PDA

View Full Version : Journal of a Lifter

AJ_H
10-19-2008, 09:09 AM
...So I would have liked to call this thread 'Journal of a Powerlifter' because I train in that style but I figure you have to earn that title. Well anyway a little background info: as well as being passionate about my lifting I'm also a musician and I play orchestral percussion (xylophone, military snare drum, timpani, etc.), drum kit and piano. I live in England in the UK and ... well I wanna get real huge and real strong so I figured powerlifting would be the best bet seeing as how I wanna be able to actually use the muscle I build - as a guy on here said 'I don't wanna look like I can move the house, I wanna move the ****ing house'.

Well anyway's I've been on here for quite a while ... too long in fact I should have started up a journal ages ago and now people can say 'You ain't eatin enough' or 'You ain't pushin hard enough in the gym goddamnit' whenever I start slackin off so please feel free to criticize me and for the love of god, don't hold back. Another quote: 'if you don't have anything negative or hate-filled to contribute to this thread, then don't say anything at all' I also plan on getting some videos up here at some point so people can critique my form but it probably won't be for a while: I need to a) get some better equipment (a cam corder), b) organise it all since I lift at the gym, not home and c) learn to use a bloody computer!

Well anyway that's the introduction to my journal feel free to comment on here or don't bother at all if you don't feel like but really, I'm looking for feedback.

AJ_H
10-19-2008, 09:33 AM
By the way, I will also use nice big letters and colours because I will probably bored and also because I don't want you guys to have to go through pages and pages of 'barbell curls 50 x 8 x 5, dips 75 x 3 x 2' etc. - its gonna be easy to read :P

So here's today's routine:

ME LOWER

Squats

Warm-up: bar x 10
135 x 10
140 x 8
145 x 5
155 x 3
175 x 3 (old pr)

Working sets: 185 x 3 (pr = + 10 ... and I know you guys can count, sorry)
185 x 2 (helped up on the third rep)
185 x 1

Deadlifts

Warm-up: 145 x 10
? x 8 (I forgot)
? x 5
? x 3 (Can't even remember if i did this)

Working Set: 265 x 3 x 1 (pr = +2 reps)

GHRS (on a lat pulldown): bodyweight x 8 (with light push of floor, then I got a cramp in my left calve)
bodyweight x 5

Weighted Hypers: +135 x 8
+135 x 8

Barbell Lunges (this was embarassing): 135 lbs for ? very wobbly reps, then I gave up - not done this before

Abdominal pull downs: forgot to do

NOTES: As you can see, I don't have a very good memory :P which is probably why I should bring a note pad to the gym, but I really can't be bothered. However the numbers I did write in were definitely correct. I also forgot my belt - so all the liftsw were raw...not that I have a squat suit or anything like that anyway. But i did borrow some chalk off somebody...

Anyway today was a pretty awesome workout because I met two powerlifter dudes and we all deadlifted together. The one of them got 5 plates for three reps and I was basically gobsmacked. Will definitely come back here at 2 p.m. on a sunday every week. Oh yeah ... and I couldn't find any colours ...sorry...

AJ_H
10-21-2008, 03:09 PM
Deload bench day: (all with light weight)

Bench: 110 x 3 x 3
120 x 3 x 6

Chin-ups: 1 x 10 (shoulda just done 8)
1 x 6
1 x 4

Triceps pushdowns: 55 x 8, 6, 4

H- Rolls: 25 x 8 x 3
Preacher curls 17.5 x 12 x 3

AJ_H
10-24-2008, 09:04 AM
Deload Lower Body (wed.):

Squats: 175 x 9 x 3

Deads: 220 x 9 x 3

Ab Pulldowns: 6 x 8

Short workout I know

AJ_H
10-24-2008, 05:13 PM
MAXIMUM EFFORT UPPER:

Bench: w-up - 110 x 5, 120 x 4 (spotter ****ed me up, giving me help when I didn't need it, and didn't even ask him to spot :bang:)
OH Press: 90 x 3 x 3
Yates Rows: 140 x 3 x 5 (aah I can row more than I can bench!!)
Dips: +22 x 2 x 5, +22 x 4 (didn't quite make it)

AJ_H
10-27-2008, 08:00 AM
MAX EFFORT LOWER (SUNDAY):

Squats: w-up to 185 x 5
Deads: w-up to 265 x 3 (was hoping for 5)

Had a pathetic attempt at some assistance exercises but was too knackered.

