PDA

View Full Version : Just how important is protein?

yamirider
10-11-2008, 03:12 PM
I never thought I would be asking this question, but here I am. I'm currently going to college and I am LOW on money. I would never consider not taking protein before now, but before now I was at home and I could just have my parents buy my crap for me. However, this is not the case anymroe. If I were to get another tub of protein powder it would mean scraping by on oatmeal and PB & J for the rest of the month. Which I do not think would be conducive to my desire to get more lean. So.....:outnumber:

cphafner
10-11-2008, 03:29 PM
Are you on a meal plan? Are you on a cut? If so, dump the pb&j regardless.

Gable
10-11-2008, 04:02 PM
Walmart has some pretty cheap protein, with creatine in it too, I think..

Sam's club has EAS 100% whey, 6lbs bags for like 30$ too.. I bet you could scrape that up if you needed to..

Point is, there are some cheap sources out there..dont buy a case of Natty light one week and you damn near got a tub of protein right there..

or, if you said mom and dad used to buy it for you when you were at home. Call em up and ask if they'd buy you a tub or two of Nitrean/Opticen, etc.. and have it sent to ya at school..

Good luck.

yamirider
10-12-2008, 04:48 PM
I don't drink at all. I am on a cut.

My parents factored in supplements as part of my budget. Only problem is that times are hard back home and the money that I was supposed to get for supplements got left out....my mom asked if I could do without it and so I said I could.

Whats wrong with PB and J?|

Unreal
10-13-2008, 08:00 AM
You only need a protein supplement if your diet is lacking in protein. What else are you eating and are you getting enough without adding powder?

In college I would have no problem getting enough protein from the cafeteria.

zela
10-13-2008, 03:59 PM
Walmart has some pretty cheap protein, with creatine in it too, I think..

Sam's club has EAS 100% whey, 6lbs bags for like 30$ too.. I bet you could scrape that up if you needed to..

Point is, there are some cheap sources out there..dont buy a case of Natty light one week and you damn near got a tub of protein right there..

or, if you said mom and dad used to buy it for you when you were at home. Call em up and ask if they'd buy you a tub or two of Nitrean/Opticen, etc.. and have it sent to ya at school..

Good luck.

I just bought a tub of EAS at Sams, its now 5lbs for 30 buks!!!! instead of 6lbs!!! nowhere close to the 6lbs for 24 bucks like it used to be! :ninja:

ryuage
10-13-2008, 04:03 PM
I would imagine you would have a meal plan since 99% of freshman's do

growthrep
10-13-2008, 04:04 PM
Why not sign up for your caf's meal plan OR get a job at the caf and stuff your face with real protein instead of powder? In college I actually took a job as an asst cook in the caf while I was lifting and the whole time I was putting away beef, chicken and turkey like there was no tomorrow. Our supervisor let us eat all we wanted.

jimmachak
10-13-2008, 07:56 PM
Bro I would go with the basics to lean out. Baked potato, yams, oatmeal, and rice are all good complex carbs (even trying to lean out you will need some medium/low gi carbs). As far as protein is concerned some simple whey protein powders are cheaper than most meals. Optimum Nutrition's whey at bb.com has a ton of servings and even GNC's own brand has a crapload of servings for the buck. Even consuming 2 shakes a day, eating good carbs, and then throwing in some tuna and buying bulk chicken breasts at Sam's or even Wal-Mart should be cheaper than consuming fast food 1-2 times a day.

That is a good point that the dude stated about the cafeteria plan. You can easily get creative there and get some good grub down the pipe. If you have any questions man pm me...