PDA

View Full Version : Dimmel Deadlifts

NickW
10-23-2008, 05:41 PM
Really kick your ass, lol! I started with 315 and it was way too easy, so I figured 405 wouldn't be bad......I was wrong, lol. My back was pumped/sore for an hour and a half after I finished my 4th set! This is my new favorite exercise, lol!

huskybear
10-23-2008, 06:33 PM
very cool! I have the seminar video and missed this... need to go back and watch but here's a video for the inevitable question...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5NZs97ehGU

and you were using 315 to 405? holy shnikes bro!

Sensei
10-23-2008, 07:53 PM
Maybe the training protocol for this exercise has changed but I distinctly remember Dave Tate saying at some point in an older video that the exercise was to be done light and something like "225 would be for a 700lb deadlifter"... If you are going that heavy, it's probably not particularly fast.

Lones Green
10-23-2008, 08:20 PM
Maybe the training protocol for this exercise has changed but I distinctly remember Dave Tate saying at some point in an older video that the exercise was to be done light and something like "225 would be for a 700lb deadlifter"... If you are going that heavy, it's probably not particularly fast.

yeah, he says "315 is a tremendous amount of weight." then something about an 800 squat.

if you are doing them too heavy, it might be more of a RDL type movement.

NickW
10-23-2008, 08:21 PM
All my reps were fast, and it was easy doing all the reps.....until my lower back got pumped up so bad, reps were still fast but I took longer between sets.

Sensei
10-23-2008, 08:24 PM
Sorry Nick - I didn't realize you were the freak (in a good way) that you are...

Travis Bell
10-23-2008, 08:31 PM
No, you guys are right, its not just about speed. The whole point of them is to get blood back to the area. its a lower back rehab movement. Not to be heavy. 315 is super heavy, but then again Nick is a pretty impressive lifter :)

Big_Byrd52
10-24-2008, 06:48 AM
i know 225 kicks my ass! i dont know if i do them right, but i do very slow on the way down and push my but back rather than bend over, then throw hips foward hard for the concentric phase. 2 sets of 20 reps like that is tough! has my hams, glutes, and low back screaming

Tom Mutaffis
10-24-2008, 07:56 AM
One of my training partners does these, he is a 700 lbs puller and uses 225 lbs since it is more of a "rehab/pump" movement.

They seem pretty effective for really taxing your low back and glutes.

thewicked
10-24-2008, 01:03 PM
I've done deads like with with 315 and 405 but I can't squat for anything which makes me wonder if I'm doing them right.. but partials have always been my strong suit.. if anyone has seen me pull..it's pretty much a sldl LOL

that looks like it would be hell on the pud though popping them through like that.. I was just repping them out from below my knees as fast as I could. Looks like I answered my own question.

Travis Bell
10-24-2008, 02:03 PM
To be honest ryan, if you are doing these with 315 and 405 you are not doing them right. Its not supposed to be a strength exercise. its for rehab

SELK
10-24-2008, 04:11 PM
Ive had some pretty good luck with them bringing up my hip strength. I use 225-245lbs. 2 sets of 15-20.

I do them the same way i see people do them, as an explosive movement, bar down then snap up with hips.

huskybear
10-25-2008, 08:58 AM
Question - would these be a good rotation from Romanian deadlifts for accessory work where I don't have access to a reverse hyper for my Dynamic Lower day? Seems as though this might work to change it up a bit... am I thinking about this correctly?

Lones Green
10-25-2008, 11:41 AM
Question - would these be a good rotation from Romanian deadlifts for accessory work where I don't have access to a reverse hyper for my Dynamic Lower day? Seems as though this might work to change it up a bit... am I thinking about this correctly?

sure. do keep in mind they are supposed to be to get some blood flowing in the back/posterior chain. i like to throw them in on DE squat days. if you are looking for a strength exercise, i wouldn't go to Dimels.

huskybear
10-25-2008, 06:56 PM
sure. do keep in mind they are supposed to be to get some blood flowing in the back/posterior chain. i like to throw them in on DE squat days. if you are looking for a strength exercise, i wouldn't go to Dimels.

cool... so maybe even a good substitute every couple of waves to get blood flowing in or when I'm feeling particularly beat up... much appreciated!

Travis Bell
10-25-2008, 11:07 PM

x2 - Lones is smart

thewicked
10-26-2008, 12:12 AM
so it's not an accessory movement like say floor presses or board presses would be for the deadlift but just rehab like a RH? And the rep scheme is recommended to be high for maximum effect?

Lones Green
10-26-2008, 09:52 AM
so it's not an accessory movement like say floor presses or board presses would be for the deadlift but just rehab like a RH? And the rep scheme is recommended to be high for maximum effect?

pretty much...the reverse hyper is a great decompression tool, but when done heavy they will make your posterior chain strong as F***.

think of it like this:

Dimel dead: high rep, lighter weight, rehabilitation
full range dead (done heavy): heavier weight, strength exercise

reverse hypers (light): great for rehab and decompression (another good idea for a movement on DE or ME squat day to help with recovery)
reverse hypers (heavy): one of the best movements for gaining strength in the low back, hams, and glutes.

thewicked
10-26-2008, 12:55 PM
funny thing was i didn't realize this was an actual movement..but distinctly remember josh bryant using it to warm up with before a push pull meet.. with 585 for the fastest triple i've ever seen.