AJ_H
11-01-2008, 06:57 AM
Ok guys so I changed my routine to something a little more simple basically just:

Sunday: Squats & assistance
Wednesday: Bench & assistance
Friday: Deadlift & assistance

AJ_H
11-01-2008, 07:10 AM
Wednesday (Bench & Assistance)

Bench: 140 x 3
OH Press: 100 x 3
100 x 2 x 2
Dips: + 15 x 3 x 8

AJ_H
11-01-2008, 07:12 AM
Friday (Deadlift &Assistance)

Deadlift: 275 x 3 (+ 10 pr)
Yates Rows: 155 x 3 x 5
Shrugs: 155 x 3 x 10

AJ_H
11-02-2008, 10:26 AM
Squats - 220 x 1 x 1
Leg curls - 65 x 3 x 8
Donkey Calf Raises - 350 x 3 x 8

AJ_H
11-02-2008, 10:37 AM
some kids ripped the seat off my bike today so it made it a lil hard getting back from the gym ...

Virtron
11-03-2008, 06:32 PM
hey...

My bench press was 120 when I started out. I weigh 145-150. The thing is. With being sick and not working out for two weeks from a stomach virus. I was able to achieve a bench of 165. Now, I'm not here to brag. I'm here to help. Your assistance for your bench is not good enough. You need to hit those triceps hard. Take a dumbbell and do 4-5 sets of 8 reps with it. Dumbbell extensions. They are key. That or skull crushers. Usually if its an annoying exercise or its hard. Then thats what you gotta do. I hated lat pulldowns because they exhausted me. After three months, its worth it. Just a tip about skull crushers. When you bring the bar down to your head, make sure its more than an inch away from your skull. Any lower will cause unnecessary pain in the elbows. Also, for us weak benchers. When we get stronger triceps we tend to forget about the shoulders. REAR DELT RAISES! They are your friend. Oh and as far as the way you bench. I would warm up to a max 2-3 reps. 1 set is fine. Do it every week and add 5 pounds until you slow down. Then I would do flat bench one week and incline another. Give it a try. If you need more help. PM me. I would have loved someone to give me advice when I was starting. So, I'm doing that.

AJ_H
11-09-2008, 03:55 PM
Tuesday: Benching - missed

Friday: Deadlifting -

Deadlift: 280 x 3 x3 (pr)
yates rows: 135 x 3 x 7 (working on form - lowered the weight a little)
seated row: 140 x 3 x 10
shrugs: 175 x 3 x 8

AJ_H
11-09-2008, 04:01 PM
Sunday: Squatting -

Squat - 220 x 1 x2 (missed on 3rd rep...still a pr. FORM!! knees keep coming inwards ... I'm thinking maybe a glute and hams weakness?)
215 x 3 x 3
Leg extensions: 265 x 6 x 5 (yeah, I know pretty shameful ...)
Leg curls: 85 x 3 x 5 (I'm DEFINITELY thinking a hams weakness but I have NO idea how they got THAT weak ... what do you guys think?)
Donkey Calf-raises: 350 x 3 x 12

AJ_H
11-09-2008, 04:04 PM
hey...

My bench press was 120 when I started out. I weigh 145-150. The thing is. With being sick and not working out for two weeks from a stomach virus. I was able to achieve a bench of 165. Now, I'm not here to brag. I'm here to help. Your assistance for your bench is not good enough. You need to hit those triceps hard. Take a dumbbell and do 4-5 sets of 8 reps with it. Dumbbell extensions. They are key. That or skull crushers. Usually if its an annoying exercise or its hard. Then thats what you gotta do. I hated lat pulldowns because they exhausted me. After three months, its worth it. Just a tip about skull crushers. When you bring the bar down to your head, make sure its more than an inch away from your skull. Any lower will cause unnecessary pain in the elbows. Also, for us weak benchers. When we get stronger triceps we tend to forget about the shoulders. REAR DELT RAISES! They are your friend. Oh and as far as the way you bench. I would warm up to a max 2-3 reps. 1 set is fine. Do it every week and add 5 pounds until you slow down. Then I would do flat bench one week and incline another. Give it a try. If you need more help. PM me. I would have loved someone to give me advice when I was starting. So, I'm doing that.

hey, I've been actually been meaning to do some skull crushers for ages, but the dips usually knacker the tris out so I'm waiting till they can handle a lil more volume or maybe do them instead somedays. Also I prefer barbell rows over lat pulldowns. I would also rather do chins or pullups than those, but thanks for the advice.

