG! We need to discuss how awesome the Holy Arches are. The correct answer is very.

I stand corrected, my friend. I lovie McDonald's.

Chubrock
10-12-2008, 07:06 PM
I'm sorry Rhodes, I'm going to have to disagree with everything you've been saying. Contrary to popular belief in this thread, Wendy's $.99 Double Stackers are God's chosen food. Along with Spicy Chicken Sandwiches.

BigCorey75
10-13-2008, 06:57 AM

some guy is actually doing that now

take a peak

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8WA5wcaHp4

Gable
10-13-2008, 08:01 AM
some guy is actually doing that now

take a peak

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8WA5wcaHp4

Thanks for posting this Corey...

Brad08
10-13-2008, 09:27 AM

Sssh! Nobody tell him where whey protein comes from!

anonymous1
10-13-2008, 11:13 AM
Last I checked, it's a byproduct of milk production. The process is pretty gross, but the end product isn't. If you research the process of making anything it is nasty. I agree with the overall point Rhodes is making, if you're afraid of "bad" food, you're not going to get very far.

Travis Bell
10-13-2008, 11:44 AM
ah, I knew my steaks were made of milk!

scrawnybastard
10-13-2008, 12:54 PM
For people who lift heavy-ass weights, McDonalds is fine.
For the average American who doesn't exercise, it will get them fat (or fatter).

RhodeHouse
10-13-2008, 01:42 PM
I'm sorry Rhodes, I'm going to have to disagree with everything you've been saying. Contrary to popular belief in this thread, Wendy's $.99 Double Stackers are God's chosen food. Along with Spicy Chicken Sandwiches.

Chub, you're dumb, dude. Come on! Wendy's is just not an ok choice.

RhodeHouse
10-13-2008, 01:44 PM
For people who lift heavy-ass weights, McDonalds is fine.
For the average American who doesn't exercise, it will get them fat (or fatter).

What are you talking about? You're 121lbs.

jpw204
10-13-2008, 02:07 PM
I am not trying to disagree with anyone on here, especially Rhodes because he did just receive a clean bill of health from the doctor. But, I guess eating like this every single day all day will have an adverse effect on you regardless of whether you are training or not. Check out this article from Berardi about Dave Tate.

http://www.johnberardi.com/articles/nutrition/dave_tate_1.htm

Travis Bell
10-13-2008, 02:29 PM
Difference there is Dave got told by his doc that he was unhealthy. His Chiro even said that he needed to lose weight. Dave wasn't healthy. What this kinda goes back to show is the point that Chris made earlier. Genetics is the biggest factor. Matt weighs 320lbs and is healthier than most people. Dave on the other hand was close to 300lbs and was not. Notice also that Dave's diet wasn't ridiculously complicated and super duper healthy either. it was moderated to fit his digestive needs and what helped him lose weight.

good post though

Chubrock
10-13-2008, 02:34 PM

Taco Bell and Wendys. Embrace is bro. The golden arches just can't compete.

Brad08
10-13-2008, 03:15 PM

Whoa, wait a sec....have you not heard of the goodness that is Wendy's Baconator?? half pound of meat (probably beef), 6 slices of bacon, 2 or 3 slices of cheese, some kind of good mayo sauce....800+ calories and 50+ grams of yummy protein all wrapped up in a warm tin foil package

RhodeHouse
10-13-2008, 04:38 PM
Whoa, wait a sec....have you not heard of the goodness that is Wendy's Baconator?? half pound of meat (probably beef), 6 slices of bacon, 2 or 3 slices of cheese, some kind of good mayo sauce....800+ calories and 50+ grams of yummy protein all wrapped up in a warm tin foil package

I have dabled. I just wasn't that impressed. It was good, but better than the Double QPC with Big Mac sauce? Hardly. I just can't get into Wendy's and Taco Bell. I'll eat it, but the Arches of Power are the beacon of hope for all skinny weak guys. Go towards the light, my brothers.

RhodeHouse
10-13-2008, 04:41 PM
I am not trying to disagree with anyone on here, especially Rhodes because he did just receive a clean bill of health from the doctor. But, I guess eating like this every single day all day will have an adverse effect on you regardless of whether you are training or not. Check out this article from Berardi about Dave Tate.

I don't eat, nor advocate eating, McDonald's everyday. If you need to gain weight and you're having trouble, absolutely. Mainly because you're only eating it for a short period of time.

I'm just tired of people trying to say it's so bad for you. It's not great, but it's not gonna kill you.

RichMcGuire
10-13-2008, 04:45 PM
I don't eat, nor advocate eating, McDonald's everyday. If you need to gain weight and you're having trouble, absolutely. Mainly because you're only eating it for a short period of time.

I'm just tired of people trying to say it's so bad for you. It's not great, but it's not gonna kill you.

Exactly. This sums it all up. If you struggle to gain lbs, see how many chicken breasts you'd need to eat. Or you could get a few double cheeseburgers for a few bucks.

RhodeHouse
10-13-2008, 05:43 PM
Exactly. This sums it all up. If you struggle to gain lbs, see how many chicken breasts you'd need to eat. Or you could get a few double cheeseburgers for a few bucks.

Great minds think alike, Richard. Good to meet a fellow genius.

Shouji
10-13-2008, 06:57 PM
My bulk has sucked for the last month, mainly because of the chemo and I seem to only have a craving for fast food. The past month I have been eating at any given fast food chain no less than 8 times week, and I have been able to maintain my 155 weight and STILL have a visible 8-pack.

cphafner
10-13-2008, 07:16 PM
Great minds think alike, Richard. Good to meet a fellow genius.

I've been historically a clean bulker, and I'm sure this has limited my gains. It is so easy to meet your daily requirements with McD's, Wendy's, Chipotle, etc. This time around I have been trying just to hit my daily calorie goal and not worry so much about the underlying macro breakdown of where the calories are coming from.

One of the other things I've tried to do is something I believe you (Rhodes) stated in one of your vids, and that is leave nothing on the plate. Every bite left on the plate is calories that would help you meet your goal. I admittedly left a few bites today at lunch and thought Rhodes would smack me if he saw that.

I'm starting to see the light...

RhodeHouse
10-13-2008, 07:28 PM
I've been historically a clean bulker, and I'm sure this has limited my gains. It is so easy to meet your daily requirements with McD's, Wendy's, Chipotle, etc. This time around I have been trying just to hit my daily calorie goal and not worry so much about the underlying macro breakdown of where the calories are coming from.

One of the other things I've tried to do is something I believe you (Rhodes) stated in one of your vids, and that is leave nothing on the plate. Every bite left on the plate is calories that would help you meet your goal. I admittedly left a few bites today at lunch and thought Rhodes would smack me if he saw that.

I'm starting to see the light...

Dude, I hear Vincent's voice in my head when I don't want to finish my food. It's sick. He relishes in the fact that he knows when I don't want to eat, but still keep forcing it down, just because I know he'll rip my ass if I stop eating.

Keep forcing the food. You'll make some great gains. It's HARD work gaining weight. 20lbs is easy. 30-40lbs is hard work. You have to really strap on you feed bucket and chew.

Good luck with it, Bro. Get after it.

McLaughlin
10-13-2008, 07:46 PM
I'm trying to gain weight too, my biggest problem is consistency. I'm thinking mc donalds is going to cure that, since it's right on the way home from work... we'll see.

I also like taco bell, but it's out of the way. Same with the Wendy's in our area. Only easily accessible fast food is Mc D's.

essentialherb08
10-15-2008, 12:18 AM

For the record eating like crap did lead to something going wrong for Dave Tate even tho he does train like a beast. He's got all sorts of health problems and is only 38. Rhodes eats pretty dam descent compared to him. Being able to squat 900 pounds but getting winded walking across the parking lot... Come on that just aint right.

