PDA

View Full Version : too much volume for bench?

roots
10-12-2008, 01:12 PM
i am currently benching twice a week, sundays doing max effort (triples working up to a single), plus close grip bench. On wednesdays i do high rep (three sets of 8) bench. But i havent progressed in over a month. some days, my lifts will go down too, which is frustrating. I s this too much volume? I am thinking of just benching one day per week,and stick to rep range of 5 for 3 or 4 sets, is this better? thanks

Travis Bell
10-12-2008, 02:08 PM
3 sets of 8 is probably not enough volume

Whats your max?

roots
10-12-2008, 05:51 PM
max is 260. should i do 4 sets, or maybe try 4 sets of 5reps with heavier weight?

Travis Bell
10-12-2008, 05:53 PM
Try using around 165-185 for 9-10 sets of 3. Try and go as fast as you can for those 3 reps.

roots
10-12-2008, 06:09 PM
cool thanks, ill give that a try.

smokinHawk
10-13-2008, 06:43 AM
how many total reps do you do?
are you still sore or wore out on your next session of benching?

ruga buga
10-13-2008, 10:04 AM
i would change the wednesday to DE bench as Travis said

roots
10-13-2008, 12:28 PM
how many total reps do you do?
are you still sore or wore out on your next session of benching?

on ME days around 10 reps, not including warmups, plus another 12 from close grip. high rep days are around 24 reps total. and im not sore for any bench session either. Are most of you guys benching twice a week?

Darracq
10-14-2008, 10:23 AM
I feel like a light day is kind of a waste, i would rather just go heavy once every 5 days or so, what ever you can recover from.

Travis Bell
10-14-2008, 10:57 AM
I feel like a light day is kind of a waste, i would rather just go heavy once every 5 days or so, what ever you can recover from.

Yep. Complete waste. Thats why most of the pros use it. They like wasting their time

smokinHawk
10-14-2008, 01:29 PM
on ME days around 10 reps, not including warmups, plus another 12 from close grip. high rep days are around 24 reps total. and im not sore for any bench session either. Are most of you guys benching twice a week?

i have been lately, once focusing more on chest, then the other session focusing on triceps.

doesnt sound like you have to much volume then
what you need is a plan of attack to make yourself stronger, focus on your weak spots and dont hit a heavy single all the time unless you do it in some variation.

abebesheir
10-14-2008, 08:23 PM
I like the idea of a triceps oriented session and one that is more off the chest.
My best progress came when I was benching off a 2 board on Thursdays and benching off the chest on Mondays.
I was able to go fairly heavy with both days and still get enough rest.
My sets/reps were:

BP 3x1 heavy (for you starting at 225-240), then 2x3 t&g (195-210), then 3x3 paused (165-180), then 2x3-5 w/12" grip, then 2x3-5 w/18" grip
Seated OHP 2-3x3-5
Chest Supported Rows
Hammer Curls

2 Board warm up, then 3x3 heavy (about 255 for you)
Nosebreakers- 6x8 or 4x6
Chest Supported Rows
Hammer Curls

Hope that helps...

Darracq
10-15-2008, 09:30 AM
Yep. Complete waste. Thats why most of the pros use it. They like wasting their time

I meant for me.When i try to have a speed day or what ever i still feel tired from my ME day so i have to add rest days then i end up ME bench every 8-10 days. a newer lifter can bench heavy more often i am sure you know that.

Not all the big name guys have a speed day. When you are bench a lot of weight then sure you cant do it very often.

Barbaccio
10-15-2008, 10:44 AM
I don't have a speed day at all. I have a shirt day, and a raw day. BIG doesn't do any speed. They do a bench day, and a tricep day and BOTH days are in shirts. So I gotta disagree with you Travis that speed days are necessary. I think they will help a younger lifter more than an experienced guy, and I think they help more on the squat than the bench.

I do agree that 3x8 isn't enough though. You need to change that around and do 8x3. Get a weight about 70-75% of your one rep, and do 8 sets of 3 for speed. I hate the word speed. It sounds like you should just be going as fast as possible. Think of it this way. If you can bench say 405. Take 285 for 8x3. Work on trying to push that 285 with 405lbs of force. Do it with proper technique but with explosive speed. Do this for about a month or so and see how it effects your bench. If it's still not progressing, it's time to try something else. Keep trying till you figure it out.

Travis Bell
10-15-2008, 11:04 AM
I don't have a speed day at all. I have a shirt day, and a raw day. BIG doesn't do any speed. They do a bench day, and a tricep day and BOTH days are in shirts. So I gotta disagree with you Travis that speed days are necessary. I think they will help a younger lifter more than an experienced guy, and I think they help more on the squat than the bench.

Well I guess I'd have to be in the young and inexperienced category then because I find them to be extremely helpful to my benching :)

Barbaccio
10-15-2008, 12:18 PM
Different strokes man. You of all people know that. What works for some doesn't for others. All they seem to do with me is beat up my wrists and elbows.

Travis Bell
10-15-2008, 12:29 PM
Me of all people? I'm not sure what you mean.

I would be the first to say though that yes, different things work for different people, but to say that DE work works mostly for inexperienced and younger lifters I would not agree with. George Halbert is one of the best benchers I've ever met and does DE work. Greg Panora has a 770lb bench at 242lbs bw, also does speed work. Paul Key, 835lb bench at 308 also is a big proponent of speed benching. I could go on but it doesn't matter.

I could also come up with an equally large list of guys who don't do DE work, such as Rob Luyando, Sean Frankle, etc.

All of the above guys though are very very experienced lifters.

NateD
10-15-2008, 01:07 PM
To the original poster:

Travis has been helping me out for quite a while now and helped me formulate the template that works best for me (bench has increased 80lbs since he started helping me four months ago). I can say that I do at the least double the amount of volume you do for bench. I do over 100 total reps of working sets of pressing exercises per week, not including triceps and dynamic effort bench. I do dynamic effort bench for 9 sets of 3 reps every week with three different grips (really feel that three different grips has been really important for me), I do believe dynamic work has played an important role in my progress. I believe that the use of all three methods to increase strength (max effort, dynamic effort and repetition effort) are each vital and most potent when used in combination with each other, because ever since I implemented this system I've seen my own potential increase dramatically.

jtteg_x
10-15-2008, 04:27 PM
I been following Vincent Dizenzo's platform and have been progressing (although slowly, but I am dropping weight at the same time). DE is just as important as ME days on bench.

http://www.elitefts.com/documents/600lb_raw_bench.htm