AJ_H
11-14-2008, 01:56 PM
so benching tuesday...

bench: 145 x 2 (spotter assisted on 3rd rep), x 1, x1. (will down the weight next week)
cable flyes: 55 x 3 x 8 (****ty order, yeah I know)
OH press: 90 x 2 x 2 (because I did cable flyes before)
Dips: bodyweight x 3 x 7 (again could not attach weight due to muck up of order)

called it a day. pretty awful workout.

AJ_H
11-14-2008, 01:57 PM
today, missed deadlifting.

AJ_H
11-16-2008, 09:06 AM
so today - squatting & deadlifting (since I missed deading on fri)

concentric squats: 175 x 3 x 3 (not done before)
DL: 285 x 1 x 1 (could have done 3 but today was not a good day still, new pr nonetheless)

AJ_H
11-18-2008, 12:32 PM
tues. - benching ... missed. I cycled all the way over to the gym then found out I forgot my bike key, so I came back. I'm gonna do some bodyweight stuff instead.

AJ_H
11-21-2008, 04:01 PM
if your interested see this thread: http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=118052 it's what I did on tuesday

fri. deadlifting... 285 x 2 x 2 (had someone come up to me and say 'you know you could slip your disk doing that' and that I should use less weight, referring to his lower back. Then he informed me that 'you know that's two times your body weight' with which I retorted 'is it? that's very interesting.' and continued with my sets. he later told me 'not to be cheeky'. f&@er.) 285 x 1 (probably would have made 2 if I hadn't been distracted).
bent over rows: 135 x 3 x 8
chin ups, 3 x 6

Dgro
11-22-2008, 05:39 PM
fri. deadlifting... 285 x 2 x 2 (had someone come up to me and say 'you know you could slip your disk doing that' and that I should use less weight, referring to his lower back. Then he informed me that 'you know that's two times your body weight' with which I retorted 'is it? that's very interesting.' and continued with my sets. he later told me 'not to be cheeky'. f&@er.)

lmao -- i've gotten that talk before

AJ_H
11-24-2008, 03:25 PM
sunday: benching (changed round for better recovery between squatting and deading)
bench - 135 x 2 x 3 (yeah I know I went down...been stuck on this weight for a while and got fed up)
dips - (+ 45) x 3 x 3
OH Press - 90 x 3 x 3 (1st set was a little wobbly because it felt a little heavier than I expected it to)
skull crushers - 65 x 4 x 10 (had hoped to do 6 sets but no cigar. I think the bar I used (EZ) weighed 22 but not sure)
lateral raises - 20 x 4 x 10 (again hoped to do 6 sets...never mind)

looking back I think it was a pretty decent workout.

Virtron
11-25-2008, 07:44 AM
if your interested see this thread: http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=118052 it's what I did on tuesday

fri. deadlifting... 285 x 2 x 2 (had someone come up to me and say 'you know you could slip your disk doing that' and that I should use less weight, referring to his lower back. Then he informed me that 'you know that's two times your body weight' with which I retorted 'is it? that's very interesting.' and continued with my sets. he later told me 'not to be cheeky'. f&@er.) 285 x 1 (probably would have made 2 if I hadn't been distracted).
bent over rows: 135 x 3 x 8
chin ups, 3 x 6

The guys in my gym are arrogant enough to come up and say "NO YOU DO LIKE DIS!" and they try to do it. I just smile and nod. Just smile and nod... smile and nod.:nod:

AJ_H
11-28-2008, 04:30 PM
question: is manuelsweb a decent site for converting kg - lb?

tuesday: back to ordinary squatting

squatting ... 210 x 3 x 3 (working on those knees, lowered the weight a little)
straight legged deadlifts ... 200 x 3 x 8 (could have done more only for trouble with grip)
attempted to do step-ups with some dumbbells on a step-up machine but gave up. gym needs a box so I can do real step-ups.

friday: deadlifting
deadlifting 285 x 1 x 3 (tried for a second set but just wasn't happening today)
barbell rows 135 x 3 x 6 (did two less reps as I felt last week the form went slightly wrong towards the end)
chin-ups + 35 x 2 x 3
shrugs 200 x 3 x 10 (grip was going but then I tried it with a mixed grip and it was fine)
barbell curls 45 x 1 x 9, 45 x 1 x 6, 45 x 1 x 5. (shoulda probably just started with 5-7 reps then I'd have got them all in...oh well its only curls)

