PDA

View Full Version : Trucking ...

Iron Disciple
10-21-2008, 04:22 PM
Hey guys. First time here. Just had a quick question for you all ... I already know it's kinda stupid, but what the hell !? I'm looking to become a Truck Driver here soon as was just wondering if there are any Truck Drivers here on this forum ... I just want to know if it's possible to do Powerlifting and be a Truck Driver too. I'm just looking to get some ideas on how to balance the two ... thanks for your help, guys and I look forward to learning a lot here on this forum.

- Iron Disciple

Lones Green
10-21-2008, 05:34 PM
i know Sorefoot is. maybe she can help you out.

Travis Bell
10-21-2008, 05:45 PM
When you're planning your trips, it's a pain in the neck but you're going to have to find gyms along your route. Otherwise you'll end up missing lots of training days.

SoreFoot8343
10-21-2008, 08:06 PM
HEY!!! Ok my are of specialty :) I am an OTR driver and PLer. First off, are you going to be a local driver or Over the road 48 states/ Regional driver? May I ask who you plan on driving for? Trust me theres a method to my madness lol.

Iron Disciple
10-22-2008, 03:47 PM
I'm trying to get into Trucking School ( I'll find out this coming weekend if I get accepted, hopefully ) here in Michigan. I would prefer otr ... perhaps regional as well ( I don't think these two are the same ? :confused: ). Thanks for your help, sorefoot ... I look forward to your reply. :)

- Iron Disciple

Travis Bell
10-22-2008, 03:57 PM
local = you are at home every night, most times

OTR = you can be sent just about anywhere and may be on the road for 4-6 days at a time

Ben Moore
10-22-2008, 04:38 PM
I've known guys that took a bench and a set of squat stands with them along with weight.

rmccray
10-22-2008, 07:13 PM
im a F T E (full trucker effect) and i have done both otr and now what you call local (ny nj and all new england) anyways its very possible to train and pimp the miles when i was otr alot of petro truck stops have (big 10 gyms) up stairs and also when i would load and unload just ask the shipper or receiver if you can drop the trailer in the dock for a few hours and ask for the closest w8 room. good luck and dont drive for SWIFT (lol)

rmccray
10-22-2008, 07:14 PM
I've known guys that took a bench and a set of squat stands with them along with weight.

where did they sleep?? no company truck is that big

Iron Disciple
10-22-2008, 07:18 PM
local = you are at home every night, most times

OTR = you can be sent just about anywhere and may be on the road for 4-6 days at a time

Thank you for the reply, Mr. Bell. :) By any chance, have you driven Truck ?

Iron Disciple
10-22-2008, 07:19 PM

Not a bad idea ... not a bad idea at all. Thank you.

Iron Disciple
10-22-2008, 07:23 PM
im a F T E (full trucker effect) and i have done both otr and now what you call local (ny nj and all new england) anyways its very possible to train and pimp the miles when i was otr alot of petro truck stops have (big 10 gyms) up stairs and also when i would load and unload just ask the shipper or receiver if you can drop the trailer in the dock for a few hours and ask for the closest w8 room. good luck and dont drive for SWIFT (lol)

I sure was hoping I'd come across at least one Trucker ... lo and behold, I've come across two. Thanks for the reply, rmccray. I didn't know the petro stops had gyms ... that's really good to know ! Btw, I've also heard to not drive for SWIFT ! LOL ! And J.B Hunt, too !

bigbadwolfe
10-22-2008, 07:30 PM
We had aguy from this area drove truck for a bit. He made really good gains as an OTR he did what McCray said at unhitched and found the local gym. We had a guy a few yrs back who would always stop in and train at the Powerhouse Gym north of town. He was from down south somewhere and would always stop in and get a workout in on his way through and way back through. Would see him a few times a month.

Good luck with getting in and getting that license. I had thought about it for awhile but I like to have a nice female in bed with me not some Lot Lizard :)

Iron Disciple
10-22-2008, 07:36 PM
Good luck with getting in and getting that license. I had thought about it for awhile but I like to have a nice female in bed with me not some Lot Lizard :)

LOL ! I've heard some pretty crazy stories, too !

bigbadwolfe
10-22-2008, 07:43 PM
LOL ! I've heard some pretty crazy stories, too !

