PDA

View Full Version : Wholemeal pasta/rice

greemah
10-28-2008, 12:24 AM
Hey

I found wholemeal pasta at a supermarket ages ago and got it, but now no supermarket I go to has it, and they seem to stock hardly of it at the one I went to in the first place. Wholemeal rice is easy to get but not a fan of how it tastes.

What are the main differences if I went back to white rice/pasta? Would it make any difference in reality?

Thanks

Tom Mutaffis
10-28-2008, 10:51 AM
Do you mean whole wheat pasta? Target sells a whole wheat 100% whole grain spagetti for under $1/box

greemah
10-28-2008, 01:35 PM
whole wheat yeah. I don't live in the US and I've only found one supermarket with the pasta and they have hardly anything of it. Rice isn't a problem but pasta is. Just wondering if it's really worth the effort?

Unreal
10-29-2008, 07:46 AM
In the end 200 calories of white pasta or wholewheat pasta all gets turned into the same junk in your body. Now if one is higher fiber or higher protein that is different. I would look for a high protein pasta or high fiber one.

azma
10-30-2008, 01:30 PM
My understanding is that, aside from the amount of fiber, the difference is in the length of the carbohydrates -- whole wheat makes your post-meal insulin spike smoother, with a less tiring crash. In your situation, I would just go with what you can find; in the end, starches are starches.

ryuage
10-30-2008, 05:20 PM
trader joes?

in the end it wont matter... from a aesthetics stand point.

from a health stand point it would be marginally better.