AJ_H
11-30-2008, 09:56 AM
The guys in my gym are arrogant enough to come up and say "NO YOU DO LIKE DIS!" and they try to do it. I just smile and nod. Just smile and nod... smile and nod.:nod:

:nod:

Today: BENCHING

Benching: 140 x 2 x 2
OH press: 100 x 2 x 3 (lifted in a different style with the weight higher up rather than resting on the shoulders. Should increase in weight quite quickly over the next few weeks.)
Dips: + 22 x 3 x 6
Chest Flyes: 25 (?) x 3 x 8

So I have a system sorted: for benching, deadlifting, squatting and OH pressing I will do 2 sets of 3 reps in week one, then week two I will add roughly 2.5 lbs (1.25kg) and narrow it down to 2 sets of 2 reps to make sure I can keep up, then week three I will lift the same weight but for 2 sets of 3 reps and continue for however long I'll be able to keep that up.

Also my routine will consist of the 'core' lifts at the beginning (deadlift or squat or bench AND OH press) for 2 x 2-3 for strength purposes and I will then proceed to do assistance exercises for 3 x 6-12 for hypertrophy purposes. That way I have a powerbuilding medium. That's the plan, wish me luck.

AJ_H
12-02-2008, 03:33 PM
Squat (yeah mama!) - 215 x 2 x 2
Straight-Legs - 225 x 3 x 8
Ab-pulldowns - 3 x 8 (found out that its easier to do with a lat-pulldown bar rather than a rope but it also puts loadsa stress on the elbows. Suggestions??)
Leg Curls 3 x 6, (partial reps, woooooh. Will lower weight 22lb next week).

AJ_H
12-02-2008, 03:33 PM
oh yeah, made it to the second page of the journal.

bruno77
12-02-2008, 08:38 PM
some nice stuff mate. im about where you are.. so its good to read some of your stuff. keep it up

AJ_H
12-04-2008, 01:54 PM
some nice stuff mate. im about where you are.. so its good to read some of your stuff. keep it up

ah thanks. got a journal?

AJ_H
12-04-2008, 02:40 PM
here's some progress pics, in order of: chest before, chest 1-2 months later, chest more recently, back before, back more recently.

AJ_H
12-04-2008, 02:44 PM
legs before(right, then left), legs now (front quads pose or whatever it's called)

AJ_H
12-05-2008, 02:48 PM
so today ... DEADLIFT. 5.12.08 - got some videos today. will be posting them soon, once I get them onto youtube. for some reason my computer's not uploading the videos off my camera, but once I get that all sorted out, I'm gonna post them up here and maybe in the pics and video section. Was a pretty decent deadlift session considering I had a nasty cough.

DEADLIFT: 290 x 2 x 3. (PR think I might have cocked up with the loading of the bar in that I loaded an extra 5 on the right side...ouch. Good news - I'm actually rounding my back less than I thought I was. In fact there might not have been issues with that at all. Another guy told me I should lower the weight more slowly, therefore using less weight.)
BENT-OVER ROWS - 135 x 2 x 10, 135 x 1 x 8 (form started to slip towards the end of each set a lil. I can see that on the camera too.)
HANG CLEANS - 135 x 1 x 4 (failed on the fifth. First rep was a power clean, not a hang clean. Form was fairly decent for someone who is not coached I thought. went for a second set but couldn't get it up.)
CHIN-UPS - [bw + 45] x 0 (just wasn't happening today. Probably the cough ... ahh I'm making excuses.)

AJ_H
12-07-2008, 07:57 AM
So I managed to edit all of the videos and have them all on one video but when I uploaded it on youtube it only showed the rows. I'm working on it now, I WILL post friday's video soon. I also recorded today's benching session but only the one set because my camera ran out of battery. Will post that here soon as well.

So today's Benching: 140 x 1 x 2 (failed on the 3rd rep. beginning to hate benching.)
Push Press: 90 x 2 x 3 (went quite well but maybe wasn't as 'smooth' as it should be - I'm using triple leg extension and when I catch the weight overhead, my arms aren't locked out so I have to put in extra work to lock them out. I figure if I can get this right or build up more lockout strength I should be able press a heap more.)
Dips: [bw + 45] x 2 x 3 (at first it felt a bit rough on the shoulders but then I stretched them a little, tried it again and it was fine.)

