PDA

View Full Version : Great squat day today

deeder
10-26-2008, 06:02 PM
My program has me squatting/deadlifting 3 days a week and the Sunday squat workout is my high rep raw work. It's brutal. Friday is my gear day and I did triples in knee wraps followed by a ton of accessory work.

My legs have been so sore that sitting on the crapper has been a chore. I was dreading today's workout as it was my last week of 8's and obviously the heaviest for 8's.

Despite being sore as hell I was actually pretty loose today. Warm up went great, no aches, no pains and felt strong and tight.

I worked up to 3 sets of 8 at 315lbs completely raw. I'm really psyched about it. For a while I was having hip/knee problems and my raw squat felt really weak all the time. Knee has been great lately and my hip is feeling pretty good provided I warmup properly.

This friday will be my last week of knee wrap work, then I get to start 4 weeks of straps down work before peaking for my next contest. I'm starting to get really excited for my next meet guys! Training is going great, my strength feels like it's way up all around.

geoffsherman
10-26-2008, 07:48 PM
Great job! There is nothing like sore legs to keep you motivated....

Tom Mutaffis
10-27-2008, 07:44 AM
That is a lot of volume - sounds like your body is adapting well though!

deeder
10-27-2008, 08:41 AM
Great job! There is nothing like sore legs to keep you motivated....
Or to make me not want to go to the gym and have to force myself. :ninja:

That is a lot of volume - sounds like your body is adapting well though!
Yeah it's a ton of volume but I seem to respond better to it than a Westside type template with lower volume/heavy weights.

FFHill
10-28-2008, 05:43 PM
Are you doing anything special to get your hip warmed up?

ZenMonkey
10-28-2008, 06:13 PM
Thats good news bro! Keep it up!

BFGUITAR
10-28-2008, 07:20 PM
Today I just squatted 315x5 with belt+wraps. It was awesome! This was my one rep max at the start of June when I was 20 pounds heavier.

deeder
10-28-2008, 10:15 PM
Are you doing anything special to get your hip warmed up?

I don't know if its special but here is generally what I do on a squat day. I start with some static hamstring, glute and hip flexor stretches. Followed by some attempts at body weight squats and some 'leg swings'. I guess they are kind of the equivalent to do cycles with your arms to warm the shoulder up. First just kicking on leg as high as you can then bring it way back behind you and repeat a few times, then bringing the leg across your body and then extending out to the side as high as you can.

I like to do a couple sets of front squats with just the bar and I sit in the hole for a few seconds on each rep trying to get my back straight. I usually do one set of back squats with just the bar then I'm pretty much ready to squat.

Thats good news bro! Keep it up!

:thumbup:

Today I just squatted 315x5 with belt+wraps. It was awesome! This was my one rep max at the start of June when I was 20 pounds heavier.

Nice work! I think almost 2 years ago I did a set of 4 with 315lbs with a belt and wraps. It took a while but I think I'm stronger than I was then... :evillaugh:

BFGUITAR
10-29-2008, 03:41 PM
Wow in two years you have done VERY well for yourself! I hope to do just as well.