PDA

View Full Version : First Meet Tomorrow

Illinimeats
10-17-2008, 05:33 AM
I have my very first meet tomorrow and I am getting more and more nervious. This has been a goal and dream of mine for a long time. Recently, I droped 130 lbs and was looking for something to keep me in the gym, powerlifting seemed to be a good fit. I've lost so much strength and this will be the beginning of the journey back. I'll have JT there to help me along, he's a good man. I'm already thinking about going to other meets. Wish me luck!

Illinimeats

drew
10-17-2008, 05:39 AM
Good luck bro. Having JT with you will be a huge help. The nerves will always be there, but after you get that first lift in, you should be fine. Most importantly, have fun.

NASAKYCHAIRMAN
10-17-2008, 05:47 AM
It's been a pleasure to help you with your journey!

Look forward to seeing you on the platform tomorrow morning!

Also, don't forget to bring your digital camera to take pictures.

sylum
10-17-2008, 06:27 AM
Good luck!!
Relax, choose smart openers and treat it like a gym day with a lot more training partners :-)

Lewy23
10-17-2008, 08:01 AM
Good luck! Its a rush!!!

Have fun!!

Lewy

Pete22
10-17-2008, 09:00 AM
Good luck and have fun man.

Eric Downey
10-17-2008, 09:13 AM
JT will keep you in line bro. He'll keep you from making those key rookies mistakes. Warming up to early or to late and what not. Goodluck post some vids.

Guido
10-17-2008, 09:56 AM
Illini,

Are you doing the APF Rise of the Deadlift/Beast of the Bench meet? If so, I'll be there, as well!

Illinimeats
10-17-2008, 10:15 AM
Thanks for the well wishes, the meet is a NASA meet in Morehead, KY. I've entered the Novice Push/Pull. I'm taking JT's advice and opening with something I can handle, then going up from there. I'm not looking to set any records, but have fun and meet some folks. After the meet I plan on trying the 30lbs in 30 days workout. I"ll have some solid totals to work with and I plan on competing in Illinois in December. This will be a good test for the workout.

Illinimeats

Reko
10-17-2008, 11:06 AM
Dang, I'm doing a push pull in columbia MO tomorrow too. PPs all over the place this weekend!

Illinimeats
10-17-2008, 01:49 PM
Columbia, MO; I miss Columbia. I lived there for 5 years while working on my PhD at Mizzou. Good luck tomorrow.

Illinimeats

Detard
10-17-2008, 03:26 PM
Good luck dude! Remember, it's what you do. Just lift the weight!

KarstenDD
10-17-2008, 04:22 PM
Good luck man, 6-4-6!

Reko
10-20-2008, 11:24 AM
results?

Cyrus Ford
10-20-2008, 06:10 PM
How did you do?

Illinimeats
10-21-2008, 05:53 AM
Sorry for not posting any results. First off, I had a great time, as I told JT yesterday; "I think I'm hooked!" I won my division, but I was the only one in there. The meet was small, 20 lifters, and had a very family friendly atmosphere. My meet was frustrating and enlightening at the same time. I was entered in the push/pull, novice division. My openers were light; my first and third benches were red lighted for lifting my butt off the bench. But the weight felt light. I never knew I lifted my butt off the bench, usually anywhere I plant my butt it doesn't move. Now I have something to work on before the next meet. Deadlift went well, hit all three attempts; opened light and hit my goal on the 3rd lift. The problem was I felt I had 30 to 50 more pounds in my DL. I'm going to do this again, in fact I'm going to enter the NASA meet in Illinois in December. I have some things to work on, I need to keep my butt on the bench and try to tap into the "rush". I spent most of the time confused on where to go.

Thanks for all the well wishs and interest in how I did. And a special thanks to JT for guiding me and helping me out. We'll hit Qudoba's for lunch Friday.

Illinimeats

Reko
10-21-2008, 07:39 AM
What weights? Any vids?

NASAKYCHAIRMAN
10-22-2008, 07:59 AM
I'm glad that you enjoyed the experience. It will only get better with time. See you on Friday.