AJ_H
12-12-2008, 02:55 PM
Today: Deadlifting: 305 x 1 x 1 (PR!!!! - unfortunately I did not get a very good angle on the plates so I can't exactly proove I did it...next week though, if I can manage it another time. Again I will be getting a few videos on youtube just having a bit of difficulty at the moment.)
Pendlay Rows: 135 x 3 x 10 (still going light for form but was starting to improve today - first two sets, back was rounding a bit but then I managed to arch it more or less perfectly for the final set. Switched from 'bodybuilding' type (Yates) rows to pendlay rows, explosively off the floor).
Power Cleans 135 x 1, was too tired to perform again
Chin Ups [bw + 45] x 1 (I have done three before, I swear!)

AJ_H
12-12-2008, 03:27 PM
I'm a genius - here's today's deadlift: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=LJ1AadO9kWs

more to come later. form critique would be much appreciated, cheers.

AJ_H
12-16-2008, 02:50 PM
Squat: 200 x 3, x 2, x 1 (did it ATF. Somebody spotted me which always seems to mess up my lifts ...ah well never mind.)

AJ_H
12-19-2008, 12:10 PM
20 Rep Squat Workout

Squat - 135 x 20 - didn't see jesus towards the end of the set, gotta use more weight.
Bench - 120 x 2 x 6
Deadlift - was gonna do 270 for 2 sets of 3 but legs were already shaking with the 225 warm-up.

More videos to come. Having a little trouble with the camera at the moment.

Ben Moore
12-19-2008, 12:36 PM
I'm a genius - here's today's deadlift: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=LJ1AadO9kWs

Get your hips down and shoulders back.

AJ_H
12-19-2008, 12:40 PM
Get your hips down and shoulders back.

oh I know, don't worry. Nevertheless, it is an honour to have you post in my journal, thanks.

Painzer
01-03-2009, 06:32 PM

What Ben already said. When you get close to the lockout you need to throw your hips forward. Hump the bar. It'll make the lockout a lot easier. And you really need to get your ass down, you're gonna hurt your back pulling like that.

AJ_H
01-04-2009, 03:26 PM
Not lifted a lil while because I've been on holiday for a fortnight but here's the last session:

SATURDAY: FULL BODY

SQUAT: 175 x 1 x 8
BENCH: 110 x 1 x 8
DEADLIFT: 275 x 1 x 3
SPLIT JERK: 110 x 1 x 3

Went easy on it today since the gap in lifting.

Coke
01-05-2009, 04:30 AM
Doing very well man, don't let up on your goal to get big and strong.

AJ_H
01-09-2009, 06:27 AM
Thursday: Squats

Squat: 225 x 1 x 1(paralleled it)
Hang Cleans: 135 x 1 x 5

AJ_H
01-09-2009, 09:45 AM
http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showpost.php?p=2033577&postcount=14

what do you think? are my hams weak? should I change anything to improve that or should I just keep going like I am?

Cheers AH

AJ_H
01-11-2009, 08:06 AM
Today: Deadlift

Deadlift: 280 x 1 x 5 (felt I had more juice in the tank but was working on form...)
Hang Cleans: 135 x 2 x 5

AJ_H
01-18-2009, 09:22 AM
missed squatting on tuesday. Friday, hit the deads again:

Deadlift: 295 x 1 x1
Hang Cleans: 135 x 1 x 3 (this was going to be a warm-up set, but I couldn't manage any more weight when I came to the working set, so I did less reps on this than I could have managed)
Bent Over Barbell Rows: 135 x ? x roughly ten (explosive, off the floor)

After my back felt a bit funny, maybe to do with a slip in form or to do with doing 3 back exercises, 2 of them explosive altogether or maybe because I rushed through the warm-up sets a little bit or maybe a combination of all three. I did this on friday and its sunday today. My back is alright but I need to keep it easy for a couple more days, maybe a week, so I'm missing benching today since I bench with an arched back and do OH press standing. See you in a week or so.

AJ_H
03-07-2009, 02:18 PM
not lifted for ages due to minor back injury then snowboarding in canada but am back on track.

AJ_H
03-07-2009, 02:21 PM
DEADLIFT: 275 x 1 (used light weight due to injury andd nearly 7 weeks off, etc.)
CHINS: + 45 x 1

had a go at the boxing bag cause I felt like it :bash:

slashkills
03-07-2009, 02:33 PM
http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showpost.php?p=2033577&postcount=14

what do you think? are my hams weak? should I change anything to improve that or should I just keep going like I am?

