PDA

View Full Version : Hug Dogs "the new me"

Pages : [1] 2

hug dog
10-23-2008, 07:57 AM
Obviously I know this journal is mainly for me but I am still going to introduce myself. I am looking for a way to keep myself motivated. I have been reading the forums and thought it would be a good idea to post daily. Here is a little bit of background on me.

I started working out when I was 16. I went to many competitions in high school. The most impressive was:

Weighed 154lbs
Bench 265
squat 355
power clean 275

That was a long time ago. Now I am 25 and I haven't worked out seriously in 3 years. I discovered I have supraventricular tachycardia it took me about 2 1/2 years to get it controlled with medication.(the medication takes most of my energy away) This means I can't take anything that would make my heart race like caffeine or anything similar to it. So now I am 225 lbs. Obviously way out of shape.

My goal is to get back into shape and to be big. My father is a big man (275 benches around 400 lb and is 56 years old and I would like to be healthy like him.

I have been working out for two weeks now. My first goal is to just get my muscles trained again. that is why I am going to do the Original Starting Strength Novice Program. It seems very simple. Yesterday was my first day. Here was my program.

3x5 Squat 185lbs
3x5 Bench Press 185lbs
3x5 Deadlift 185lbs

I forgot my routine at work so I didn't realize I only needed to do 1 set of deadlifts. 3 sets felt really good though. I also tried to cheat and do a couple sets of abbs. Wow bad idea. When I started my 3rd super set my bottom two abbs cramped. man did that hurt. I had to have my wife help me sit up. Lesson learned. Now I am only going to stick to the work out. Tomorrow I will be doing day B.

Workout B
3x5 Squat
3x5 Press
5x3 Power cleans

I used to love power cleans so I am very excited about them. I am going to start very light. Here is my goal.

Workout B
3x5 Squat 190
3x5 Press 95
5x3 Power cleans 95

Power cleans are all about form so it will take me a while. Plus I have to find room to do them. Fridays is really slow so that should be easy.

So I am not taking any supplements due to heart condition but I am drinking an aftermax shake after each workout. I also ordered some Microlactin. I hope it helps me not be as sore.

On a side note: my wife is also starting to train. I have looked up some work outs and here is what she started on Monday.

Monday
Chest/Triceps:
Choose 1 compound exercise for chest:
a. Bench press or bench press machine
b. Incline press
Choose 1 concentration exercise for chest:
a. Dumbbell flyes
b. Chest fly machine
Choose 2 movements for triceps:
a. Triceps push downs
b. One arm triceps extensions with dumbbell
c. Skull crushers (**also called lying triceps extensions)
d. Close grip bench press
e. Triceps machine
Wednesday
Legs/Shoulders
Choose 1 compound movement for legs:
a. Squat
b. Leg press
c. Leg machine with a squatting movement
Choose two concentration exercises for legs (there are only really two of them):
a. Leg curl
b. Leg extensions
Choose 1 compound exercise for shoulders:
a. Military press
b. Dumbbell press
Choose 1 concentration exercise for shoulders:
Side laterals
Front dumbbell raises
Friday:
Back/Biceps
Choose 1compound exercise for back:
a. Pull ups
b. Pull downs
c. Bent over rows
Choose 1 concentration exercise for back:
a. One arm dumbbell rows
b. Cable bar pull downs (grab a bar on the cable machine and straighten your arms so they are almost locked. Then lower the bar to your lower abs.)
Choose 2 movements for biceps:
a. Barbell curls
b. Dumbbell curls
c. Preacher curls
d. Machine curls
e. Cable curls

I am not sure if it is a good work out but I do know that she needs structure or she will just give up. Thanks for reading and if anyone ever has any input that would be great.

hug dog
10-24-2008, 07:31 AM
I will be working out at 5:45 today. I thought that I was going to be really sore today but I am not nearly as bad as I thought. I am worried about the power clean but I have looked up a lot of videos on it and I feel somewhat confident. I am going to try to do them in the squat rack and that way the bar will be raised some. We will see how that goes.

hug dog
10-25-2008, 10:36 AM
3x5 Squat 190
3x5 Press 95
5x3 Power cleans 115
Good mornings - no weight

So another good work out. I can certainly do allot more on eat work out. I goal is to continue to add weight on each work out each time for at least two months. Once I get stuck I will start doing Mark's work out.

My and he friend also worked out. They seem to be enjoying themselves

I did make one mistake. I decided to shoot hoops as part of my cardio. I was playing against these 14 year olds and they have way to much energy. I am really wore out today. That is it for today. Next post will be Monday. Hopefully I will get good rest all weekend.

hug dog
10-27-2008, 09:52 AM
Alright it is Monday. I am not sore at all today. I am excited to work out. I wish I didn't start so light but I think it will help my form and keep me going better doing it this way. Here is my work out for today. All of it should be very easy.

3x5 Squat 195lbs
3x5 Bench Press 190lbs
3x5 Dead lift 190lbs - I did find out that I was doing dead lifts wrong before. It is really mostly back and not legs. I was using my legs way to much.

If I have energy after that I would like to do some pull ups. I am really bad at them and need to practice. I did learn today that it is a good idea to drink a protein shake the day of working out and the next day so i am going to buy some more mix on my lunch break. I might even try a different kind. We also have a damaged food place and I would love to go there and see if they have any really good deals. I will report how I did tomorrow.

hug dog
10-28-2008, 08:16 AM
So I did my work out.

3x5 Squat 195lbs
3x5 Bench Press 190lbs
1x5 Dead lift 190lbs

I am not sore at all. Like I said it still feels light. I did get allot of instruction on my dead lifts. Some guy told me that they are worthless and the only way to get stronger and better on dead lifts is by doing good mornings. He must know what he is talking about because he was working out with 405 on squats and doing 540 with good mornings! This guy is a beast. Plus he is in his 40's. He told me to use a box and he brought one over. He uses it to squat and told me to use it to squat and dead lift off of. It felt really weird but I think I will try it. Oh yeah and this is the 5th time my wife has worked out with me. I hope she stays motivated.

hug dog
10-29-2008, 08:29 AM
3x5 Squat 200
3x5 Press 100
5x3 Power cleans 120
pull ups - I need to get good at these.

That Is the work out for today.

I do love power cleans and I can't wait to get really heavy. I think everyone has a lift that that are good at or really enjoy doing. Power cleans seem to be my lift. So far I don't hate any lift. Growing up I lifted with a power lifter. (crazy strong has a bunch of records) Anyway after he moved away I started lifting with some body builders. Obviously they didn't do much squat and I started hating doing them by myself so I quit. Now they are the staple of my workout and I really enjoy them. The sad thing is that I have a feeling they will be the first thing that I have a problem with. I have massive legs and butt but most of it is not muscle. Plus I have hip problems. My dad is coming to town Friday. He is 54 and currently benches well over 350. He hasn't maxed in a while but he does his work outs with 315 and more. He is quite the inspiration. He doesn't do much legs do to his physical job. he works in a lead mine. Anyway I will report how I do tomorrow.

hug dog
10-29-2008, 09:15 AM
test for new sig

Jorge Sanchez
10-29-2008, 09:26 AM
You've got your work cut out for you if you're trying to hit those goals by new years while trying to lean down. The good news is it looks like you're on track. Make sure to keep adding weight to the bar every workout.

Good luck!!

hug dog
10-29-2008, 02:34 PM
yeah. But I could probably Dead lift 315 right now and I would be close on the squat. I am just taking it very easy so I remember the form. Bench will be the hardest. My last max about a year ago was 295 after not working out very often. I have very good genes so that should help me. My Brother is 6'2 and about 300 max about 320 (after tore his rotator cuff) and my dad is 5'10 and 275. with a max over 350. Both have plenty of muscle.

-JM-
10-29-2008, 03:01 PM
''To be the strongest Huggins'' ...awesome man!

Good luck. Looks like you have a strong base. You should have no problems reaching those goals!

hug dog
10-29-2008, 03:23 PM
Thanks. Yeah. My dad is 54 and my brother is 32 and my brother in law who isn't a huggins but related just put up 295lbs at 160 so I have allot of work ahead of me. Hopefully building a solid base (which none of them did) will help me do it. For me to truly achieve something I have to have a goal to push myself to.

hug dog
10-30-2008, 08:52 AM
3x5 Squat 200
3x5 Press 100
5x3 Power cleans 120

yep everything still felt very easy. I decided to do box squats. I just wanted to make sure I was going down far enough. I did learn that my lower back is by far the weakest part of my body. I decided to play some basketball after working out. (I was horrible) Anyway my back was really tight and it was really hard to shoot. I still can't wait to put some real weight on the bar.

hug dog
10-31-2008, 10:14 AM
Work out for today will be

Squat 3x5 205
bench 3x5 195
deadlift 3x5 195
dips 3x10 (maybe) with body weight

So I woke up with some hip pain today. If I move it wrong it hurts. It is my left hip. It doesn't hurt when I squat or deadlift so I think I will be ok.

Of course I am working out with my dad today. He is doing shoulders. He is crazy strong with his shoulders since he is a miner. He is always putting explosives in holes that are above his head.

I have not given an update on my wife in a while. She has only missed one day so far. She has a very good workout partner. Ever since I have known her she will get muscle cramps. they can just show up anywhere. Since she has been working out it seems like they are more frequent. I was hoping that working out would help the cramps go away. Not the case so far.

hug dog
11-03-2008, 08:29 AM
Well I certainly had a busy weekend. It first started on Friday when a friend of mine broke down and stayed with us all weekend. Then when I finally got a chance to work out we had a small electrical fire so I had to go back home and fix it. Saturday I replaced our porch roof which took all day and Sunday I painted the porch. All and all I am still tired and haven't worked out since Wednesday. So Today I am doing the workout I missed on Friday.

Squat 3x5 205 possibly box.
bench 3x5 195
dead lift 3x5 195
dips 3x10 (maybe) with body weight

-JM-
11-04-2008, 02:23 AM
Sounds like youve been busy man!

Did you get a session done?

hug dog
11-04-2008, 08:36 AM
I felt really strong today. I worked myself a little to much.

Squat 3x5 205 squat rack was used the whole time so I had to use the smith machine. I just put 2 45 on each side and did my set very very low.
bench 3x5 195 easy felt good. Starting to arch my back a little more and fold my feet under.
dead lift 1x5 195 easy
A big guy told me that doing dead lifts won't help my dead lifts. He told me to do good mornings. So I did:
good morning 2x5 195 felt great.
dips 3x10 with body weight (will start adding weight once I can get 3x12)

I have a busy week this week but I am not going to miss out on working out.

I still havn't decided if I like the gym I am going to enough to join it. It only has 1 bench and 1 squat rack. If I get there after 6 then the squat rack is already being used. Yesterday I bought a 15 visit pass for $50. Once that has run up I will join. It is $365 for a family for a year. Or I can do $37 a month for a family. which come up to $444. Or I can just pay $4 a visit. My problem is that in the past I have never been able to stick with working out for a full year. tough choice so far.

hug dog
11-04-2008, 01:11 PM
so, I have decided that I need to add 10 pounds on my deadlift each exercise. 5 pounds is way to easy.

hug dog
11-06-2008, 07:25 AM
3x5 Squat 210 - used a box. I did a 2 count at the bottom. Felt light and easy.
3x5 OH Press 105 - these are uncomfortable on my shoulders. i need to look up the proper form.
5x3 Power cleans 125 - way to light. I still think I need more weight to truly do the right form.

Then I played basketball for about an hour and a half. I really only wanted to play basketball for about 45 minutes but 3 guys that work at the center wanted to play us. The first game we lost but then we won the next 2. I had allot more energy today and played much better.

hug dog
11-07-2008, 07:41 PM
Great work out
Squat 3x5 225 I used the box again. At the end I also put on 275 and did it for a REP. It was very easy.
bench 3x5 200 easy felt good. It felt heavy but it went up easy.
dead lift 1x5 205 I did 2 sets good mornings and then a set of dead lifts.
At the end I put on 270 and did it once. Again felt good but heavy.
dips 3x10 with body weight plus a 10

Then we walked for about 20 minutes.

hug dog
11-11-2008, 08:00 AM
weight 222lbs
I have decided to weigh myself every time I work out. Obviously in the future I want to lose weight but for now i want to remain the same if not gain so weight. I started at 230 3 weeks ago. Obviously I need to eat more.

The power rack was used for the first 45 minutes of my work out. I had to change the order I did things. Made squatting allot harder.

3x5 OH Press 115 - Very Very easy.
5x3 Power cleans 135 - way to light. I still think I need more weight to truly do the right form.
3x5 Squat 235 - used a box. I was exhausted by the time I started these. But they wend up very easy.
Pull ups 4,3,3 - with body weight - That is very sad. Allot of it had to do with my grip.
calf raises - I feel my calves are very weak. (need to jump better for basketball)

-JM-
11-11-2008, 03:43 PM
^Wow! Nice w/o.

Intense upper work with the pressing, cleans & Pull ups together.

hug dog
11-12-2008, 01:12 PM
It was really the first time I have been sore from this workout. Today will be killer as well. After Squats, Bench, and Deadlifts I am going to play some basketball.

O I bought a belt today. I got it as play it again. The ones they have at the gym are small and are nylon. This one is leather. I wanted to buy some chalk but they were all out.

hug dog
11-13-2008, 07:16 AM
Anther good workout. I had to Bench first because some jerk was using the power rack for bench?

