PDA

View Full Version : First bench shirt

BigTallOx
10-16-2008, 09:30 AM
I found an inzer radical denim open back bench shirt pretty cheap on eBay, so I bought it. This is my first bench shirt, so I'm not really sure if it's the right size or not. ( size 56 with 18" arms ) I played around with it just on my bench at home ( ie I don't have lots of weight at home ), and I could just barely force 185 to touch. I was VERY difficult and I really had to pull the weight down and touch a lot lower on my body than I do raw. Does that sound about right? Or should I not be able to make weight like that touch at all? Also any advice in learning how to best use the shirt would be appreciated.

Travis Bell
10-16-2008, 09:34 AM
LOL no you should not be able to touch 185. Video would really help but my guess is that shirt is far too big on you

drew
10-16-2008, 09:53 AM
For your height/weight without seeing you, a 56 should be a good size. You need someone who knows what they're doing to help you put it on and use it. You probably didn't have it on right.

Please don't bench alone in a shirt.

BigTallOx
10-16-2008, 10:08 AM
For your height/weight without seeing you, a 56 should be a good size. You need someone who knows what they're doing to help you put it on and use it. You probably didn't have it on right.

I do have somebody who knows what they're doing help me with it, but that's not until saturday. I wanted to try to find out before then if the shirt is even close to right.

Please don't bench alone in a shirt.

I wasn't. My wife was there.

BigTallOx
10-16-2008, 10:11 AM
no you should not be able to touch 185. Video would really help but my guess is that shirt is far too big on you

That's what I thought. I'm still gaining though. I guess I just need to wait until saturday so my benching buddies can make sure I've put it on correctly.

Thanks.

NASAKYCHAIRMAN
10-16-2008, 10:17 AM
Definitely, the shirt is way, way to big!!

Inzer can alter the shirt so it will fit you probably.

BigTallOx
10-16-2008, 10:37 AM
Definitely, the shirt is way, way to big!!

Inzer can alter the shirt so it will fit you probably.

OK. Thanks.

Travis Bell
10-16-2008, 10:39 AM
That's what I thought. I'm still gaining though. I guess I just need to wait until saturday so my benching buddies can make sure I've put it on correctly.

Thanks.

For you to be able to effectively learn how to use the shirt you shouldn't be able to touch much less than 250lbs

BigTallOx
10-16-2008, 11:04 AM
For you to be able to effectively learn how to use the shirt you shouldn't be able to touch much less than 250lbs

That's what I wanted to know. Thanks. I think maybe my wife didn't get the back tight enough when she was helping me put it on. I'll just have to wait until saturday when I bench with my buddies.

Travis Bell
10-16-2008, 11:07 AM
Well let us know how it goes Saturday, but if the sleeves weren't seated all the way in your armpits, that only makes it harder to touch so it may be that once you get it on all the way that it'll touch even easier

BigTallOx
10-16-2008, 11:51 AM
Well let us know how it goes Saturday

I will.

but if the sleeves weren't seated all the way in your armpits, that only makes it harder to touch so it may be that once you get it on all the way that it'll touch even easier

That's good to know. At least it can be taken in.

Tennessee Mike
10-16-2008, 01:39 PM
You could cut the back up,or take an inch off the sleeves.It may help with the fit.

BigTallOx
10-16-2008, 02:05 PM
You could cut the back up (snip)

It's already open back.

Tennessee Mike
10-16-2008, 02:07 PM
It's already open back.

HAHA.Yeah Im a lazy reader.

Ryano
10-16-2008, 02:32 PM

Wow! With a raw max of 300, I wouldn't expect him to touch much less than 400 in a properly fitting shirt. I can't even come close to touching my raw max in a single ply, closed back shirt.
BigTallOx, you will have to have a lower touch in shirt than you do raw.

drew
10-17-2008, 05:51 AM
Wow! With a raw max of 300, I wouldn't expect him to touch much less than 400 in a properly fitting shirt. I can't even come close to touching my raw max in a single ply, closed back shirt.
BigTallOx, you will have to have a lower touch in shirt than you do raw.

I've touched 275 in the same shirt that I benched my first 405 with. It's not that hard with a single ply.

sylum
10-17-2008, 06:24 AM
The thing is though...without seeing him bench that 185, he could have very well dumped it...it was only 185....he could have dumped it to touch and still easily put it up. There is a big difference between a 185 dump and a 4-500 dump.

I've seen plenty of guys say "My bench technique is great. I can touch 225"....but yet they bomb at a meet because they can't touch 500????

I would say wait until Saturday when you have someone with shirt experience look at it.

If you need to alter the shirt, you can do it yourself quite easily. I can do it in my sleep now...lol.

Ryano
10-17-2008, 06:34 AM
I've touched 275 in the same shirt that I benched my first 405 with. It's not that hard with a single ply.

If you can touch less than your raw max, I'd say you don't have a properly fitted shirt. Maybe your technique is much better than mine, 'cause I have single ply shirts that I can barely touch high 6's in. It's all about how you wear the shirt, how tight the shirt is, and your technique. Being new to shirts, I'd say that BTO should have a loose shirt, but not loose enough to touch less than his raw max.

BigTallOx
10-18-2008, 02:47 PM
I did my ME bench workout with the group ( only two others were there today, both are experienced benchers ). The shirt isn't too big ( which makes since according to inzer's web page where they say for this shirt add 2" to your chest to get the shirt size ). Anyway, the other day when I was playing around with it, it wasn't pulled down enough. Today there was no way 315 was going to touch. Benching with a shirt is quite a bit different than I expected. Its going to take some time.

Ryano
10-18-2008, 05:38 PM
That's great that you have some shirt experienced lifters with you. Shirted lifting is MUCH different than raw lifting. Welcome to the "Wild Side".

BigTallOx
10-18-2008, 08:09 PM
That's great that you have some shirt experienced lifters with you.

Absolutely. I've only been lifting with them for 3 months, but they've taught me a lot. They're great people and are always willing to help.

Shirted lifting is MUCH different than raw lifting. Welcome to the "Wild Side".

I know I only got a taste of it today, but I think I understand just how different it is. Its way more different than I ever thought it would be. It seems to me anway, technique is HUGE equipped. Its important raw too, but it seems it's way more important equipped. That's my "expert" opinion after just one session in my shirt, LOL.

Any advice in getting used to this shirt will be greatly appreciated.

I'm kind of excited about benching equipped. I have such long arms, that raw I'm never going to have a big bench. But I think if I find the right shirt and learn how to use it to its full advantage, I could actually have a competitive bench ( for my age that is ). That's my hope anyway.

Travis Bell
10-18-2008, 08:14 PM
If you have quality coaches though I think you'll be surprised how easily you can get it to work

You've already learned something! Pull the collar up and its easier to touch. When you get towards your 2nd and 3rd attempts you can pull the collar down and for some of the more crazy attempts