Cheers AH

Im not positive but im pretty sure it is a hamstring weakness. I would ditch the leg curls and start doing stiff leg deadlifts. They are a great hamstring exercise.Is there anyway you can get a video of some squats for us? Keep up the work man!

AJ_H
03-07-2009, 04:08 PM
Im not positive but im pretty sure it is a hamstring weakness. I would ditch the leg curls and start doing stiff leg deadlifts. They are a great hamstring exercise.Is there anyway you can get a video of some squats for us? Keep up the work man!

yeah I ditched the leg curls ages ago and actually been doin stiff-legs from time to time (only a few posts in here but a month or two in actual life). As for the squats not sure when I can get a video but will get one asap. Hopefully I'll be able to squat 225 for 2, maybe 3 reps next time round:strong:

thanks for the input man

AJ_H
03-08-2009, 07:08 AM
BENCH: 155 x 1 x 1(pr and broke a mental plateau)
DIPS: 45 x 1 x 2

AJ_H
03-18-2009, 04:34 PM
SQUAT: 200 x 1 x1 (barely managed yet I got 225 before injury)
STRAIGHT-LEGS: 225 X 2 X 8 (planned to do 3 sets but was knackered)

Thought I got some videos in but I just found out at the end of the workout it hadn't been recording at all (new camera):mad:

AJ_H
03-22-2009, 07:05 AM
BENCH: 160 x 1 x 1 (another pr but i suspect that my spotter may have had his fingers on the bar. I was too polite to ask however)
OH PRESS: 90 x 1 x 4 (upped the weight to 110 and missed so I gave up and didn't do any real working sets)
DIPS: + 22 x 3 x 8

AJ_H
03-25-2009, 07:55 AM
yesterday:

SQUAT: 175 X 1 X 5
(had another pathetic attempt at barbell lunges)
ROMANIAN DEADLIFTS: 225 X 1 X 8

AJ_H
03-25-2009, 07:58 AM
i did manage to video those squats after all will post them asap

AJ_H
03-29-2009, 07:36 AM
BENCH: 145 x 3 ( piece of cake. should have gone for 5 really but i was unsure because the warm-up sets felt heavier than usual)
HAND-STAND PUSH-UPS: bw x 3 x 5 (can anyone recommend a good warm-up for the wrists because I would have done some dips after but my wrists were sore).

AJ_H
03-31-2009, 03:11 PM
SQUAT: 200 x 3 x 3 (did not video will get videos from last squat workout over the weekend).

AJ_H
04-05-2009, 04:32 AM
RACK PULL: 305 x 1 x 2 (initially began with full range but my back awkward even with just 135. gotta heal up first)
CHINS: [+35] x 1 x 2 (tried 45 and failed epically)
GMS: NIL (tried good mornings but again back felt awkward with just the warm up. Think I need to do the good morning stretch so it can work in a full ROM again that should sort it out.)
BB CURLS: ? x 2 X 5 (they have their use once in a while)

AJ_H
04-08-2009, 04:19 AM
SQUAT: 200 x 3 x 3 (got videos, will be posted eventually)

Looking over the videos I noticed some form errors regarding depth. I'm getting fed up of this squat malarkey: so fed up I'm going to go to the gym every day and squat until (a) my form is reasonable, and (b) I stop passing off a few *pussy* reps with weight that I could lift for twice as many reps as a squatting session and start lifting some real weight. Despite all my complaining, it wasn't actually that bad and I felt like I was actually going somewhere with them, I just need to take some time to really master my squatting and I'm not worried about overtraining from squatting each day for a while either. Wish me luck

AJ_H
04-12-2009, 07:14 AM
(Friday):
SQUAT: 195 x 3 x 3

AJ_H
06-10-2009, 08:52 AM
Well, I have been lifting some since I last posted, just not been posting it in here or been lifting as frequently due to exams and life in general, but I recently tried for a new PR and failed. Nevertheless I am happy because I filmed it and know for certain it was a parallel squat.

SQUAT:200 x 1
225 x 1
235 x 0
vid (you may skip to 0:48):v=4WXg7NCZelg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WXg7NCZelg

(Form: I believe my knees are coming in during the ascent despite my best efforts. Still, this has improved somewhat. As for a narrowgrip on the bar: as you can see, I can bring my hands in very close quite comfortably... I can even just about squeeze my arms past my biceps so my thumb brushes my shoulder ... perhaps this is a little extreme, I mean I have read that you are supposed to bring your hands in as close as possible during a squat but I'm sure this must be too far. . Also I have seen videos of westside lifters with their hands right on the ends of the bar...what gives?)

