PDA

View Full Version : Any skiiers around?

TheVrolok
10-20-2008, 07:53 AM
Ski season is approaching. I started skiing when I was 5 or so and skied till probably 12-13 when my father tore his ACL and stopped skiing. My first time back on skis was last New Year's when I took a trip to a buddy's condo at a ski resort. Borrowed his gear, took a few runs and it felt good to be skiing again, and I'm surprised how easily it all came back. There had been no where to ski while I was at school but now that I'm home I want to get back into it.

Now here comes my question; any skiers and lifters around that do anything different in regards to skiing? I'm not sure what I should do about squatting/deadlifting/etc. - I really don't want to quit either because, well, I like 'em and they're good for me. I'm just somewhat worried about my legs being fatigued when it comes to skiing. I definitely felt a lot of fatigue and weakness in my legs when I came off the hill on New Year's. So, anyone have any ski specific workouts they do? Or maybe I should cut back a bit on heavy squatting/deadlifting to keep my legs fresher as I plan to spend a lot of time on the hill.

Advice?

(sorry if that was somewhat incoherent - it's late!)

Tom Mutaffis
10-21-2008, 09:00 AM
It sounds like you are looking for more muscular endurance.

I would try high resistance cardio, plyometrics, and also time under tension training (squat 135 for 2 minutes, you can rest with the bar on your back but just cannot rack it). These might be more helpful in giving your better capacity on the slopes.

TheVrolok
10-22-2008, 08:07 AM
It sounds like you are looking for more muscular endurance.

I would try high resistance cardio, plyometrics, and also time under tension training (squat 135 for 2 minutes, you can rest with the bar on your back but just cannot rack it). These might be more helpful in giving your better capacity on the slopes.

Yeah, I that's the way I figured things were going to go. Just need to figure out how I want to work it into my routine. Maybe one squat day I'll go heavy, and the other I'll just do a lot of endurance work. I started running again for my cardio (was doing bike, then some elliptical work) so perhaps that'll work up some endurance in those rickety legs.

Tom Mutaffis
10-22-2008, 11:29 AM
You may also want to try some sled drags, those are great for really burning out your legs and building great GPP.

It is easy to make one - all you would need is an old tire, piece of plywood, U-bolt, and some rope. (Under $40 total)

samj
10-22-2008, 12:21 PM
i used to be a decent skier but now about 4stone heavier i would be like a beginner again

TheVrolok
11-29-2008, 01:20 AM
i used to be a decent skier but now about 4stone heavier i would be like a beginner again

I thought I'd be the same. I gained at least 100 lbs (what, like 7 stone?) and was back at it on double blacks after a few runs. You'd be surprised how you never forget the motions.

AJ_H
11-29-2008, 08:49 AM
no but I snowboard. Anything endurance based should be good - dynamic lunges, tuck jumps, squatting for multiple reps, etc. just to replicate what Tom said. I personally don't find snowboarding very tiring (I have snowboarded for 4-6 hours a day in Austria and a lot of the time is just going up the lifts but there admittedly there are some tougher lifts where you have to hold on to a rope) and I used to ski too a few years back so you probably won't find you need a great deal of training.

twm
11-30-2008, 06:51 AM
some gyms have a skiiers edge which is nice.. i feel theyre kind of overrated.

not sure what your ability level is, but for me, its all about quad/hip endurance. i just keep my weight centered on my heels, keep my center of gravity low, and let my hips absorb and pivot. extensive close-stance body weight squatting on a balance ball would probably be good.

supposedly inline skating is a very similar movement to skiing to stay in shape.

Cards
11-30-2008, 08:44 AM
I've been skiing since I was about 2 years (my mom would drag me out and tie a rope around my waist) and raced for about 3. My advice would be lower body exercises, squats and lunges. It's all about leaning forward and the power from driving your shin into the boot to bend the ski and carve it around a turn.