PDA

View Full Version : Can you guys recommend a good power rack

jmccown
10-24-2008, 12:13 PM
I'm going to start training at home. I've not missed a workout in over a year, but between 60 hours at work per week and going to school full time I need to be at home with my wife and daughters more. So I am going to buy a power rack to go with my collection. I am looking at something under $500. I have been looking at some online that appear to be nice. Can you guys recommend any particular one?

AJL11
10-24-2008, 12:23 PM
I just bought one for the Gym I work at from elitefts.com

It is more expensive, around 1200, but it is worth every penny. heavy duty, built to last....If you plan on keeping it for a long time, I would go with a 3x3.

here is the link.

http://www.flexcart.com/members/elitefts/default.asp?m=PD&cid=167&pid=2473

jmccown
10-24-2008, 12:27 PM
what about something like this?

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-POWERLINE-PPR200X-POWER-RACK-WEIGHT-LIFTING-SYSTEM_W0QQitemZ200258904600QQcmdZViewItem?_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116

AJL11
10-24-2008, 12:37 PM
Any rack will get the job done, it just depends on the quality you are looking for. You get what you pay for, so keep that in mind. The one you posted does not look very sturdy, but hey you can get a rack for 350 bucks so it might be worth it... I personally would wait to get a better quality rack. Do you have any training partners? Have them chip in....

The one thing I will tell you is to research the base of the rack. If you have a wide stance when you squat, or if use a sumo stance when pulling, make sure the base is wide enough for your liking.....

jmccown
10-24-2008, 01:19 PM
I don't have a training partner, so I need something that's going to be durable for sure. I really hadn't started looking for one till a couple days ago.

I do like to squat with a wide stance so what is a good opening? I think that one I posted is around 43-44" opening.

fulldaddy
10-24-2008, 02:11 PM
I was looking at the "classic" from elitefts and hesitated pulling the trigger for a few weeks. I REALLY liked the rack and I also train solo. I actually found one hell of a deal on our local "on-line" classified ads. I picked up a pretty decent parabody squat rack, 1500 test bar, and six 45's for $220. I got pretty lucky there. Through advice on another PL site I went to the local Tractor supply store and picked up a few 4x6ft 3/4 rubber flooring for $35/mat. I was actually going to start a thread on this topic.

And for AJL11 - Go Bearcats - watch out for the Ichabods this weekend :)

Auburn
10-24-2008, 02:11 PM
I have the TDS Sumo Rack and it worked for me. If I had the money to spend, I'd go for one of the EliteFTS monstrosities.

Pete22
10-24-2008, 02:59 PM
what about something like this?

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-POWERLINE-PPR200X-POWER-RACK-WEIGHT-LIFTING-SYSTEM_W0QQitemZ200258904600QQcmdZViewItem?_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116

I have the "Pro" version of the one you mention:
http://www.fitnessfactory.com/Item.aspx?ItemID=489&ItemLabel=GPR378%3a+Body-Solid+Pro+Power+Rack

In all honesty, the Powerline one looked and felt a little cheapy when they had it set up in the store. The Pro version is a lot sturdier and a bit more heavy duty. It gets the job done, but my complaints are:

1) The base is not very wide. If you squat wide or want to sumo deadlift in the rack, you'll be pretty much out of luck.

2) The hole spacing is not optimal for benching.

3) There are no j-hooks. The bar holders that come with it pretty much suck, the bar slides around and they don't feel that secure.

I'm saving up for a 3x3 rack from Elite.

AJL11
10-24-2008, 05:01 PM
Fulldaddy...

Sounds like you got a great deal on your equipment......LUUUCKY....Gonna check out some stores around my area to get some rubber flooring....Good idea.....

Washburn has been giving us all we can handle the last few yrs. I hope the cats are not overlooking them!!!! You a Washburn alum???

fulldaddy
10-24-2008, 05:34 PM
I certainly did get very lucky. The on line classifieds out here in the boonies are really big. Now I am looking for a few more 45's and pairs of 25's, 10's and so on along with some DB's.

What do you guys think is a pretty good deal on plates per/pound? I'd like to have matching DB's as well and I know that won't be cheap. I dropped by scheels just to see what they were charging and it was $1.29/lb for plates and DB's. I don't plan on paying that much. I am also looking for a regular flat bench and an adjustable bench and some equipment my wife can use. After all she suggested the weights going downstairs (in front of the fire place ha ha) instead of the garage - what a saint.

AJL11 - I am not from Washburn. I lived in Omaha and coached guys from NW, UNO, Truman, Pitt St, Emporia & so on so I am familiar with the best D2 conference in the country (my opinion).

AJL11
10-24-2008, 05:41 PM
Good deal...I am from Omaha originally. Played at NW...Great University, great conference.

Buccos1
10-25-2008, 06:39 AM
http://www.fitnessfactory.com/Item.aspx?ItemID=489&ItemLabel=GPR378%3a+Body-Solid+Pro+Power+Rack

In all honesty, the Powerline one looked and felt a little cheapy when they had it set up in the store. The Pro version is a lot sturdier and a bit more heavy duty. It gets the job done, but my complaints are:

1) The base is not very wide. If you squat wide or want to sumo deadlift in the rack, you'll be pretty much out of luck.

3) There are no j-hooks. The bar holders that come with it pretty much suck, the bar slides around and they don't feel that secure.

I have the same one and got it for about 500 at G and G Fitness. The holders were a small problem at first, but after squatting in it for a year, I'm used to it without any issue. It does not have as many hole spacings as some other racks I've seen, but I haven't had any difficulties not being able to get the proper height. It is a good, sturdy rack, though, if I'd had more $ at the time, I would have gotten an Elitefts rack.

Detard
10-25-2008, 09:50 AM

I have the same rack. I got it used for $300 with an OLY bar, a few plates, 3 mirrors, and a few different handles. I have the exact same issues with it as you, except I like the holders. I wish I could squat wide in it too. I'm thinking about cutting the base on either side, and raising them up about 6'' so that I can get bands wrapped around it, and also so I can get wider.

Chris Smith
10-26-2008, 03:51 AM
I wouldn't skimp on a power rack. That is going to be the piece that will take the most abuse (squatting, rack pulls, benching w/bands, etc). I would go around to some local gyms and see if anyone has a used one, or know of someone who has one. Gym owners are like a network--they always know who's gym is going out of business and such. I would also try e-bay and craigs list. I had a cheap power rack years ago, and it didn't fare well. Just my opinion. Good luck.

Pete22
10-26-2008, 04:39 PM
I have the same rack. I got it used for $300 with an OLY bar, a few plates, 3 mirrors, and a few different handles. I have the exact same issues with it as you, except I like the holders. I wish I could squat wide in it too. I'm thinking about cutting the base on either side, and raising them up about 6'' so that I can get bands wrapped around it, and also so I can get wider.

I solved the "not being able to squat wide" issue today. I cut 8, 12" long 2x4 pieces and glued (liquid nails) and screwed 2 pieces together, giving me 4, 3" tall by 12" long "legs". I then glued/screwed these flush with the four corners of the rack. It's now elevated enough like an EFS rack where I can get my feet under to squat wide and pull sumo. Another bonus is that I can now choke bands around the bottom of the rack too. I did this all thanks to this thread! :hello:

waynedang
10-26-2008, 06:10 PM
Check craigslist and do a local search on e bay. Buy the best rack you can!!