PDA

View Full Version : Yet another bench question

BigTallOx
10-21-2008, 06:03 PM
Since I started powerlifting, I haven't really played around with my bench grip width. But now I'm really questioning if my current grip placement is right. For years, my grip was such that when the bar was lowered my forearms would be straight up and down, BUT before I started powerlifting I benched with my elbows flared out. Now I'm starting to tuck them in and I think this means my grip needs to come in as well. I'm worried my wide grip is putting too much stress on my shoulders, especially now that I'm tucking my elbows. What does everybody think, especially people who have had shoulder issues? Also, I have relatively weak shoulders ( but currently healthy ) and strong chest and triceps ( actually really strong triceps ), BUT I also have a really long stroke which I really don't want to make longer by a closer grip. In theory should a closer grip be better given my strentghs/weaknesses? Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated. Oh, just to be clear, my goal is to lift more weight in competition, and keep my shoulders healthy.

BBShort
10-21-2008, 06:11 PM
Depends on whether you're raw or shirted I'd think. If you're shirted most of the time stay wider, shirts work better this way. Since moving to raw training I've moved my grip in from index on rings to middle on rings, which is not much but stronger and less shoulder pain as I did have a problem with that. But when I get back to shirted benching I'll go back out as with a shirt there are no shoulder problems. Also try doing some simple rehab/prehab things for the shoulders, I think it's helped me tremendously. And as for the lenght of your stroke, I'm just over 6'3 and had the same worries, by only moving in one finger it hasn't really affected the stroke, it's worth trying for a while.

BigTallOx
10-21-2008, 06:13 PM
Depends on whether you're raw or shirted (snip)

Right now I bench mostly raw. I don't know about long term, though. Last week was my first ME bench session in a shirt. I still don't know what to think about it.

vdizenzo
10-21-2008, 07:11 PM
Bench out to the rings. With a wider grip you can engage the lats much more. It's a very strong muscle group that gets forgotten in the bench. I benched my 600 raw with the same grip I use in the shirt.

Travis Bell
10-21-2008, 07:22 PM
I completely agree with Vin. Tucking your elbows will take the stress of your shoulders. Bringing your grip in will only lenghthen your range of motion, which is already long enough

BigTallOx
10-21-2008, 08:13 PM
I completely agree with Vin. Tucking your elbows will take the stress of your shoulders. Bringing your grip in will only lenghthen your range of motion, which is already long enough

OK. That's what I wanted to know. Thanks for all of the help, you guys are great.

BBShort
10-22-2008, 12:30 PM
Okay after reading I'd stick with Vin and Travis' advise, in fact I may now switch my grip back out, so thanks for the post.

geoffsherman
10-22-2008, 05:38 PM
Since I started powerlifting, I haven't really played around with my bench grip width. But now I'm really questioning if my current grip placement is right. For years, my grip was such that when the bar was lowered my forearms would be straight up and down, BUT before I started powerlifting I benched with my elbows flared out. Now I'm starting to tuck them in and I think this means my grip needs to come in as well. I'm worried my wide grip is putting too much stress on my shoulders, especially now that I'm tucking my elbows. What does everybody think, especially people who have had shoulder issues? Also, I have relatively weak shoulders ( but currently healthy ) and strong chest and triceps ( actually really strong triceps ), BUT I also have a really long stroke which I really don't want to make longer by a closer grip. In theory should a closer grip be better given my strentghs/weaknesses? Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated. Oh, just to be clear, my goal is to lift more weight in competition, and keep my shoulders healthy.

I certainly don't have nearly the experience others who have responded do. I am a raw lifter as well and recently moved my grip out to middle finger on the rings rather than ring finger on the rings. I did it because I found that it was a more natural movement when I am using wrist wraps. The first few times I had some new soreness, but now I am used to it and my bench has increased. I don't have any problems keeping tucked in this new position, in fact I find it easier. Now if I could just learn how to arch more!!

xolix
10-23-2008, 12:12 PM
Bench out to the rings. With a wider grip you can engage the lats much more. It's a very strong muscle group that gets forgotten in the bench. I benched my 600 raw with the same grip I use in the shirt.

i bench raw , and i tried different grips too...and my strongest is just a thumblength from smooth , i tried it very often and everytime the same result..i am strongest and feel my lats more when i bench with those close grip... should i train so long until i am stronger with a wider grip , or sticking with my long-tested closer grip ?

:confused:

Travis Bell
10-23-2008, 12:34 PM
you must have extremely narrow shoulders then

EatMyWay2TheTop
10-23-2008, 12:37 PM

Vinny a simple question from a simple mind: it seems you push the bar toward your face when benching with a shirt, do you do the same thing when benching unequiped ?

xolix
10-23-2008, 12:56 PM
you must have extremely narrow shoulders then

no , but a very good start and strong triceps with this handposition ... i dont feel my lats when i bench wider , my start is very slow too so, and on my stickingpoint my ellbows go out ...

vdizenzo
10-23-2008, 03:59 PM
Vinny a simple question from a simple mind: it seems you push the bar toward your face when benching with a shirt, do you do the same thing when benching unequiped ?

I try to bench in more of a straight line both in and out of the shirt. With the new poly shirts I have noticed more of a drift. I think that has been my problem. I am going to be pulling the shirt off my shoulders to try and remedy that.

EatMyWay2TheTop
10-24-2008, 03:08 AM
I try to bench in more of a straight line both in and out of the shirt. With the new poly shirts I have noticed more of a drift. I think that has been my problem. I am going to be pulling the shirt off my shoulders to try and remedy that.

OK thank you. What's your take on pushing the bar toward the face especially for raw lifters ?

BigTallOx
10-24-2008, 08:44 AM
OK thank you. What's your take on pushing the bar toward the face especially for raw lifters ?

I'm interested in what others say about this as well. When I was in college I was taught to bench like that. But now I feel like I loose power when I do this. Maybe that's just me though.