PDA

View Full Version : CNS Fatigue

speed_expert
10-18-2008, 08:59 PM
Speed work taxes the CNS heavily. Up there with speed work is plyometrics.

Now lifting is CNS intensive, not as taxing as speed work or plyos, but still up there. Most taxing lift is probably the deadlift.

You require 48 hours to recover following anything which stimulates the CNS. Therefore speed work/plyos should be done once every 48 hours at max.

Something good to know, is that you CAN lift on same days as plyos and speed. Yes you will get biggest, faster and stronger and WONT overtrain by doing all three in the same day.

Sensei
10-18-2008, 09:10 PM
Something good to know, is that you CAN lift on same days as plyos and speed. Yes you will get biggest, faster and stronger and WONT overtrain by doing all three in the same day.
I don't necessarily disagree, but I think there would be plenty of fools that will (and do) take this waaaay too far. I don't know why this thought requires a thread of its own...

speed_expert
10-18-2008, 09:16 PM
I don't necessarily disagree, but I think there would be plenty of fools that will (and do) take this waaaay too far. I don't know why this thought requires a thread of its own...

what is the idea behind your disagreement? 20 touches of plyos + 400m of speed total will tax your CNS however "the cup" analogy now comes into play. Your cup has filled up after doing plyos and speed however the controlled volume still leaves room for CNS intensive work (lifting) before it fills all the way to the top.

Sensei
10-18-2008, 09:26 PM
The "idea behind my disagreement" is that there are plenty of coaches who go crazy w. plyos, agility and speed work, and on top of that mess add cleans, squats, and DLs. Somehow, kids being the ridiculously resilient beasts they are still make progress and some even thrive despite the beat-downs which only serves to, ironically, add credibility to these idiots' programming...

I have no idea what you mean by "the cup"...

speed_expert
10-18-2008, 09:35 PM
The "idea behind my disagreement" is that there are plenty of coaches who go crazy w. plyos, agility and speed work, and on top of that mess add cleans, squats, and DLs. Somehow, kids being the ridiculously resilient beasts they are still make progress and some even thrive despite the beat-downs which only serves to, ironically, add credibility to these idiots' programming...

I have no idea what you mean by "the cup"...

im sorry mistake on my part I didnt read your last post correct where you said you dont neccesarily disagree.

I agree with what you say..coaches use mad high volumes of plyos combined with sprinting and still recieve results from the highly gifted kids. However improper amounts of volume over so long without focus on developing mechanical deficiences, and without adequate recovery, over time breaks down raw talent.

The cup is a advanced analogy used for the CNS, basically you start off fresh in a training day with no CNS fatigue, then you start high intensity work and "the cup" fills up slowly depending on your level and the intensity of your work, the cup is the increasing CNS fatigue, if it overflows, then you're over training.