I got a funny one for ya, I always stop at the Truck Stop by Westside to get a water and gum for training. Well one morning I rolled in there and they have a on duty armed security guard in the evenings and late nights.

Well I come rolling in there around 6:30 am and the Security guard is screaming at the top of his lungs that he shot the Bi-tch. He goes I'm sick of that Bi-tch messing with the drivers so I shot her ass 3 times.

Dude I'm thinking I just walked in a bad situation and he keeps saying it over and over I shot the bi-tch. Finally I asked him if he was worried about getting in trouble and asked if she had a gun?

He started laughing at me, here come to find out it was a Rabid Dog that had been biting and growling at the truckers for a few days and they finally shot it. DUH!!!! It was still funny how Dramatic it all seemed at the time!!!

SoreFoot8343
10-22-2008, 08:03 PM
OTR would mean that you can be out for a min of 14-21 days at a time before you see the house. While as regional would mean you get thru the house prolly every weekend/other weekend or during the week for 34 hrs.As far as gyms upstaris from truck stops ie: Petro, there are no more unfortunatly. The last one was up in Scranton pa which the gym is now vacant :(
As far as the size of a company truck, I am a company driver and have a 2007 376 Peterbuilt the blue one in my antavar. I have a fridge, freezer, microwave, 19" flat screen tv,DVD, satalite TV and radio portable bathroom and a full size bed. 2 clothing closets and a ton of side cabnets and full storage under my bed. And still have agood amount of room to move. 95% of company trucks have enough room for all of this with some where you'd have to purchase your own entertainment and fridge and power inverter.
I joined a big chain gym (la fitness) ballys works too since they are everywhere and usually close to a truck stop or have a home depot w/ a big parking lot next to them. Watch yourself with unhooking and driving your tractor to a gym as they have GPS systems and doing so can violate company policy. If i desperatly needed a gym, I would do it enroute to where ever along the way so I could make an excuse like nap time or food as long as i make my destination on time .I personally carry Iron Woody bands, barbell and 85lbs of free weight and db. I tie my bands off to my trailer or the front tow hooks of my truck even using my feet. I dont keep too much weight in my truck since some of my loads can put me over gorss (80,000lbs).
Honestly in the beginning there is going to be so much stuff for you to absorbe and so many rules and log book issues and not to mention trying to figure out how long it will take you from point to point before even thinking about finding time to hit a commercial gym. But theres always time on your 10hr break in a truck stop to work out with bands and whatnot till you learn the ropes. I hope this helps you out a little bit.

Travis Bell
10-22-2008, 08:05 PM
Thank you for the reply, Mr. Bell. :) By any chance, have you driven Truck ?

Yeah but not as a profession. I have to drive all the trucks I fix so I've driven dumpers as well as farm trucks and full size tractors. I'm a mechanic who's in grad school so he doesn't have to be a mechanic for the rest of his life LOL

I could see where drivin trucks would be fun for a living, but I'm with Wolf, I like to be home at night

Good luck with the driving school bro!

SoreFoot8343
10-22-2008, 08:15 PM
Hey Travis.. PM me let me know where your shop is so if I ever need off warantee work and in the OH area. Do you fix dry trailers too? I can give my company your # (and with their crappy trailers you just my get more work than you wanted LOL). We do alot out of west chester and sometimes have loads out of lima area going out to CA.

Gable
10-22-2008, 09:18 PM
I used to drive, regional gravel, excavation, heavy equipment, even ran a beer truck for a few years.

I got out of it years ago, because of the hours. I was working 70-80hrs a week and that was just too much for me.

Good luck with it.

Darracq
10-23-2008, 09:09 AM
It will be hard to do unless you work for someone that sits you around all the time, bring some dumbells and if you have time find a gym.

Iron Disciple
10-23-2008, 05:40 PM
I appreciate all your replies, guys ! Thanks a lot !