Z 2 8
10-15-2008, 01:07 AM
My decision has been the same this whole time. If you don't believe me look at all my posts and they have been consistent. My decision isn't simply a yes or no because believe it or not life is more complicated than that. Yes, in life there are more answers than yes and no, it may be a shock to you but bare with me. You see, there are things in life that have the possibility of hurting someone or making them sick but only under certain circumstances. For example, if you drink too much alcohol you will die, very simple. So if someone asked you "is alcohol bad?" would you say yes or no? By saying no, you imply that the possibilities of harming yourself by consuming alcohol is nearly zero. If you say yes, it means that there is no safe amount of alcohol to consume. The answer is obvious, no alcohol is not bad, BUT this only applies if it is taken in moderation. Moderation means not enough to kill yourself or cause ridiculous body damage.

Is McDonald's unhealthy? No, but only in moderation. As you have shown moderation can mean 10 times a month. Does that prove eating McDonald's every day, day in day out is? It's a different question. You don't see that I am agreeing with you?

And if I were American no way in hell would I vote for Obama. Yeh... lets get 30% of all our energy from wind... yeh right. Looks like someone's advisers failed physics...

I would have to disagree with the alcohol portion of this. Or, maybe most of it...

This other guy says he eats McDonalds 10 times a month roughly. Maybe more, maybe less. It's not moderation, it's calories in to calories out. Food is food and a calorie is a calorie. Sure, if he ate McDonalds 4 times a day everyday, it could be detrimental to his health. But, maybe not?

Example

My dad has been drinking beer everyday since he was 16. It's sad, i know, but i bring this up as a point. Now, he is 45 years old and has about 23 beers a day. He drinks bush light. He hasn't missed one day since 2003 when he was sick and only missed one day. He just went to the doctor last month to get checked on and he is perfectly healthy...The doctor asked him how he keeps his health up. lololol

So, depending on your physical activity and genes really depends on your health in my opinion...My dad and the other guy on this thread proves this theory...

Kastro
10-15-2008, 01:46 AM
Obviously trying to extend anecdotal evidence from one person to conclude that we can all eat McDonald's constantly and remain perfectly healthy is flawed logic.

That said, the only beef I have with McDonalds is the 32oz sodas people tend to drink with every meal. I like the food.

Brad08
10-15-2008, 06:13 AM
McDonald's doublecheeseburgers for $1 a pop is rivaled only by Arby's 5 for $5, quite possibly the most awesome lunch deal ever invented.

jpw204
10-15-2008, 11:10 AM
I would have to disagree with the alcohol portion of this. Or, maybe most of it...

This other guy says he eats McDonalds 10 times a month roughly. Maybe more, maybe less. It's not moderation, it's calories in to calories out. Food is food and a calorie is a calorie. Sure, if he ate McDonalds 4 times a day everyday, it could be detrimental to his health. But, maybe not?

Example

My dad has been drinking beer everyday since he was 16. It's sad, i know, but i bring this up as a point. Now, he is 45 years old and has about 23 beers a day. He drinks bush light. He hasn't missed one day since 2003 when he was sick and only missed one day. He just went to the doctor last month to get checked on and he is perfectly healthy...The doctor asked him how he keeps his health up. lololol

So, depending on your physical activity and genes really depends on your health in my opinion...My dad and the other guy on this thread proves this theory...

I'm not saying what your dad does is a good thing. But I am thrilled at that news about drinking and remaining "healthy". Cheers! :)

Tennessee Mike
10-15-2008, 01:30 PM
But why stop at 23?One more is a case.Weird.

McLaughlin
10-15-2008, 02:52 PM
But why stop at 23?One more is a case.Weird.

That was my first thought.

joey54
10-15-2008, 05:07 PM
I'm not saying what your dad does is a good thing. But I am thrilled at that news about drinking and remaining "healthy". Cheers! :)

So healthy that the guy will basically have to drink almost a case of beer each day just to remain "normal". I wouldn't call that healthy at all. If that is true he could be meeting the criteria for alcohol dependence(by all accounts he would, but since all we can go on is the report of the poster it would be irresponsible to just state that) and if he doesn't drink enough to maintain each day he could possibly die. I know it is funny to joke about drinking and all, but if the other poster's father is drinking like this, it is a pretty serious matter.

RedSpikeyThing
10-15-2008, 05:32 PM
Most agree that McDonald's is fine, and they are right. Those who disagree are wrong. It's that simple. No debate. The facts are out there. Nothing to discuss.
Unless you mean McDonald's is fine in moderation then I think you should post a single reputable source that says McDonald's is fine in any quantity.

And before you go on a rant, I am not questioning your ability as an athlete. I'm questioning your facts about nutrition.

Invain
10-15-2008, 05:48 PM
Unless you mean McDonald's is fine in moderation then I think you should post a single reputable source that says McDonald's is fine in any quantity.

And before you go on a rant, I am not questioning your ability as an athlete. I'm questioning your facts about nutrition.

I've brought this up before, and so have others. There's almost no point anymore spikey.

Rhodes, I don't doubt you're healthy one bit. You are a strong mother ****er and you're not obese at the same time, I honestly respect you for that. I still believe you're a little off with your fast food preaching and I'm afraid newbs may take your advice the wrong way. You've posted your diet on here before and quite a few of us were suprised at how healthy it actually was. You admit yourself that you eat McDonald's in moderation. Even I agree that a few times a week for somebody as active as a top level powerlifter isn't a big deal at all.

Because of your obvious athleticism and good health, it's also pretty likely that you have above average genetics. Maybe eating ****ty food more often simply doesn't matter as much for your body compared to an average human.

I'd also like to add that no, I'm not just pulling this from "stuff I've learned in books or class." Sure you have wayyyy more experience than I do, but I've gone through both dirty and clean bulk cycles myself and I have without a doubt noticed a huge difference.

RhodeHouse
10-15-2008, 07:42 PM
For the record eating like crap did lead to something going wrong for Dave Tate even tho he does train like a beast. He's got all sorts of health problems and is only 38. Rhodes eats pretty dam descent compared to him. Being able to squat 900 pounds but getting winded walking across the parking lot... Come on that just aint right.

No, it may not be right, but it's part of the deal. Being strong is NOT about being healthy. Sometimes you have to sacrifice things to reach a goal. I've been so big and bloated that I couldn't have sex for more than 1-2 minutes. Toys and other things got us thru that time. But, my point is, being winded walking up 2 steps is part of the deal. This is what you, and many others will never understand.

RhodeHouse
10-15-2008, 07:46 PM

I'm a reputable source. My training partners are reputable sources. I don't quote books on nutrition because they are wrong.

You always have something to say when I bring up this stuff. Studies=waste of time

RhodeHouse
10-15-2008, 07:52 PM
I've brought this up before, and so have others. There's almost no point anymore spikey.

Rhodes, I don't doubt you're healthy one bit. You are a strong mother ****er and you're not obese at the same time, I honestly respect you for that. I still believe you're a little off with your fast food preaching and I'm afraid newbs may take your advice the wrong way. You've posted your diet on here before and quite a few of us were suprised at how healthy it actually was. You admit yourself that you eat McDonald's in moderation. Even I agree that a few times a week for somebody as active as a top level powerlifter isn't a big deal at all.

Because of your obvious athleticism and good health, it's also pretty likely that you have above average genetics. Maybe eating ****ty food more often simply doesn't matter as much for your body compared to an average human.