Bench 205 3X5 - Paused at the bottom of all of them
Squat 245 3x5 - They were painful but easy. I used my new belt and it was either to tight or to loose. I choose to tight. It is a nice belt.
Dead lift 1x5 225 - extremely easy. I cheated and decided to try to pull 315. 1x1. It went up very easy as well. I held it for about 10 seconds just to see myself holding 315. I guess I need to make a new goal. I will wait until I reach 315 on squat. (won't very to long.)

Basket ball went good. I was on fire. Unfortunately my team mates were not. The second game we played I scored 10 of our 14 points. (pay to 11 win by 2) We finally won the last game. I decided to quit passing and to just do the work myself.

hug dog
11-16-2008, 05:02 PM
Squat 3x5 255 - starting to get heavy. Wow the belt hurts
Oh Press 120 3x5 still easy.
Power cleans 5x3 140 still easy.
Lat Pull downs. 150, 170, 190 3x10

This was all done on Friday.

hug dog
11-18-2008, 09:42 AM
Bench 210 2x5 last set 1x10. All were very easy.
Dead lift 1x5 245. Felt great.
Squat 265 3x5. I had to do it last due to benching in the power rack and then some guys jumped in front of me.

We ate at some friends house so I couldn't do anything else.

hug dog
11-19-2008, 10:20 PM
squat 275 3x5 starting to get harder. i am no longer doing all of these with a box. i am just using the 12 inch box to make sure i am going deep enough over head press 125 3x5 very easy power clean. 5x3 145. i need to look up form on these again. all and all it was a good work out. i had to wait about 15 minutes foe the power rack.

hug dog
11-23-2008, 10:13 AM
Great work out. Pushed myself to much plus I squatted 315 once to finally get a goal.

squat 3x5 285
bench 2x5 215 1x10
dead lift 1x5 275
incline db bench 60s and 702 1x10
Then I did sprints to get ready for a big tackle football game I am going to play in on next saturday

The Sun
11-25-2008, 12:03 AM
yo bro I just checked in and everything's looking great!

how do you feel about adding those extra exercises? aren't they too demanding to recover from? I know Rip suggested to add them on the last day of the week so you'll get more time to recover.

hug dog
11-25-2008, 08:37 AM
so far I haven't gotten very sore but after the incline bench, my wrists and shoulders were very sore. Yesterday the workout was easy so adding the extra exercises worked well for me. I can't work out Friday so I am going to incline bench again Wednesday.

The power rack was being occupied the whole time Monday. I had to work out with the "strong" guy in our gym. He made we feel and look very weak.

Military press 135 3x5 - I had to pick it up from the floor so I just used 45's on both sides. Still very easy.
power clean 155 3x5 (this felt great, I did them in front of the mirror and it worked much better)
Squat 295 3x5. Getting hard to keep good form. I should be able to add quite a bit more weight though.

The strong guy was squatting well over 500lbs while I was doing 295. Oh and he doesn't like me at all. He didn't seem happy to have to work out together. I was in line and he was ready to take it over so I just asked if we could share. Hopefully he will quit being a jerk and start talking to me. I asked him how my form was and he said he didn't know. Ha he watched every rep.

The Sun
11-25-2008, 02:24 PM
so far I haven't gotten very sore but after the incline bench, my wrists and shoulders were very sore. Yesterday the workout was easy so adding the extra exercises worked well for me. I can't work out Friday so I am going to incline bench again Wednesday.

The power rack was being occupied the whole time Monday. I had to work out with the "strong" guy in our gym. He made we feel and look very weak.

Military press 135 3x5 - I had to pick it up from the floor so I just used 45's on both sides. Still very easy.
power clean 155 3x5 (this felt great, I did them in front of the mirror and it worked much better)
Squat 295 3x5. Getting hard to keep good form. I should be able to add quite a bit more weight though.

The strong guy was squatting well over 500lbs while I was doing 295. Oh and he doesn't like me at all. He didn't seem happy to have to work out together. I was in line and he was ready to take it over so I just asked if we could share. Hopefully he will quit being a jerk and start talking to me. I asked him how my form was and he said he didn't know. Ha he watched every rep.

What a jackass this guy is.
solid weights bro, I just learned to power clean today. ****'s hard!
keep on bro, one day you'll go through his 500 squat and keep him with balls to wall.

-JM-
11-25-2008, 04:21 PM
He made we feel and look very weak.

That guy is a douche. Some people forget where theyve come from.

Your numbers are flying up man, solid work.

hug dog
11-26-2008, 07:39 AM
The sun - I would imagine it would take a couple years before I can squat that much but who knows. i love power cleans. They are so much fun. I can't wait until I have doing allot of weight. In the past I used to hang clean 225 easily with straps. You will need chalk or straps after a while

Flynn - Thanks. He makes me a bit nervous to work out. I hate thinking that I am going to have some kind of conflict every lifting day.

So this morning I worked out. I am leaving at 11:30 to go to my parents all weekend. We are going a day early and are going to cook them supper as a surprise. Anyway working out in the morning sucks. I could not get any motivation and even though I eat a pb & j my stomach felt horrible.

squat 305 3x5 - As long as I take these one by one it is fine. they are certainly getting harder. I have to force myself to keep correct form. I actually redid a couple because I new my form was bad. Monday I will try 315 3x5! That is exciting.

Bench 220 2x5 1x10 No motivation. They were uncomfortable until I did that last set. The last set I did 10 reps very easily.

Dead lift 295 1x5 wow, I love these things. I really need some chalk. Play it again has been out for 2 weeks. I decided to order some online yesterday. I hope it is here by next Wednesday. I have my doubts though. Anyway, I had to re grip on my last rep.

All and all a poor workout. I didn't feel good and didn't feel right. I hope I never have to start working out at 6:30 a.m again. I will be back on here Monday.

The Sun
11-26-2008, 07:45 AM
solid lifting bro! great numbers all across!
I really don't know what can I do about chalk, my gym won't allow any and in general it is not allowed in Israel (gay gyms)

-JM-
11-26-2008, 08:41 AM
Great session Hug Dog

220x10 nice.

hug dog
11-26-2008, 09:18 AM
The sun - I asked my gym about chalk they said it was ok but I would have to clean up my mess. I saw a guy using it the other day and he wiped it up with a towel.

Flynn - I just couldn't get motivated but I wanted to try 10 reps. I asked a guy to spot me and I went nice and slow. It was easy. It is funny. I don't really feel strong but I am just about as strong as I have ever been. This workout did completely wipe me out. Oh you also have to remember that I have a whole lot of fat on me. I weighed 223 right now.

Thanks for the comments.

hug dog
12-01-2008, 08:17 AM
hmm, well I played football Saturday and I pulled a hammy about 20 minutes into the game. It is very sore and painfull. I am going to take a couple days off until it gets better.

hug dog
12-04-2008, 07:39 AM
The good thing is my leg feels allot better. The bad thing is I am sick. I have a bunch of sinus stuff. If I were to guess I would say I won't be able to work out until monday.

hug dog
12-09-2008, 12:50 PM
well, I am about better now. I am not going to be able to start working out until Friday now. I don't see myself having enough energy to play basketball and workout on wednesday.

borracho
12-12-2008, 08:11 AM
Yo! Looks like you've made a lot of progress in a short amount of time. Did your chalk come in? What grip have you been using on DL's so far?

hug dog
12-15-2008, 03:35 PM
Man my body just can not heal right now. My left hamstring is finally feeling better, my cold flu junk is over, but now after basketball last night my left ankle and calf is very sore. (probably because of my hamstring) I do expect to workout tonight! Finally. (need to win this race to 500 lb dead lift) I am going to try to start where I left off.

borracho - yeah I got it in a week ago. I have been using reverse grip. None have really been that hard as of yet. I am trying to finish the starting strength workout before I really push myself to much.

hug dog
12-16-2008, 07:20 AM
Alright first workout back.

For starters I lost 4 lbs so now I am at 220. I am still having leg problems. My calf is constantly flexed and very sore. Since the strong guy in my gym took up the squat rack for over an hour. (mainly talking and resting, got up to 575 squatting)

3x5 ohp 145
5x3 power clean 165
(had to skip squats)
dead lift warmed up 135, 225, 275,
1x5 315 Certainly wasn't real easy and i had to regrip on the 4th one. I think I will still add 20 lbs next workout.

I have a new goal. I would like to compete next february in the Springfield Leftathon! Sounds cheesy and I am sure it is but I am going to try and volunteer and see how it goes.

hug dog
12-18-2008, 07:29 AM
Another solid workout.

Squat 3x5 315 - My left calf is still hurting but these felt great. I went real deep on each one of them.
bench 2x5 - 225 1x10 225. It is obvious that I am still not pushing myself hard enough on these. The last set was nice and slow and as smooth as I could get it.

We had a dinner party we had to be at so I did a little acc work. (db flys, rows, and db incline bench)

I am going to start the new starting stregth workout. It is basically the same besides you add some front squats.

borracho
12-18-2008, 07:45 AM
wow dude...I had no idea you were repping 315 on squats and 225 for bench like that...lookin good dude!!

hug dog
12-18-2008, 08:31 AM
Everything feels good. I need to make a few videos to have my form critiqued though. I only have a cell phone with a video camera so I am going to have to figure out how to set it up.

ZenMonkey
12-19-2008, 01:02 PM
Looking really strong dude. Im so jealous of your squats.

hug dog
12-19-2008, 03:19 PM
Looking really strong dude. Im so jealous of your squats.

Yeah, thats what you think until you feel how sore I have been! One thing to remember about me is that I am still well over weight. My natural body weight would be about 190 and I am 220 right now. That certainly helps out. Plus I am only 5'7 so I am really a load right now. I wish my deads would progress faster. i havn't really pushed myself to hard because every set I do is so hard as it is.

hug dog
12-19-2008, 08:26 PM
That was a hard workout. I couldn't get focused and I was still really sore.

squat 3x5 325 hard but should still be able to add weight
ohp 2x5 155 1x5 135 I failed. No motivation
power clean 5x3 175 felt good but was exhausted

I really wanted to do some acc work but I was way to exhausted

hug dog
12-23-2008, 08:01 AM
The workout started really good and then started to stall at the end. Monday 12/22/08 workout.

squat 3x5 335. first set I used a box just to touch and go so I could feel how deep I needed to go. These were easy today.

Bench 2x5 230 1x10 230. the spotter put his fingers under my last one. He swears he didn't help any. The last 3 reps were hard. I am still going to try to bench 315 before january 1st.

Dead lift 1x5 335 - this was hard. allot harder then I wanted it to be. I think my back was shot at this point.

skull crushers. I havn't done these in a long time but I thought I would give them a go again.

10 - 35
10-55
10-75
10-95

I just added a 10 on each side of the bar on every set. I might have been able to go up to 115 but my muscles were close to being shot.

borracho
12-24-2008, 08:51 AM
*******!

I am super jealous of the squats!

ZenMonkey
12-24-2008, 11:44 AM
Another solid looking workout as usual. Why are the cleans at the end of the WO?

Reko
12-24-2008, 12:21 PM
Where in springfield do you train?

hug dog
12-24-2008, 06:10 PM
Well I do the power cleans last because I am still not doing very heavy weight and I have never thought about changing the order. I guess doing them before ohp would make more since.

I work out at Doling park. I would really like to work out at that new strong man gym but I am working out with my wife so I just makes more since at the family center.

Hmm, very average workout. I changed the breaks on my car and had to fix my furnace.

So I decided to take a couple videos. Now you guys will finally see what a load I am.

squat 345 3x5
ohp with db 40, 50, 60 8 reps
power cleans 185 5x3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1Ume1cMSqI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geM4BboeVqI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ppBQK_jUSo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ppBQK_jUSo

hug dog
12-29-2008, 09:00 AM
So how do I make it so the videos will show on the thread?

hug dog
12-30-2008, 07:25 AM
Had an easy workout. I did finish my goals I had set in october.

I started with bench.

135 1x5
225 1x3
275 1x1
300 1x1 PR
315 1x1 PR
325 near miss (one of my spotters grabbed it, I explained to him 3 times how to spot and to not touch the bar unless it is actually going down.)

Then we got challenged to a basketball game so I finished up real quit.

bench db press
1x10 70
1x10 75
1x10 80

dead lift 1x4 345 (in a rush and my hand slipped on the last one so i just quit.

ZenMonkey
12-30-2008, 08:46 AM
Solid Benching man! Great work.

On the power cleans:
1- Start with you ass lower and feet closer together. Squat/Jump the weight up.
2- Aggressively arch your back
3- Get fuller hip extension
4- I cant tell but it looks like you begin your 2nd pull too early. Keep arms straight until you get hip extension

Get those naied and youll be on your way. See if you can get a better video angle on those next time.

hug dog
12-31-2008, 01:28 PM
We have a party to go to tonight so I had to workout on my lunch break. I am not sure if it was because I was still sore or just the change in time or I am starting to hit my 5 rep max. Because everything was hard. Here we go.

Squat warm up 135 1x8, 225 1x6, 315 1x4,
355 1x5 2x4. My lunch was really crappy and as soon as I would get to 4 I felt like I was going to throw up or pass out.

ohp warm up 95, 135,
3x5 150 lbs.

power cleans 5x3 195. so there was a bunch of high school punks in the gym and they were all running arround so I had to constantly wait until they would move before I could do each set. (a dumb girl walked right next to me while I was doing one of the reps. The weight actually bumped against her. )

After that i was done but I had to force myself to do some lat pull downs. My grip doesn't seem to be nearly strong enough to handle dead lift or power cleans.