Darracq
10-24-2008, 11:17 AM
I appreciate all your replies, guys ! Thanks a lot !

If you have any ?s about trucking let me know. I have seen and done most of it lol.

Iron Disciple
10-24-2008, 04:07 PM
I just found out yesterday that I've been accepted into the school ! I know this question doesn't really pertain to Powerlifting ( I can't send any pm's ... I guess I have to wait until I make 10 posts ), but is there anything I need to look out for ... watch on the road ? I've heard from a few truckers to, " never stop at the truckstops ... nothing but trouble there ". Is this true ? Hey, thanks again guys for all your help. Now it's on to getting my CDL permit. :)

Fatpowerlifter4
10-24-2008, 05:32 PM
Truck driving was close to the worst thing ever for my powerlifting career. My advice is dont do it. I would have weeks OTR were I got three workouts a week and others where I only got time to do push ups in rest stops. The lack of sleep was the thing that really did me in. I drove for three years then said screw it and went back to grad school so that I can lift again. John

rmccray
10-24-2008, 05:37 PM
I sure was hoping I'd come across at least one Trucker ... lo and behold, I've come across two. Thanks for the reply, rmccray. I didn't know the petro stops had gyms ... that's really good to know ! Btw, I've also heard to not drive for SWIFT ! LOL ! And J.B Hunt, too !

that is some good advice!!! lol

rmccray
10-24-2008, 05:38 PM
We had aguy from this area drove truck for a bit. He made really good gains as an OTR he did what McCray said at unhitched and found the local gym. We had a guy a few yrs back who would always stop in and train at the Powerhouse Gym north of town. He was from down south somewhere and would always stop in and get a workout in on his way through and way back through. Would see him a few times a month.

WORD!!

Darracq
10-24-2008, 06:49 PM
I just found out yesterday that I've been accepted into the school ! I know this question doesn't really pertain to Powerlifting ( I can't send any pm's ... I guess I have to wait until I make 10 posts ), but is there anything I need to look out for ... watch on the road ? I've heard from a few truckers to, " never stop at the truckstops ... nothing but trouble there ". Is this true ? Hey, thanks again guys for all your help. Now it's on to getting my CDL permit. :)

Most truck stops are fine. Just use your head and dont talk to people that you think you shouldnt. Get yourself a refriderator you will save yourself a ton of money. Trucking can be a real pain the in ass but i am glad i did it for a few years, saw lots of cool stuff. You probably wont make that much money the first year after they take there school payments and all that crap.But you can find a local job in 6 months or a year. Or a better company. This time of year is not the best to start trucking but what ever.

SoreFoot8343
10-26-2008, 06:46 PM
If you go to Swifty or JB. please let me know. So I can get a load scheduled in the opposite direction LOL.... J/K but like RM says. Just say no to Swift and JB no matter how good it sounds.. If you want the absoulute best piece of advise for the road here it is. " Only believe half of what you see and NOTHING of what you hear!" it will save you from looking like a fool and being gullable. This also applys to speaking to recruiters for jobs!

barbarian30
05-10-2010, 12:34 AM
Hi everyone. I have to admit I joined strictly because of this subject. I'm going to be going to trucking school in June. But being a lifter and not having regular access to a gym bothers me. But I need a better job and trucking seems about the best thing going for me at the moment, plus I always wanted to get out and see the country. I have a a set of adjustable dumbells and I can always get some of those Iron Woody bands mentioned and use those as well. I'm really looking forward to this but also kind of nervous entering a new field I've never been involved in. I heard Swift is a bad company to go with. I filled out a application for them already but haven't turned it in yet, are they that bad that that I should just tear up the aplication and forget I ever filled it out? I also filled out apps for these companies:

Stevens Transport
Werner Enterprises
Roehl
TMC

Anybody know he reputation of these companies? Appreciate all the feedback and information for a new guy!

Brian Hopper
05-10-2010, 07:20 AM
dont drive for SWIFT (lol)

HAHA, when my best friend first became a truck driver he started off working for them and it didn't last very long. He hated them, they told him one thing and did another.