BB ROWS:135 x 3 x 6 (I caught a video of one set but unfortunately the video angle was too low, and you could not see whether I was arching my back or not, so I won't bother posting. On a side note, I noticed that the reps weren't so high as I got to the end of each set.)

HYPEREXTENSIONS: bw + 145 dumbbell x 3 x 8

Sensei
06-10-2009, 02:08 PM
Looked pretty good to me.

IMHO, your set-up needs a lot of work - set the pins a hole lower and get tight as hell before you unrack it. Make sure you are tight as hell again before you start squatting. Hand position is too close - move the hands out just a little and see how that feels.

You are shifting under the weight a lot and that could be really bad - drop the weight a little. When heavy triples are solid form-wise, then it would be all right to hit singles again.

AJ_H
06-11-2009, 03:05 PM
Looked pretty good to me.

IMHO, your set-up needs a lot of work - set the pins a hole lower and get tight as hell before you unrack it. Make sure you are tight as hell again before you start squatting. Hand position is too close - move the hands out just a little and see how that feels.

You are shifting under the weight a lot and that could be really bad - drop the weight a little. When heavy triples are solid form-wise, then it would be all right to hit singles again.

Thanks a bunch... I asked Sensei to critique my squat form via PM. I took on board what you said about doing triples for the time being rather than singles, and today I benched for 3 reps, though far from perfect form, of course. Just one thing, I'm not entirely sure what you mean about 'shifting under the weight'? If you would care to elaborate, that would be greatly appreciated, thanks a lot.

Today's lifting is as follows:

BENCH: 135 x 3
145 x 2 (miss on the third) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGedjIjXJk0
135 x 3
(would have gotten sufficient volume had it not been for the miss)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5SvRKvBkoo

OH PRESS 90 x 1 x 5 (had planned to take more sets but I knew it just wouldn't happen) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktycAR2i3gQ&feature=channel_page
SHRUGS 3 x 8
DUMBBELL RAISES (all angles) 3 sets
TRICEPS EXTENSIONS 2 x 10

Travis Bell
06-11-2009, 09:39 PM
Hey AJ, what I'm going to say is just about what Sensei said about your squat (which he's exactly spot on about).

Set the rack one hole lower. Reason is, you get all nice and set up, but then the rack is so high that you have to come out of position to be able to unrack the weight. That's bad.

The other thing, try and get something to arch over, like a PVC pipe or something. Start with like 2" diameter pipe and shoot from there, but slowly increase the quality of that arch.

Elbow position looked solid on the first rep, but watch how they flare out on the second very early and it makes the second rep go up slower and then on the third they flare even earlier which causes you to miss the rep.

Many times this is caused by a) not utilizing your lats near enough and b) a weak upper back. You need to have strong triceps and upper back, otherwise your body will naturally just shift the weight back on to your shoulders which isn't what works for 90% of people

AJ_H
06-12-2009, 02:46 PM
Hey AJ, what I'm going to say is just about what Sensei said about your squat (which he's exactly spot on about).

Set the rack one hole lower. Reason is, you get all nice and set up, but then the rack is so high that you have to come out of position to be able to unrack the weight. That's bad.

The other thing, try and get something to arch over, like a PVC pipe or something. Start with like 2" diameter pipe and shoot from there, but slowly increase the quality of that arch.

Elbow position looked solid on the first rep, but watch how they flare out on the second very early and it makes the second rep go up slower and then on the third they flare even earlier which causes you to miss the rep.

Many times this is caused by a) not utilizing your lats near enough and b) a weak upper back. You need to have strong triceps and upper back, otherwise your body will naturally just shift the weight back on to your shoulders which isn't what works for 90% of people

hey...thanks.

today's light recovery session:

HIGH BAR "OLYMPIC" (FULL BUT NOT HAMSTRINGS TO CALVES FULL - NOT ENOUGH FLEXIBILITY) SQUATS (QUADS ENDURANCE EXERCISE), VERY LIGHT - 135 x 1 x 12, 135 x 2 x 8

DEADLIFTS FOR SPEED 15 x 1 @ 65% (200lbs)

HYPERS 45 x 2 x 8

AJ_H
06-15-2009, 04:01 PM
DEADLIFT: 110kg/250lbs x 3
120kg/275lbs x 3
110kg/250lbs x 3

"ROUNDED" BACK GOOD MORNINGS (back actually had a tendency to straighten out before the lift, new to this exercise) PERFORMED OFF PINS: 60kg/135lbs x 8
60kg/135lbs x 7

PULLTHROUGHS (was expecting this to be more glutes/hams, but it was actually more low back, well at least for me anyway. Good exercise): 41.25kg/92.5lbs x 3 x 8

CHINS: 3 x 6

Vids to come soon.

