PDA

View Full Version : Arghhhhh!!!!

rager2500
10-25-2008, 12:34 PM
Ok, so this is my first post but I pulled a hamstring last night, Friday 10/24/08. Was doing wider than my normal squatting stance and felt something, then on my second set, it felt like my hamstrings "moved." Then the pain set it. I have a degree 1 or at the very worst, degree 2 strain. I can walk with a limp, pain is there, but no discoloration. I'm doing the RICE, icing for the next 48 hours, etc. My question is how long till I get back into training? I know you guys aren't doctors, but just some opinions. I want to get back next Monday which would be 9 days, 11/03/08. Thoughts??? I am not for going lighter in the next few weeks, I would rather fully heal and hit it hard, thats what I've always done for injuries rather than train while its not healed, and just prolong the recovery.

Lones Green
10-25-2008, 12:40 PM
i would take it easy, man. take some time off and get back into the groove of things slowly. when i've pulled a hammy in the past, i've taken a week and a half off, but i did not lay on the couch. get the blood flowing, but don't push it.

just remember this, if you train heavy and end up tearing it or something along those lines, thats just more time you are going to have to take off. ease back into training, don't push it, and keep moving.

take a look at Stump's log (you'll have to search for it). he had an injury similar to yours and kept pushing it, and it kept hurting him for a very long time.

rager2500
10-25-2008, 02:49 PM
Yea, I know if I push it early, I can possibly tear it. Been lucky in the past with other injuries, but not a hamstring pull.

huskybear
10-25-2008, 05:50 PM
lones has it right about not pushing it... last year I tore my hamstring and wasn't sure what to do, and after lots of reading decided on the following... began my mobility warm-up, foam rolling, static stretching and then focused on higher rep and form on some posterior chain movements - focused on GHR's, RDL's, 45 degree raises and higher rep squats... I took it easy but got lots of blood into the hams and was back running in 3 weeks, and comfortably running and playing in a touch football league (where I tore it) again without much issue - could still feel it being tight and have kept up with everything but the foam rolling - which is killing me now - season started again and the hammer is feeling tight, and nothing seems to open it up, but still stronger than before and on track... anyway , long rant but just some ideas that might help... they helped me get back at it