I'd also like to add that no, I'm not just pulling this from "stuff I've learned in books or class." Sure you have wayyyy more experience than I do, but I've gone through both dirty and clean bulk cycles myself and I have without a doubt noticed a huge difference.

I can go on a whole positive rant about this, but the same people always have something to say about my findings in real life. Then they tell me how wrong I am. Then I get mad because I'm right, but I have this horrible need to tell everybody I'm right, especially when I know I'm right. Then, I get PM's from Travis telling me I hurt someone's feelings or offended someone, or crossed the line, blah, blah, blah. I'm just tired of it.

I'll leave it at this. If Lawrence Taylor told me how to rush the QB, I'd listen and do EXACTLY as he told me. After a while, I would exercise some common sense and tweak his method to work for me. Afterall, I'm not LT (there's only one LT and he doesn't play for San Diego), but, he does play my position and he is the best to ever play that position. To me, it makes sense.

RedSpikeyThing
10-15-2008, 07:57 PM
I'm a reputable source. My training partners are reputable sources. I don't quote books on nutrition because they are wrong.

You always have something to say when I bring up this stuff. Studies=waste of time

So what you're trying to say is there is no scientific proof. Yes I always have something to say when you bring this up because I can show proof, meaning science, that I am right. You, however, cannot.

You are an example that everything in moderation is fine which supports my opinion. Yet, for some reason, you're convinced that this means you can eat like that all the time and be perfectly ok. Hell, watch Supersize me if you want anecdotal evidence that McDonald's is unhealthy...

Invain
10-15-2008, 08:15 PM
I can go on a whole positive rant about this, but the same people always have something to say about my findings in real life. Then they tell me how wrong I am. Then I get mad because I'm right, but I have this horrible need to tell everybody I'm right, especially when I know I'm right. Then, I get PM's from Travis telling me I hurt someone's feelings or offended someone, or crossed the line, blah, blah, blah. I'm just tired of it.

I'll leave it at this. If Lawrence Taylor told me how to rush the QB, I'd listen and do EXACTLY as he told me. After a while, I would exercise some common sense and tweak his method to work for me. Afterall, I'm not LT (there's only one LT and he doesn't play for San Diego), but, he does play my position and he is the best to ever play that position. To me, it makes sense.

My whole point is, you don't even know if you're right through your own personal experiences. You don't eat McDonalds every day, but you argue that anybody who did would be perfectly healthy? I smoke farily often, but don't claim that it's healthy just because I am. Like I said, your diet is much better than you portray it is on the boards. Just because you're healthy and you eat McDonalds once in a while automatically meens McDonald's must be healthy as well? "The same people always have something to say" because we're the only ones willing to speak up. Isn't that the whole point in an open forum such as this? Sure, I'd gladly take any advice you have when it comes to lifting weights, but I truly feel your nutritional advice is slightly off because you don't necessarily practice what you preach.

Travis Bell
10-15-2008, 08:17 PM
hahahaha because Supersize me certainly wasn't propaganda more than anything else

Dude c'mon, you can find studies that support just about anything you like out there.

RedSpikeyThing
10-15-2008, 08:19 PM
My whole point is, you don't even know if you're right through your own personal experiences. You don't eat McDonalds every day, but you argue that anybody who did would be perfectly healthy? I smoke farily often, but don't claim that it's healthy just because I am. Like I said, your diet is much better than you portray it is on the boards. Just because you're healthy and you eat McDonalds once in a while automatically meens McDonald's must be healthy as well? "The same people always have something to say" because we're the only ones willing to speak up. Isn't that the whole point in an open forum such as this? Sure, I'd gladly take any advice you have when it comes to lifting weights, but I truly feel your nutritional advice is slightly off because you don't necessarily practice what you preach.

This is exactly what I'm saying as well.

Also you seem to think that I'm attacking you as a person, when in fact I'm disagreeing with your opinions on nutrition. I listen to whatever you say about powerlifting, training, etc. I've seen your interviews and seem like a good guy :) I don't know why you get all uptight on the forums.

RedSpikeyThing
10-15-2008, 08:21 PM
hahahaha because Supersize me certainly wasn't propaganda more than anything else

Dude c'mon, you can find studies that support just about anything you like out there.
Although true to a certain extent, I would like to see one that says McDonald's isn't unhealthy. Don't you think McDonald's would have funded something scientific to clear their name?

Ben Moore
10-15-2008, 08:22 PM
Could it be to get a rise out of you? Seriously guys - loosen up.

RhodeHouse
10-15-2008, 09:14 PM
So what you're trying to say is there is no scientific proof. Yes I always have something to say when you bring this up because I can show proof, meaning science, that I am right. You, however, cannot.

You are an example that everything in moderation is fine which supports my opinion. Yet, for some reason, you're convinced that this means you can eat like that all the time and be perfectly ok. Hell, watch Supersize me if you want anecdotal evidence that McDonald's is unhealthy...

Good for you. You can prove it. Awesome. I'm so proud of you. F#$K Supersize Me. Anecdotal proof? I'm anecdotal proof. And, no, it's not scientific. but, science doesn't mean a thing. Science is for guys that can't actually do it. They just have to talk about it because they can't do it.

RhodeHouse
10-15-2008, 09:16 PM

You must get a hard on trolling me. I have eaten McDonald's everyday for about 3 months gettin g ready for a contest. Blood tests were perfect, as usual. I practice what I preach.

You just like to nitpick everything an elite level athlete, in multiple sports, has to say.

RhodeHouse
10-15-2008, 09:19 PM
This is exactly what I'm saying as well.

Also you seem to think that I'm attacking you as a person, when in fact I'm disagreeing with your opinions on nutrition. I listen to whatever you say about powerlifting, training, etc. I've seen your interviews and seem like a good guy :) I don't know why you get all uptight on the forums.

I don't care what you think about me. I don't care if you listen to me about lifting, eating, or anything else. More people listen than don't listen. And, these are the same people who make progress. You like to troll and nitpick, like your boy InVain. You guys must ahve a man crush on me. I do look pretty good, I have to admit.

Chubrock
10-15-2008, 09:21 PM
Rhodes you're a meany head.

Invain
10-15-2008, 10:04 PM
You must get a hard on trolling me. I have eaten McDonald's everyday for about 3 months gettin g ready for a contest. Blood tests were perfect, as usual. I practice what I preach.

You just like to nitpick everything an elite level athlete, in multiple sports, has to say.

I'm not nitpicking anything. Why is it impossible for you to have a real discussion about a topic such as this without resorting to calling people trolls? This is the exact reason why nobody else ever disagrees with you, because they know exactly what you'll say.

Anyways, I've made my points and I won't push this any further. I believe fast food (some, not all) is unhealthy along with any other highly processed food. If you truly don't believe so that's cool, but I do feel bad for anybody that takes your advice seriously.

WillNoble
10-15-2008, 10:48 PM
This is the exact reason why nobody else ever disagrees with you, because they know exactly what you'll say.

Actually most dont disagree with him because more often than not he's right

well excluding the one time when he was talking about trannies....but, I digress

WildJames
10-16-2008, 05:25 AM
It's quite comical to follow this thread and how heated this guy gets over freaking McDonalds. I just imagine him clenching his fists and getting all red faced every time someone posts anything in here that isn't aligned with "You're a god, please advice me on how to live my life sir".

Reko
10-16-2008, 06:06 AM
I do look pretty good, I have to admit.

Touche.