AJ_H
06-16-2009, 07:20 AM
Ok, vids:

Deadlift, 110 kg x 3 (back slightly rounded on 1st and 2nd reps, sorted for 3rd reps): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEqQzrUxIaE

Deadlift, 120 kg x 3 (still working on back rounding, nothing drastic though here): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7oLTiqzEFo

Deadlift, 110kg x 3 (think there was none or very little back rounding): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYZxwnqZi-s

Overall, I think my hips are rising to fast with the deadlift: I could afford to pull back a bit more, and raise my chest up a bit faster.

Rounded Back GMs off pins

I was trying to do these like this guy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jevdbwe0tVg&feature=player_embedded

practice - 50kg x 8: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kjqXt0xMdM

Heavyish, though not really - 60 kg x 8: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jfRTM2iP0s

Goodwinm
06-16-2009, 08:21 AM
Looking consistant in here my friend. Just thought i'd repay the favour after you had a lookie through my journal. Need any help or a session just PM me.

Just a short train ride away!

AJ_H
06-16-2009, 08:39 AM
^ cool, thanks

AJ_H
06-17-2009, 01:45 PM
Some ****ty benching today:

BENCH: 60kg/135lbs x 3
65kg/145lbs x 1 (yeah I know)
60kg/135lbs x 3
OH PRESS: 40kg/90lbs x 4, 3, 3

Just wasn't with it today. I didn't do any assistance triceps or lats stuff, because ... well I just didn't feel like it.

AJ_H
06-22-2009, 02:00 PM
after discussing with Travis, I've decided to do a proper westside barbell template. I understand that its a tricky getting the template right and if you can be of any assistance at all, please do not hesitate to contribute. cheers.

ME SQUAT/DEADLIFT

SQUAT (changed form so my knees slide forward. Apparently vertical shins is mainly for equipped squatting...or maybe I have missed something...): 80kg/185lbs x 5
90kg/200lbs x 2 (missed on the third rep. At first I was dissapointed that my weights went down today, but then I realised that that kind of thing will happen when you keep changing technique. I'm sticking with this form for a bit. Also I might have gone quite low, like ATF, not sure - didn't record)
DEADLIFT: 120kg/265lbs x 3 (forgot I was supposed to be going for 5 reps, lol)
125kg/275lbs x 3 (I know for a fact I am very slow off the floor, but my lockout is strong. On the 3rd rep, I froze about 2 or 3 inches up and it didn't look like I was gonna get it but I stuck through it and the weight came up. Perhaps too heavy just for training ... I dunno but **** it I'm going up to 130kg next week.)
105kg/230lbs x 3
CHINS 3 x 6
PREACHER CURLS: 20kg/45lbs x 2 x 8, x 1 x 4 (lost it for some reason. Will try all 3 x 8 before I go up)

nockits
06-23-2009, 08:43 AM
lookin' strong man. after seeing your deadlift video in one of your threads, i just had to pop in and see how you were doing. keep up the good work!
you have a good squat! i just hit that number recently (it's one of my lagging lifts), but due to an elbow injury, all my other lifts will be affected :(
keep on pushin!

AJ_H
06-25-2009, 04:07 PM
lookin' strong man. after seeing your deadlift video in one of your threads, i just had to pop in and see how you were doing. keep up the good work!
you have a good squat! i just hit that number recently (it's one of my lagging lifts), but due to an elbow injury, all my other lifts will be affected :(
keep on pushin!

lol yeah that deadlift was pretty embarassing but check up the page my forms definitely improved haha.

AJ_H
06-25-2009, 04:11 PM
ME BENCH: 57.5kg/130lbs x 5
60kg/135lbs x 4 (miss on 5. PR)
57.5kg/130lbs x 4 (miss on 5)

Was in a rush today. Left it at that.