I am going to order a gripper. I haven't decided yet which kind I am going to buy. Anyone have any suggestions? I am also going to buy a real belt. I want an inzer belt. The one with the snap. I never seem to be able to get my belt tight enough.

ZenMonkey
12-31-2008, 01:37 PM
Great squatting man! Hard looking WO!

hug dog
01-02-2009, 07:25 AM
Well I got a little bonus so I decided to order the 10 mm inzer belt the one with the clip.

-JM-
01-03-2009, 07:20 AM
Daaaaaamn!! Nice stuff Huggers. Congrats on reaching all of your goals!

hug dog
01-05-2009, 12:14 PM
Man Everything that can go wrong is going wrong. Now I have a virus in my left eye. Docter said it is very contagious and I should take a couple days off. Last time I worked out was Wednesday. At least I am getting enough rest!

So who knows when I am going to get back to the gym. It could take up to 3 weeks. I can barely open my eye and work told me not to come in. Any light at all causes pain.

hug dog
01-17-2009, 07:06 PM
Finally got to go back to the gym yesterday.

Squat.

135 x 5
225 x 5
315 x 5
365 x 4
365 x 4
365 x 3

Well I am getting stuck. BY the time I get to 4 reps I feel really light headed and dizzy. I am not sure what I need to do or change but it is really irritated. I was hoping I would get to 405 before I got stuck

Bench

240 x 5
240 x 5
240 x 10

I took a long break before the last set. (started to talking to a friend)

I still feel like I can add some weight to bench.

I didn't do dead lifts because I was already there for over an hour and I was exhausted. Wednesday for sure. (if my eye doctor will still let me lift)

hug dog
01-21-2009, 09:37 AM
After working out on Friday I had some eye problems. I couldn't see well friday night and it took all weekend to get better. I have a specialist appointment today so hopefully he will have good news for me.

hug dog
01-26-2009, 12:16 PM
Doctor gave me the thumbs up to work out. The problem is the medication is making me quite sick. I did play basketball Wednesday and Sunday. My goal is to work out tonight. I am sure I will have to take it allot easier. I think I will stay light and see how it goes.

hug dog
02-03-2009, 09:12 AM
Finally got the work out again!

Squats

135 1x10
225 1x6
315 1x5
335 1x5
345 1x5

Felt good. Not that hard. Last set I blasted through.

Bench:

135 1x10
225 1x3
250 3x5

I felt weak. I guess thats what happens when you only work out a couple times in a month. I am still going to the eye specialist for my iritus and i got a bunch of tests done on friday. they took 9 viles of blood did 16 different tests on it. 9 x-rays and a urine test. My dr would like me to lose some weight since I am having health problems. So I am going to change up my work out some.

Skull crushers superset with curls

65 1x10
75 2x10
My wife begged me to come home so I quit.

all and all average work out. today I am going to swim laps at lunch.

Twirl
02-03-2009, 09:30 AM
Man hug dog your numbers flew up, should be interesting to see the progress when you get fully healthy and become more consistant. Keep it up.

borracho
02-03-2009, 10:14 AM
I am sorry to see you're having health issues...I hope they all get resolved swiftly.

It looks like your workouts are pretty damn solid, dude..keep it up..2009 looks promising for you.

hug dog
02-03-2009, 10:42 AM
Twirl - Yeah, i started out light so I could get my form back. Odds are I have some kind of immune disorder but I will try to workout healthy or not. Thanks for the encouragement.

Borracho. Thanks. I feel great when I workout but it is hard to push my self enough to do it. Plus I have spent a small fortune in dr bills so far. I am afraid it is not done yet. I have been to the dr 9 times in the last month. Thanks for the kind words.

mattburns
02-03-2009, 03:54 PM
Some big numbers in here mate, hope you get back to full health soon and back to lifting heavy.

ZenMonkey
02-03-2009, 05:14 PM
Lookin real strong Hug! I see you got 5 reps on that squat, great work!

hug dog
02-04-2009, 07:25 AM
mattburns - thanks. I am afraid I might not go very heavy for a while. In order to get healthy I need to lose some weight so I might do a little more cardio for a bit. I am thinking of changing to a 5 x 5 workout. (need to stall on bench first though)

Zen - It seems the more rest I get the better squats feel. (until the next day. wow I am sore today) thanks for the encouragement.

hug dog
02-09-2009, 09:55 AM
02/06/09

poor workout.

Bench

255 2x5 pr
255 1x4

Obviously I wanted to get 3x5 but I just couldn't push that last rep. I am going to switch to 5x5 starting today. (I can only work out two days a week so it will be changed a little)

Deadlift.
225 x 5
315 x 3
365 x 1
375 x 1 pr
385 x 1 pr
395 x 1 pr
405 x miss

By the time I got to 405 my back was wore out. I have been really sore that last couple of days.

After that I was shot. I wanted to do ohp or pc but I didn't have the energy.

Painzer
02-09-2009, 10:29 AM
Looking good in here man! But are you sure your Bench numbers in your sig line are up to date? a 315 max but only 255 x 5? I can do 265 x 5 and my max isn't even close to 3pps...

hug dog
02-09-2009, 01:17 PM
Well I have only been working out since October so I am just finishing up starting strength. I maxed on on 12/30/08. It went like this

135 1x5
225 1x3
275 1x1
300 1x1 PR
315 1x1 PR

I am sure I could put up more then 255 x 5 I have just never tried. Soon enough though. I will be starting 5x5 workout tonight.

hug dog
02-10-2009, 09:06 AM
So I really liked this work out. I felt great afterwards. Probably because it was easy and I could finish it. Here is how it went.

02/09/09
squat:
5 x 175
5 x 210
5 x 265
5 x 300
5 x 340

all way to easy but it was a good break and more reps then I am used to.

bench:
5 x 135
5 x 165
5 x 205
5 x 225
5 x 260

The first 4 sets were stupid easy. Like warm ups. The last set felt great. I grabbed a spotter but didn't even come close to needing one.

row:

So I have not done rows in years. and never done them for an extended period of time.

5 x 95
5 x 115
5 x 135
5 x 155
5 x 175

All sets were easy. I will bump these up a little bit. Felt great though

hypers:
15 x 25 lbs
15 x 25 lbs

easy just trying to get the feel of it.

sit ups.

4 sets of 20. (will add weight in the future.)

borracho
02-10-2009, 09:31 AM
Dude..you're looking good all around...super pressing/squatting in here...keep it up!!!

hug dog
02-10-2009, 09:46 AM
Thanks. Bill star 5 x 5 is so different then starting strength. I can tell that I needed the change. I haven't had as much as I had last night in a long time.

hug dog
02-10-2009, 11:07 AM
Might as well track everything I do.

02/10/09

just to show how out of shape I am in.

I swam laps today.

did

total of 10 laps

and then I practiced, butterfly, back stroke, and making the turn when swimming.

I am going on a vacation to puerto Rico in May and i want to be as comfortable as I can be in the water.

hug dog
02-12-2009, 07:46 AM
work out for 02/11/09

Started with incline bench. I had not done this in a few years so i wasn't sure how it would go. It felt good but still uncomforable.

5 x 135
5 x 185
5 x 205
5 x 215
I stopped there. I feel my best 5 would be at least 225 so that is what I am going to base my 5x5 workout off of.

Dead lift

5 x 200
5 x 240
5 x 280
5 x 320

Lighter then what I am used to but that is what 5x5 calls for. So that is what I did.

then I played basketball for about and 1 1/2 hours. Whatever team I was on seemed to lose today. I went 1 - 3. But every game went into overtime I just couldn't make the clutch shots. For two of them i was covering a guy who has at least 8 inchs on me. So that is like 12 inchs of reach at least.

hug dog
02-16-2009, 08:56 AM
Another good work out on 02/13/09. It still seems easy but I like the volume. It took about an hour and a half which is a little longer then I want. So guy was doing half squat on the squat rack and then doing some track exercise. He used it (talking half the time for over an hour. I had to squat last. grrrrr

anyway here is how it went:

bench:
5 x 135
5 x 165
5 x 205
5 x 230
3 x 270
8 x 205

row:
5 x 95
5 x 115
5 x 135
5 x 155
3 x 185
ran to squat rack

squat:

5 x 185
5 x 215
5 x 260
5 x 300
3 x 350
8 x 260

weighted dips
8 x 25
8 x 35
6 x 45

curls w/ curl bar
3 x 8 85

tricep extensions

8 65
8 75
8 95

Still loving this work out. I was pours sweat by the time i was done but I could still walk and didn't have any pain (besides my left hand which I hurt it 3 weeks ago, mainly my pinky fingure)

mattburns
02-16-2009, 12:23 PM
Looking good pal, strong benching and squatting, all in one session!

Good to see the 5 x 5 is working for you.

ZenMonkey
02-16-2009, 03:15 PM
Nice work! Looks like squatting last didnt do too much harm!

hug dog
02-17-2009, 08:26 AM
mattburns - people at the gym think I am crazy for benching and squatting. To them I am doing allot of weight. It is fun to ask for a spot, they get nervous. thanks for the support

ZenMonkey - It is funny since I took a little break I haven't felt extremely comfortable with the squats yet. thanks for the kind words.

Mondays workout 02/16/09

Squat
5 x 185
5 x 225
5 x 265
5 x 305
5 x 350 Last one was a bit of a grinder and for some reason I leaned forward a little bit. I think I was getting tired by this point.

Bench

5 x 135
5 x 165
5 x 205
5 x 235
5 x 270 - last one was a grinder. I told my spotter to let me push it myself. he did and it felt good. 275 x 5 this week. can't wait!

Row - remember this is the 3rd time I have ever really done these before

5 x 95
5 x 115
5 x 135
5 x 155
5 x 185

None were hard it is just difficult getting used to the form. On the last set I sat each rep down and started from the bottom again. I really did 6 or 7 rips just trying to see what heavier weight feels like.

Hypers

2 x 10 with 35 lbs

4 x 20 ab pull downs, started with 30 and went up to 70. Felt good and a little different. I hate sit ups so I am trying to do them every other time.

So the workout felt good. next Monday I might start with bench so I have the energy to finish the last set. I get to change my 5 rep max today in my sig! 270 on bench. starting to feel strong. Oh and I lost a pound. I am currently at 215! Only 15 more pounds to go before the end of May!

-JM-
02-17-2009, 08:30 AM
Glad to see you back at it properly hugdog!......and looking damn strong with those lifts.

hug dog
02-18-2009, 07:50 AM
Flynn - It is going to take me a while to really feel like I am back in it. Still getting more sore then i want to me. Thanks for the complement. I don't feel real strong but it will come.

02/17/09

Swam 12 laps. Took about 30 minutes with some talking and resting in between. (still not a better swimmer but I look forward to the change of pace.)

Coke
02-18-2009, 09:52 AM
Moving big weights around in here and doing great, props on the efforts including the swimming laps.

ZenMonkey
02-18-2009, 11:58 AM
Dude... strong as ****!!!!! Your bench and sq #s say alot about how strong you are. Great work!!

Painzer
02-18-2009, 12:12 PM
Damn dude... looking really strong in here.. Nice work!

borracho
02-18-2009, 01:26 PM
Nice big workouts in here man...

How did you like the incline bench? The numbers looked pretty damn good!!

hug dog
02-18-2009, 01:59 PM
CoCoa - laps kills me every time! I need to get my breathing down or something. haha thanks

Zen - thanks. Hopefully this is just a start. Since I am kinda on a cut (more like eat healthy and exercise allot) I am not sure how much I will gain for a while. I am starting to feel good about my workouts.

Painzer - thanks. I think the new workout is going to do me good.

borracho - since I hadn't done them in a long time I was worried but they felt good. I have to use the power rack to incline in, so breaking the weight is hard on the shoulders! I also feel it a little to much in my elbows. I think I need to widen my grip. Today I will incline before basketball and I will see how it goes. I would like to try 225 for a few but I know I need to stick with the work out. Thanks for the kind words.

ZenMonkey
02-18-2009, 02:06 PM
I hear ya. I just began bulking again because I was going crazy trying to get sub 10% and get my numbers higher.

hug dog
02-19-2009, 07:07 AM
02/18/09 short but good workout.

Incline bench:
5 x 135
5 x 165
5 x 185
5 x 215

Deadlift:
5 x 205
5 x 250
5 x 295
5 x 330

Then I played basketball for 2 hours. Had some amazing games. My 8 to 12 jumper was on. Had one game where I scored 9 of our teams 11 points and I didn't miss a shot?

(there were a few rough games. today my hip and neck hurt so we will see how much they heal by tomorrow.)

FFHill
02-19-2009, 07:28 AM
a huggins playing ball? any relation to Bobby?

hug dog
02-19-2009, 09:07 AM
Not that I know of? Nope, all family is in central MO.

brihead301
02-19-2009, 09:38 AM
I like the 5x5 because it has ramping sets rather then straight sets. That's much less taxing on the body, yet still effective. However, I don't like doing 5x5's for deadlifts. Even though it's ramping, I like to save my energy for that one heavy last set. You're looking good in here though so far. Nice lifts!!

hug dog
02-19-2009, 09:53 AM
brihead301 - I tend to agree with you on deadlifts and that is certainly what I have read also. My biggest problem is hand strength so I figure more sets should help my hand strength more. Even my last set of 330 I had to reset my hands after 3 reps.

hug dog
02-21-2009, 11:42 AM
Good workout on 02/20/09

Had to start with Bench due to squat rack being used.

