PDA

View Full Version : Hockey and Various Muscles

MisterX
10-14-2008, 01:24 PM
I've been dealing with a chronic groin strain for a few months now and am hoping someone can give me a plan on how to strengthen it besides just saying "exercise bike". I'm pretty fast and have good leg strength and balance. I'm also trying to make my shot stronger, which I think is all forearms and shoulders. Thanks in advance.

KingJustin
10-14-2008, 01:29 PM
I'm pretty sure that a shot in hockey is more about rotational strength/power. So it comes a lot from your hips. Kind of like throwing a punch, swinging a golf club, throwing a shotput, etc.

Reko
10-14-2008, 02:07 PM
On the shot, lats for the slapper, forarms and abs for everything else.

On the groin, rest it up (if you can) and strengthen it through squats and one leg squats (or with your opposite leg on a bench, can't think of what they are called).
Step ups will work too.

MisterX
10-14-2008, 09:09 PM

On the groin, rest it up (if you can) and strengthen it through squats and one leg squats (or with your opposite leg on a bench, can't think of what they are called).
Step ups will work too.

hey man, thanks for the advice! Lats, a good suggestion. Shoulders too eh?

Reko
10-14-2008, 09:32 PM
hey man, thanks for the advice! Lats, a good suggestion. Shoulders too eh?

Eh.. Do them becuase oyu should be hitting everything, but I wouldn't put an huge emphasis on them.

legs
hips
abs
lats
rest of back
forarms
chest
shoulders
arms

that would probably be the order i would prioritize. somewhere in there needs to be conditioning like sprints, prowler, sled type stuff.

Tikiman
10-15-2008, 11:09 AM
To get a better shot in hockey, you have to strengthen pretty much everything from the waist up and work on form. Transferring your weight well and learning to use stick flex will help you more than any lifting.

As for the rest, same program as anything else, just don't overdo it during the season. If you can, plyometrics work wonders for skating and rope ladder drills will improve side to side and footwork movement.

Kovalchuk71
10-15-2008, 08:40 PM
Question for strengthening legs. What should I be looking at Rep wise for squats/Deadlifts? You need to have power, but you also need to still have quickness/agility. Is 5 too little? That seems like pure power. Should I look at doing around 7? How about for upperbody exercises? 10 reps work?

Sorry for the threadjack.

Detard
10-15-2008, 09:31 PM
Why not both. Back squats - 5x3, then do front squats - 3x8-10, then maybe some some good mornings, pull throughs, or GHR

KingJustin
10-16-2008, 08:06 PM
Question for strengthening legs. What should I be looking at Rep wise for squats/Deadlifts? You need to have power, but you also need to still have quickness/agility. Is 5 too little? That seems like pure power. Should I look at doing around 7? How about for upperbody exercises? 10 reps work?

Sorry for the threadjack.

I think you are misinterpreting power.

To build power, you want your maximal strength level to go up.

You also want to work on your strength-speed and speed-strength. To work on strength-speed, lift a mildly heavy weight (i.e. 50% 1rm) really fast for like 8x3. To work on speed-strength, do plyometrics -- like box jumps, but focus on something that will carry over for a slap shot.

I would also do Olympic lifts for building power in just about anything.

This doesn't mean that you want to ignore rep work, but you should be using it to achieve your goal of increased maximal strength rather than a goal of its own so to speak.

Bottom line: Conjugate. Do a little of everything each microcycle (each week). Some work >90% 1rm, some rep work, some plyos, some speed work.

Tikiman
10-16-2008, 08:12 PM
I really advise weighted plyos in addition to a good workout regimen. My on ice speed and strength exploded with those. Sure, it's a half an hour of hell, but it's worth it.

For the wrist shot, you can built a pretty simple wrist curl (or w/e you call it) by taking a broken hockey stick, cutting out a 8-10 inch section and drilling a hole through the middle. String a piece of rope through it with a carabiner or similar clip at the end. Then string that through some plates, and you got a nice forearm exercise

http://medball.com/images/images/power_graphics/strength_accessories/wrist_roller100.gif

MisterX
10-20-2008, 05:48 PM
I was having a debate with a friend of mine who also plays. What muscles are most important when flexing your stick on a shot, say a wrist shot? I said it was mostly shoulders with some forearms and he said mostly forearms with some shoulders/chest. Both of us want to build up our shooting strength.

Reko
10-20-2008, 05:51 PM
IT doesn't matter for what you are debating. Just get stronger overall and it will fall into place. I'll repeat it:

egs
hips
abs
lats
rest of back
forarms
chest
shoulders
arms

Prioritize like that.

MisterX
10-20-2008, 07:30 PM
Yeah, I get the idea and appreciate it. I'm focusing on more upper body now and gradually working in lower body. My groin injury is starting to feel better but it needs a couple weeks before I'm 100%, so I'm being careful on the legs. Upper back is taking off though...

Captain_Crunch
10-20-2008, 09:16 PM
I have been training hockey players and teams for three years now and have great sucess with existing groin strains( in keeping the player playing all year ) and preventing them . What we have found is the groin machine you see the ladies using works wonders ( always push focusing on the knees not the feet ) as well as lunges. We train BCHL Junior "A", WHL, NCAA Division 1 and minor hockey teams.

guinea_pig27
12-07-2008, 09:04 PM
I've been dealing with a chronic groin strain for a few months now and am hoping someone can give me a plan on how to strengthen it besides just saying "exercise bike". I'm pretty fast and have good leg strength and balance. I'm also trying to make my shot stronger, which I think is all forearms and shoulders. Thanks in advance.
As for groin strain, I would suggest a leg workout that begins with jogging, then working on squats or leg press. Finally, stretch your hamstrings, quads and calves after your workout. Work on getting more flexible during the stretching part of the workout.

You will also want to stretch before and after you play hockey. A lot of guys will warm up and stretch before playing, but will just skate off the ice, undress, pack up their bag and leave after playing. I used to be that way when I was younger. I will do leg streching routines along the boards while everyone is picking up their extra sticks and pucks now.

AJ_H
12-09-2008, 01:50 PM

Step ups will work too.

one-legged bench squats?

Reko
12-09-2008, 03:43 PM
one-legged bench squats?

One foot on the ground, the other propped behind you on a bench for balance, and you do one legged squats with the foot on the ground.

Kind of like an inplace lunge.

KarstenDD
12-09-2008, 05:02 PM
...one leg squats (or with your opposite leg on a bench, can't think of what they are called).

One foot on the ground, the other propped behind you on a bench for balance, and you do one legged squats with the foot on the ground.

Kind of like an inplace lunge.

Bulgarian split squats?

Step ups will work too.

A step up is fine too.

Reko
12-09-2008, 07:06 PM
Bulgarian split squats?

sure?

A step up is fine too.
Less is more.

pullablank
12-15-2008, 12:32 AM
Just like was already mentioned, split squats, lunges and plyometrics (especially weighted ones) have been the biggest factors to my on-ice speed. I recommend split squats with dumbbells, because once you get tired with one leg up on the bench you're going to want to drop the weight to the floor FAST.

Lats and abs for slap shots, mostly forearms and lots of on-ice practice for wristers and passing. Wrist rollers are amazing for forearm strength, our coach used to have us stick handle as fast as possible back and forth for 30 seconds, rest for a minute, do the wrist roller, then do the stickhandling drill again. The difference was amazing, the stick felt like a twig in my hands.