PDA

View Full Version : Started Weighing My Food Today. Interesting Find...

Irish Pilot
10-28-2008, 01:06 PM
Well...not really. I happen to have one of those kitchen scales, so out of curiosity I decided to weigh some of the chicken I purchased from Sams Club (10lb bags of pre-cleaned breasts baby!) as they came off the grill only to find that I have been way overestimating the weight-calories!

I have been putting anywhere from 6oz to 10oz depending on the size of piece only to find that even the largest piece was really under 6oz cooked.

Crazy.

That means I get to start eating even more!

ryuage
10-28-2008, 01:16 PM
huh ?

Irish Pilot
10-28-2008, 01:20 PM
I'm a people person. I deal with the customers so the engineers don't have to. Don't you get that? What the hell is wrong with you people!

Irish Pilot
10-28-2008, 01:22 PM
Im having a long ass boring day man...bare with me. I was surprised that my estimations were so far off on the weight-cals of the grilled chicken breast. Makes a difference over a period of time, ya know?

ryuage
10-28-2008, 01:26 PM
well, assuming you are taking the nutrition facts from the back... you should be weighing them raw and not cooked.

in essence, you are probably doing it incorrectly now since the raw weight is more than the cooked weight

Irish Pilot
10-28-2008, 01:29 PM
well, assuming you are taking the nutrition facts from the back... you should be weighing them raw and not cooked.

in essence, you are probably doing it incorrectly now since the raw weight is more than the cooked weight

Nah the fitday measurement I use is cooked, etc. Thanks for pissing in my cherios though. :moon:

ryuage
10-28-2008, 01:32 PM
why would you go off fitday if the nutrition facts for those breasts are on the back of the bag? doesnt make sense to me.

Irish Pilot
10-28-2008, 01:35 PM
why would you go off fitday if the nutrition facts for those breasts are on the back of the bag? doesnt make sense to me.

...and to the point of why I decided to weigh them.

The bag gives the nutrition info in weight when it comes to servings, not actual pieces-breasts, etc. So without knowing the actual weight of each serving, I could really only guess. Since the nutritional info matches fitday very closely in regards to servings raw, it would make sense that it should be fairly close in the cooked category as well.

Know what I mean?

ryuage
10-28-2008, 01:39 PM
doesnt it say ~4 oz = 1 serving.

Irish Pilot
10-28-2008, 01:44 PM
doesnt it say ~4 oz = 1 serving.

Yup...something like that anyway. But whats 4oz? The bag isnt full of 4oz chicken breasts. For some "servings" its 3/4 of a piece, some more, some less. The whole point is that Ive been "eyeballing" 4oz and was on occasion overguessing. I was surprised to find out how much.

Shouji
10-28-2008, 03:28 PM
What does this have to do w/ the price of tea in China?

Focused70
10-28-2008, 03:33 PM
Meat tends to decrease in volume after being cooked, due to less water weight from interaction with heat.

motor head
10-28-2008, 05:07 PM
wow... a 10 pound BAG of chicken from Sams Club... that sounds disgusting!

Irish Pilot
10-28-2008, 05:46 PM
wow... a 10 pound BAG of chicken from Sams Club... that sounds disgusting!

Umm....10lb bag of Tyson chicken breasts? I cook em up and put them in Rubbermaid for the week. Money.

motor head
10-28-2008, 06:34 PM
got ya, I guess its just me. Food in mass quantities has always grosed me out. Especially in the big box stores like walmart where everything is a wreck, kinda smells and the people look partialy dead and about 900 pounds.

Irish Pilot
10-28-2008, 07:58 PM
...Especially in the big box stores like walmart where everything is a wreck, kinda smells and the people look partialy dead and about 900 pounds.

Lol. Touche.

Painzer
10-28-2008, 08:10 PM
Umm....10lb bag of Tyson chicken breasts? I cook em up and put them in Rubbermaid for the week. Money.

Word. Cook 20 chicken breasts at the beginning of the week, and through them in the fridge for the whole week. Money indeed.

I like to do different flavors too... Tequila Lime, Barbeque, Lemon... yum

borracho
10-28-2008, 09:21 PM
Sams sells this raspberry/chipotle rub...er, sauce..marinade maybe..whatever, its ****ing awesome on some chicken breasts.

Nice office space quote, by the way.

Irish Pilot
10-29-2008, 04:02 AM
Sams sells this raspberry/chipotle rub...er, sauce..marinade maybe..whatever, its ****ing awesome on some chicken breasts.

Nice office space quote, by the way.

Glad someone caught on ;)