Bench.
5 x 135
5 x 175
5 x 205
5 x 235
3 x 275
8 x 205

squats

5 x 175
5 x 225
5 x 265
5 x 305
3 x 360
8 x 265

Row

5 x 85
5 x 115
5 x 135
5 x 175
3 x 195

weighted dips

3 x 8 35lbs super set with

curls
3 x 35's db

ty extension super set with cable curls
3 x 10 with 10 ,12 ,14 (guess 50, 60, 70lbs.)

Overall a great workout. Everything went up easy. I can't wait to put up 275 x 5 next week. Hope to find a good spotter. Anything over 250 I like to have a break. Just feels more comfortable on my shoulders.

Sunday i am taking a break from basketball so I should feel energized on Monday.

borracho
02-21-2009, 01:31 PM
What sort of grip are you using on the DLs? Mixed or neutral?

Nice workout buddy..looking strong.

hug dog
02-23-2009, 07:13 AM
borracho - I am using a mixed grip. A big problem that I am having is that I hurt my left hand 3 or 4 weeks ago. Since I refuse to let it rest and keep working out it just hasn't gotten better yet. It had healed some but my grip isn't back yet.

-JM-
02-23-2009, 12:59 PM
Nice session hug dog. Your strength is soaring rapidly.

ZenMonkey
02-23-2009, 01:47 PM
Great work man! You are a strong huggins

hug dog
02-26-2009, 08:50 AM
Well no matter what I do I just can't keep myself healthy. saturday and Sunday My left arm kept going numb. I decided I would take a break to let it heal and try to get my hand to heal. My arm feel much better buy my hand feels worse then it did before? oh well. I will hit the weights Friday. I think I will just skip the Monday workout and do a friday work out.

I played basketball last night. Had an average game. i think my team with 4 -1. Played with some punk kids. felt good beating them. One guy kept dunking on me. (not very hard since I am 5 ' 7)

borracho
03-01-2009, 08:39 AM
What'd you do to your hand? And the numbness on the left arm? I injured the radial nerve around a year ago doing chin ups..in doing so, my left forearm and hand was numb for about a month...it sucked.

Best of luck to you, dude...injuries suck, and even more so when they seem to come and come and come with no breaks in between to make progress.

hug dog
03-02-2009, 08:45 AM
I hurt my hand rock climbing. It has been about a month now so I should probably get it looked at. My dad popped my neck and back and I feel a whole lot better. I should be able to work out tonight.

But, It is possible I am buying a house and if that is the case I will probably be spending time and money on getting it ready to move it. So if that is the case I am sure working out will have to go to the back burner again.

hug dog
03-03-2009, 09:06 AM
After a week off I was back at it yesturday. Average workout.

03/02/09

Squat:
185 x 5
225 x 5
270 x 5
315 x 5
360 x 5

Bench
135 x 5
175 x 5
205 x 5
240 x 5
275 x 5 new pr

bent over rows
115 x 5
135 x 5
155 x 5
185 x 5
205 x 5 PR

hypers

45 x 8
45 x 8

leg lifts x 20
laying knee ups x 20
crunches x 20

I felt very light headed on the last set of squats. besides that good solid workout.

ZenMonkey
03-03-2009, 02:33 PM
Good WO man! Youll get back into the swing in no time.

hug dog
10-20-2009, 09:20 AM
Wow, I have been away for a long time. Time to get back into it now. I want to a national power lifting meet in Rolla MO over the weekend and watched a friend lift. He is crazy strong. Kid weighed in at 165 and Benched 350, squatted, 450, and dead lifted 550. that gave me enough motivation to want to get into shape and try to get some strength. I took a break due to health and buying a house.

hug dog
10-20-2009, 09:24 AM
So I am going to do the Bill Starr 5 X 5.

Here was Monday. (first day working out in 8 months.)

squat
5 x 145
5 x 185
5 x 225
5 x 265
5 x 295
I was using a box and the last set i just touched and didn't fully sit down. felt great though

Bench
5 x 105
5 x 135
5 x 165
5 x 190
5 x 225

was only supposed to do like 215 but it everything was so light. I could have done 10 x 225 but thought I would take it slow.

Rows
5 x 85
5 x 105
5 x 135
5 x 155
5 x 175

I hate rows. I am not good and rows. This is something I need to improve on! Might alternate this and power cleans but we will see.

It is nice to have both of my hands healthy.

I also finished with hpers and leg raises. then I did some cardio. walked and ran with my wife.

ZenMonkey
10-20-2009, 09:33 AM
Nice WO man. Good to see yo uback!

brihead301
10-20-2009, 09:56 AM
Damn, you must feel great after an 8 month layoff. Once the soreness subsides, you'll feel just like you did 8 months ago!

hug dog
10-20-2009, 10:12 AM
Zen, thanks glad to be back.

bri - I hope I gain everything back fast. I deserve to be sore after taking such a long break.

ONe thing I forgot to add is that I am at 208 lbs right now. In order to lift competitivly I need to be down to 180. that won't be easy but well worth it if I can do it.

borracho
10-20-2009, 12:54 PM
welcome back man....workout looked awesome..as usual.

hug dog
10-22-2009, 07:28 AM
Well I was certainly sore yesturday but as I stretched that went away fast. I had an average lifting day. Here is what it looked like:

Squat 5 145
5 185
5 225
5 225
This was great because it stretched me out great. (light day for 5x5)

over head press
5 105
5 135
5 165
3 180
I am doing to have to use dubm bells or smith machine because it just doesn't work out of the power rack! I think I will rotate them.

Deadlift 5 185
5 225
5 255
5 295

Light but felt good. My grip feels stronger now that my hand is healed. Still tried to slip on 3rd set withour chalk. I added chalk on the last set and had not problem.

I then played basketball for an hour and a half. I had good energy. Played defense and passed. My arms could handle shooting to much.

Darracq
10-22-2009, 10:56 AM
you didnt loose to much strength for not lifting for 8 months. I would loose 75lbs off all my lift in that time.

hug dog
10-22-2009, 11:30 AM
I took allot off of all of my workouts. I am gonna take it slow for a while. I think I will start the 5/3/1 work out. Just read the book and it was great.

borracho
10-22-2009, 11:52 AM
you didnt loose to much strength for not lifting for 8 months. I would loose 75lbs off all my lift in that time.

No ****..me too.

Looking awesome HD!

ZenMonkey
10-22-2009, 06:44 PM
DLs look solid bro, nice WO!

Coke
10-23-2009, 07:51 AM
DLs look solid bro, nice WO!

I agree, doing very well man.

hug dog
10-23-2009, 08:56 AM
borracho - endurance is the first thing to go. The bigger the workout become the harder they will be for me.

Zen and CoCoa - That is what a mended hand will do. Not 100% sure I had broke it but i certainly had messed it up. 8 months latter and it feels great. Gripe is weak but I will work on it.

So since I joined that little fun competition on here I am going to push myself to figure out what my maxes are by then. After that I will start the 5/3/1. I only read part of the book but I might be a believer. I feel like I want to get strong but I also need to get healthy. 208 is still to much weight for my body. 180-190 would be great.

hug dog
10-23-2009, 07:22 PM
I didn't have allot of energy today. Here is how it looked

Squat
5 X 145
5 x 185
5 x 225
5 x 265
3 x 315

was supposed to do another light set but just couldn't push myself enough

Bench

5 x 15
5 x175
5 x 175
5 x 205
5 x 235
10 x 165

bench felt great.

Row

5 x 95
5 x 105
5 x 135
5 x 155
5 x 185
grabbed dumb bells and did
15 x 35s

assistance
dips 10, 10 ,5 (poor poor poor)
preacher curls 65 10, 10, 10
skull crushers 65 10 , 8

happy enough was exhausted after I was done.

Coke
10-24-2009, 10:12 AM
Looks good overall bro.

hug dog
10-26-2009, 07:43 AM
Just got my new squat shoes in! (not really squat shoes but they are Converse Chuck Taylors:)

borracho
10-26-2009, 07:42 PM
Nice workout man...and enjoy the shoes haha....I need to get a pair of chucks...I've been using my adidas evolutions...not the best work out shoe.

-JM-
10-27-2009, 04:19 AM
Huggers! Welcome back man. Looking strong.

brihead301
10-27-2009, 07:06 AM
Nice squats man. Still doing 3 plates after the layoff....good s*** man!!!

hug dog
10-27-2009, 07:46 AM
10/26/09
weight 211 - I ate and ate and ate over the weekend. I always do this at first. My goal is to get to 190 and stay there.

Squats
5 x 155
5 x 195
5 x 235
5 x 275
5 x 315
These were box squats. The last one the bar slipped some and tore my back up! It made me bleed through my shirt.

Bench.

5 x 145
5 x 175
5 x 205
4 x 245 boo!

Was exhausted from squats and had motivation problems. I should have tried a 5th but 4 was tough and hurt.

Rows.

5 x 135
5 x 145
5 x 155
5 x 165
grabbed a 55 and did 1 set of 10 dumb bell rows

Did 4 sets of crunches.

All and all fine workout and I was exhausted when i finished. Bench was bad but I will keep pushing myself so I can discover my true max.

hug dog
10-27-2009, 07:52 AM
borracho - I didn't really notice much with the shoes but after doing so research I discovered it can be bad on the knees to squat with the wrong shoes. Something about the rubber allowing your feet to move. These cost $30 shipped from eBay.

Flynn - Thanks. Great to be back. Funny how my body isn't nearly has sore as last year.

brihead301 - I love me some squats. Not to good at them but they just feel good. I would like to get over 400 by end of November. (big wish)

a big Thanks to everyone who checks out my journal. it really helps me to stay motivated. Like everyone my life is so busy that I not only have to make time to workout I have to force my self to do it.

hug dog
10-29-2009, 07:38 AM
workout for 10/28/09

Squats

135 x 5
225 x 5
235 x 5
Just to get me warmed up

OHP
135 x 5
145 x 5
170 x 4

db ohp
50 x 5
60 x 5

Deadlift
145 x 5
225 x 5
265 x 5
315 x 5

felt good just getting back into the groove

Played basketball for an hour after work out.

hug dog
02-24-2011, 10:45 AM
Yep it has been a while. Life has thrown some curve balls but I think I am back. I have been working out with a friend. (body building type) for the the last month. Feeling good. My weight is back up so I think it is time to get serious again.

Currently I weigh 222lbs - Here was my first workout

Squats

135 x 5
185 x 5
225 x 5
245 x 5

I actually used a box that was below parrel. This was very easy but felt great.

OHP db
50 x 5
60 x 5
70 x 5
80 x 3

If I had a spotter I might have gotten 5 but I was a bit worried.

Deadlift
145 x 5
225 x 5
275 x 5
315 x 5

felt good just getting back into the groove

Also did leg lifts
some lateral raises
shrugs

I hope to report back on Friday.

borracho
02-24-2011, 11:05 AM
Nice to see you back bud!

brihead301
02-24-2011, 08:07 PM
Ya man...good to see that you got back at it. That's not a bad session at all for not lifting (serious lifting I mean) in a year and a half!!! You're gonna be sore as hell!

hug dog
02-25-2011, 08:39 AM
I thought i was going to be sore but I don't really feel much today. Tonight I will be pushing myself on squats though. We will see how it goes.

hug dog
02-26-2011, 05:07 PM
Another good work out. I took some animal stack that I friend gave me.

Squat 5 145
5 185
5 225
5 265
3 315
8 225
Bench 5 105
5 135
5 165
5 205
3 225
3 275
Row 5 85
5 105
5 135
5 155
3 185

Weighted Dips 3 sets of 8 reps of 25lbs
3 sets curls. bar plus 20, 40, 50

Felt strong yesturday.

Squats all went up easy. I used a box on all of them but the last set. On the last set of 8 I decided to go without the box. Work on form a bit.

Bench was great. I didn't actually count all of my reps because I didn't 265 3 times as well. Throwing 275 up 3 times felt great. Going to have to adjust the workout a bit on this one.

Rows - Hate them. I don't feel like I do the right form and they are really hard. I might go to db Rows for a bit.

borracho
02-27-2011, 07:10 PM
Doing awesome bud!! Strong bench!

Mark!
02-28-2011, 04:06 PM
Things are looking good man. I squat in my chucks, I feel more stable in them, good stuff. Nice work, keep it up.

hug dog
02-28-2011, 08:12 PM
Yeah Chucks rock.

Another good workout. I ate before I worked out so my stomach didn't feel the best. Anyway Here we go;

Squats:

135 x 5
185 x 5
225 x 5
265 x 5
315 x 5

Bench

135 x 5
165 x 5
185 x 5
205 x 5
245 x 5

Rows
135 x 5
135 x 5
155 x 5
185 x 5
185 x 5

Weighted Hypers

25 lb x 10
35 lb x 10

Squats are still easy. I am doing them with a box. Sitting for a second and then lifting. Need to either readjust my belt or lose some weight. haha

Bench was a bit tougher. Didn't have much energy after squats. Could have put up 245 at least 2 or 3 more times

Rows: Decided to look up correct form on these. After doing them right they are much easier. (wasn't bent over enough before) Don't think I can do much more weight but still glad I can actually do them.

Hypers were just bad. They made my lower back cramp up multiple times. The drive home was miserable.

borracho
03-01-2011, 07:59 AM
those squats are impressive! What kind of belt are you using?

brihead301
03-01-2011, 08:11 AM
I concur about the chucks!!!

