PDA

View Full Version : carbs in protien bars

the_hall
04-01-2002, 08:39 AM
Some bars like metrx have alot of carbs in them. Are these high gi, or low gi carbs?

Mark
04-01-2002, 08:47 AM
Why don't you stick to Met RX Protein Plus bars as they are low carb anyway, about 13 g per bar.

By the way beware of protein bars with the word gelatin in the ingredients. Gelatin is an incomplete protein which is quickly turned to carbs by the body.

Putting gelatin in is a cheap way for manufacturers of protein bars to boost the level of protein by using a low quality ingredient.

the_hall
04-01-2002, 08:55 AM
Thanks for telling me about the gelatin bro, i had never heard that. I guess I will check the ingredients when I buy them.

Do you know any companies off hand that put it in their bars?

Mark
04-01-2002, 09:05 AM
Although I haven't bought any recently I recall that EAS Myoplex Lite had gelatin as an ingredient.

I remember being surprised by this as I thought that EAS were above such things.

As you rightly say the thing to do is to read the labels

john123
04-01-2002, 03:40 PM
I hear they contain sugar-alchols which arent good for you

=w=
04-01-2002, 04:30 PM
If memory serves me right the Met-rx 100g bars use high fructose corn syrup as their carb source. If that is the case they are GARBAGE carbs.

the_hall
04-01-2002, 06:37 PM
Damn, that sucks for me, because some days when i have school and work, i get about 70g of carbs from the metrx protien bars.

Do you think those carbs could cause me to put on alot of fat? I have been bulking, and my diet has been clean as a whistle, i mean 90% of my carbs come from whole wheat bread, brown rice, and oatmeal, but I ocasionally do eat those bars with high carbs in them.

Next time I bulk I wont eat them, hopefully it will keep me from getting as fat.

=w=
04-01-2002, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by the_hall

Do you think those carbs could cause me to put on alot of fat?

Almost nothing is bad in moderation. If you are on the run and bulking IMO you are better off getting your cals than going hungry.