RedSpikeyThing
10-16-2008, 06:25 AM
Good for you. You can prove it. Awesome. I'm so proud of you. F#$K Supersize Me. Anecdotal proof? I'm anecdotal proof. And, no, it's not scientific. but, science doesn't mean a thing. Science is for guys that can't actually do it. They just have to talk about it because they can't do it.

Thanks for the petty insults. I guess that means that, unsurprisingly, you can't actually show real proof to support your claims. Peace.

Tennessee Mike
10-16-2008, 06:38 AM
Basically what it boils down to is guys who want to be bigger and stronger and will do ANYTHING to get there.Whether its force feeding,drugs,driving 100 miles to train with the right people,etc.Then there are guys who say they wanna be huge and cant gain,but are really more concerned with their appearance and arent really willing to do what it takes.This means not being 100%"healthy " all the time.Theres nothing to really debate here.You either do things at all costs or you dont.Its simple.A guy like me who only eats fast food once or twice a week just came back with a really high cholesterol,triglyceride,LDL count.It is what it is.Doesnt mean I will never eat fast food again.I know its a hereditary thing,and alot of red meat,egg yolks.So Im cuttin back a bit and gettin my numbers down,but will continue to do what I want when I want to get bigger.

Gable
10-16-2008, 07:09 AM
Very well put Mike.

Cheers.

ehubbard
10-16-2008, 07:20 AM
It's quite comical to follow this thread and how heated this guy gets over freaking McDonalds. I just imagine him clenching his fists and getting all red faced every time someone posts anything in here that isn't aligned with "You're a god, please advice me on how to live my life sir".

I must correct you. As someone who has seen Rhodes' head in person, he is red faced all the time. The question is what shade of red or if he has gone full tilt to purple?

growthrep
10-16-2008, 07:32 AM
Had 3 sausage mcmuffins and a coffee for breffas today. Feeling awesome here.

RhodeHouse
10-16-2008, 07:53 AM
I'm not nitpicking anything. Why is it impossible for you to have a real discussion about a topic such as this without resorting to calling people trolls? This is the exact reason why nobody else ever disagrees with you, because they know exactly what you'll say.

Anyways, I've made my points and I won't push this any further. I believe fast food (some, not all) is unhealthy along with any other highly processed food. If you truly don't believe so that's cool, but I do feel bad for anybody that takes your advice seriously.

Dude,

All you do is troll my posts. You're a 205lbs kid telling me stuff that I don't care about, nor do I believe. I'm glad people don't argue with me. I don't come on here to learn. I'vemade it from 185lbs to 320lbs keeping my bodyfat under 20%. I know what I need to know. A lot of you would be smart to listen because I've learned this from guys that have done more than I have. I'm lucky enough to have access to some of the best minds in the fitness industry. So, when I give out free info, it's coming from my personal experience or from someone that knows what they're talking about because they've done it.

Why would you feel bad for someone that listens to me? Do you not want them to succeed? Do you want all their hard work to end up as 205lbs? I guess my accomplishments mean nothing because I don't waste my time reading science books. I guess real-life experience means nothing. That's why I am where I am and you are...

Don't respond to my posts. There 3-4 of you guys that seem to think I give a $hit about your opinions. You, Red Spikey, and that's about it, are the only ones who had something negative to say. Go away. You add nothing to these posts.

RhodeHouse
10-16-2008, 07:55 AM

I'm supposed to be nice and not say what i really think. Let's just say, I'm pro-choice and your parents should've chosen.

You, like all the other children, miss my point. You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make them drink.

Little Jimmy, stay away.

RhodeHouse
10-16-2008, 08:02 AM
Had 3 sausage mcmuffins and a coffee for breffas today. Feeling awesome here.

Nice work. 2 sausage mcmuffins and 2 hash brown with a coke for breakfast. You feel great and look great.

Another smart man who will grow. Jump on the big man train.

kevowamo
10-16-2008, 08:09 AM
blah blah blah blah. rhodes, give us some lifting advice. enough with nutrition. you're a beast, tell us how you do it. or comment on lifting questions. something...anything other than nutrition

Invain
10-16-2008, 09:03 AM
I wanted to let this drop but since you insist on insulting me I'll throw this out there for poeple to read who haven't yet.

http://www.johnberardi.com/articles/nutrition/dave_tate_2.htm

Gee, that guy sounded a lot like you in the beginning. Whatever, I guess Dave Tate and John Berardi have no clue what they're talking about according to you, right?

WillNoble
10-16-2008, 09:06 AM
Well in all actuality Berardi has been destroyed repeatedly on his nutritional "facts" by many in the industry such as: McDonald, Colpo, Hale, Aragon, Peele, etc.

but it makes for a nice article... Powerlifter begins eating and training like a bodybuilder...and guess what! he begins looking like a bodybuilder OMG AMAZING!!!!111

EDIT: An aside to this.... Dave's before pics put 85% of the people on this board to shame

Invain
10-16-2008, 09:25 AM
Well in all actuality Berardi has been destroyed repeatedly on his nutritional "facts" by many in the industry such as: McDonald, Colpo, Hale, Aragon, Peele, etc.

but it makes for a nice article... Powerlifter begins eating and training like a bodybuilder...and guess what! he begins looking like a bodybuilder OMG AMAZING!!!!111

Did you even read the article? I think you missed the point completely.

As for Beardi having been 'destroyed completey', I have no clue what you're rambling about. I even tried googling around and couldn't find anything. He has multiple articles on T-nation as well as our very own WBB and his books have been suggested on these forums many times. Sure Berardi and Lyle Mcdonald argue often, there's just as many people that believe Lyle is wrong about stuff too however.

RedSpikeyThing
10-16-2008, 09:27 AM
me

Seeing as this thread is regarding health, appearances should be irrelevant.

Holto
10-16-2008, 10:29 AM
Basically what it boils down to is guys who want to be bigger and stronger and will do ANYTHING to get there.

Yep, including opening a book and actually finding out what is going on inside their bodies.

Tennessee Mike
10-16-2008, 10:47 AM
Yep, including opening a book and actually finding out what is going on inside their bodies.

Theres not a powerlifter on here that doesnt know whats going on inside their bodies.They just arent obsessed with it like some of you.Most of us have been in the industry for years.Whether its bodybuilding,athletics,physical therapy,powerlifting,etc.We're all well rounded,have been trainers,taken courses.Like I said,some of us are willing to sacrifice not having perfect numbers when a blood test doesnt come back perfect.Some of us are not.

Any of you who question Rhodes background might wanna do some research.The fact that he earns a living helping people get in shape is one thing to look at.Or that he played Arena ball,college ball,been a strength coach.You dont think he's knowledgeable enough to give advice?yet those of you who are still wet behind the ears in your training and know nothing but what youve read are?

Ben Moore
10-16-2008, 11:00 AM

You really seem to pop up out of nowhere...

Tennessee Mike
10-16-2008, 11:01 AM
Bottom line is that Dave Tate made a decision to clean up his diet.Before that,he was a jacked up powerlifter with low bodyfat who ate like ****.His totals are impressive as hell.The point is that eating unhealthy will not prevent you from being big and strong.Will it make you healthier?No.And realistically,Dave Tate was extreme.He knew nothing of moderation and didnt care.The average powerlifter can eat Mcdonalds,drink some beers,have a candy bar,because bodyfat is not part of his worries until he may have to cut weight.Its about moving something from point A to point B.So with all the arguing back and forth,remember that if your a bodybuilder,then dont listen to a Powerlifter for nutritional advice.Find another bodybuilder.If bodyfat and appearance are whats important to you,then obviously a top level powerlifter who competes at 300-315lbs is not who you should talk to.

growthrep
10-16-2008, 11:08 AM
Bottom line is that Dave Tate made a decision to clean up his diet.Before that,he was a jacked up powerlifter with low bodyfat who ate like ****.His totals are impressive as hell.The point is that eating unhealthy will not prevent you from being big and strong.Will it make you healthier?No.And realistically,Dave Tate was extreme.He knew nothing of moderation and didnt care.The average powerlifter can eat Mcdonalds,drink some beers,have a candy bar,because bodyfat is not part of his worries until he may have to cut weight.Its about moving something from point A to point B.So with all the arguing back and forth,remember that if your a bodybuilder,then dont listen to a Powerlifter for nutritional advice.Find another bodybuilder.If bodyfat and appearance are whats important to you,then obviously a top level powerlifter who competes at 300-315lbs is not who you should talk to.

ditto.

chris mason
10-16-2008, 11:38 AM
Why does everyone worry so much about all of this?