Some good ol' full body training I see. It's been a while since I've done this type of training. I forgot how much fun it is ;).

hug dog
03-02-2011, 07:39 PM
Well, I made a big mistake. I forgot my workout. So this is how it went down.

Squat
135 x 5
225 x 5
315 x 5
365 x 1
385 x 1
405 miss

OHP
135 x 5
155 x 5
165 x 5

Dead lift

135 x 5
225 x 5
315 x 5
365 x 1
385 x 1

sit ups

explain more tomorrow. To hungry and tired now :)

hug dog
03-03-2011, 07:14 AM
Well, I got a little crazy yesturday. I just wanted to see what some real weight felt like on my back. I really didn't try to hard on the 405 I was just wore out by then.

Squats felt great.

OHP I am supposed to be doing incline bench but it seems that all of the guys at the gym only care about their upper bodies so every bench was being used most of the time. I was actually one of those "guys" taking up the power rack the entire time. anyway I just couldn't get motivated. I hate doing these standing but that was my only option and it was making my lower back hurt.

Dead lift I hope I am finally getting a hang of these. I blew right through the first sets and decided to see what I could pull. I need to work on concentration and not giving up. For some reason I just don't know how to do that on dead lifts. All and all I can at least change my signature to show 385 squat and 385 dead.

The funny thing is the only part of my body that doesn't feel good is my abs. I did 2 sets of sit ups and grabbed that wheel thing and stretched everything out on the ground.

Dan Fanelli
03-03-2011, 02:42 PM
Its good to see you are back into things. For abs, look into "pallof presses" aka anti-rotation presses. Also an extended plank for time works pretty well. Its similar to a pushup position, but as you get stronger you move your arms out in front of you further and further making the distance from your feet to your hands further. Hold these for 20-40 seconds.

hug dog
03-03-2011, 03:12 PM
Dan - Thanks I will give that a try.

I really need to get a hold of a video camera and let your guys tell me everything I am doing wrong.

hug dog
03-04-2011, 06:58 PM
Great workout tonight!!

I have been taking naNOx9 not a 100% what it is but it is made by muscletech. My father gave it to me. Anyway I didn't take it today and I felt great all by myself. Here we go:

Squat
5 x165
5 x 205
5 x 245
5 x 285
5 x 335
8 x 245

Bench
5 x 135
5 x 155
5 x 185
5 x 215
5 x 255
8 x 215

Row
5 x 85
5 x 110
5 x 135
5 x 155
8 x 180

assistance
Dips 3 sets of 8 with 35lbs
barbell curls straight bar 65, 75, 85
over head extension 50, 70 80 8 reps

Squats - Did all but the last set with a box. 335 felt heavy but I still have more in me.

Bench - all sets were easy. Can't wait to increase. That is why I did 5 on the heavy set.

Rows - still feels light but form is a bit weird. Had some guys in the gym who said they don't use a straight bar because it is hard on the back and hard to get the right form.

The only issue I had tonight was my back got super tight really fast. I did every stretch I could think of and nothing seemed to help.

hug dog
03-07-2011, 06:40 PM
So today I had no energy and my stomach was giving me issues all day. But I pushed through it and worked out anyway. Glad I did.

Squat:
5 x 165
5 x 210
5 x 250
5 x 295
5 x 335

Bench:
5 X 135
5 X 160
5 X 190
5 X 225
8 X 255

B O ROWS
5 X 90
5 X 115
5 X 135
5 X 160
5 X 185

Assistance:

2 sets of 8 Weighted Hypers 35 lbs man I hate these.
abs: legs raises, leg ab crunchs, 35 lb ab raises, 80 lb rope pull downs.

Squats: all felt good and not to heavy. Still having issues with my back tightening up. I am starting to think there might be something wrong. I have to stretch it out almost every time I do squats. Oh I almost forgot I did these with a box.

Bench: It was kind of funny. 225 felt heavy but 255 just flew up. I think it was because I am able to focus some much more on the heavy sets.

Rows: Ok, I think I have them down now. I need to start adding real weight to these. After the last set I decided to do some Power Cleans. Now sure about the form but I did do 3 of them with 185. I used straps just to make sure I didn't break any mirrors.

I finally decided to do all of the assistance work. I hate abs but I think that is my weakest link.

hug dog
03-09-2011, 06:12 PM
Wednesday work out

Since I wasn't able to get an incline bench last week I switched up the workout and did incline first.

incline bench:
5 X153
5 x 155
5 x 175
5 x 200

Deadlift
5 x 205
5 x 250
5 x 295
5 x 335

Squat
5 x 170
5 x 210
5 x 250
5 x 250

Incline - All were easy. I will be able able to increase fast for a while on this one. I hate the power rack because I can't get close enough to the bar.

Deadlifts - I feel like I have quite a bit left in me. I lower left back seemed to get tight real fast doing these.

Squats - back was tight so I just blasted through these real fast.

Did some Abs.

hug dog
03-11-2011, 08:45 PM
Great work out tonight. I went above and beyond.

Squat
5 x 165
5 x 210
5 x 250
5 x 295
5 x 345
8 x 250

Bench

5 x 135
5 x 160
5 x 190
5 x 225
5 x 260
8 x 190

Row
5 x 135
5 x 135
5 x 135
5 x 160
5 x 185

Assistance
Weighted dips 3 Sets of 8 with 45lbs
curl bar 65 x 8, 75 x 8, 85 x 8
triceps push down 3 sets of 8 50, 60, 70

So Squats felt great. I read a suggestion that if your back is getting tight to do some cardio first. So I walked/ran the tract for maybe a 1/4 mile. Still had some stiffness but much much better. I hope this is the answer.

Bench - so the first 3 sets feels like I am doing 5 push ups but the other sets feel nice. Still have allot more weight I can add. Today no one else was working out and on the last set I like to have a spotter so I grabbed 2 15 year old kids. I told them to stand on either side and I would tell them to help if I needed any. They both asked why I stopped at only 5.

Rows - I was a bit tired and didn't want to add small weight at first so I just skipped it. Went straight to 45's. This is still a form thing. Once I get it down I will be good to go. I don't think I am putting the bar close enough to my legs.

Dips are so much fun. I have almost all of the weight I am going to be able for now.

If you didn't get a chance to check out the question I asked about getting strong on the main power lifting forum. You should check it out. I received allot of guidance and allot of motivation.

hug dog
03-15-2011, 08:21 AM
Work out for Monday 3/14/11

Squat:
5 x 175
5 x 215
5 x 260
5 x 300
5 x 345

Bench
5 x 135
5 x 165
5 x 195
5 x 225
6 x 260

Row
5 x 135
5 x 155
5 x 175
5 x 195
5 x 225 with straps.

Assistance -

Hypers with a 45lb plate
3 sets of ball crunches

Squats - I warmed up really well before starting. (jogged the track and stretched) My back was a bit tight but not as bad as normal. Last set was tough. I still feel like I can add weight. Friday I plan on using a box again.

Bench - all sets were easy. I got a good spotter but didn't use him. If I could do it again I would have pushed myself to get a few extra with the 260.

Rows - I just feel like they were so light. I think I will keep adding 5 pounds to each exercise until I am tapped out. (I just hate using any weight but the 45lbs)

Here is the bad news - After working out my lower back was very tight and I was in a bit of pain. This morning I woke up was an ache in my back. I think I will skip the squats on Wednesday this week. I think the Hypers really destroy my back.

StLRPh
03-15-2011, 02:04 PM
I didn't want to clutter your other thread so I posted here. You may want to check out this guy for equipment:
http://shop.thekettlebellking.com/

he has some good prices on a lot of different stuff and you won't have to pay shipping. I'd email him directly and tell him what you want and see if he can hook you up. He quoted me a good price on a bar a few months ago (ended up getting something else).

brihead301
03-15-2011, 02:14 PM
Damn man....I didn't realize you could squat so much weight! All that in a full-body workout too!!! That is damn impressive man!

Have you ever hit the 405 before? If so, what was your all time best squat?

hug dog
03-15-2011, 03:11 PM
StL - thanks I will take a look. I just got a call from a guy who has 2 45's and 7 10's and said he would take $25 for them. Great deal!

Bri - I hit 385 2 weeks ago but couldn't get 405 at the end of a work out. I have never really tried to get a 1rm. I plan on switching work outs when I stall on all levels of this one, at that time I will max. I actually just got a video camera today and plan on recording some video to check on form.

I have a workout partner who has been away with work for about a month but should be back and I hope we can agree on a workout we both like. he wants to do body building type and I want to build my core up first.

hug dog
03-15-2011, 03:17 PM
Need to give a quick update:

I am making my Garage a workout gym. I have a friend who has most of the needed equiptment and we worked out a deal where he could store it in my garage as long as I can use it. He has a power rack, adjustable bench, pulldown machine, 2 big bars, curl bar, 405 of total weight, and dumb bells from 25 to 80lbs. I will take pictures and update as we put them together.

hug dog
03-21-2011, 07:59 AM
I am in the middle of cleaning and repairing our garage. That means not much time for working out. Wednesday I didn't work out at all but my back needed the rest. Friday we had friends over for dinner so I worked out Saturday morning at 7. It was tough but went well. I forgot to bring my workout so I just winged it.

Bench:

5 x 135
5 x 185
5 x 225
5 x 265

Squat:
5 x 135
5 x 225
5 x 315
3 x 350

Rows
5 x 135
5 x 165
5 x 195
5 x 225

Assistance :
superset machine curls and press downs.

I was so tired so I started with bench. Everything was super easy. Should have done a couple more with 265 but didn't have a spotter.

The last set of squats went ok, I am only supposed to do 3 so that is all I did. I drank a protein shake and my stomach was not happy with me.

I just love Rows now. They feel good. Not sure how much my weight I can add but I will give it a try soon.

hug dog
03-23-2011, 01:55 PM
This is going to have to be my rest week. Really stinks but I hurt my back doing some work on the house and I am just to busy putting the garage together. I did make my second purchase for the home gym. Check it out!

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u70/jah2707/weiderrack.jpg

It should do the job. The only other thing we need is a weight rack and I found a couple cheap cool ideas online.

http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/26/13426.jpg

borracho
03-23-2011, 03:38 PM
Nice man! I love the gym(s) I go to but it'd def be nice to have some equipment at home as well for when I just dont feel like going after work...or to get some work in on saturday/sunday. Awesome benching too!

hug dog
03-31-2011, 11:46 AM
ok, just got the garage 90% ready for the big move in. I just need to put up some flashing.

I am still going to the chiropractor trying to get my back rib to stay and place and not wake me up in the middle of the night. Either way should be able to work out some Friday!

brihead301
04-01-2011, 10:12 AM
Home gym....you lucky bastard!!!

Looks exactly like the squat rack I use in my gym.

I've been contemplating making a home gym for myself for a while now. Good luck with it brotha!

hug dog
04-01-2011, 11:34 AM
I hope to hit the gym a bit tonight. I will take some updated pictures once it is all in place. The only thing I have left to make is a weight rack and deadlift platform.

hug dog
04-20-2011, 07:50 AM
Ok, After a much needed break (due to injury) I have decided to start the 5x5 over again so I needed new Maxes. Here is how last night went.

Bench:
290 x 1
315 x 1
330 x 1 PR
340 x 1 PR
350 x 1 PR!!!

Squat
315 x 1
385 x 1
405 miss

Deadlift
315 x 1
405 x 1 PR
465 miss
425 x 1 PR

WOW! Never in my wildest dreams did I expect to hit a 350 bench! My work out partner is much stronger then me on bench. He went from 325 to 355 and missed it. AFter that his confidence was shot and he did bad on all the rest. I just kept adding weight. THere was a ton of yelling and slapping going on.

Squat - very sad. 385 felt easy but I starting leaning forward on 405 and just bailed out. I am sure I can do it but I would probably have to do it fresh at least before benching.

Deadlift - My partner is weak on legs but he pulled 405 first so I knew I had to do it. Just felt like nothing. 465 came off the ground but I couldn't quite lock it out. 425 was a grinder and was very ugly but at the end if was locked out.

I went a little crazy on my "man cave" Garage Gym. I found an amazing deal on craigslist I couldn't pass up. A dude was selling a nice bench, 45lb bar, weight rack, and a pair of 45s, 35s, 25s, 10s,5s and 1 - 2 1/2 for $50! So now we actually have 8 45lb plates and 2 full benchs. (we are going to store one of them) we also have 3 45lb bars and 2 weight racks. We are going to put one of the racks on wheels that way we can have weight on both sides of the bench or squat rack.

So according to the specs the racks pegs are not supposed to have over 315 on them but they held 405 and didn't move. What an incredible day of lifting.

borracho
04-20-2011, 07:59 AM
Nice man! Huge PR there on the bench. I bet you coulda pulled that 425 pretty easily had you not gone after the 465 before hand. Nice seeing you back and hope you stay injury free!

hug dog
04-20-2011, 08:23 AM
borracho - Thanks - Now that I have a Gym so close I should be able to stick with it much better. After setting that PR on Bench that means I am going to be pushing allot more weight in more workouts. SHould be exciting. It still doesn't feel real that I was able to do it.

hug dog
04-27-2011, 07:42 AM
Workout from Monday 4/25/11

Squat 5 160
5 200
5 240
5 280
5 315
Bench 5 145
5 180
5 215
5 250
5 290
Row 5 110
5 135
5 160
5 190
5 215

Squats: I am bummed about my poor squat so it makes me start low on the first couple weeks. Last set of 315 was very easy.

Bench: 5 x 290 was way hard. I did it but it is going to take everything I have to stay at this weight.

