PDA

View Full Version : Should you keep drinking protein shakes the days after workout until you're not sore?

Dent
10-27-2008, 05:23 AM
...or would that accomplish nothing?

Thanks!

-JM-
10-27-2008, 05:32 AM
More importantly, are you eating enough food to rebuild and recover. Otherwise then you will accomplish nothing. The amount of food (protein, carbs and fat) depends on your goals. Aim for 1g of protein per lb of bodyweight regardless.
If you arent getting enough protein through food alone then shakes can be used at any time as convenient way to fulfill your requirements.

Detard
10-27-2008, 07:44 AM
Yes. Your body will continue to grow and repair itself many days after you workout.

Tom Mutaffis
10-27-2008, 09:07 AM
Protein shakes should be a part of your daily routine in order to rebuild muscles and recover from training. I prefer to drink a "recovery shake" (similar to my post workout nutrition) in the mornings on my off days and then another protein mix in the afternoon.

Opticen is a great choice for all around meal replacement, size & strength, and recovery.

If you are a beginner then I would focus on having a shake within 1 hour after each training session and then at least 1 shake on every off day as well. The added protein will help you to meet the 1g/lbs guideline that another person mentioned in an earlier post - which is optimal for gains in the gym.

hug dog
10-27-2008, 09:35 AM
I have wondered the same thing. I love this forum. I will start doing that tomorrow.

growthrep
10-27-2008, 10:51 AM
You don't need shakes but you do need protein each and every day if ur lifting weights regularly. Nothing wrong with shakes but don't forget to get some whole foods (tuna, steak, chicken) in.

-JM-
10-27-2008, 11:02 AM
http://lhnweb.info/img/419/h08s1009qoip/smile.gif
Anyway you need to eat more ok
Please do yoga every day.
Everyday morning at egg without boiling it.
it helps you more
bye
All the Best!!!

Well there it is. Everything you ever wanted to know wrapped up in one helpful post.:)

whotime
10-27-2008, 11:30 AM
i have atleast one protein shake every day so it is good.

Dent
10-27-2008, 11:54 AM
So the bottom line is, if you're sore, you still need to drink protein shakes even on days you DO NOT workout correct?

rbtrout
10-27-2008, 11:56 AM
That's interesting, to say the least.

Protein shakes are typically used to supplement your protein and food needs. I don't have time to eat enough at work, so I have a protein shake for cals and protein.

-JM-
10-27-2008, 02:56 PM
Instead of thinking of a protein shake as something special, think of it just as ~30g of protein and thats it. You could eat a can of tuna instead. It really doesnt matter.

Notorious
10-27-2008, 04:55 PM
So the bottom line is, if you're sore, you still need to drink protein shakes even on days you DO NOT workout correct?

No, you don't, as long as you get enough protein.

And soreness really isn't a sign of anything.

Runty
10-27-2008, 05:31 PM
I think one of the main reasons people eat shakes is because it is way easier to drink that much nutrition quickly than it is to eat it. Chugging 1200 calories is way easier to do than sit and chew through that many. Eating real food is delicious and it can be fun but for some people to get the overall calories they are trying to reach in a day, shakes are a must. They have nothing to do with soreness.

rbtrout
10-28-2008, 11:54 AM
Soreness has nothing to do with protein shakes and vice versa. They are 2 separate entities. Soreness (doms) means nothing. Protein shakes are a quick easy way to get extra protein and cals into your system. The 2 are not related.

Dent
10-28-2008, 03:10 PM
Thanks for the great responses. I'll stick with the 1g per lb intake

Do you need 1G of protein per LB EVERYDAY?

Holto
10-28-2008, 03:33 PM
Dent: It sounds like you need a nutrition plan. Some sort of framework for a daily diet. Some people get super accurate like this:

3500 Cals/day
250 g's of protein
125 g's of fat
350 g's of carbs

Some people go for 4-5 meals a day and aim for (for example) 30g's of protein per meal.

Thanks for the great responses. I'll stick with the 1g per lb intake

Do you need 1G of protein per LB EVERYDAY?

Even when you're not recovering you need an increased protein intake just to maintain lean mass. This is why it's best to get some sort of plan in place and then follow it.

Guido
10-28-2008, 04:34 PM
Soreness has nothing to do with protein shakes and vice versa. They are 2 separate entities. Soreness (doms) means nothing. Protein shakes are a quick easy way to get extra protein and cals into your system. The 2 are not related.:withstupi:
If you are looking to enhance recovery and reduce DOMS, try stretching, foam rolling, contrast showers, massage, fish oil and ETS (microlactin). Those things combined should dramatically reduce DOMS and enhance your recovery, or do any one or two of them and enhance recovery but with slightly lesser results than if you do all of them.

riptied1
11-23-2008, 03:08 PM
i'm not an expert, but what i've heard is that protein shakes give u easily digestable protein; which means the protein is readily usable for depleted muscle tissue. This is the advantage of protein shakes taken almost immediately after a workout.

Also, just curious, does anyone know how many grams can be utilized by ur body during a single meal? (my shake gives me 32g of protein/serving... would i be wasting protein if i took in more than 32g/serving?)