PDA

View Full Version : how many grams of protien do i need to have in a day?

bass slayer
10-28-2008, 04:58 PM
what do you think would be the right amount for my weight and height? (located on my signature)

how many meals a day should i eat?

motor head
10-28-2008, 05:09 PM
Hide! Search nazi's are on the way!

Pete22
10-28-2008, 05:10 PM
Most people recommend around 1g of protein per pound of bodyweight, so if I were you I'd try to get around 150-200g per day.

bass slayer
10-28-2008, 05:14 PM

im confused!!!!!

motor head
10-28-2008, 06:46 PM
sorry, just figured there would be a half a dozen posts saying to search cause it's a common question. I dont mind, alot of other people seem to. Anyway, the most protien you can possibly eat is the right amount. You can't eat to much protien, its impossible. eating 1 gram per pound of body weight is considered a really good amount of protien and 1.5 grams per pound is pretty much as high as it gets.

Titanium_Jim
10-28-2008, 07:21 PM
At your height and weight I would say as much protein as you can possibly eat. There is a gross greneralization that everyone should have 1-1.5 grams per pound of lean body mass, but seeing your height and weight I would guess you don't gain weight easy, so I would shoot for even higher than that.
Also, track your calories, and watch how much weight you gain over a period of a month, and adjust your daily intake according to whether you want to gain faster or slower.

NewGuy2008
10-30-2008, 02:57 PM
protein suggestions are for lean body mass not bodyweight. also make sure you are drinking a lot of water if you are eating anymore thn 1g per pound because, contrary to the opinion above, it is possible to eat too much protein unless you're cool with your kidneys failing.

bass slayer
10-30-2008, 03:21 PM
At your height and weight I would say as much protein as you can possibly eat. There is a gross greneralization that everyone should have 1-1.5 grams per pound of lean body mass, but seeing your height and weight I would guess you don't gain weight easy, so I would shoot for even higher than that.
Also, track your calories, and watch how much weight you gain over a period of a month, and adjust your daily intake according to whether you want to gain faster or slower.

it is very tough for me to gain weight. ive been eating like crazy and i havent gained 1 pound all week. i actually lost a 1lb. im going to have to do something different cause i dont know why i cant gain anything.

RhodeHouse
10-30-2008, 03:30 PM
protein suggestions are for lean body mass not bodyweight. also make sure you are drinking a lot of water if you are eating anymore thn 1g per pound because, contrary to the opinion above, it is possible to eat too much protein unless you're cool with your kidneys failing.

You really have no clue what you're saying. Don't give out bad advice.

OP - if you're trying to gain weight, keep your carbs high and get at least your bodyweight in grams of protein.

Just be consistant. If you're 200lbs, try to eat 4-5x a day with 40-50g per meal. Like I said, be consistant with whatever you do.

RhodeHouse
10-30-2008, 03:36 PM
it is very tough for me to gain weight. ive been eating like crazy and i havent gained 1 pound all week. i actually lost a 1lb. im going to have to do something different cause i dont know why i cant gain anything.

I can tell you eaxactly why you haven't gained weight. You're not eating enough. Period. Don't tell me you eat a lot. If you did, you'd gain weight. i started my journey with your stats. I'm 320lbs right now. Honestly, nut up and eat anything and everything you can. When you get full, keep eating. Put food and Gatorade in your car. Add cheese, mayo, and butter to everything.

This rule is much like the law of gravity. If you eat enough, you'll gain weight. So my friend, strap on the feedbag and start eating. When you get to the point where you hate to eat, you're just about at the right place. Eating is not fun and if it is, you'll never gain any significant weight.

Watch and learn:

http://asp.elitefts.com/qa/default.asp?qid=61277&tid=146

I think the 2nd and 3rd part discuss training and eating. This guy knows his stuff.

bschatz88
10-30-2008, 03:54 PM
Excellent video RhodeHouse

vdizenzo
10-30-2008, 06:48 PM
I shame Rhodes into eating when he's full. That f'er used to leave food on his plate and that's why his weight would stall. There's nothing like watching Matt sweat through the last four or five bites of a meal.

NewGuy2008
10-30-2008, 07:09 PM
You really have no clue what you're saying. Don't give out bad advice.

OP - if you're trying to gain weight, keep your carbs high and get at least your bodyweight in grams of protein.

Just be consistant. If you're 200lbs, try to eat 4-5x a day with 40-50g per meal. Like I said, be consistant with whatever you do.

actually i have 2 semesters of med school and 4 years of a biochem and nutrition ug degree that would beg to differ with you. continually eating excessive amounts of protein (like you suggested) with deficient water intake over extended periods of time will at the very least cause you kidney problems down the road. What kind of professional training or education do you have that makes you qualified to tell me that i have "no clue" about the health affects of eating too much protein?

RiSeAgAiNsT
10-30-2008, 07:16 PM
eat everything you can, i began training with a friend that was about your stats, a little taller. He began a diet of mcdonalds, a **** load of tuna and as many cookies he could eat in a day, and i watched him explode, he was pushin 220 in a few months. But you gotta remember to work had when you're eating liek that too otherwise you'll just put on alot of fat

RhodeHouse
10-30-2008, 08:13 PM
actually i have 2 semesters of med school and 4 years of a biochem and nutrition ug degree that would beg to differ with you. continually eating excessive amounts of protein (like you suggested) with deficient water intake over extended periods of time will at the very least cause you kidney problems down the road. What kind of professional training or education do you have that makes you qualified to tell me that i have "no clue" about the health affects of eating too much protein?

I'm an elite powerlifter in the SHW class (320lbs) and a personal trainer. I can see you and I will have problems. It's the pencil-necks that rely on the book. We lifters, in the real world, rely on personal experience and results. Starting my battle with weight gain at 190lbs and making to 320 puts me pretty close to the top of knowing everything there is to know. Despite your fancy degree (which in and of itself is impressive), it really doesn't lend itself to any real-world truth. And yes, at 320lbs, I am the picture of health. 120/78, 67 BPM, 18.2% BF and a resounding, "Keep doing what you're doing!" from my doctor is all the assurance I need to know that I know exactly what I'm talking about.

Don't come back with the tired ole, "I have a degree blah, blah, blah."

Now, I never said anything about the water, bit. But, in my experience, my kidneys are working just fine, despite my lack of adequate water consumption. So, wow me with whatever it is you think will impress me. I can tell you that nothing you say will move me, Doc.

And, every other guy on here is giving him good advice on how to get bigger. Why would you derail his efforts? How big are you? How strong are you? It does matter, because there no 150lbs guy, hell, there's no 250lb guy who's gonna tell me how to gain weight and be healthy. I already know and freely pass this info on to those that choose to listen.

RhodeHouse
10-30-2008, 08:19 PM
I shame Rhodes into eating when he's full. That f'er used to leave food on his plate and that's why his weight would stall. There's nothing like watching Matt sweat through the last four or five bites of a meal.

Vincent is a bad guy. He torments me to no end. I hear him in my head sometimes. When I'm ready to puke, I'll hear him say something and I'll force it down. So sad.

vdizenzo
10-30-2008, 08:36 PM
I was told by multiple Doctors that I would never lift competitively again when I ruptured discs in my lower back. While I respect doctors I do not accept their words as gospel. Eat protein and keep your fluid intake up.

jpw204
10-30-2008, 09:40 PM

HAHAHA

Travis Bell
10-30-2008, 10:42 PM
Guys, lets keep this thread on topic or it'll have to be locked