Rows: Last set was a bit tough but I am really liking this movment.

Also did crunchs and leg lifts.

hug dog
04-28-2011, 08:06 AM
Work out from Wednesday 4/27/11

Front Squat
5 160
5 200
5 240
5 240 I just squatted this. The front squats were killing my shoulders and today I have massive bruises.

Incline Bench
5 135
5 160
5 185
5 215

Deadlift 5 225
5 265
5 310
10 350

Front Squats - This is really the first time I have done them. They felt great. Puts all of the pressure on the front of the legs. I did notice my knees popping allot more. My workout partner always has problems getting the right depth and with Front squats he always went deep enough. My biggest complaint is how to hold them. The first set I must have held it wrong and it really dug into my shoulders.

Incline bench - All sets were easy. I am just getting used to form and it will be nice to be adding some real weight. Only issue I have it breaking the weight off of the rack. Heavy sets are going to be a pain.

Deadlifts - Well this is where a workout partner is going to come in handy. My workout partner was lifting a bit less then me on the last set. 335 x 5's but he went for 10 instead. Well obviously the competitive side of me came out and I decided I had to match him with my 350 x 10. They all felt but but by the end my grip was almost gone.

john o
05-01-2011, 12:15 AM
Nice #'s in here. Time to catch the old man on the bench. I noticed you are a fellow Missourian as well.

Mark!
05-01-2011, 05:36 PM
Nice #'s in here. Time to catch the old man on the bench. I noticed you are a fellow Missourian as well.

john next time I'm up in MO, we gotta get some sets in.

Hug some nice work bro. Love the rack and weight "tree". Sweet deal on the weights too. I just found a set for $100 with a weight tree, and like 10 other miscellaneous weights. I love craigslist and people who buy stuff just to sell it.

PaulM
05-01-2011, 05:41 PM
Nice Home gym setup you put together there!

hug dog
05-02-2011, 07:41 AM
Squat 5 160
5 200
5 240
5 280
3 325
8 240
Bench 5 145
5 180
5 215
5 250
3 295
8 215
Row 5 135
5 165
5 195
3 225
8 165

3 sets of wieghted dips. 20 lbs. reps 8,8,6
3 sets curls 45lb bar 10's rep 8,8,6
3 sets skull crushers 25's 35's, 45's on both sides

Squat - It is still very easy but my back was really tight when I was done. I gardened all weekend so my back was tight and sore all weekend.

Bench - This was not easy. I was exhausted from the squats (not used to 8 reps) - The only hard part was 295 for 3 reps. We are going to start with Bench today and see if I can get the 5 reps. I doubt it but I will give it my best.

Rows - The 225 was tough. I am really worried about my form on this lift. I need to watch some more videos.

hug dog
05-02-2011, 07:49 AM
john o - After last week of benching not sure I will be able to catch dad anytime soon. I hope it was just a bad week. But, yeah live in Springfield Missouri. Tried working out at the ozark fitness down here. They are horrible so switched up to a very small gym and finally have my man cave now.

Mark! - Yeah I almost bought another set of weights the other day. bench, bar, and 295 lbs of weights for $75 but I really don't need any more weights at the moment. I need to take a couple picture of what I ended up with as my set up. It is workout out nicely so far.

Paul M - Thanks - We have gotten a ton of rain the last 2 weeks. Well over 20 inches so around the walls there is some watter. I have all weights on plywood and/or rubber mats.

hug dog
05-03-2011, 07:29 AM
Workout from 5/2/11

Bench
5 x 145
5 x 185
5 x 225
5 x 260
5 x 295

Squats
5 x 165
5 x 205
5 x 245
5 x 285
8 x 325

BO Rows
5 x 135
5 x 170
5 x 200
8 x 225

Close Grip Bench
12 x 135
10 x 185
8 x 205

Bench - Started with bench because the weight is hard for me. I have never pushed up 295 more then once today. It almost felt like everyone was a grinder but some how I kept going. Getting 5 feels amazing. Not sure what feels better? 350 once of 295 5 times? Friday I get to put up 300 3 times!

Squats - well my lower back and been tight very very tight I think I need to remove some volume from the workout. Not sure which part though. While I am working out I feel great but after and especially in the morning like this morning.

Rows - I watched another video and riptoe talked about taking it from the ground everytime so I decided to give that a try on the last 2 sets. They were not easy but I pushed myself to do a couple extra to get used to the form. (need to video these because I still don't feel like I am doing them right)

Close grip bench - My workout partner has some issues with his triceps so we decided to do a couple sets. They were easy but hard on my wrists. He used wrist straps on the last sets and I think that is a good idea. I did the set because I need to get some more muscle endurance.

All and all a great workout.

Mark!
05-03-2011, 07:38 AM
Solid work Huggins. I personally like pressing heavier weight for fewer reps, but 295 x 5 is definitely awesome stuff. You ever try wrist wraps while benching and squatting? Solved my wrist pain.

hug dog
05-03-2011, 08:16 AM
I am crazy. that is what I ment to say Wrist wraps not straps. But no I haven't but I think I will give them a try with front squats and on close grips thanks.

Right now my body likes heavy weight and less reps.

borracho
05-03-2011, 12:58 PM
Solid work brother...doing awesome. I think you'll have an ear to ear grin when you hit 300x3. I know I would!

hug dog
05-04-2011, 07:38 AM
It seems there is a trend to my journal. Everytime I start to gain I get hurt. Woke up yesturday with a sore and stiff lower back. Woke up this morning with a stiff and painful lower back. If I move at all sharp pains run up and down my back. Since today is supposed to be front squats and deadlifts I am thinking that I will take the day off and hope that everything is ready to go for Friday.

hug dog
05-09-2011, 08:53 PM
Well, my shoulder and back don't feel healed but I decided to give a workout a try.

Bench

5 x 135
5 x 225
5 x 270
1 x 305 big miss

Squats

5 x 170
5 x 240
5 x 280
5 x 350

silly curls superset with skull crushers. used curl bar. 25, 35, 45, 55 lbs on each side of the bar.

So my hurt shoulder certainly slowed me down. I had a bunch of friends come over sunday night and they maxed. Josh his 225, chester 280, tom (brother) 310, Jarred (315) me (I just had to beat everyone so I put up 325) 305 hurt my shoulder instantly but I really don't think anything is that bad.

Squats I was very worried about my back so I was really really slow and focused on my form. 350 was a bit difficult to stay in good form but wasn't hard to lift.

brihead301
05-10-2011, 06:34 AM
Definitely some solid numbers in here man!!! Your squat and bench KILL mine...but I've got you on the deadlift :evillaugh:.

Good to see you back, and lifting strong after the injury though!!! I'm still jealous of your home gym you lucky bastard!!!

tom183
05-10-2011, 07:41 AM
Moving some big numbers in here mate. Best of luck with the recovery for the shoulder and back.

borracho
05-10-2011, 11:13 AM
Give the shoulder and back a break mate! Dont fuck anything up permanently just to get a workout in. With all that said-awesome numbers! lol

hug dog
05-13-2011, 11:56 AM
bri - just give it time. My deadlift will climb really fast. Thanks for the motivation. If or when I pass you I will make sure to let you know.

Tom, thanks yeah the back felt just fine but the shoulder had some pain. I took it easy.

borracho - you sound like my wife. But I am sure both of you are right. That being said I am still working out tonight even though I have some lower back pain.

Here is the workout from Wednesday.

Incline bench -

5 x 140
5 x 170
5 x 200
5 x 225

Front squats

5 x 170
5 x 210
4 x 240

Deadlift
5 x 230
5 x 280
5 x 320
5 x 360

I took it easy again and the whole workout was about 40 minutes.

incline - still easy just getting used to it. felt some pain on my right shoulder

front squats - the weight feels fine on my legs but it kills I mean kills my shoulders. So much pain.

Deadlifts - All felt great. Still easy and am excited about the next time we max on these. I expect close to 500.

hug dog
05-13-2011, 07:49 PM
alright another good workout. EVerything felt good.

Bench
5 x 140
5 x 220
5 x 260
3 x 300 PR
12 x 225

Squats
5 x 170
5 x 240
5 x 290
3 x 355
8 x 240

croc rows
10 x 55
10 x 75
10 x 95

Bench: 3 reps of 300 was about all I can handle but they did feel great. no real grinders. I could/should have done a few more reps of 225 but I just don't want to push my shoulder.

Squat: I am having my spotters watch real real close at my form. I also am working on putting the weight lower on my back

rows: I really wanted to do bent over rows but I am still worried about my lower back and wanted to give it plenty of rest.

I am contemplating starting to squat just once a week. I am just not sure my back can handle this much squatting.

john o
05-14-2011, 07:17 PM
You're working through it quite well bud!

hug dog
05-16-2011, 07:51 AM
John - it is interesting. I feel just fine while I am working out and even that night. The main problem I am having is at night. My upper and lower back is waking me up somewhere around 4 and 7 am. It I take a hot shower and even lay on the ground (wood floors) then I can get it to "reset" and it will be sore but not feel like a stabbing pain. I think I am going to get rib of all back work on Wednesday. Maybe Deadlift on Monday and Squat on Friday. I will see if that helps this week. I can focus on my weakness on Wednesday. My shoulds.

hug dog
05-16-2011, 07:41 PM
Tough tough workout tonight.

Bench -
5 x 150
5 x 185
5 x 220
5 x 265
4 x 300 another PR

Squats
5 x 185
5 x 225
5 x 275
5 x 315
5 x 365

BO Rows
10 x 135
5 x 175
5 x 205
5 x 230

superset
skull crushers and 45lb bar curls

12 x 35 25
12 x 45 35
10 x 50 25

also did about 10 minutes of cardio after workout.

Bench - I was supposed to do this 5 times. my shoulders just haven't felt right. 4 about killed me - I am going to keep adding weight and just do as many as I can. I might go back to removing some weight and doing a couple reps to at least have more quantity.

squat - up until today every set felt light so I decided to add another 10 lbs. yep 365 was tough but I think I can add some weight. I have lost a bit of gut so i made my belt one spot smaller. Not sure if that was the issue or endurance or if I am really this weak.

Rows - had to cheat up the last rep but I do like these. Still don't feel like I do them right. I think i am going to start doing a couple reps of one arm rows after I am done.

accy - I hate hate hate curls - but i do like big arms and right now I don't look like I work out. What good is it to bench 350 if I don't look like I can.

Mark!
05-16-2011, 10:23 PM
Good work Huggins. I'm with you on the looking the part gig, that, along with health is really why I'm here. I'm strong, but damnit I wanna look the part too.

john o
05-17-2011, 09:27 PM
Excellent workout Hugs!

hug dog
05-18-2011, 08:30 AM
Mark! - Yeah I am maxed out on bench, squat, and dead then I will really start working on the health part. I would really like and need to drop 25 lbs.

John o - thanks. My arms are still a bit sore. I love that feeling. Since lifting for strength my arms haven't been very sore.

hug dog
05-19-2011, 07:25 AM
I had an interesting workout. My body felt the best it has in a couple weeks but not my mind. For some reason I just couldn't get motivated

incline bench
5 135
5 155
5 185
5 205
5 230

Deadlift
5 240
5 275
5 325
5 405 PR
455 miss

seated over head press

5 x 115
5 x 155
4 x 175

shrugs
10 225
10 225
8 245

calf raises
15 x 135
15 x 135

Incline bench - I had very little shoulder pain. That is the good news. The bad news is 230 was tough.

Deadlift - Well we made a big jump for the last set. After some research we have decided to rest each rep on the ground. In the past we were just touching. This makes it much more difficult but better I think. 405 x 5 was really hard for me. Not sure if my back isn't healed correctly or my back is just really weak. My workout partner (who weighs 20 lbs less then me) was able to pull 455 twice.

OHP - well I believe that my weak link in my bench is my shoulders. I am going to focus on them and I know that my second weakest link is my chest. Not sure how to isolate them unless we start doing flys of some kind?

Shrugs - never really done these before but figured at least they would help with grip. Last set I lost grip.

So we are going to go to a powerlifting meet in Joplin Mo on June 4th. We are just going to see how they lift and see if we can compete in next years meet. I have a feeling my workout partner will be competitive in his weight class but I don't think I will be anywhere close. My best guess is I will have to get under 200lbs to really have a chance.

john o
05-19-2011, 11:37 PM
Have fun at that meet. There is always someone stronger so don't let that stop you.

hug dog
05-20-2011, 07:12 AM
John - I have been to 2 meets in the past but it has been a while. My workout partner has never been. We are excited. I certainly understand that I won't be the strongest but if I can't even be stronger then my workout partner then I already will know I will be number 2. That is a bit depressing.

Mark!
05-20-2011, 04:16 PM
You can always work grip on shurgs, but when you lose grip you can put on straps to complete the sets for the traps. I use straps on all accessory work, simply becuase I'm not working grip on them, shrugs, rows, dumbbell stuff, I use straps. Main lifts, I don't, and of course on specific grip work, no straps.

hug dog
05-20-2011, 10:13 PM
Mark - Thanks that is a good idea.

Bench :
5 x 150
5 x 190
5 x 235
5 x 275
2 x 320
1 x 320
7 x 235

Squat:
5 x 190
5 x 265
5 x 315
3 x 375 PR for 3 times.
8 x 285

Bent over Rows
5 x 135
5 x 185
5 x 205
5 x 225
4 x 245

Power cleans
5 x 135
4 x 185

Bench: Obviously I have already stalled but I want to keep up with my workout partner. Since I tried 320 for the second time I was a bit exhausted and when I tried the 8th rep of 235 I let my feet lift up.