Excess caloric intake combined with resistance training will add maximal muscle and fat to a point.

Its effect on your health may be deleterious over time. Heredity plays a HUGE role.

If you want to be lean then don't eat to excess. If you want to be as big and strong as possible and don't particularly care how you look then eat to excess.

My point is people are arguing based upon their individual goals and that is stupid because individual goals are just that, INDIVIDUAL.

anonymous1
10-16-2008, 11:49 AM

Excess caloric intake combined with resistance training will add maximal muscle and fat to a point.

Its effect on your health may be deleterious over time. Heredity plays a HUGE role.

If you want to be lean then don't eat to excess. If you want to be as big and strong as possible and don't particularly care how you look then eat to excess.

My point is people are arguing based upon their individual goals and that is stupid because individual goals are just that, INDIVIDUAL.

That about sums it up. Been following the thread out of amusement. People are funny.

WillNoble
10-16-2008, 12:10 PM
As for Beardi having been 'destroyed completey', I have no clue what you're rambling about. I even tried googling around and couldn't find anything. He has multiple articles on T-nation as well as our very own WBB and his books have been suggested on these forums many times. Sure Berardi and Lyle Mcdonald argue often, there's just as many people that believe Lyle is wrong about stuff too however.

Visit their respective sites, as well as many other sites regarding nutrition and you will see that Berardi is viewed as a joke by many of the top nutrition folks out there...get away from T-mag btw, theres your first problem

WillNoble
10-16-2008, 12:13 PM
Seeing as this thread is regarding health, appearances should be irrelevant.

However many on this board equate appearance to health...thats the facts

Im a 320 lb. man and am in GREAT health, do I appear to be a bodybuilder or have sub 10% bodyfat....no

Do I eat fast food, drink the occasional bourbon, absolutely

yet every time I go to the doctor Im the picture of health...

The point is appearances are very decieving, yet most of us equate looks with health

brihead301
10-16-2008, 12:44 PM
Sorry I just caught this thread now, but Rhodes how on earth am I supposed to get abs of steel by eating McDonalds???

RhodeHouse
10-16-2008, 01:00 PM
blah blah blah blah. rhodes, give us some lifting advice. enough with nutrition. you're a beast, tell us how you do it. or comment on lifting questions. something...anything other than nutrition

I like nutrition. Lifting is easy. Here's some more free advice. In fact, here's the secret.

Put some more weight on the bar and lift it. It's really that simple. no books needed to know that.

And, eat McDonald's.

RhodeHouse
10-16-2008, 01:02 PM
I wanted to let this drop but since you insist on insulting me I'll throw this out there for poeple to read who haven't yet.

http://www.johnberardi.com/articles/nutrition/dave_tate_2.htm

Gee, that guy sounded a lot like you in the beginning. Whatever, I guess Dave Tate and John Berardi have no clue what they're talking about according to you, right?

I'm sorry, you're 205lbs. I can't understand small. Gain 50lbs so we can talk.

RhodeHouse
10-16-2008, 01:07 PM
Sorry I just caught this thread now, but Rhodes how on earth am I supposed to get abs of steel by eating McDonalds???

Dude, it's easy. Just don't Super Size everything. That's a fact. I'm surprised you didn't know that.:hello:

growthrep
10-16-2008, 01:10 PM
I like nutrition. Lifting is easy. Here's some more free advice. In fact, here's the secret.

Put some more weight on the bar and lift it. It's really that simple. no books needed to know that.

And, eat McDonald's.

Rhode, I gotta say that your posts are a welcomed breath of fresh air. The way muscle rags and fitness sites try to complicate the hell out of weightlifting so as to sell their products/services is sickening. It really comes down to adding weight to the bar, lifting balls to the wall (honest hard work)and getting in a ton of protein if you want big muscles. The mundane crap on rep and set schemes and macros is just brutal. Just brutal.....

Don't ever stop spreading the truth, my friend.

Lift heavy, rest and eat. Wow! Whodda thunk it? :evillaugh:

WillNoble
10-16-2008, 01:20 PM
Rhode, I gotta say that your posts are a welcomed breath of fresh air. The way muscle rags and fitness sites try to complicate the hell out of weightlifting so as to sell their products/services is sickening. It really comes down to adding weight to the bar, lifting balls to the wall (honest hard work)and getting in a ton of protein if you want big muscles. The mundane crap on rep and set schemes and macros is just brutal. Just brutal.....

know its not addressed to me...but you rock

growthrep
10-16-2008, 01:27 PM
know its not addressed to me...but you rock

Will, right back at ya. It is high time for a return to basics in this field.

WillNoble
10-16-2008, 01:33 PM
agreed, the way in which people try to overcomplicate this garbage upsets me...

1) Eat marginally clean

2) Train hard

3) Remember this simple equation: If you eat more cals than you burn, you gain weight. If you eat less cals than you burn, you lose weight... Not rocket science guys

Tennessee Mike
10-16-2008, 05:06 PM
I'll never forget when Muscular development went "Natural".One of their writers was Skip Laqour.He stated that you have to eat 1.5 grams of protein per pound of bodyweight to Maintain what you already have.And then an additional amount(to be determined) to add new muscle.I knew then it was a croc of ****!He also said that if you miss one day of reaching those numbers it could screw you for weeks....where the hell did these guys come up with this crap?

RhodeHouse
10-16-2008, 06:51 PM

Wait, Muscle and Fitness is wrong? Dude, you shattered my whole world. Why?

I appreciate it, bro. I know Travis and Chris don't like these threads because I usually end up saying something stupid. I do appreciate it, though. Happy lifting.

essentialherb08
10-16-2008, 07:13 PM
No, it may not be right, but it's part of the deal. Being strong is NOT about being healthy. Sometimes you have to sacrifice things to reach a goal. I've been so big and bloated that I couldn't have sex for more than 1-2 minutes. Toys and other things got us thru that time. But, my point is, being winded walking up 2 steps is part of the deal. This is what you, and many others will never understand.

Dude I wouldnt mind weighing 160 and squatting 900.

RhodeHouse
10-16-2008, 07:19 PM
Dude I wouldnt mind weighing 160 and squatting 900.

That won't happen. And, no matter what you say, I'd kill myself if I weighed 160lbs. I've dated girls that weigh 160lbs. One was a 5'9" hockey player and the other was a 5'10"college track athlete, so no, they weren't even close to fat. Both had abs, actually. Just like me. It's not ok for a guy to weigh that much. It's not. There is a serious lack of pride in young boys in this country. Somewhere along the line it became ok to be as small as a girl. So sad.

I'd rather look like I lift weights than have to be asked if I lift weights.

