PDA

View Full Version : post workout carbs

Herandi
10-26-2008, 02:54 PM
the answer to this might have been on here a while ago but couldn't find it when i searched. question is:

If i am having a shake containing whey and sugary carbs straight after my workout (about 35g protein, 55g carbs, 350 calories) are carbs still necessary (for recovery) in the next meal (say 45 minutes later), as opposed to a protein and fat meal. And if yes, should it be more simple carbs?

thanks guys

Holto
10-27-2008, 12:21 PM
The realistic answer is that it will take 48hrs to recoup the glycogen you ate up lifting. For this reason I would want to see carbs with every meal unless you are specifically avoiding them for some reason.

The general rule of simple carbs is before, during or after training only.

Herandi
10-27-2008, 07:10 PM
thanks for the response Halto. I do understand that complex carbs are generally more desirable (except near exercise), although i thought that any types of carbs could cause fat gain if eaten a lot during periods of inactivity? thanks

vdizenzo
10-27-2008, 07:58 PM
The body is extremely insulin sensitive for about 45 minutes after your workout, that's when you should take advantage of getting your carbs in. So if you have carbs immediately after your workout, you should have a meal/shake consisting of mostly protein in that next meal. This is what I have been following with Nutrient Timing with great results.

Holto
10-28-2008, 07:30 AM
i thought that any types of carbs could cause fat gain if eaten a lot during periods of inactivity? thanks

You can thank the mainstream media for that one. Excess energy is stored as fat, regardless of whether it comes from fat, protein or carbs.

You should google the principle of energy balance, it will help to make sense of a lot of the other stuff we read about nutrition.

Herandi
10-31-2008, 04:38 AM
thanks for the replies guys.

so holto, you're trying to say that only when people are bulking EXCESSIVELY do carbs become a problem? so i can have as much wholegrain carbs as i like if i'm bulking JUST over maintenance? :)

Herandi
11-02-2008, 06:01 PM
anyone?

joelhall
11-02-2008, 07:43 PM
carbs become a problem if they raise blood glucose sharply causing an insulin spike when the body does not need it. this is why simple carbs cause fat gain during restful periods when you are well fed. the post-training meal, if youve had your shake beforehand, will be fine with complex carbs if you eat an hour or so after.

Holto
11-03-2008, 10:47 AM
thanks for the replies guys.

so holto, you're trying to say that only when people are bulking EXCESSIVELY do carbs become a problem? so i can have as much wholegrain carbs as i like if i'm bulking JUST over maintenance? :)

Not even.

Your body doesn't store more fat because excess cals come from a particular macronutrient. It simply stores all excess cals.

carbs become a problem if they raise blood glucose sharply causing an insulin spike when the body does not need it. this is why simple carbs cause fat gain during restful periods when you are well fed. the post-training meal, if youve had your shake beforehand, will be fine with complex carbs if you eat an hour or so after.

Your body stores fat after every meal. Managing insulin levels won't impact fat gain or lost if the cals are equal. Managing insulin levels, however, is a very smart thing to do for many other reasons.