Squat: All felt easy. I need to watch my form close. The last set of 375 I leaned over a bit. Still got depth but could be dangerous.

Rows: Did a bunch of research on these today. I decided to keep my back parallel with the floor. I was really wore out by the last set but they felt good

CLeans: I really just did the cleans to make sure I was hitting all of my back.

john o
05-23-2011, 02:05 AM
Good job on tried and true exercises!

hug dog
05-23-2011, 08:31 AM
Thanks John o - I just realized I have never squatted 375 for more then 1 rep until Friday. I love PR's so I had to change the last post and add that is was a PR!

I also forgot to post that my workout partner is trying to beat me at all of my lifts so he tried to squat 340 3 times. He got it up once. (new PR for him) but the next one just went straight down the the safety bars.

borracho
05-23-2011, 02:20 PM
Nice job dude...looks like things are all moving nicely. Congrats the DL PR! 405x5 is a huge milestone

tom183
05-23-2011, 05:37 PM
Nice squat PR.

Mark!
05-23-2011, 05:47 PM
Awesome squatting man, good progress.

hug dog
05-23-2011, 08:27 PM
Another good workout.

Bench:
5 x 145
5 x 190
5 x 235
5 x 280
3 x 320 Pr for reps.

Squats
5 x 185
5 x 225
5 x 275
5 x 320
5 x 375 another PR for reps

BO Rows
5 x 135
5 x 185
5 x 225
5 x 255 (PR for weight and reps)

Power cleans
5 x 155
5 x 205

Lots and lots of arm work.

Curls with 45 bar and skull crushers with 15 lb bar. supersets

10 x 25lb - 12 x 35lb
8 x 35lb - 10 x 45lb
6 x 40lb - 7 x 55lb

2 sets leg lifts for 2 reps.

Bench - Let me just say I am a stud. haha. but really I have certainly never done that much weight that many times. Felt great. Shoulders felt good and I tried a 4th time but my partner basically had to curl it off of me.

Squats - for some reason 275 felt really heavy and I almost feel forward. Then I started focusing again and everything else went up fine. 375 was a bit of a grinder for the last two reps but I think that is a good thing. I need to figure out how to do that.

Rows - still not great at these and the last rep I didn't quite touch the last one but I feel like I am finally squeezing my shoulder blades together.

Power cleans - these are really hard after squats because it is hard to get down low but I think they will help my grip and help my flexibility.

arms - these rocked. I am sure they will show down my workout wednesday but they were really fun.

Borracho - thanks they were tough and I hate being overshadowed by my workout partner but I am glad I could pull them. With my body type and size I should be a lot farther then i am.

tom183 - some days squats feel really easy and then the next day they seem really hard and miserable. I really want to get to 405 for reps. That is a big goal of mine.

Mark! Just trying to catch you! I am a bit behind but I am trying. Your determination really helps me stick to it.

borracho
05-25-2011, 09:16 AM
Dude...that was a HELL of a workout! Awesome work hug!

hug dog
05-25-2011, 09:23 AM
Borracho - well it royally screwed my back up. Went to Chiropractor and of course he said I should rest my back for a while. he wants me back in there in a few daya. I have an upper back rib that keeps popping out place. Quite painful. I have a big Golf weekend planned for this weekend so I might listen to him. I am thinking about just doing some light work tonight and being more careful. That is hard for me to do.

hug dog
05-26-2011, 07:19 AM
After doing some research and a lot of thought I have decided to take the rest of the week off. I actually got to sleep until 7 today so that is great news. Right now I don't have much pain so maybe some rest and stretching will get me to a good point to start on monday.

john o
05-27-2011, 12:55 AM
Sorry about the back issues Hug. Tremendous bench session fwiw.

hug dog
05-31-2011, 07:30 AM
For some reason I just can't help myself -

Friday 5/27

Bench -
5 x 160
5 x 200
5 x 240
5 x 280
2 x 325
8 x 240

Bench - Didn't have a lot of energy and I needed to get the house ready for company for the weekend. My endurance is just sad.

Monday 5/30/11

Bench
5 x 165
5 x 205
5 x 245
5 x 285
2 x 325 I tried for 3 and my workout partner had to assist on the last one.

12 inch Box Squats
5 x 185
5 x 235
5 x 280
5 x 325
3 x 375 fail

BOR
3 sets of 12 x 135

Machine push downs and curls -

Bench - Another off day. I had an exhausting weekend and didn't get much sleep at all. In the Hospital from 10 till 3 with my wife. Anyway it is quite frustrating to have 325 feel so heavy. But on a positive note shoulder and arms felt great.

Box squats - We built some boxes using 2 x 6s and plywood. They look and work great. I haven't used a box in a while so the last set didn't go as I had planned. It seems they take allot more explosion and leg strength to get off the box. Very fun exercise.

BOR - Due to my Rib issue I decided to go light on these last night. Not that it did any good, I woke up in pain but after a foam roll and exercise ball stretch everything felt much better.

Arms - The only reason I am reporting anything on these is because I am having a bit of elbow pain. I think it is from skull crushers from last week.

hug dog
05-31-2011, 07:33 AM
john o - Stupid stupid Rib - I have read and heard that sometimes the problem will just go away. I am going to try to focus on exercises that shouldn't irritate it.

Thanks - Bench has never been my best exercise but I think I am getting the most out of it right now.

borracho
05-31-2011, 10:56 AM
Thanks - Bench has never been my best exercise but I think I am getting the most out of it right now.

To say the least! Bench is going very well dude...take care of the rib.

john o
06-01-2011, 12:46 AM
Use your workout partner to motivate you, but don't take it as failure if he handles more weight. All you can do is your best. It's looking good to me Hug! Hope the wife and rib are better.

hug dog
06-02-2011, 07:33 AM
Borracho - I am not taking care of the rib. Woke up at 5:30 in lots of pain took a shower and moved to the couch and feel back to sleep around 6:30 then woke up at 7.

John 0 - That is not in my nature. In my mind I should be the strongest, faster, toughest person around. If I was working out alone I would think I am crazy strong right now I am just 2nd best. I guess I am using it as motivation. My wife has taken the week off and is feeling much better. Today she went back to work.

Workout Wednesday 6/1/11 (got 2 PR's)

INcline bench

5 x 150
5 x 185
5 x 215
5 x 245 PR in reps

Deadlift
5 x 250
5 x 315
3 x 405
1 x 425
1 x 435 PR

I think you call the next thing rack pulls. But I basically put the weight on 6 inch boxes and used mostly my back
10 x 225
8 x 315

Seated shoulder press
10 x 135
5 x 185
9 x 135

Shrugs
12 x 135
12 x 225
10 x 245

calf raises
12 x 135
12 x 225
12 x 225

incline bench - the last rep was really really hard. I do love the way these feel.

Deadlifts - For some reason I just don't have any energy. I know I could have gotten 5 x 405 but since we are resetting each one it makes it hard to focus. NIce to get a PR.

I know my back in the weak link so that is why I did the "rack pulls?"

I feel my shoulders are the weak link on bench so that is why I did the presses. Very weak at these but little by little I will do better.

Everything else was really just trying to stay balance and I think shrugs will assist in deadlift at some point.

tom183
06-02-2011, 07:55 AM
Nice session. Solid PR's.

john o
06-02-2011, 10:18 PM
It's not in my nature either. Big PR!

Mark!
06-03-2011, 01:16 PM
Awesome deadlifts huggins. Great job on the PR.

borracho
06-03-2011, 01:55 PM
Congrats on the DL PR...but I wouldnt call 185x5 weak on OHPs....pretty strong actually. And 245 on incline for reps is awesome too! Nice work hug!

hug dog
06-03-2011, 02:15 PM
Tom, John, and Mark - thanks guys. I think I have finally figured out what I was doing wrong with deadlifts. I don't think I was getting my hips low enough. I was really using all back. But Wednesday wasn't a very good example of my strength because my legs were still wore out from box squatting on Monday.

I am going to the power lifting meet in Joplin Missouri Tomorrow. I will report back if there is anything interesting. My workout partner and myself plan on competing next year. (Only if I get under 200. I was 212 this morning)

hug dog
06-03-2011, 02:20 PM
borracho - I guess being strong or having strength is relative. I say weak when my workout partner can do much more and I feel like I should be able to keep up with him. Inclines provide a ton of stretching on my shoulders and chest and feel so good after a heavy day on Monday. And Yeah I Love PR's I am only 20lbs away from my workout partner on Deads now!

Mark!
06-03-2011, 03:32 PM
They're still having a meet in Joplin? That's pretty awesome considering all the crap they just went through. Should be an awesome, inspirational event. Note on deads, my deads shot up when I started getting my ass down lower. Before every lift I think to myself, drop the ass and pull!

hug dog
06-04-2011, 08:44 PM
Mark! thanks that is exactly what I am hoping for.

Workout from Saturday! - today

Bench
5 x 165
5 x 245
5 x 285
2 x 330
8 x 245

Box squats
5 x 200
5 x 285
5 x 330
3 x 380
8 x 285

BOROWS

5 x 135
5 x 185
5 x 215
5 x 250
8 x 185

lots and lots of arm work
press downs and curls

Note about workout - it was about 90 degrees in garage.

Bench - 330 was a bit disappointing but I am only a man:). The second one barely got up. I went for a 3rd and basically had to have it pulled off me. I actually also did a negative with 405. My workout partner did 405 with just a bit of help from me. He should get close to that soon.

Squat - it was just to hot to be doing squats but I lived. 380 seemed like it might be impossble when I broke it but some how it just went up easy enough.

Rows - Rib felt great today so I decided to get back to it. I sure hope I don't regret it tomorrow. 250 was hard but well worth it.

arms - my workout partner is just crazy so we just kept on going and going. Felt good.

On a side note I went to the lifting meet and it helped me a lot. I will be competing next year as long as injuries stay away. There was certainly some impressive people. most used a shirt in benching but one guy was 165 squated 475, benched 330, and dead lifted around 500. these numbers might be off a bit but they announced he set an American record is total weight and squat. I also saw someone pull around 630 at 205 that also set some type of record. It was a great experience and I certainly know I can compete with some work.

Last I weighed in I as 208 in the morning and 212 in the evening. I would need to get under 198 to compete for real. Even better if I could get under 190.

Mark!
06-04-2011, 09:07 PM
Prepare and prevail man. Have a goal, if you want 190, make that the goal, 190 it is. You've got some great strength, and you're definitely putting in some good work.

john o
06-05-2011, 10:53 PM
The meet was a good idea. You'll remember it all year as you pursue your goals. Looking good!

hug dog
06-06-2011, 07:33 AM
Mark! - Normally I would say 190 is just to small but if my workout partner can basically have no fat and be strong then maybe I can as well.

John o - Yeah I think it was. I have not quite figured out what my goals are for a year but I know they should be somewhere around s 550 b 400 d 600 Those are lofty goals but I think I can get close to at least 2 of them.

hug dog
06-06-2011, 07:34 AM
oh yeah i played tennis last night for about 2 hours so that was my cardio for the month. haha.

hug dog
06-06-2011, 08:09 PM
Well I think I learned my lesson. I need more time to rest and maybe get more cardio in my life.

Bench -
5 x 165
5 x 205
5 x 245
5 x 285
1 x 330

Squats
5 x 190
5 x 240
5 x 285
5 x 330
1 x 405 PR
3 x 380

B O Rows
5 x 135
5 x 175
5 x 205
5 x 225
5 x 260

Situps

Bench - what a poor sad excuse for a bench session! 330 felt like 400. I struggled the entire time.

Squats - I needed to get a new Pr on squats so I decided to go for 405. felt like I could have put up more. on the 4th of 380 i bent over a bit must so I just used my good ole safety bars.

Rows - last set what tough but I need to man up and give it a try.

The Pr made the workout a bit better but still not great. I am sore out.
3 x 380

hug dog
06-08-2011, 09:45 PM
this was a short but good work out.

Incline bench:
5 x 160
5 x 190
5 x 215
5 x 250 PR for reps

Deadlift
5 x 260
5 x 315
5 x 370
3 x 420 PR for reps
1 x 420

seated over head press
4 x 185 missed 5th.

calf raises
10 x 185 3 sets

Ok, incline went better then expected. Didn't need any help with 250.

Deadlift. I decided to try a couple sets sumo style. wow I have no idea what I am doing with sumo and they wore me out. Need to stick to conventional. they are certainly getting stronger. I even recorded the last single to see how it looked. Not enough hip movement but not to bad. I will post video latter.

ohp wanted all 5 but it is super hot and I was a bit exhausted.

calf raises. Really like these but they seem to hurt my knees. I need to adjust the box I am using.

All and all a decent day. Not a whole lot of work but enough I think.

update on how body feels. Left elbow giving me problems and even though rib doesn't wake me up any more it still isn't right.

tom183
06-09-2011, 03:37 AM
Nice squat PR.

250x5 on your incline bench was a PR as well was it not?

hug dog
06-09-2011, 08:06 AM
Tom - Thanks you are right. I actually had 2 PRs from last night. I must have been tired. Deadlift - still very weak but it is growing and incline. I have adjusted the post.

hug dog
06-10-2011, 07:24 PM
I worked on the truck a bit before working out tonight and I didn't eat well so I had a very poor workout. I actually recorded some of my lifts but for some reason I can't get them off of the camera. Anyway this is what it looked like

Bench :
5 x 155
5 x 215
5 x 250
5 x 290
340 bad bad miss. Really didn't even try just had it pulled off.
10 x 225 with chains
5 x 225 with chains

12 inch box squats
5 x 190
5 x 240
5 x 290
5 x 340
2 x 390
8 x 290

That was it..