Reko
10-16-2008, 07:20 PM

Me too, and I'm 235 :confused:

Chubrock
10-16-2008, 07:32 PM
I know you're a Golden Arches believer, but I had to hit up Wendys today for a quick $3.50 meal. Double Stack, Crispy Chicken Sandwich, Chili. Came out to 850 cal, 78C/36F/53P. Nice cheap meal, and oh so delicious.

Ben Moore
10-16-2008, 07:54 PM
This is what separates the men from the boys. Pay attention youngs ones, this is key.

Auburn
10-16-2008, 08:11 PM
Did we learn nothing from the great Dirty Dieting series by Dan Duchaine? If you can't handle McDonalds your testosterone needs a little outside assistance.

And I'm all about the Taco Bell. The last time I had McDonalds I binged on the McGriddles and my diabetes flared up.

Holto
10-17-2008, 08:23 AM
Theres not a powerlifter on here that doesnt know whats going on inside their bodies.

I'm talking about translocation of glucose receptors, amino acid pool regulation, the negative feedback loop insulin runs on. The difference between myofibrillar and sarcoplasmic hypertrophy. Try asking the head trainer at ANY gym to explain that last one to you. They will generally be dumbfounded. Their job is to produce hypertrophy in their clients bodies, yet they can't even roughly explain what actually happens. It doesn't mean they aren't good at what they do, but to claim they actually understand what processes the body goes through is a perpetration of fraud.

I'm not naming names, but there are several new members on here that are constantly insulting other posters and it's clear to me they don't understand what's going on inside their bodies. I can tell when they continually post things that are not scientifically accurate.

It's the problem with listening to the big guy, or the accomplished guy, often those types don't know why they are succeeding, they can only tell you what they did. They really don't understand why it works. So if you get down to the hard science, and combine that with the anecdotal stuff that gets passed on, you're giving yourself the greatest chance to succeed.

Invain
10-17-2008, 08:27 AM

Then what exactly is the point in an open forum Chris? I find it very sad that it's nearly impossible to have an intelligent discussion on wbb anymore.

Holto
10-17-2008, 08:50 AM
I think what Chris is saying, is that if your goal is not be 250lbs, that you shouldn't be persecuted for not achieving a goal you have no intention of reaching, possibly because it would actually counteract your achieving the goals that you have set.

Joe Black
10-17-2008, 09:07 AM
Guys, try to get along :) I will have a chat to a couple of you via pm just to try and smooth a few things out.

There are some very different personalities in this thread and also some very different goals trying to be achieved. There is always going to be some bumping of heads when this occurs.

It's ok that people don't agree on things, but I see two things here. There are some insults in this post and it needs to stop. It's fine to disagree but let's not tell someone their opinion shouldn't could because they are not as strong or do not weigh as much.

Also, it's obvious that there are some bad feelings from some previous disagreements and I can see some members are just looking for a fight. Ease off a bit and just appreciate you are not ever going to see eye to eye and... well... just back off a bit as things are a bit sensitive right now.

Now, I am off to eat a good steak at a nice restaurant. Far tastier and healthier than a macdonalds :)

paul0101
10-17-2008, 09:17 AM

Amen to that bro.

EatMyWay2TheTop
10-17-2008, 10:27 AM

Nathan's cheese steak in Coney Island is 850+ calories; add to that the big bag of potatoes and the drink and you're seeing what Heaven may look like.

Tennessee Mike
10-17-2008, 10:46 AM
I'm talking about translocation of glucose receptors, amino acid pool regulation, the negative feedback loop insulin runs on. The difference between myofibrillar and sarcoplasmic hypertrophy. Try asking the head trainer at ANY gym to explain that last one to you. They will generally be dumbfounded. Their job is to produce hypertrophy in their clients bodies, yet they can't even roughly explain what actually happens. It doesn't mean they aren't good at what they do, but to claim they actually understand what processes the body goes through is a perpetration of fraud.

I'm not naming names, but there are several new members on here that are constantly insulting other posters and it's clear to me they don't understand what's going on inside their bodies. I can tell when they continually post things that are not scientifically accurate.

It's the problem with listening to the big guy, or the accomplished guy, often those types don't know why they are succeeding, they can only tell you what they did. They really don't understand why it works. So if you get down to the hard science, and combine that with the anecdotal stuff that gets passed on, you're giving yourself the greatest chance to succeed.

Holto,Its obvious your an intelligent human being.Your very cerebral in your approach to training and nutrition.While some of us who are trainers or ex-athletes,or whatever, do not use correct terminology or for that matter understand what sarcoplasmic hypertrophy is,we do know how to get results.If someone says "I wanna bench 315",I can help them.If they say"I wanna lose 15lbs",I can help them.The goal is to achieve goals.Its not to memorize text for the sake of.Its like calling someone smart because they can memorize passages and facts.They will get an A on every test,but what do they know?How to remember things?
I personally,came to this forum because I knew that Vincent D.,and Rhodes posted here.They are two guys whom I respect and admire.Since then Ive met a ton of cool people,alot of pains in the asses,and some new role models as well.While I admire someone for their accomplishments it doesnt mean I hang on their every word.I am also a trainer,and have been educating myself for a long time.But I do think its unfair to write off someones advice because its not scientifically worded correctly or "proven" with studies or tests.If alot of people do something thats worked for all of them,then its effective.It doesnt mean a damn thing if someone else or a book says it doesnt.We may simplify our answers and keep things black and white,but it doesnt mean we dont know more than we are relaying.No one wants to hear someone spout off facts and study figures.And who has that time?My clients wouldnt understand what hypertrophy,atrophy,anti-catabolism was if their life depended on it.I of course teach it over time,but thats a whole other thing.Im just saying that because laymen terms are used it doesnt mean anyone is uneducated or ignorant.

RhodeHouse
10-17-2008, 11:46 AM
Did we learn nothing from the great Dirty Dieting series by Dan Duchaine? If you can't handle McDonalds your testosterone needs a little outside assistance.

And I'm all about the Taco Bell. The last time I had McDonalds I binged on the McGriddles and my diabetes flared up.

That may have been one of the best answers I've ever heard.

"My diabetes flared up." It's not funny, for real, but that's funny.

Joe Black
10-17-2008, 12:01 PM
I really think the last posts made by Tennessee Mike and Holto are quality and deserve to be listened too. This also shows that both sides have good things to say and are relevant and we need to reach a common ground here.

Holto, I totally agree about some people not understanding what they are doing and WHY they are successful.. And sometimes there can be a risk they can give someone bad advice.

TM is also right in that a small percentage understand or have the time to understand complex anatomy or biology. That doesn't mean that they don't know what they are doing and aren't doing the right thing for them and can't help others.

Both sides just need to understand the other a little. It's important to know the details and we can learn from those who are perhaps more scientific in their approach. Having said that, don't discount someone because they are not overly scientific. These are BIG, STRONG guys who know what they are doing and are both inpspirational and can pass on their knowledge to others.

RhodeHouse
10-17-2008, 12:05 PM
Then what exactly is the point in an open forum Chris? I find it very sad that it's nearly impossible to have an intelligent discussion on wbb anymore.

Approach it in an intelligent manner, and you'll get an intelligent conversation.

When you respond to me, you sound like the 19 year old know it all, dumbass who really knows nothing. So, you get a dumbass answer from me, because I can't be bothered with some punk that doesn't want to listen. I give out FREE advice that I've learned over the pasat 15 years of training. If you're too ignorant, stupid, young - whatever your excuse is - to listen, you are nothing to me. (This is not meant as an insult. It's my way of explaining where I'm coming from. I'd say this to your face)

And to whoever felt the need to post about bodyweight and strength not mattering. WRONG. Some little punk isn't gonna tell me I'm wrong, when everything I'm doing is working out perfectly. When you have a body of work behind you, like I do, clearly, I've proven over time that I'm in the know. I don't know everything, but you don't get where I am athletically or professionally by being an idiot. SO, when health is involved, and some 150lb kid is telling me that being 300lbs is unhealthy, or eating fast food is unhealthy, BANG! Really? I'm both of those and the picture of health. So, yes, weight and strength do matter. Afterall, it a F#$%ING WEIGHTLIFTING FORUM! The whole point is to get bigger and stronger.

