PDA

View Full Version : 2 board questions

huskybear
10-26-2008, 09:07 PM
I'm using raw 2 board press as my ME movement for this wave... few questions about this...

1) I worked up to my bench 1RM and bombed it... should these 2 be equal? Now I using the 2 board as I lift raw, and off my chest is the weak point so did this answer myself?

2) What grip should I be using... my regular bench grip, or a closer grip?

Thanks for the help... I'm still trying to understand all this as I try to keep getting stronger so your patience and assistance is appreciated!

Eric Downey
10-26-2008, 09:29 PM
Well if your week off the chest it could be that you have slight bounce of the chest when you bench lighter so you dont have the chest development and your lats and rear delts are week.

The grip doesn't matter work them all. Get 1rm for all of them.

Your 2brd should be higher than your off the chest.

huskybear
10-26-2008, 09:43 PM
Well if your week off the chest it could be that you have slight bounce of the chest when you bench lighter so you dont have the chest development and your lats and rear delts are week.

The grip doesn't matter work them all. Get 1rm for all of them.

Your 2brd should be higher than your off the chest.

I try to pause the lower weights and do more touch and go as the weight gets heavier, but still do pause reps at 80-90% weights to minimize my bounce periodically...

been working hard on my lats and rear delts, so sounds like I have to work harder at not bouncing the weight at all and keep getting my lats up to par...

Thanks Eric!

BigTallOx
10-26-2008, 10:20 PM
I worked up to my bench 1RM and bombed it... should these 2 be equal?

No they shouldn't be equal. To give you an idea... I could do sets of 315x4 off 3 boards ( which is probably about the same as 2 for everybody else, I'm guessing ) about a month ago. Yesterday I did 315 (with no boards) for the first time.

Hazerboy
10-27-2008, 01:32 AM
My 2 board is about 30 lbs higher than my straight bench, (or about 10 percent higher, which will mean more for you). This is kind of crappy, I think for most people its a lot more. I would suggest doing rep work (3-5) for board presses until you're putting up some decent numbers, then putting it back into your regular ME cycle. I've found that unless I've done at least SOME rep work for whatever ME movement I'm doing at one time or another, I don't get much out of it. For other people though this certainly isn't true though.

huskybear
10-27-2008, 05:43 AM
So it looks like my 2 board should be higher than my flat bench 1RM... which leads me to also believe that on top of the work I previously mention I need with lats and rear delts... I've like actually identified a weakness properly and need to keep working this movement hard and it will translate into an improved overall bench...

Thanks as always guys!

Eric Downey
10-27-2008, 10:48 AM
I try to pause the lower weights and do more touch and go as the weight gets heavier, but still do pause reps at 80-90% weights to minimize my bounce periodically...

been working hard on my lats and rear delts, so sounds like I have to work harder at not bouncing the weight at all and keep getting my lats up to par...

Thanks Eric!

Make sure your doing heavy bent over rows. Use the same grip you bench raw with. By heavy i mean sets of 8, 5, and 3. Grab the weight and bang that s--t out. Its a power move. Pull-ups area big help to.

huskybear
10-27-2008, 12:14 PM
Make sure your doing heavy bent over rows. Use the same grip you bench raw with. By heavy i mean sets of 8, 5, and 3. Grab the weight and bang that s--t out. Its a power move. Pull-ups area big help to.

Thanks Eric... what I've got structured is on my Dynamic upper day, I'm working on my chins/pullups and then on my Max Effort upper day, I'm rotating each wave, going back and forth between db rows and chest supported rows... the waves go 3/10; 4/10; 4/6 - on the third week trying to really push the weight heavier on the rows, and adding weight to my chins/pullups... should I be substituting barbells for the db's instead? I thought that this was a good approach... I also do band pull aparts at the start of every training session as part of my mobility work and do a full shoulder warm-up a-la Diesel Crew 2 minute shoulder warm-up which addresses my rear delts every session also... on top of trap work every lower session... thoughts?