Bench - My workout partner didn't work out. He just spotted me and for some reason I could get motivated to push the 340. Quite irritating. First time even using chains on flat bench. I like them.

Squat - Garage was really hot and I tried a 3rd with 390 but just didn't have the motivation so I just sat on the box pushed a bit and had my spotter basically deadlift the weight off my back.

I am losing my workout partner for a month starting next saturday. So we are going to try a practice power lifting meet. We are going to workout normal on Monday then rest on Wednesday and then go to a gym with AC and squat bench and deadlift.

Here is how I would like it to go.

Squat:

Bench:

Dead

I know I can get the first of each one the second is possible and the 3rd is crazy but figure I will go for it either way. If I miss the second I will just try again.

hug dog
06-15-2011, 08:15 AM
Well I had some meetings Monday night and then I was set to workout last night but workout partner was sick and my 12 weeks along wife begged me to stay with her. So that means I will be maxing on Friday. At least i will have plenty of rest but my eating has been really bad this week.

hug dog
06-17-2011, 05:15 PM
Well things never go the way they are supposed. I have been sick the last two days and didn't go to work today. Either way decided to try the max day. Had no energy or motivation but wanted to push my workout partner. Here is how it went.

weight 216 - heavy heavy

Squat
420 good PR
455 miss
455 miss

Bench
340 good
355 miss
355 miss

deadlift
455 good PR
475 miss

Squat - 420 very easy - went way to low on 455 the first time and couldn't get the motivation for the 2nd attempt. I basically went down to fast. Oh well 420 is a PR.

Bench - aaahhh - sad sad. 355 didn't even move. I have no idea what is wrong. I have short legs and couldn't get any leg drive.

Dead - 455 felt amazing - simply amazing - great form and very fun. for some reason didn't have any energy on 475 and just couldn't pull hard enough. really i was just happy to get a PR.

Workout partner hit S - 350, B - 340, D - 475 TOTAL 1165

So I have a total of 1215 PR

john o
06-18-2011, 11:33 AM
Nice mock meet!

tom183
06-18-2011, 05:35 PM
Squat and deadlift PRs in the one session. Great work.

hug dog
06-20-2011, 08:35 AM
john - Thanks we spent over 2 hours but the last meet that we watched took over 3 hours. It seems my starting weight where ok, but my 2nd weight needs to be lowered with all lifts.

Tom - I planned on getting PR's in all 3. Squat was really depressing. I feel like I have so much power and then I keep getting to low and can't recover. OH well that is what the Mock meets are for. 11 1/2 months till the real thing!

Mark!
06-20-2011, 06:07 PM
Put some plates on the ground before you bench, and use those to get leg drive instead of the floor, or use anything of equal height that won't move for leg drive if you're having trouble man. Depending on what bench I use at the gym, if I have to I'll use two bumper plates since they're rubber and won't move when pushed in to with my feet. Solid work though man, doing some good stuff. I think I'm a lot like you when it comes to strength, I want to be the biggest baddest mofo around, I want both aesthetics and strength, and feel I SHOULD have that. Just takes time, and that's the biggest thing I wanted that was granted to me this year, patience. I used to fret over losing weight/gaining strength, used to get REALLY pissed with a bad weigh in/session, but now I look at the whole enchilada (damn enchiladas sound good) instead of the quick picture. I think at "x" amount of lbs lost each month or month times 12 months = this much weight loss, and it makes me feel awesome knowing that in just a short year, I'll have my goal/be really damn close. It's all about planning, attacking, and meeting our goals that we've set. Sorry for the rant, ha.

hug dog
06-21-2011, 07:34 AM
Good stuff Mark thanks - I have used the plates in the past for benching but I am worried about getting used to them and then not being able to use them at a meet. I do believe I am looking a bit more like I workout. I know my shoulder and chest are bigger. I just need to get rib of this gut so my muscles stand out more. I am trying to have a mind set like you do.

So I played a round of golf yesterday. Scramble style, lost the game by the way. Anyway I didn't get home till 7 so I ate dinner and starting working out about at about 8:30. It was very humid. I am doing a 3 day split for the next month because I don't have a spotter and want to give my body a break. This was Back/Biceps day.

Deadlift - light
12 x 225
10 x 275
10 x 315

chin ups - body weight - I am really bad at these. I am going to try to focus on these for th next month.

one arm Rows

75 lb x 10 x 2 sets

close grip pull downs
not sure the weight so just calling them plates
5 plates x 20
7 plates x 15

curl bar barbell curls

55lb x 20
75lbs x 15

Ok so I only worked out once last week and I couldn't miss the first workout for this week. It was a poor workout and I am just starting this new type of workout. I would like to do high reps for about a month and then I will go back to powerlifting style again. Normally I will push myself a lot harder but just didn't have anything in the tank.

On a plus note today was the first morning I woke up with no pain in my back. Not sure why that was but it was a nice feeling.

tom183
06-21-2011, 05:25 PM
On a plus note today was the first morning I woke up with no pain in my back.

Good to hear. Why the change to higher reps?

hug dog
06-21-2011, 08:49 PM
tom - I have decided on focusing on losing some weight for a month or so. Plus I don't have a spotter for a while so I thought it would be safer. Once my workout partner is back in town we will start heavy weight again.

today was the first cardio day. I took my wife (pregnant) for a walk and sprinted every block then sprinted back to her and then would walk to the end of the block. If that makes any since.

hug dog
06-23-2011, 07:26 AM
First day of my new wednesday workout. poor work.

Wednesday: Pushing (Chest/Shoulders/Triceps)
- Flat Dumbbell Bench Press 12 x 55, 10 x 85, 3 x 105 barbell 205 with chains x 12
- Incline Barbell Bench Press 8 x 65, 6 x 85
- Dips weight plus 25 lbs 6, 8
- Seated Dumbbell Military Press 40 x 12, 55 x 10, barbell 135 x 10
- Overhead Dumbbell Extension to much left elbow pain
- Side Laterals 10 x 15, 15 x 15
- Pushdowns elbow pain
- Pec Deck (1 set) then flys 40lbs x 10
shrugs - 135 x 12, 225 x 12

Just messing around with the weights to figure out what feels ok. the 105 dumbbells were awkward 25, 2 x 10, 5, I believe I hurt my right shoulder trying to get these in place. It is killing me today. I have been having left elbow pain for a few weeks but it really starts hurting with some of these exercises. I will have to adjust them.

hug dog
06-23-2011, 07:29 AM
oh, and woke up at 6:30 and my lower back was a solid knot. Hot shower and a massager and I will able to sleep for about 20 minutes before getting back up. So back pain came back. starting to think it might be caused by bench. I will keep taking notes until I figure it out.

hug dog
06-23-2011, 03:41 PM
I just heard the coolest thing. One of my good friends that I grew up with did very well in a meet here is Missouri.

The best raw lifter of the meet was Tim Wallach from St. Louis, MO. He totaled 1410 at 181

Highlights of the 5th APA Blue Springs MO meet

http://www.powerliftingwatch.com/node/15838

hug dog
06-24-2011, 08:55 PM
Lower Body workout -

Squats - 225 x 12, 275 x 10, 315 x 8, 350 x 4
Strait Leg Deadlifts - 135 x 12, 225 x 8
walking lunges 9 steps per leg with 40 lb dumb bells
Leg Curls, and extensions
calf raises

So a very average workout. Not used to squats with this many reps. My lower back was so tight after squats I could barley function. I should have toughed it out and did the last set reps of 350. Next week.

tom183
06-25-2011, 01:17 AM
Squatting 315 for 8 and 350 for 4. Good stuff for a 'very average workout'

hug dog
06-27-2011, 08:28 PM
an extremely fast workout.

Deadlifts
275 x 12
315 x 10
365 x 6

pull ups
7, 7, 7

one arm row
60 x 12
85 x 10

face pulls
10 , 10 - all stack

barbell curls
10 x 85
6 x 85

hammer curls
10 x 25

So it was a fast and exhausting workout. I only have 30 minutes so I was a bit rushed. I might have pulled my hamstring but it is already feeling much better. I wanted to get 8 of 365 on deads but it slipped and i was already hot.

hug dog
06-28-2011, 07:58 PM
Great workout. Had lots of energy and even weeded and walked my prego wife afterward.

- Flat dumbbell bench 12 x 65, 10 x 75, 8 x 85, 6 x 95
- Incline Barbell Bench Press10 x 65, 10 x 75
- Dips weight plus 25 lbs 10,10,15
- Seated Dumbbell Military Press 40 x 12, 55 x 10, 65 x 8
- Side Laterals 12 x 25lb, 10 x 25lbs
- flys dumbbell 12 x 25lbs Pec Deck (1 set) then flys
shrugs - 225 x 15, 225 x 15

Everything felt much better this time.

hug dog
07-01-2011, 07:15 PM
second good workout in a row.

Squats
275 x 12
315 x 10
365 x 5
405 x 1

lunges
50lb dumbells 3 sets of 10

leg press
390 x 8
440 x 8
490 x 10

leg extentions

calf extentions 90 lbs and 140 lbs

It might sound like an easy workout but it was way exhausting. Fun workout. I skipped the garage because it was close to 100 outside. I went to a local gym that I used to workout at.

Mark!
07-01-2011, 07:26 PM
Good work with the squats man, workouts in the heat suck a lot.

hug dog
07-02-2011, 09:39 AM
Thanks Mark! doing the higher reps is really tough but I like it. It was really nice having a leg press there. I haven't touched one of those in years. It was fun maxing the little thing out. The heat is just so draining. I feel like I can't breath when it is that hot and I am doing squats.

john o
07-02-2011, 05:13 PM
Nice training Hug!

tom183
07-02-2011, 06:58 PM
Solid training. Right there with ya on training in the heat.

borracho
07-04-2011, 11:05 AM
Nice to see the change up in routines...think it'll do good for you long term.

hug dog
07-05-2011, 07:36 AM
Worked out last night at 8. This is why they say be careful with the sun and heat!

Deadlift

275 x 12
315 x 10
365 x 8
385 x 6 (PR for reps)

Pull ups body weight 8,8,8

Started doing some abs and then... Got crazy sick to my stomach. Decided I had to shut it down took everything I had to turn off fans and light and get in the house. Passed out in the hallway where my wife found me 10 or 15 minutes latter still sweating like crazy and having a terrible stomach pain. After cool towels and her help made it to a cold shower then finally made it to bed where I passed out until 4:30 this morning. My back was cramping some bad so I had to take a hot shower and foam roll and fell back to sleep around 5:30 till 7.

Yesterday we got up early and went to catch a sell at a thrift store. (well worth it) Then I mowed the lawn in the heat and then went swimming in the heat for 2 hours. Finally I ate a whole bunch of fried chinese food and then decided to go work out. I have a weak stomach to fried food anyway but I really feel that I just got dehydrated.

hug dog
07-05-2011, 07:42 AM
john o - Thanks, I kind of fell like I had to start over but I was wiped after the workout. The one thing I forgot to note was that I went for a 2nd rep of 405 and my back rounded so I just let the cage do its job

Tom - yeah heat is really beginneingto be bad. I can do easy workouts in it but any "max" effort workout are just to much. The only ones I can handle are my new bench days.

Borracho - yeah I know I needed to change it up a bit but I really miss moving heavier weight. Especially on Bench. Over all I know that I needed to train my body and muscles to have more endurance and I think that is what I am currently doing. I plan on adding a few more set in the next few weeks. It is also really nice to have a dedicated squat, bench, and dead day. IN the past 4 months I was doing 2 of each every workout.

hug dog
07-06-2011, 08:51 PM
Very average workout

- Flat dumbbell bench 12 x 75, 10 x 85, 7 x 95, 4 x 105
- Incline Barbell Bench Press 10 x 75, 8 x 85
- Dips weight plus 25 lbs superset with curls 7,10,12 reps of dips
- Standing Military Press 135 x 8, 155 x 6 arnold press 40lbs x 10
shrugs - 225 x 15, 275 x 15

I received a call so I had to quit working out early.

I do have some good news. My workout partner will be back next week so I can get back to working out heavy.

hug dog
07-11-2011, 09:18 AM
Well I should have worked out on Friday but my folks came in town and we had dinner. Then Saturday my dad and I hung out and went to a couple brewerys. By the time we got done I wasn't in the "mood" to workout. Sunday was floating around 100 all day So now we are to today and I have meetings most of the night and tomorrow night I have another meeting so it will be a whole week before I workout again which is fine with me because my w/o partner will be back and we will start working out next monday. To tell you the truth my back needed the break. It is feeling so much better.

tom183
07-11-2011, 05:32 PM
^--Sounds like a blessing in disguise. I'm sure you'll be back better than before.

KIBBLES N BITS
07-11-2011, 06:54 PM
Just skimmed through the last handful of pages Mr. Hug Dog and this is looking good! Great work in the past deadlift session.

As Tom said the unintentional deload type thingy is probably a good thing, good preparation for hitting some big numbers no doubt

john o
07-11-2011, 09:44 PM
Get some rest and hit it hard when your partner gets back.

borracho
07-12-2011, 07:02 AM
Gotta stay hydrated bud! Glad your wife was there to pick your ass up off the floor...hope that break with your pops rejuvenated you for the upcoming sessions.