You want intelligent, present your argument intelligently. Don't nitpick my stuff, like you, and a few others in this thread like to do. By the way, it's good to have Holto chiming in with his, whatever it is that he does...

I've said this OVER AND OVER. IF you don't like my stuff, don't read or respond to it. It's very simple. There are a few on here that don't like it and thier panties get all in a bunch over it. Most see exactly where I'm coming from. And, like someone said, it's clear you guys are out to start some trouble. I've done my best to be civil. It's been hard. Stupid should be painful, in my honest opinion. Unfortuantely, Darwinism has gone the way of the dinosaurs, so I have to deal with those that would've been left behind. So be it.

Invain, you wanna chat intelligently, ask me an intelligent question.

Joe Black
10-17-2008, 12:09 PM
I actually find it funny you are all arguing.

I agree with you all ha ha... seriously....

Holto
10-17-2008, 12:14 PM
And to whoever felt the need to post about bodyweight and strength not mattering.

He's the guy that owns this site.

Joe Black
10-17-2008, 12:18 PM
hmm, I didn't ever say that bodyweight and strength do not matter....

I just said that there is no need to tell someone to shut up or their opinion doesn't matter just because they are not as strong or big as you.

Not quite the same thing.

RhodeHouse
10-17-2008, 12:22 PM
He's the guy that owns this site.

Yeah, I know who he is. Thanks for clarification. We've had many PM's back and forth about my poor conduct on the boards.

Joe Black
10-17-2008, 12:24 PM
As I have had with others too :)

Holto
10-17-2008, 12:27 PM
Your very cerebral in your approach to training and nutrition.

Actually I'm not. My training and nutrition is EXTREMELY basic. My approach to learning is very scientific. I believe anything that is not science, is speculation.

While some of us do not understand what sarcoplasmic hypertrophy is

This is all I was getting at, and what I meant by truly understanding what goes on in your body.

Some people (and this has happened for years @ WBB) seem to think that if you are taking a scientific approach, it means you're not doing the brutal heavy basic stuff.

The reason why I put the time in to learn is because I have a passion for this iron sport of ours. Not because I shy away from making my body shriek in pain while I try to kill myself under a bar.

But I do think its unfair to write off someones advice because its not scientifically worded correctly or "proven" with studies or tests.

I would never do that. Scientifically speaking, nothing can ever be proven or disproven, we can only indicate tendencies. All I'm saying, is the years I've spent learning make it obvious to me who really knows what they are talking about. It doesn't mean their METHODS aren't correct, but often the explanation that goes with it is dead wrong.

My clients wouldnt understand what hypertrophy,atrophy,anti-catabolism was if their life depended on it.

You're absolutely right. That's why they are paying you to devise programs for them.

No one wants to hear someone spout off facts and study figures.

I think this is a very key point to note. MANY of the posters here would rather absorb facts and data VS opinions and anecdotal evidence. Perhaps the people that you train with and associate with can't be bothered or don't emphasize science but to assume every single member here is of the same mind is a big mistake.

jAy_Dub
10-17-2008, 12:29 PM
Lol this **** is hilarious. This is a ****ing fitness forum and the thread that stays at the top of the Diet and Nutrition section is about McDonalds and its benefits.

RhodeHouse
10-17-2008, 12:36 PM
1. Lift weights not books
2. Eat food
3. Sleep
4. Get laid

There's the secret to all this BS. Sarcoplasmic, hypergonadic, supercalafragilistic, exponential, anecdotal, double-blind, experimentation with genetic anomalies in the psoas leads to anti-catabolic growth from the endocrine system, based on the insulin response, given the time of day, month, and lunar orbit spectrum, thus creating a massive void in your brain where there is a complete absence of any and all rational thoughts and ideas, which, in turn, paralyses us and leads us to ask the question, "Do I wanna Supersize this?" And, the answer, of course, is "YES! Supersize that bitch!"

Holto
10-17-2008, 12:44 PM

Yes because clearly one must choose between the two.

This is the essentially the rift created on this board and the source of all this drama.

I respect guys not wanting to learn, why can't you respect the guys who want to learn???

2. Eat food
3. Sleep
4. Get laid

There's the secret to all this BS. Sarcoplasmic, hypergonadic,

Hilarious.

chris mason
10-17-2008, 12:56 PM
Rhode, you are right, but why get bothered by someone who wants to delve deeper? Calling their interest bull**** is stupid and a pussy move on your part. You get upset at them bugging you, but you then turn around and call everything they are interested in bull****. Your delivery sucks! That is half of your problem. You will say you don't care etc., but then you go on rants about how you don't care. THAT is part and parcel to the issue.

I agree that certain members here are whiney twits. They stalk you because of that and they fact they feel you have wronged them. They have been warned to stop the bull****. You need to do the same. Post your thoughts on training and diet and if someone disagrees and you feel the need to respond harshly, just let it ride and don't reply to them.

Tennessee Mike
10-17-2008, 01:02 PM
Yes because clearly one must choose between the two.

This is the essentially the rift created on this board and the source of all this drama.

I respect guys not wanting to learn, why can't you respect the guys who want to learn???

Hilarious.

Your confusing what you do and what we do as a lack of knowledge.The fact that you read books about nutrition and training is great.But the fact that I did that when I was 15-17 and realized it was the same things written over and over I knew that I had all the info I needed.So not knowing all the names of the various forms of hypertrophy doesnt make a difference in my training at all.I know if I eat enough calories and lift heavy,proggressively,I will get bigger and stronger.If I dont,I will get weaker and smaller.Thats as black and white as it gets.Knowing something doesnt give you an upper hand unless you apply it.And knowing "gym talk" from "book talk",makes no difference either.

Tennessee Mike
10-17-2008, 01:13 PM
Rhode, you are right, but why get bothered by someone who wants to delve deeper? Calling their interest bull**** is stupid and a pussy move on your part. You get upset at them bugging you, but you then turn around and call everything they are interested in bull****. Your delivery sucks! That is half of your problem. You will say you don't care etc., but then you go on rants about how you don't care. THAT is part and parcel to the issue.

I agree that certain members here are whiney twits. They stalk you because of that and they fact they feel you have wronged them. They have been warned to stop the bull****. You need to do the same. Post your thoughts on training and diet and if someone disagrees and you feel the need to respond harshly, just let it ride and don't reply to them.

In all seriousness,this message could have been sent in a PM.Ive gotten private warnings for Critisizing a mod.It should go both ways.

chris mason
10-17-2008, 01:23 PM
I will read a book and the writings of, or listen to someone I consider to know more than I do on a given topic. Anyone looking to improve should agree with that. Heck, Louie Simmons freely admits to learning from others and recommends their books. That stuff only makes good sense.

Many here get lost in the rhetoric. Rhodes' point is eat big and lift big to be big. That is a truism. Whatever the underlying physiological causes of the results, he doesn't much care. I get that.

For the rest of you that do care, you definitely think you know a lot more than you do. Trust me on that one. I've read and learned and forgotten as much as anyone on these boards and I know enough to know I don't know **** when it comes to the inner workings of the body (well, maybe a little :)).

chris mason
10-17-2008, 01:26 PM
In all seriousness,this message could have been sent in a PM.Ive gotten private warnings for Critisizing a mod.It should go both ways.

In all seriousness, you are not Rhodes' keeper. There have been many PMs on this general topic on BOTH sides and I am tired of it.

Tennessee Mike
10-17-2008, 01:32 PM
In all seriousness, you are not Rhodes' keeper. .

You havin a bad day big guy?No need to get testy with me.I was just stating the fact that I thought the Mod's were suppose to oversee the boards and not be biased.Your jumpin in and doing the same thing that everyone else is.Your voicing your opinion.But when you disagree,someones being a pussy?I dont get it?

Auburn
10-17-2008, 01:33 PM
For the rest of you that do care, you definitely think you know a lot more than you do. Trust me on that one. I've read and learned and forgotten as much as anyone on these boards and I know enough to know I don't know **** when it comes to the inner workings of the body (well, maybe a little :)).

Bingo. There is a lot of talk of "science", but I've not seen much evidence that those posters know what that really means, much less the limitations of their own knowledge. Whatever you think you know, it's a superficial understanding in the grand scheme of things (my own knowledge included).

chris mason
10-17-2008, 01:46 PM
You havin a bad day big guy?No need to get testy with me.I was just stating the fact that I thought the Mod's were suppose to oversee the boards and not be biased.Your jumpin in and doing the same thing that everyone else is.Your voicing your opinion.But when you disagree,someones being a pussy?I dont get it?

Does Rhodes mince words? Does he not use curse words rather often? Is it not best to deal with everyone in the manner they are most comfortable?

I do most things by design.

ryuage
10-17-2008, 02:00 PM
i know what mcdonalds burgers are made out of

Tennessee Mike
10-17-2008, 02:14 PM

Magic?

Reko
10-17-2008, 03:45 PM

Magic?

Sugar, spice and everything nice?

chris mason
10-17-2008, 04:01 PM

Who cares? I eat hot dogs. They are made of ****, but they taste good and have nutritional value (carbs, fats, etc.).

KarstenDD
10-17-2008, 04:20 PM
Who cares? I eat hot dogs. They are made of ****, but they taste good and have nutritional value (carbs, fats, etc.).

I thought hot dogs were made out of raccoons, rats, pigeons, and boots.

Keith
10-17-2008, 04:21 PM
why get bothered by someone who wants to delve deeper? Calling their interest bull**** is stupid and a pussy move on your part. You get upset at them bugging you, but you then turn around and call everything they are interested in bull****. Your delivery sucks! That is half of your problem. You will say you don't care etc., but then you go on rants about how you don't care. THAT is part and parcel to the issue.

Finally a mod that's willing to speak up on this matter! I'm sick of this guy belittling every damn member who doesn't preach McD's. His arguements never change and neither does his demeanor. What are you here for? To depreciate and attack every member who disagrees with your logic for entertainment? Or to share your knowledge and experience?

chris mason
10-17-2008, 04:22 PM
Finally a mod that's willing to speak up on this matter! I'm sick of this guy belittling every damn member who doesn't preach McD's. His arguements never change and neither does his demeanor. What are you here for? To depreciate and attack every member who disagrees with your logic for entertainment? Or to share your knowledge and experience?

Yes, but read the rest of what I wrote as well.

Keith
10-17-2008, 04:29 PM
Yes, but read the rest of what I wrote as well.

I didn't miss it.

ryuage
10-17-2008, 04:34 PM

whoa now... someone needs to calm down and stop reading these threads. I was just saying in response to another posters "what do they know?" in good fun.

You're letting this thread get to your head... haha, but to answer you question

I care ;)

Tennessee Mike
10-17-2008, 05:40 PM
My final thoughts on this thread(unless someone calls me out).First off,Rhodes started the thread.He was stating a fact that for him,eating Mickey D's wasnt as bad as some of you make it out to be.Those of you that know how he reacts and responds know better than to constantly egg him on.He's gonna speak his mind no matter what.As will I and a host of others.Those of you who are easily offended by our no B.S ways,then dont read and respond to our posts and threads,its that simple.I appreciate someone who challenges the norm.How boring would this site be with everyone comparing notes and agreeing with each other?While I dont condone insulting people because they dont approach their training like you do,I do recognize the trolls who are glutens for punishment.Id really hate to see another "Hardcore" forum go down the ****ter because a few nerdy kids decided to whine about the big mean powerlifter who hurt their feelings.Grow a set of nuts and act like men for once in your life.Stop acting like someone stuck up for you.In the real world,in a real gym,thats how you will be treated and talked to.Get used to it.

To Ox,I meant no disrespect.I was just expressing how I felt.

Keith
10-17-2008, 06:12 PM
Id really hate to see another "Hardcore" forum go down the ****ter because a few nerdy kids decided to whine about the big mean powerlifter who hurt their feelings.Grow a set of nuts and act like men for once in your life.Stop acting like someone stuck up for you.In the real world,in a real gym,thats how you will be treated and talked to.Get used to it.

Who are you referring to?

Who are the nerdy kids that whine who had their feelings hurt that need to grow a set of nuts that need to act like real men in this thread? Don't be shy.

WillNoble
10-17-2008, 06:43 PM

Who are the nerdy kids that whine who had their feelings hurt that need to grow a set of nuts that need to act like real men in this thread? Don't be shy.

obvious troll is obvious

essentialherb08
10-17-2008, 06:55 PM
The Way I See It #280 (from the back of a StarBucks cup)

"You can learn a lot more from listening than you can from talking. Find someone with whom you don't agree in the slightest and ask them to explain themselves at length. Then take a seat, shut your mouth , and don't argue back. It's physically impossible to listen with your mouth open."--John Moe
I think this applies to this whole awesome brain vs brawn thread somewhat. Its balance you got to have both.

All this talk of burgers is making me hungry for some. I'm a do something I aint done in a long time go get me a triple meat triple cheese burger at WhataBurger then McDonalds drive thru n get me a double quarter pounder with bigmac sauce n go chill out n watch a football game. No fries tho starchy carbs aint good to me. But if my eczema acts up I'm a blame it on Rhodes for being such a persuasive A hole. Ya'll are great. Peace out.

Code_B
10-17-2008, 07:09 PM
Seems like there has been some drama come to this thread but since it is about McDonald's I just thought I'd share my favorite thing to get.

Double cheeseburger w/ only lettuce onions and big mac sauce.

You tell the cashier you want just that and you basically get a big mac sans middle bun for only $1. 3 of those was my PWO meal for a while. Get em home and put some crystal's hot sauce on them and it is like the best thing ever.

Tennessee Mike
10-17-2008, 07:24 PM

Dont act tough.Your lat spread doesnt warrant it.I wasnt talkin to you,but I can If you want.

Travis Bell
10-17-2008, 07:35 PM
Guys I'm locking this thread for the time being. Should Daniel or Chris deem it need to be re-opened it shall be. I just think everyone needs to take a step back and look at the big picture for a second. We're getting way off track and its becomming a point where statements are being taken more personally than they should be and in return personal attacks are being said.

Joe Black
10-18-2008, 01:33 AM
I would say we've probably reached about as much of a conclusion as we are going to lol...

You know, for however many insults there were in this thread and for however many pm's went back and forth between people, it actually was pretty fun to read and there are obviously lots of passionate people who believe different things...... and that is GOOD. It creates a healthy discussion!

The key thing to remember is respect. Respect others peoples opinions, even if they vastly different from yours and don't resort to insults. Doing so only takes the thread on a tangent and sometimes gets you in trouble ;)